• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1541 replies to this topic

#1 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25580 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Old thread here: http://www.rllmukfor...howtopic=177503

I'll leave Keith to edit this post to include total numbers! Please keep the link to the old thread though!

=====

Time for something of a 2010 summary now then, eh?

UK Christmas estimates (4 week period leading up to Dec 25th, with 2009's sales in brackets):

Wii - 380,587 (448,304)
Xbox 360 - 363,296 (284,848)
PlayStation 3 - 220,744 (237,551)

Wii did rather better than I thought it would at Christmas, with 360 naturally boosted by Kinect. Strongest Christmas for Microsoft in the UK to date, I believe - not bad for a console in its 6th year. PS3 floundering.

UK total 2010 estimates:

Xbox 360 - 1,456,538 (1,140,765)
Wii - 1,204,374 (1,697,865)
PlayStation 3 - 930,516 (944,585)

Quite a boost for 360, and a fair drop off for Wii. PS3 going nowhere.

North American Christmas estimates (4 week period leading up to Dec 25th, with 2009's sales in brackets):

Wii - 3,415,653 (3,529,214)
Xbox 360 - 2,263,775 (1,441,057)
PlayStation 3 - 1,251,414 (1,331,788)

North American total 2010 estimates:

Wii - 9,282,972 (10,413,851)
Xbox 360 - 7,915,423 (5,416,881)
PlayStation 3 - 5,382,573 (4,820,230)

You have to wonder whether Sony is worried that PS3 is gaining no momentum year to year in the US and UK, or whether it's simply happily with the ground it makes up, on average, in mainland Europe and Japan.

Edited by Xevious, 20 February 2011 - 08:30 PM.
Added link to old thread

#2 ras el hanout

ras el hanout
  • Members
  • 17145 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

Holy fuck the Wii shit all over the 360 in America this Christmas. I'm suprised to see Boyatsea even post those figures.

#3 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25580 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

Incidentally, total 360 sales estimates have now passed 50 million, which *COUGH* I believe sits nicely in the ranges of the 45-65 million range I said 360 would sell this generation in the original sales thread.

*cough*cunt*cough*

#4 ras el hanout

ras el hanout
  • Members
  • 17145 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Incidentally, total 360 sales estimates have now passed 50 million, which *COUGH* I believe sits nicely in the ranges of the 45-65 million range I said 360 would sell this generation in the original sales thread.

*cough*cunt*cough*

You wanna get that cough looked at. It might be, you know...

#5 Fuddle

Fuddle
  • Members
  • 1245 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

you forgot the japanese numbers, i assume as there is still one week left to see.

Japanese (almost) total 2010:

Wii - 1,597,131 (1,747,238)
PlayStation 3 - 1,509,700 (1,654,013)
Xbox 360 - 207,118 (366,868)

PS3 and Wii pretty similar. 360 going nowhere.

#6 sith

sith
  • Members
  • 17491 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Who cares about Japan these days?

Seems like such a irrelevant market when compared to the past.

#7 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 5980 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Given that two of the platform holders are Japanese companies, I'd say the country will be relevant as long as they are.

#8 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

POPULAR

Boyatsea can't show the Japanese (or Euro) figure, as that would not fit in with his precious 360 spin. It never gets old. A political masterclass in pro-trolling.

#9 MBM

MBM
  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

And if the generation stopped this moment you would be correct in your prediction. In the long run, however, you're gonna be wrong, seeing as the 360 will sell more than 65 million.

#10 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31366 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

Wii wins Christmas... As predicted.

BUT

Oh noes!!!

IT'S RED!!!

#11 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31366 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

Shh... You can't mention Japan because it will mess up the whole blue/red PR thing that B@C has been testing out

#12 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25580 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

And if the generation stopped this moment you would be correct in your prediction. In the long run, however, you're gonna be wrong, seeing as the 360 will sell more than 65 million.

Given the prediction was made 4 or so years back and most folk laughed at the suggestion it would get past 30 million, I'm happy to be proved wrong if it goes over 65 million. ;)

Also, bear in mind said prediction was made without knowledge of Kinect and what it would do. All such predictions, whether made by folk like us or analysts, are worthless, given they are based on the here and now.

#13 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25580 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

you forgot the japanese numbers, i assume as there is still one week left to see.

Japanese (almost) total 2010:

Wii - 1,597,131 (1,747,238)
PlayStation 3 - 1,509,700 (1,654,013)
Xbox 360 - 207,118 (366,868)

PS3 and Wii pretty similar. 360 going nowhere.

You forgot the colours. ;)

PS3 will outsell Wii next year in Japan, it would seem. I suspect by a healthy margin, too.

#14 phresh

phresh
  • Members
  • 7551 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

Does Dragon Quest X come out next year? That might keep the Wii ahead of the PS3 in Japan.

