• Announcements

• TehStu

iPhone users: please read this   02/10/16

The burger menu may be missing from the top right of the forum when viewing on an iPhone. Until resolved, here is the direct url to the login page.  
    • TehStu

ALL spoilers are currently visible   02/10/16

As posts have not yet been rebuilt, all spoilers are currently visible. If you're following something (film/game) and want to avoid spoilers, AVOID the relevant thread until the post rebuild is complete. I'll delete this announcement when it's done.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smithstock

FIFA 12

755 posts in this topic

[quote name='Charliemouse' timestamp='1307547222' post='7937642']
I prefer a Feast myself , all the biscuity bits really do hit the right spot.
[/quote]
The Mint ones also leave a tingly, clean feeling.

[quote name='Pilotwings' timestamp='1307547496' post='7937653']
Cornetto here!
[/quote]
Fat end first I'm guessing?

[quote name='Dinobot' timestamp='1307554650' post='7937942']
Fat end first I'm guessing?
[/quote]

Yeah why not! I have Fat Cat -rep.

After hearing some more feedback on 12, it's interesting to note that, perhaps, it could be entirely different.

Hope springs eternal and all that.

I do feel for a dev team that have a year turn around; it's not easy. It might end up as something like 6 months of solid dev time...consider patches for the last version, downtime, bug bashing, general mucking about, sickness and holidays and it takes it's toll.

Also consider that the new impact engine has taken 2 years to make. This could be an important point; because they're really thinking ahead and future proofing - effectively working on a 2 versions constantly.

FIFA from 09 onwards has been fantastic, and while there are niggles here and there I seem to recall this happening with every football game I've ever played. I swore at PES online more than I did FIFA. And with every football match ive ever played; people over run it or won't pass half the time. That's just the way it is...

[quote name='Pants McSkill' timestamp='1307546390' post='7937598']
buy Rock Band XIII - Avril Lavigne's Cunt Smasher?
[/quote]

Diss Rock Band again and you'll get a drum stick inserted in your anus. :excl:

[quote name='Dinobot' timestamp='1307604658' post='7939000']
Also consider that the new impact engine has taken 2 years to make. This could be an important point; because they're really thinking ahead and future proofing - effectively working on a 2 versions constantly.
[/quote]

It strikes me as odd that the alternative - they work on one version at a time - enters anyone's mind. It's an iterative game, they know they're guaranteed to be releasing another version 12 months after the current, so they'll always have people dedicated to longer scale changes. It's the only way to get anything serious done - without it, we'd never have had FIFA 08 on which to build.

It's never been made clear that this is the case, and certainly this never used to happen.

It strikes me as the obvious way to go about any yearly release if you've any intention of keeping up with technological progress.

Otherwise we'd really only get the same game with a data update that some people still bizarrely believe happens.

No, you'd get a game with about the usual amount of updates that they've been churning out since 09. Last years "features" weren't anything at all. The heavily pushed be a goalkeeper feature was just changing the camera angle, a ball trail, and letting you move the player around. The actual saving was so automated it was still mostly the CPU AI taking over. It wasn't a real goalkeeper mode at all.
The menus for it probably took longer to create than the rest of it.

What can you pinpoint that took them 2 years to refine from 09 to 11 that was introduced in 11?

As Fry says, there won't be just one dedicated team working on FIFA 10/11/12/13/etc. Sure, they'll have a group of people working on each individual title for iteration-specific development, such as for coding menus, implementing game modes and general testing and bug-fixing, but they'll have other teams constantly working round the clock 12 months a year on longer term series-related projects.

They will have a team dedicated to just finding and implementing new technology into the engine all year round for example. There will come a cut-off point probably 4 or 5 months before release where whatever level the engine is at it'll be frozen in terms of developing new features and tested/optimised the limit to be used in the upcoming version. Work will still continue behind the scenes on making improvements to the engine though, they're almost certainly working on new additions for FIFA'13 already.

The statement that they've written everything from the ground up for 2012 is largely misleading I'd imagine.

...and the point was not disputed, rather that this is most likely a change they've made the last couple of years rather than precious when FIFA was utterly toilet.

[quote name='Dinobot' timestamp='1307730274' post='7943514']
What can you pinpoint that took them 2 years to refine from 09 to 11 that was introduced in 11?
[/quote]

I can't personally pinpoint anything, but I'd be surprised if everything new was thrown together in just six months. It's rather easy to look at something after the fact and determine how to do it - just look at how quickly clones can appear - but coming at it from the unknown will always take longer.

Any decent sized software company with an iterative product, in any business, is going to have some people working on R&D.

Besides, we already know they have multiple teams as the guys working on the tournament games have been confirmed to be a separate team. Do we believe those guys are therefore working to a two year schedule for one game and do absolutely nothing that isn't included in later FIFA games?

There's a lot of crossover. Silly discussion this, it's not like I don't know how it works or what likely timeframes are for features etc :P

[quote name='smithstock' timestamp='1307813115' post='7944797']
You don't. Prick.
[/quote]
??? Huh? Trolling?

[quote name='Dinobot' timestamp='1307789429' post='7944356']
There's a lot of crossover. Silly discussion this, it's not like I don't know how it works or what likely timeframes are for features etc :P
[/quote]

Maybe you do, I dunno, but I stand by my original statement that it strikes me as odd. It wouldn't at all be how I expected things to be done. Six months just isn't very much time, so if that's what they've been doing it surprises me.

Release date confirmed for [url="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-22-fifa-12-release-date-announced"]30th September[/url].

Martin Tyler's co-commentator has been announced for FIFA 12.

[spoiler]The Silver fox himself...

[img]http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/images/aug_08/gun__1217579692_smith_anfield89.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

"Smith will join regular FIFA commentator Martin Tyler as one commentary team - with EA also introducing a second commentary team comprising Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend. Players will be able to choose either of the commentary teams for their matches".

CT and AT will never darken my FIFA 12 experience.

As long as there is still the option to turn on the Dutch commentary, everything will be fine.

Andy Grey dropped for saying naughty things about women.

Rooney still on the box while using prostitutes.

Hey; if you're on the game...

Smith's not bad. Not surprised that they dropped Gray at all though. I'd love to have a George Hamilton option, but I think I've been saying that for years.

[quote name='smithstock' timestamp='1309508649' post='7984193']
I read otherwise that Townsend team will be commentating during cup matches :/
[/quote]

I had also read that, but it's apparently possible to set it so that you always get a particular commentary team. Tyler and Smith it is then.