Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smithstock

FIFA 12

755 posts in this topic

Listening to the EA podcast this week, it hints at a FIFA 12 reveal which was then confirmed over Facebook earlier today. The first FIFA 12 screenshot will be released tomorrow at 5pm

So similar to last year: is it too early to announce or show off the new FIFA to public? There isn't any information that I've come across about what they will be focussing on but what would be welcome additions?

FIFA 08 bugs and exploits will still be present so I'll avoid ranting about dominant strategies and un-avoidable problems until they dedicate enough resources to balancing the game properly. It's all about the accessibility, "improvement" of current features and introduction of new or returning ones.

Thoughts?

I was expecting some bad news, or a hilariously needless new feature; why the "Oh Dear"?

It will be the answer to all of our prayers! Nothing but bug free gloriousness!

I reckon FIFA 11 is the best football game yet. Generally, a player won't get a goal unless he shows some kind of skill, whether that's taking a player on or using a well timed pass. The game falls down when a defender should get the ball and then it goes through his legs (no where near as bad as it was on 10, though!), he miscontrols it, he tackles but still loses the ball, or worst of all, he chests it straight into the path of an attacker or into the net.

It is also very hard to stop aerial bombardment.

I think the defenders make too many mistakes out of your control, but also do too much good stuff out of your control. This can be seen when you let go of the controller and see a Puyol, supposedly controlled by the player, making tackles or blocking shots of his own free will.

So I think they should make successful interceptions or blocks almost 100% effective, but make the initial action the bit that takes skill, forcing the player to time their tackles/blocks better, but handing them all the power. This would see more people attacking down the middle of the pitch instead of having to go wide constantly.

I still struggle to see how all this could be implemented though. And I can't see a good way to stop crosses being so powerful, either, beyond the crosses themselves being less accurate.

It's easy to moan about FIFA, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun were a lot of the random elements that enrage us all from time to time not there, at least to an extent.

I played FIFA 09 recently and the idea I and others had of it being completely fair were a little ill-founded. It has some awful 'probably a goal every time' sweet spots and it's often so predictable.

And I can't see a good way to stop crosses being so powerful, either, beyond the crosses themselves being less accurate.

EA: We got this, simply revert to the FIFA 10 system, where all headers missed.

Steering Group Item 351

Date: 25/09/11

Shall we ban heading in the area?

Voters:

Tyler

Wincho

themomentbefore

Baring (3 votes)

Sean_L_99

disciple

Dylan Tiplady

tony_almeida

Let's not forget the number of times a team could easily clear a crossed ball, but for some reason the defender refuses to jump (or does not 'lock on' and ends up running away).

I reckon FIFA 11 is the best football game yet. Generally, a player won't get a goal unless he shows some kind of skill, whether that's taking a player on or using a well timed pass. The game falls down when a defender should get the ball and then it goes through his legs (no where near as bad as it was on 10, though!), he miscontrols it, he tackles but still loses the ball, or worst of all, he chests it straight into the path of an attacker or into the net.

I think the defenders make too many mistakes out of your control, but also do too much good stuff out of your control. This can be seen when you let go of the controller and see a Puyol, supposedly controlled by the player, making tackles or blocking shots of his own free will.

So I think they should make successful interceptions or blocks almost 100% effective, but make the initial action the bit that takes skill, forcing the player to time their tackles/blocks better, but handing them all the power. This would see more people attacking down the middle of the pitch instead of having to go wide constantly.

I still struggle to see how all this could be implemented though. And I can't see a good way to stop crosses being so powerful, either, beyond the crosses themselves being less accurate.

It's easy to moan about FIFA, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun were a lot of the random elements that enrage us all from time to time not there, at least to an extent.

I played FIFA 09 recently and the idea I and others had of it being completely fair were a little ill-founded. It has some awful 'probably a goal every time' sweet spots and it's often so predictable.

Good post timmo, I think the balance of power between defenders and attackers in the air is wrong and often the ball will skim over a defender who can seemingly only jump 2cm off the ground and be smashed in my a leaping salmon of an attacker (often in amongst several defenders). If it was the other way and the only way to score was my making a run into space then I think that would be more fair.

I just got beat 4-3 in the league, all headers conceeded.

Boo hoo

A bit more info on Fifa 12:

- FIFA 12 introduces the 'Impact Engine' which properly tracks and formulates contact between players, including their hips, knees etc.

- The AI will also keep track of areas of the body players have been injured during a match. Players can also become injured off the ball if abused too much, especially late in the game.

- FIFA 12 also introduces 'AI Vision Game' (rough translation), which promises to make passing more realistic. If you try to complete a pass to a player that's not within visible range, for example, it's less likely you'll complete the pass. EA hopes this will get rid of "blind passing".

- Personality Plus is more developed and should influence AI players' passes this time.

- AI is said to be "more human", with each player acting more or less according to his abilities. One example given is when an AI player sees Fabregas coming towards him with the ball, he'll act more carefully.

- OPM describes "new presentation" of matches in FIFA 12, which are said to be very much inspired by English football crowds.

- The game includes three new arenas, this time with integrated benches along the sidelines and "impressive lighting effects" according to OPM France.

- Integration of a new short dribble with the left stick.

- The game features a new camera that's noticeably closer to the ground.

- There's also a new menu interface that appears to be simpler and more ergonomic than before.

Source:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/299690/news/fifa-12-first-details/

Original Source (for anyone who can read french!):

http://fifa-fuma.com/playstation-magazine-officiel-nous-devoile-fifa-12/

Any thoughts?

" when an AI player sees Fabregas coming towards him with the ball, he'll act more carefully. "

What the hell does this mean?

- FIFA 12 also introduces 'AI Vision Game' (rough translation), which promises to make passing more realistic. If you try to complete a pass to a player that's not within visible range, for example, it's less likely you'll complete the pass. EA hopes this will get rid of "blind passing".

Why would they want to remove 'blind passing'? I'd say it's a big part of my game learning a formation and knowing where my players should be positioned at all times, whether they're on the screen or not. Slightly disappointed to hear about this 'feature'.

" when an AI player sees Fabregas coming towards him with the ball, he'll act more carefully. "

What the hell does this mean?

Not sure if this was a form of sarcasm that went over my head (it's late), but I assume it means the AI won't charge in at you if you have a skillful player on the ball, it'll probably stand off you and wait for an opportunity to put a tackle in.

Let's not forget the number of times a team could easily clear a crossed ball, but for some reason the defender refuses to jump (or does not 'lock on' and ends up running away).

They've done this to make headed goals easier. The biggest issue is that only 1 player from each team can jump for the ball (excluding the keeper). Makes positional play in defence a mockery if you're not chosen by the god of FIFA to jump for the ball.

The vid looks cool, but the players don't appear to have the ability to use their arms to break their fall. Everyone falls flat on the face/head.

And each player randomly pulling his hamstring is going to be as annoying as handballs in Pro Evo

Menu Improvement = 4 years too late

But appreciated all the same.

fifa-12-menu-scan-e1305469226411.jpg?w=600&h=344

Menu's (navigation) are still EXACTLY the same if this image is also anything to go by aswell. FFS <_<

LOLZ! You didn't really expect them to re-write an entire menu system did you? The underlying code saves them money across all their sports titles.

As Rooney is on the cover can you "Be a Ho". And Superinjunction the ass out of people.

Gotta say, the impact engine looks great, so does the injury system. The crucial thing is they get the balancing right.

I still see little need for an injury system. Does this really matter when it comes down to gameplay?

It's another nothing system that isn't going to make much difference at all.

Just another "feature" that is hyped up as "buy it there's new stuff" that gets ignored once released.

Apart from the obvious online issues, a few things I'd like to see in FIFA 12 (from a selfish point of view of course).

• Smaller, mobile teams actually being competitive against the bigger, physical teams. FIFA 11 is geared more towards strength than any other aspect of the game I feel.
  • Crossing. The laser-guided, homing missile accuracy of 11 OUT and 10's crossing back IN please.
  • Defenders. F**king JUMP!!!

That'll do me.

See, it's a BAP League staple for me, I don't know if I could get used not hearing that familiar cry at the start of every game on a Thursday. :P

Eurogamer, EA love PIE.

"Revolutionary not evolutionary."

EA has formally announced FIFA 12, "a revolutionary not evolutionary" next step for the series.

The crux of the "transformation" stems from a Player Impact Engine that EA has been beavering away at for two years.

"The Player Impact Engine processes decisions continuously in real-time at every point of contact on a player's body to create an infinite variety of natural and believable outcomes in every collision," EA explained.

These physics also apply to injuries, as the game analyses "the force of the collision and impact on the body". Send a non-fully recovered player out at your own peril.

We've already seen the results of the Player Impact Engine in a leaked FIFA 12 video.

However, the Impact Engine will only power the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game. FIFA 12 will also be released on PC, Wii, PS2, 3DS, PSP and the iOS trinity of platforms.

Complimenting the Impact Engine will be precision dribbling for tight control, tactical defending and pro player intelligence. The latter bestows rudimentary personalities upon footballers. Kaka will apparently be "more likely - and quicker - to pick out a run from a teammate farther away than a player with poorer vision".

Elsewhere, the Career mode will expand to tell "real-world storylines" that involve player morale, on-pitch form and league position.

There's a "brand new", customisable menu system tailored towards your choice of arena player, Virtual Pro and favourite club.

Matches gain a "real-world broadcast look and feel", "dramatically improved lighting", "more authentic crowds" and a new default camera angle.

On PS3, up to seven people can play FIFA 12 together offline. On Xbox 360, that number is four.

Online, up to 22 people can play FIFA 12 together in full 11 vs. 11 matches.

They so need a disclaimer when they say stuff like "Online, up to 22 people can play FIFA 12 together in full 11 vs. 11 matches."

IGN impressions.

A few years back, EA completely reinvented football (soccer for Yanks) with full 360 degree movement. FIFA 12 has just as significant an improvement, offering great player control and some excellent new gameplay additions. Seriously, once you play FIFA 12, it's impossible to go back to FIFA 11.

There are four major improvements to FIFA's gameplay: Redefined control, new physics engine, better defending, and player-specific AI. EA gave me its spiel, which sounded good, but then I got a chance to play a match in FIFA 12. It's not boastful on EA's part -- FIFA 12 is an incredible improvement over FIFA 11.

FIFA 12 Player Impact Trailer

True control

For the past few FIFA titles, it appeared you had good control of your player. But turning was an odd thing. Players circled as if they were in a car. Now, players can literally put their foot on the ball while standing and rotate around. Momentum impacts a player (as does his skill), but overall there is more finite control. This might seem like a minor change, but its impact is staggering when comparing how FIFA 12 handles compared to FIFA 11.

Footballers with great skill can dance with the ball, adjusting pacing, sucking in defenders and then exploding with a deft move to swing around them. And I mean roll right off their back. The sophistication of close contact is impressive, even with just two games of FIFA 12 under my belt.

It's Gonna Hurt

This is thanks to the new impact engine, which adds more realistic interactions between players. Players pull at one another, as they fight for position. Feet tangle. You'll see hard crashes, painful flips, and the physical toll a match can have. Nothing looks or feels canned and the level of detail is to the point of being able to see a foot get caught and an ankle turn the wrong way for a sprain.

In fact, injuries occur based on how players collide. FIFA 12 knows every major muscle and bone in a player's body and how force can impact them. EA promises players will hobble when they've pulled a hamstring and otherwise offer more believable reactions to their injuries. In my first game, I had two injuries and in the second there were three. Hopefully the injury bug isn't too prevalent. While realism is great, no one wants to see their team decimated after just a few games.

Get Defensive

I've always been a fan of FIFA's simple defensive system. Hold a button and you bear down on the ball. It's easy to use and even allows novices a chance on defense. But it can also leave you exposed, since you go right for the ball handler. FIFA 12 solves this. You still hold a single button, but you defend a zone around the other player. At any time you can move forward and initiate a tackle or whatever else you want to do, but if not, you keep some space from the ball to try and avoid allowing Lionel Messi to blow by you.

More FIFA 12 screenshots.

This allows players to try and edge offensive players into a corner or better intercept passes. It gives more control over how you defend the ball, which means that you don't have to defend every player the same way.

I found defending far easier and it was like my football IQ automatically jumped a few notches. Suddenly FIFA started feeling like a legit match. It's actually tougher for the AI to exploit the common mistakes a gamer might make in FIFA 11. Once you see the benefits of using spacing to defend against the ball (instead of always rushing forward for a tackle), it's hard to think about playing FIFA any other way.

Clever Girl

EA calls it Pro Player Intelligence. What the hell does that mean? Players understand who is on the pitch with them and act accordingly. If you have Peter Crouch, chances are Rafael van der Vaart is going to lob a lot of high crosses near the goal to take advantage of his height.

This also means players will play to their strengths. For example, FIFA 12 takes into a player's field of vision on the pitch. Kaka is going to be able to recognize an opening in the defense for a teammate running down the wing and get him the ball, whereas middies from the bottom of the table won't see the option.

It's tough to judge this from two games, but it sounds promising.

If EA can deliver, FIFA 12 will leapfrog FIFA 11's gameplay. At this point, the only real competition for EA is last year's FIFA. And the team seems determined to outdo itself. That's pretty awesome to see.

FIFA 12 takes into a player's field of vision on the pitch. Kaka is going to be able to recognize an opening in the defense for a teammate running down the wing and get him the ball, whereas middies from the bottom of the table won't see the option.

Now this I do not like. When playing 1v1 its not the players on the pitch whose FOV should be determining stuff like that, it should be mine.