#15 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1620 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

You forgot the colours. ;)

PS3 will outsell Wii next year in Japan, it would seem. I suspect by a healthy margin, too.

Having seen the abysmal sales for both Wii and PS3 for the past year. I'd say those two are going to even out quite nicely next year.

It wasn't until Christmas until either started moving significant hardware.

Does Dragon Quest X come out next year? That might keep the Wii ahead of the PS3 in Japan.

Not confirmed yet. However, two games that will end up selling quite nicely are the Inazuma Eleven game for the Wii and Rhytem Tengoku Wii.

EDIT: Where do those estimates come from anyway?

#16 Mad Gear

Mad Gear
  • Members
  • 1227 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

If it does come out on (just) the Wii they would never make their money back. I can see it moving to 3DS rather sharpish (if it hasn't already done so).

This year will be super interesting with the death of the PSP and therefore the introduction of the rather powerful PSP2. Can the PSP2 really take off after the trail run of the similarly download only Go?

We also have the evolution of the DS but at what price? There are already 3 DS consoles to every person on the planet, will people be willing to buy a 200+ handheld when their kids already have something similar that they have only just bought?

Added to the mix is the constantly evolving iOS which is quickly becoming the gaming device du jour. Why spend 25-30 on a game when there's a sharper albeit maybe cackhanded version coming to the iPhone for 59p? Sometimes it works, othertimes not so much. Take the upcoming DS game Ghost Trick from Capcom. It'll retail around 20+ but the iOS version will be around a quarter of the price and look much better than the DS game. Apple have really fudged it up for Sony and Nintendo (especially Sony) with it's vast and super cheap library of games.

Is this the final year of Wii, will Kinect continue it's grasp on the casual and will the PS3 finally have it's year? Who cares because we all love games and there will be many. But it will be fascinating to see this thread, this time next year.

#17 ras el hanout

ras el hanout
  • Members
  • 17145 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Is this the final year of Wii, will Kinect continue it's grasp on the casual and will the PS3 finally have it's year?

I love this retarded way of thinking.

Yeah, the Wii which hasn't even had a price cut yet and continues to outsell the PS3 and 360 will be replaced because... Finish that sentence, IF YOU CAN. Kinect hasn't got a grasp on the casuals, it's sold mainly to fat nerds. And this will be the year of the PS3, because... FINISH THAT ONE TOO.

This year Nintendo will continue to dominate.

#18 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17105 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

If it does come out on (just) the Wii they would never make their money back. I can see it moving to 3DS rather sharpish (if it hasn't already done so).

What rubbish, it's the biggest selling series in Japan. It's userbase followed it from the PS2 to the DS and they'll follow it from DS to Wii too.

#19 Mad Gear

Mad Gear
  • Members
  • 1227 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, the Wii which hasn't even had a price cut yet and continues to outsell the PS3 and 360 will be replaced because... Finish that sentence, IF YOU CAN. Kinect hasn't got a grasp on the casuals, it's sold mainly to fat nerds. And this will be the year of the PS3, because... FINISH THAT ONE TOO.

This year Nintendo will continue to dominate.

Sorry i wasn't stating fact, i was just throwing it out there to discuss, read the post. The Wii lauched at 179.99 it's now 129.99 is that not a price drop? Wherever i went over crimbo, friends houses, barber, tattooist, at work, people were talking about Kinect, there certainly seems to be a shift happening. I'm not that interested in it but more casual gamers seem to be.

From what we know so far the PS3 has got the best range of games coming out this year so you would hope they would get a decent bump this year after what ended up being a stagnant 2010. I was pretty shocked by the machines sales in the latter half of the year especially after the console seemed to be gaining momentum after it's slim launch and price drop towards the end of 2009. Maybe it will never happen for the PS3?

Nintendo will still sells a f-ton of hardware this year as it will the year after etc but i think it's only domination will be in the handheld arena.

#20 ras el hanout

ras el hanout
  • Members
  • 17145 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Sorry i wasn't stating fact, i was just throwing it out there to discuss, read the post. The Wii lauched at 179.99 it's now 129.99 is that not a price drop? Wherever i went over crimbo, friends houses, barber, tattooist, at work, people were talking about Kinect, there certainly seems to be a shift happening. I'm not that interested in it but more casual gamers seem to be.

From what we know so far the PS3 has got the best range of games coming out this year so you would hope they would get a decent bump this year after what ended up being a stagnant 2010. I was pretty shocked by the machines sales in the latter half of the year especially after the console seemed to be gaining momentum after it's slim launch and price drop towards the end of 2009. Maybe it will never happen for the PS3?

Nintendo will still sells a f-ton of hardware this year as it will the year after etc but i think it's only domination will be in the handheld arena.

First the Wii is not 129.99.

Secondly look at the sales figures, the Wii trounced Kinect this Christmas. So I don't think that can be called any kind of a shift.

The PS3 might do okay with a massive price drop, software line-up doesn't really matter.

#21 Mad Gear

Mad Gear
  • Members
  • 1227 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Yeah your right about the Wii price, although it wasn't anywhere near 180 when i bought the black one earlier in the year. They seem to keep adding stuff in and having sporadic sales.

#22 ras el hanout

ras el hanout
  • Members
  • 17145 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Yeah your right about the Wii price, although it wasn't anywhere near 180 when i bought the black one earlier in the year. They seem to keep adding stuff in and having sporadic sales.

So imagine if they dropped the price of the thing to 99. Do you then think that the Wii would continue to dominate? It's like you were all suggesting possible way the other home consoles could do well (the shift over to Kinect, price cuts and great games for the ps3) and yet your suggestion for the Wii was for Nintendo to perhaps stop making it! Whereas Nintendo are the ones with scope for price cut and it's price cuts over absolutely everything that drive sales.

#23 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25580 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, the Wii which hasn't even had a price cut yet and continues to outsell the PS3 and 360 will be replaced because... Finish that sentence, IF YOU CAN. Kinect hasn't got a grasp on the casuals, it's sold mainly to fat nerds.

My Gran, bless her soul, played my nephew at Kinect Sports bowling on Christmas day. By Gran can barely use a mobile phone or a TV remote.

Mt Gran, bless her soul, is soon to turn 80, and got 7 strikes in a row, hammering the poor little blighter in the process. She now wants a Kinect, even though she knows not its name or how it works.

My Gran, bless her soul, is not (yet) a fat nerd.

As an aside, Xbox 360 outsold Wii in the UK last year, and PS3 looks like it'll run it very close in Japan too. Until Christmas, 360 was also ahead of Wii in North America.

So, yeah, no domination this year for Wii. :)

#24 Boyatsea

Boyatsea
  • Members
  • 25580 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

So imagine if they dropped the price of the thing to 99. Do you then think that the Wii would continue to dominate? It's like you were all suggesting possible way the other home consoles could do well (the shift over to Kinect, price cuts and great games for the ps3) and yet your suggestion for the Wii was for Nintendo to perhaps stop making it! Whereas Nintendo are the ones with scope for price cut and it's price cuts over absolutely everything that drive sales.

If some form of Wii successor doesn't get a release before spring 2012, I'll be very surprised. Fairly likely this year, I'd have thought.

#25 ras el hanout

ras el hanout
  • Members
  • 17145 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

My Gran, bless her soul, played my nephew at Kinect Sports bowling on Christmas day. By Gran can barely use a mobile phone or a TV remote.

Mt Gran, bless her soul, is soon to turn 80, and got 7 strikes in a row, hammering the poor little blighter in the process. She now wants a Kinect, even though she knows not its name or how it works.

My Gran, bless her soul, is not (yet) a fat nerd.

As an aside, Xbox 360 outsold Wii in the UK last year, and PS3 looks like it'll run it very close in Japan too. Until Christmas, 360 was also ahead of Wii in North America.

So, yeah, no domination this year for Wii. :)

No, your gran isn't a fat nerd, you are though, and you took it around to hers. That's what happened, nerds are foisitng this thing upon family and friends and declaring it a great success! And that's marvellous except none of these casual fuckers actually went out and bought a 360! I liked that Christmas you made your family play Scene It on the 360 and declared it the most gamey christmas ever!

#26 ras el hanout

ras el hanout
  • Members
  • 17145 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

If some form of Wii successor doesn't get a release before spring 2012, I'll be very surprised. Fairly likely this year, I'd have thought.

You're surprised that the Wii sold more than 75million in its entire life, seems there's a lot about the Wii you don't understand.

#27 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17105 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

No, your gran isn't a fat nerd, you are though, and you took it around to hers. That's what happened, nerds are foisitng this thing upon family and friends and declaring it a great success! And that's marvellous except none of these casual fuckers actually went out and bought a 360! I liked that Christmas you made your family play Scene It on the 360 and declared it the most gamey christmas ever!

But you've just described every scottcr post ever...

#28 second to none

second to none
  • Members
  • 1928 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

Keith how's that cough now?

#29 SozzlyJoe

SozzlyJoe
  • Supporters
  • 2189 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, you could bring round fuckin' Ludo and your gran and maiden aunt and cousin in a wheelchair would have the time of their lives and all vow to buy Ludo and then go off and never think of it til next Christmas whereupon you bring round Guess Who and your gran.... etc, etc.

It's just the party spirit getting everyone all hyped. Let's see who follows through. I'll be ruddy amazed if your gran follows through and buys a 360, keep us posted.

#30 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1620 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

Once more i'll ask this. Where do those European and North American estimates come from BoyatSea? They have a strange waff of VGChartz to them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users