DeathSmiles and DeathSmiles II

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Camel

Camel
  • Members
  • 10880 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

which of v1.1 and MBL would you recommend if i was going to try one of them?

as for 360 mode i've got a new personal best.

Mode - 360
Character - Rosa
Level Reached - 4-2 BOSS
Score - 88,461,783

Photo:

Spoiler

:-)

I love how you're demolishing my score without even completing the game :(

What levels are you selecting? Looks like I need to step it up a bit.

#32 alistarr

alistarr
  • Members
  • 6400 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

ha! i don't really hold out much hope of completing the game - that stuff after the castle is a bit much for my tiny brain.

my route for the last couple of tries:

Spoiler

i don't really understand the game mechanics so, as you can see, i've been focusing on just not dying and then maximising what i can get out of a few key fever modes. i don't think i can do much better than that score without taking a different approach (or at least learning the scoring system, or understanding the different shots, or working out how the option works, or...) , which seems a bit too much like effort! maybe i'll find a quiet moment to read the manual sometime, or maybe i'll go back to street fighter. it's a really fun game though, and i kind of want to go back to mushihimesama futari again too now that i feel a bit more confident about dodging bullets (don't worry, i remember that mushi is way more hectic!).

#33 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Updated the table, there is now a update date at the top of the first post. I've removed the versions form the table as post US patch all the versions are now identical. However if anyone does post a MBL score, the version will be needed for that as there seems to be differences.

For the two of us that own the game, I'll be adding DeathSmiles II tables this weekend and I'll be doing a Mushi series thread as well so get those scores going alistarr :)

#34 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Oh good, would be interested to see what other peoples scores are like for deathsmiles 2. I love playing it but I'm not sure if I'm doing well or not :D

#35 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

A bit delayed but finally got around to adding DSII. I expect Clippa to beat my own scores easily enough, I played one credit of each mode today having not played the game a huge amount at all, and not at all for almost 3 months ;)

IIX mode - 84,348,478 - Rosa, Stage 4 Boss
Arrange Mode -35,057,927 - Rosa, Last Stage

Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:53 PM

Still trying to beat the game after doing the extra stage. The end level gets a lot harder but I think it's those two stuffed toys at the end of the funfair that are tripping me up. next time I try, gonna have my finger hovering over the bomb button at that bit, see if I can through it unscathed. Always lose a life or two there.
Will take a photo of my high score maybe tomorrow :D

#37 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Had a couple of meh runs where I was trying new stuff then had a proper run and increased my score by 100m :OMG: From 84m to 188,663,972.
Posted Image

So close to my first proper Cave 1cc (although I have a 1cc in 2 player).
Posted Image

I'd played the last stage without any bombs left and half a health bar, if I had one bomb left I'd have done it :hmm:I had a similar issue with DFK's Novice mode the day before :facepalm:

#38 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

Thought I may as well try and beat my score while I was on taking a pic and managed it :D Didn't manage to finish though. Santa took me out pretty quick.

Mode - IIX
Character - Follett
Level Reached - Last Boss
Score - 4,332,564,123
Photographic evidence - Posted Image
Game version - Xbox 360

#39 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

I've got some effort to put in it seems. :Coffee:

I did notice that my stage 1 score was 15m short of the same level on the previous run, but I'm not sure it would help :lol:

#40 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Sorry Sephy, I'm not doing this to spite you :D Is it just me and you who have this game?

Mode - IIX
Character - Follett
Level Reached - Last Boss
Score - 5,160,073,823
Game version - Xbox 360

That screenshot you posted, I died at pretty much the same spot. Gutted. I get scared and panic bomb during the boss instead of saving them for when I really need them. Nothing worse than getting hit and losing 3 bombs though XD

#41 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

As far as I know it is just you and me. But then, at least 4 people have Futari and no one has posted any scores yet :hmm:

I just got 250m twice, the first on stage 5, then again on the exact same spot as above, I thought I had one more life and so I didn't use the two bombs in stock :facepalm: Then I bumped everything up from rank 2 to rank 3 and got near the end of the pre satan claws sequence (with the cherubs and snakes) and got 430m at the first attempt. Rank 3 isn't that much harder than rank 2, unlike DS1 bosses go down at a similar speed and don't really cause any additional problems. I'm just wondering if I should stay with rank 2 and get better at manipulating the scoring and get the 1cc, or carry on with rank 3 and get used to doing everything. Or I could go back to DS1 and see if I can carry the improvement over.

I need to watch a superplay I think, oh and switch to Follett

#42 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, definitely switch to follett. I think she is the best all rounder for both games and it might just be my mind playing tricks but on the first deathsmiles at least, the game seems to slow down more when using her lockshot on bosses.
Yeah, I'd definitely just go for rank 3 all the way on iix. Like you say, it doesn't seem to get any harder and you'll be getting much higher scores.
Will post my futari score tomorrow :D

#43 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

Still playing with Rosa. I tried Follett but she controls differently enough that it was causing problems because Rosa has been my primary character for the last 2 years ;)

After the efforts above of getting to 4xxm I got to 800m and then cleanly beat that again on the next run. Now I'm a billionaire :OMG: Still can't beat Satan Claws but reaching him on 5x Rank 3 and 1x Rank 2 is hardly a bad run. Field C is the only level I can't no miss on rank 3 so I always play it at Rank 2, given the limited space in the level it's enough of a challenge, especially when the screen fills with crowns, homing bullets and enemy bullets :wacko: Loving this game more everytime I play it, especially when it gets overloaded so much it only runs at 5fps :wub:

Posted Image

That 80m I posted just four days ago looks hilariously bad now

edit: shows what I know :lol: First ever 1cc :OMG:

Posted Image

Same strat as above. I can definitely improve on that as I made at least 2 large cockups when I had a high multiplier

#44 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

Nicely done sephy :D Satan claws is a bastard.
Field c, I discovered that shooting those rocks with the gonks sitting on them that slowly spin around is like shooting the boulders that come out of the volcano's in the first deathsmiles. You can rack up loads of points by powering up and shooting the rocks :D
Ignore all the friggers trying to kill you and go for the points :D I used to hate that level but now I love it. If you kill the last snake before the boss with a lock shot you get a cake too. It's hard to know how much to shoot him before using the lock shot though, I'm always just killing him and missing the cake by mistake.
Another cake I found is during the library level, just after the fight with the chandeliers and those red things, a big axe wielding thing comes from the right and then another big axe wielding thing comes from the left and you can get a cake out of that one by using the lockshot on him.

#45 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

The reason I use Rosa on both games is that she takes down bosses so quickly. Tamecos barely starts his second pattern before the damage trigger kicks in and he starts to run across the screen, and Claws never does his retreat into the background for the same reason. So although I had more health and bombs, I finished with half a bar and no bombs...

#46 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Aye, seems all the big boys with the hairy scores use rosa. I tried in the first deathsmiles, couldn't get to grips with that turning around when you wanted to lockshot malarkey.
Next time I play iix, I'll give her a try.

#47 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

I raped Field C at rank 3 for points, but my runs were all a considerable amount lower than my billion+ scores. I put DS1 on and was even worse than I previously was :facepalm: That game has really become a source of frustration for me, much in the same way I'm better at Cave games than "simpler" shmups. No matter what I do I get worse rather than better. I'm going to rest both games for a bit now, I've already played IIX more in this week than since I first played it in September, so I think it's fair to say I've made the most of it. I'll concentrate on some verts until Akai Katana is out

#48 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

I'm the same with futari, just seems like I've hit a wall with that game. Hopefully I'm not at the zenith of my shmup power yet and I can come back and tackle it in the future :D

#49 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

FUCK YOU SATAN CLAWS
Posted Image

Broke 2 billion but should have had the all clear, I went into the boss fight with 3 bars of health and 2 bombs left for a nice total of 8 available. Did quite well against some of his patterns and got a power up at a nice point but alas. I'm trying to master advanced familar movement, it's necessary to get through Field C without getting hit too many times. On DS1 I didn't really spend much time on that, I would just line up Rosa's above or below her and keep it there

2,010,950,213. It's going up slowly 8) I might try the EX stage next time :unsure:

#50 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

It's more or less free points until you get to the stuffed twats at the finish. I always get hit at least twice during that part :D

#51 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Completed IIX included the extra stage :D Beat my score slightly too.

Mode - IIX
Character - Follett
Level Reached - All Clear
Score - 5,220,173,238
Game version - Xbox 360

#52 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

I've picked this up again today after a break and have been able to drop my previous habit of being trigger happy on powerup, largely because I can raise the counter much quicker now just through better familiar control. Suicide bullets + actually moving the familiar to the left when left shooting=speedy counter. The best example is that on the first stage my score was previously varying between 50m and 130m. Not only can I now get the first points extend (200m) on the first stage consistently, I've managed 320m so far. However my survival performance has tanked, possibly due to the break, possibly just me having an off day. So while my scoring is improving, I'm not getting far enough. Admittedly that's a decent compromise, but I was getting to stage 5 regularly before.

I gave the EX a go on a early run, I didn't have enough health to bother challenging the last boss and my score was pretty pathetic so I figured why not. I made a stupid mistake and lost my last life, but you're right, I got 500m pretty much unchallenged.

My all clear was 1.54b, my previous high was 2b on Satan Claws. I now have a 2.1b on Stage 5 - pretty much two levels less required to get 95m more. With consistent play I should be able to make 3-3.5b just by removing some of the mistakes I've managed to pick up. Field C is still killing my score as much as it's raising it, two hits are probably costing me half a billion despite the quickness at which the counter can be filled.

I'm still a long way off that 5b mark :(

#53 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Only attempt of the day.

Managed to get through Field C without taking any damage and I was right, it made a 500m difference. I did the EX stage and then got assaulted by the EX Final Stage :o
Posted Image

#54 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Nice one :D Getting better all the time. One thing that I've noticed is that if I play a rock hard game like ketsui for a while, I'll come back to deathsmiles and I'll be much better :D I think deathsmiles lulls you into a false sense of security at times and catches you off guard :D

edit: I really have to stop using smilies, they're getting on my tits now.
I never used to use them at all but on a forum I used to go to years ago, people were constantly taking my jokes the wrong way so I started using them to kind of convey that everything I said was meant in good humour and now they've just stuck and I can't stop using them :S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users