• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Loki

Loki
  • Members
  • 3165 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNZrjtcw4cY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

TERA's groundbreaking combat system will set a new standard in MMORPGs, offering all of the depth of an MMO with the intensity and gratification of an action game.

TERA's innovative action combat system allows players to step into a world where their actions, teamwork, and daring combat expertise - not statistics - give them a chance to become true heroes.

The real-time dynamic battle system gives players more control and constant involvement in the action! No more point-and-click or repetitive cycling through a palette of spells and skills. Rather than locking onto targets automatically, the position of your character and the timing of attacks, blocks, and dodges determine the outcome of each confrontation. As a result, combat is more intuitive, exciting, and realistic.

In TERA, players impact the world directly, dictating the flow of the economy and maneuvering through a dynamic political system. Players are free to choose their alliances and enemies, rather than being locked into a specific faction based on their character's race. Teamwork matters more than race or class, as players face off against an array of terrifying foes that threaten their world.

TERA will support game controllers at launch, enabling players to take TERA to their living room for a console experience on a media PC, or use the keyboard and mouse at their desktop PC for a more traditional MMO experience.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, who's been keeping an eye on this? The BETA is set to start next month in Europe.

#2 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5722 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

I've been keeping an eye on it but it looks like another Korean Grindfest and after playing Aion I don't think I can be bothered to go through it again. The targetting system looks pretty excellent though and it'll makes healing look extremely dynamic and fun to play and the game itself looks amazing.

#3 Takizawa

Takizawa
  • Supporters
  • 9578 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Seen a few bits and bobs about Tera, certainly look lovely. I'm tempted to try out/revisit an MMO again, LOTRO still gets played a fair amount but i've still got an Aion and FFXIV account... Then there's Rift, which I quite enjoyed from the beta.

Any idea when this is due a release?

#4 Loki

Loki
  • Members
  • 3165 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

11 months later and I received an email announcing the beta.

You can sign up from the homepage.

#5 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

Unlock the framerate

Navigate to "TERA\Client\S1Game\Config"

open up the file "S1Engine.ini", and change

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE

to

bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

and save

-----

Fix the FOV

Navigate to "TERA\Client\S1Game\Config"

open up the file "S1Input.ini"

underneath the line "bEnableMouseSmoothing=true" (you may want to change that to false while you're in there :D ) add the line

Bindings=(Name="x",Command="fov 100")

(make sure there is no ; at the start of the line like there are with the lines underneath it.

and save

When you're in game, pressing x will change the fov to your desired value.

-----

Here's a video showing the difference between the default fov of 60 and 100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-CnTvRe_U

#6 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5722 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Closed beta key give away here

http://www.eurogamer...ys.php?id=87138

#7 Loki

Loki
  • Members
  • 3165 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

I received an email regarding the open beta too (it starts on the 20th April).

it says there won't be a character wipe afterward the open beta either :unsure:

#8 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Does the game have an initial cost, then fees? Or is it a kind of F2P thing? Is there some kind of free trial? I'd like to give it a punt but don't want to pay up-front for the first weekend, in case it's another SWTOR for me.

#9 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 3982 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Downloaded it yesterday, played 10 mins this afternoon and uninstalled it.

Very, very pretty but there is no way I could pay a game with an aesthetic so clearly aimed at teenage boys and pervy old Asian men.

I couldn't really comment on how the combat and mechanics of the aim system is, due to my very brief flirtation but it all seemed OK, just didn't do anything to make me even contemplate purchasing it.

#10 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Downloaded it yesterday, played 10 mins this afternoon and uninstalled it.

Very, very pretty but there is no way I could pay a game with an aesthetic so clearly aimed at teenage boys and pervy old Asian men.

I couldn't really comment on how the combat and mechanics of the aim system is, due to my very brief flirtation but it all seemed OK, just didn't do anything to make me even contemplate purchasing it.

As someone who has Dead or Alive 4 on my 360 shelf, I could probably see past that if the game is good - thing is, unlike Guild Wars 2, I don't have enough faith in it to pay anything before giving it a go, but I do want to try it because of its much-publicised real-time action-based combat. Hopefully I'll get a beta invite, though I just registered today.

