Magic: The Gathering

• Please log in to reply
736 replies to this topic

#331 paddyo

paddyo
  • Members
  • 3254 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

I've been contemplating playing a solo white soldier deck (I like white, I like expendable people, I like cheap physical decks) but I've no idea whether the new cards make it a viable strategy/ if there're any new cards I should endeavour to find. Any suggestions/ help/ tell me to fuck off?

Not mono white but check out these soldier-ish standard decks :)

http://sales.starcit...deckshow.php?[C1]=1&deck_name[]=G%2FW+Tokens&test=test&start_date=2011-08-14&end_date=2012-01-15

#332 rsbrowndog

rsbrowndog
  • Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

Posted in the General Chatter thread, but probably better placed here:

I've been having a clearout and come across this:

Posted Image

I believe it's a starter set that I purchased in Argos around 8 years ago? I seem to recall that I got some booster packs and/or decks which may also be included.

If anyone wants it, PM me and I will get it in the post to you.

Cheers,

Ryan

#333 Yix

Yix
  • Members
  • 1580 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

Man, away for ages and the timing makes me look like I skulk around here trying to snipe people giving away free shit... the fact that it's true is besides the point.

rsbrowndog, I don't often post in this sub-forum but mind if I take that? A friend has been trying to make an elf deck for some time but hasn't been able to tear himself away from computer games; maybe an Elvish Champion (which I believe is that happy-looking bloke on the box) might spur him on. I can cannibalise the rest into my own paltry collection.

Not mono white but check out these soldier-ish standard decks :)

http://sales.starcit...deckshow.php?[C1]=1&deck_name[]=G%2FW+Tokens&test=test&start_date=2011-08-14&end_date=2012-01-15

Cheers for that, man. Had a brief look around, might think about incorporating some black in there too. Because I'm multicultural.

#334 rsbrowndog

rsbrowndog
  • