The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

• Please log in to reply
593 replies to this topic

#31 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Chill, money. There's plenty of options. I'll badger the woman's dad, he does this shit like a boss, I'll ask him what he uses.

#32 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Thanks mate.
I've come down off the ceiling now ;) It was either rant on here or yell at the cat!
Quite a few of the paints seem to be partly salvageable with the addition of some water and much stirring. They're not the same as they were, but just about usable. They will need replacing but all is not lost right away

So my first bit of painting since 2007. Mainly dry brushed, not my best but I'm just getting back into the swing of it. And I have to keep reminding myself - it's for a boardgame

Posted Image

#33 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5145 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

Makes me wanna paint my Space Hulk minis.

#34 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

Makes me wanna paint my Space Hulk minis.

Yes! I sort of had the same urge when I put together my 3rd Ed Space Hulk, but the Space Hulk mini's are so stupidly detailed, it's almost intimidating. I think each Terminator would take me a week. :blush:

#35 Benji Dude

Benji Dude
  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Check out the Vallejo "Game colour" range, it's all the same as the GW colours but made by Vallejo so they'll last.

#36 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5145 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Yeah intimidating is the right word. I'd have to relearn all the stuff I forgot years ago, so I think I would be painting all the 'stealers first.

#37 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Check out the Vallejo "Game colour" range, it's all the same as the GW colours but made by Vallejo so they'll last.

Right, ta. I'd picked up a couple of their paints before (they're the ones that haven't dried out!) and I wondered if they were still recommended or if something else newer and swankier has come along.

I'll have to look round Salute next week and see if I can pick some up there.

#38 Endemion

Endemion
  • Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:13 PM

GW have used shit pots for a few years which is a big cause. Their New/current ones are fine, the previous ones sucked, the ones before that sucked, the ones before that... were good. Literally after a 10 year cycle of shittier paint pots they are back to the same kinda style/feel lids now as they had back then *sigh* I'd like to think this is in part due to feedback i've given to their Reps but I am pretty sure that'd require them to have a clue and listen. My current GW rep told me how he doesn't like the new Grey Knights codex as its daft and out of character to have inquisitors working with the Grey Knights... I assumed he was joking and went all sarcastic along with him, he wasn't and didn't seem to like me taking the piss out of him :) Not sure if this is better or worse than their other main type of rep the over enthusiastic annoying git.

erm, end of GW Rant.

But yeah Vallejo are good and basicly produce all the GW colours (not sure if they do the ones GW have discontinued, if so that'd be kinda useful)

#39 Lyon-Jacques

Lyon-Jacques
  • Members
  • 1528 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

Thanks mate.
I've come down off the ceiling now ;) It was either rant on here or yell at the cat!
Quite a few of the paints seem to be partly salvageable with the addition of some water and much stirring. They're not the same as they were, but just about usable. They will need replacing but all is not lost right away

So my first bit of painting since 2007. Mainly dry brushed, not my best but I'm just getting back into the swing of it. And I have to keep reminding myself - it's for a boardgame

Posted Image

Awesome! I think the bears and the Rage Drake are my favourite models in the box (least favourite probably the World's Tallest Dwarf, seriously she's huge, I expect she's not a dwarf at all just a big dumpy but this way she can say it's genetic). Are the dried up gw paints the ones in the hard plastic bottle with the black lids? I complained about those too, turns out that plastic is actually slightly permeable (but you can see the colour of the paint better :facepalm: ). The people that made the old old gw paints are still going and called Coat d'Arms these days.

Do the beaky brains next!

#40 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

I've managed to salvage a lot of my paints, but one or two are beyond saving. I'm trying to get the basic colours on this Ork done but it's taking a long time.I keep noticing where I've fucked up and even though I'm trying to ignore those bits for later overall I never really realised how time consuming it is when you're just starting. Tres difficile.

#41 idespair

idespair
  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

I tend to use Privateer's P3 paints nowadays - they're thinner than GWs, but still have a decent pigment content. I've looked at Vallejo, but as I don't use a wet palette (silly, I know) I'm not keen on dropper bottles.

#42 waddie

waddie
  • Members
  • 2795 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

I've had some really weird interactions with Vallejo paints and various inks and washes, including them curing with a sort of oily finish that made the wash bead, and a seemingly well-cured finish breaking down into flakes the moment the ink touches it.

I love their "Smokey Ink" though. Mixed with Tamiya Smoke it gives a great oily finish to metals. Mind you, the dropper is clogged every time I use it without fail.

#43 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:44 PM

Spent the evening battling with blending, I'm still really shit at it, but still I finished another mini. I was going to post a picture, but I find any close up pics I take of my minis look terrible, every tiny imperfection screams at you. And despite it looking pretty good in real life, the camera makes them look poo :(

EDIT: Oh sod it, here goes... Be kind :(

Posted Image

#44 Benji Dude

Benji Dude
  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

But yeah Vallejo are good and basicly produce all the GW colours (not sure if they do the ones GW have discontinued, if so that'd be kinda useful)

The game colour range has all the old GW colours in it, things like scally green, terracotta red and so on.

Spent the evening battling with blending, I'm still really shit at it, but still I finished another mini. I was going to post a picture, but I find any close up pics I take of my minis look terrible, every tiny imperfection screams at you. And despite it looking pretty good in real life, the camera makes them look poo :(

EDIT: Oh sod it, here goes... Be kind :(

Posted Image

Dude, looks pretty good to me.

#45 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 15169 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, that's really nice, far better shading than I can accomplish. Really nice work on the cloak in particular. Stop yer whinging, y'daft so and so!

#46 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5145 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

Haha yeah, that's looking pretty sweet! How many minis are there in the WoA box?

#47 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Thanks guys. I'll stop my moaning.
It's a bit of a case of my expectations exceeding my abilities, leading to frustration.

One of the main problems is my eyesight. I've been short sighted all my life but I'm really noticing it now. I can see fine with my glasses on, however they make everything about 50% smaller. So what is a tiny mini becomes bloody microscopic. If I take my specs off it's always a "whoa! this thing is huge!" moment. But it's impossible to paint without my glasses on. I've tried. I might give the magnifying glass another try, but never really got on with it - it's an extra layer of 'fiddle'. It's frustrating being at a disadvantage like this

Wahwahwah
Right, got to stop moaning...

#48 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

Haha yeah, that's looking pretty sweet! How many minis are there in the WoA box?

42 in total; 30 regular monsters, 7 villains & 5 heroes.

I honestly can't see me doing them all. Wanted to get some of the common monsters done then see how I feel. Maybe then the heroes.

#49 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

Posted Image

#50 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

:lol: :Hug:

#51 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

Right, my Ork has been flat coloured. It's a bit wonky in places but not too bad.
...now what the fuck do I do?

#52 Benji Dude

Benji Dude
  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

Give it a wash of either Thraka Green or Ogrin flesh on the skin, Devlin mud on any clothing then give it a some highlights.

Assuming of course, you're using GW paints and own the washes...

#53 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

I went with dry brushing/highlighting in the end. It turned out shit :lol:

#54 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

Finished the first batch of 9 minis from Wrath of Ashardalon. I won't clog the thread up with more pics, but you can see them all here https://picasaweb.go...thOfAshardalon#

I'm pretty happy with the result all things considered. But I did have a bit of a "why and I doing this? moment when I finished. I'm not even playing the game, and I'm unlikely to ever get that many games of it. I suppose I'm painting for the fun of painting, which is cool. But if I'm doing that, why paint these nasty poorly moulded plastics!

#55 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 15169 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Because it's good practice on figures that don't matter too much if they go wrong, meaning you can then transfer your skills onto nicer models when you're done? That's how I'd justify it, anyway :D

#56 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

These Grell might be the most annoying and shit things I've ever painted. Utter, utter bastards.

This isn't mine, but it gives you an idea
Posted Image

#57 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9959 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

After Salute, the urge to paint was rather strong. This is coming along very, very quickly. Not especially neat, but I'm enjoying doing it so much, I really don't give a monkeys. It's got the effect I'm looking for at the moment. Should finish it tomorrow I reckon...

Posted Image

Oh, it's an A.O.W Barbarian (cool figure), plus what I hope is a snake's head. I say hope, because it took about 30 minutes of squishing putty around until I got bored and thought it'd work.

#58 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

I think it looks special good. I'm going to kidnap a few of you painter boys to keep in the cellar, just in case I get a game that comes with miniatures.

#59 Cocky

Cocky
  • Members
  • 2042 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

What paint did you use for the gold? It's an incredibly smooth and reflective finish.

#60 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 9959 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

What paint did you use for the gold? It's an incredibly smooth and reflective finish.

Just a mix of Scorched brown and dwarf bronze as a base, then working this up with mithril silver in the mix. Well, I use Vallejo Air metal Chrome, but the effect is similar. That and some washes of purple in there too. To be honest, it the photos which make it appear brighter than it is I think. Always a bugger to take it even remotely accurately.

Oh, I finished it by the way (well, as much as I wanted to...):

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users