#11 Loki

Loki
  • Members
  • 3165 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

As someone who has Dead or Alive 4 on my 360 shelf, I could probably see past that if the game is good - thing is, unlike Guild Wars 2, I don't have enough faith in it to pay anything before giving it a go, but I do want to try it because of its much-publicised real-time action-based combat. Hopefully I'll get a beta invite, though I just registered today.

There's an open beta that starts on the 20th April where you should be able to try it out.

1. Go to https://account.enmasse.com and create an account

2. Click on 'Enter Code' on the Account Overview page and type in TERABETA

3. Download the client and update it

4. Wait for the 20th :P

It definitely has a monthly fee too. Not sure on the amount though. It's definitely not going to be a GW2 contender from the looks of it either way.

#12 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

There's an open beta that starts on the 20th April where you should be able to try it out.

1. Go to https://account.enmasse.com and create an account

2. Click on 'Enter Code' on the Account Overview page and type in TERABETA

3. Download the client and update it

4. Wait for the 20th :P

It definitely has a monthly fee too. Not sure on the amount though. It's definitely not going to be a GW2 contender from the looks of it either way.

Thanks, just set it off downloading now. Of course I don't intend for it to be a Guild Wars 2-beater at all, but I'll give it a go.

#13 Loki

Loki
  • Members
  • 3165 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks, just set it off downloading now. Of course I don't intend for it to be a Guild Wars 2-beater at all, but I'll give it a go.

No worries.

But yeah, I've got it downloaded already just give it a shot.

#14 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5722 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

I took one look at the gyrating child with a giant pole and playboy bunny ears and closed it, I must be getting old because I was genuinely offended.

#15 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I took one look at the gyrating child with a giant pole and playboy bunny ears and closed it, I must be getting old because I was genuinely offended.

Erk. Say what?!?

#16 Tzigone

Tzigone
  • Members
  • 1781 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Erk. Say what?!?

https://www.google.c...20elin&tbm=isch (potentially NSFW)

#17 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

OK, so not the best writeup for this so far :lol:

Still, it's downloading (it's actually slowed to 40kbps, not sure if that's my ISP but either way, it'll finish eventually).

#18 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6938 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Just so you're aware En Masse is the US publisher and you can only play on the US servers if you get it from them. Frogster is the EU publisher so need to purchase it from them to play on the EU servers, they don't work on each others.

The EU version will also be doing an open beta next weekend which I'm quite looking forward to giving a try. The world does look gorgeous and interested to see what the combat is like, even if it's just something fun to play solo to cap for a few months whilst waiting for GW2 I'd be quite happy.

#19 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5722 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Am I getting old or is this seriously fucked, maybe it's because I have a daughter now and it stirs some protective parent trigger but I find it hard to understand how anyone can think that's ok.

#20 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hmm, my client download hit 40% then seemed to slow down to 20kbps, which would take 4+days to download. Decided to close it and I'll re-open it tonight to see if it's faster.

#21 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Wow, you people weren't kidding about the art direction. I almost fell over laughing just now; I climbed a ladder for the first time, and when I got to the top, the female elf avatar I quickly made to try out the beta clambered up to the platform, clearly taking a moment to part her legs under the ridiculous dress she's wearing so as to show off her underwear. It really does seem as though a lot of the visuals have been designed for maximum T&A.

#22 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11655 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I really like this. The combat is refreshing for a MMO

#23 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

I on the other hand have come away from an hour of the beta extremely unimpressed. The combat is certainly different, I'll give it that. However, when the first few quests are proper Everquest style "Go speak to this person, kill five of these, fetch this for me" with a bit of tenuous text to justify it, and the world is all boobs, ass, pink haze, bright blue skies with verdant green ground, bloomed up to the eyeballs with rainbows and floating things and waterfalls and seaspray and water trickling down rocks... In summary I'm just saying that to say it's "busy" visually would be an understatement. It doesn't so much "use" the Unreal Engine as beat you over the head with it.

#24 csuzw

csuzw
  • Members
  • 2005 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Tried this out. Can't really stand any of the character/class design and agree with Asura about the graphics. Had a brief play as a Priest and a Slayer. Initially thought combat looked like it might be better than the usual MMO fare but it felt awful. You still have all the same action bar activated abilities and all the attacks felt so slow that enemies usually managed to unintentionally dodge out of the way of anything you threw at them. Even when you did hit things the enemies rarely seemed to respond so it's more of the same, just watching health bars. Got to a point where the game just seemed to bug out and I couldn't get any further, not sure if I was being stupid or not - there was a broken bridge (not the 1 you jump off into the water) and the obvious path had a rockfall across it but no way to clear it and I was too irritated by the game to try too hard to find a way round. Mapping of any kind seemed to broken/non-existant, not sure if that was a choice (there were menu items but nothing happened) or just unfinished. Also I liked how if you tried to create a 2nd character you got an error saying there might be a server problem or the name is already taken and then you got dropped out of character creation, that was fun until I worked out what was going on :hmm:

#25 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11655 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Did you not manage to get through the prologue? It's just been added to the game since the last beta weekend and IMO it's a buggy misjudged addition that shouldn't be there. I agree that quite a lot of people won't be able to get along with the art design. The asian MMO design style isn't for everyone. Gameplay wise the prologue is a nightmare. Thrown in at level 20 with a message before combat "Have a look at your skills and see what they do lol". How people are expected to be able to play the game (Especially the boss fight at the end of that section) when in the game proper by that point you'd have spent 20 levels being gradually introduced to the combat and skills in slow and controlled ways is beyond me.

From the real level 1 the game starts simply and gradually introduces a small number of skills over time. Combat slowly ramps up the number and difficulty of the mobs until you suddenly realise you're deliberately pulling multiple groups of 10-15 mobs because it feels awesome. Yup it's MMO questing by the numbers though. Like 99% of mmos. Guild Wars 2 should hopefully shake that up a bit.

Also guys. Melee characters in the game are very hard to play compared to the ranged classes. I might be missing something but they just are :)

Asura. After the first rather colourful zone it settles down. After that you hit a regular city hub and then travel to what is essentially Grizzly Hills from Lich King.

But yeah. I can't see it doing very well to be honest and starting your open beta during the Diablo III open beta weekend was a tad unlucky. Poor sods.

#26 bigfoot

bigfoot
  • Members
  • 1386 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I find the character occupying real space really difficult to understand. I keep bumping into other characters. Doesn't make sense as a MMO.

#27 csuzw

csuzw
  • Members
  • 2005 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

I tried it a bit more this morning and after starting a new character managed to complete the prologue without it bugging out on me again. Spent most of the time running away in the final boss battle. Then messed about for a little while in the starting area but quickly got bored. Usually when I play a new game, however bad it is, I can usually find some idea that is new/good/interesting/whatever but I can't think of a single thing for this.

#28 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

But yeah. I can't see it doing very well to be honest and starting your open beta during the Diablo III open beta weekend was a tad unlucky. Poor sods.

That'll be Activision, and not by accident. They have a habit of doing open betas, DLC releases, price-cut re-releases (sometimes even negative news!) on the same day or weekend as competitors are releasing products. Read VG247 or similar daily and you'll start to notice it over time. They want to crush the opposition at any cost, and they're that big now that they can do it.

#29 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11655 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

I took some screenshots on my travels. There's a higher detail level on top of what I'm running at that makes a considerable difference.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I took some screenshots on my travels. There's a higher detail level on top of what I'm running at that makes a considerable difference.Posted Image

When I see that, it actually makes me wish the game was more like a fantasy Planetside. Seeing those defensive structures is awesome. I like the idea of the wilderness in a fantasy game being genuinely dangerous and unpredictable, then flying back to the security of a fortress to get to safety, as players defend walls.

Whereas most MMOs sadly are too static - but this screenshot gives a glimpse of what they could be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users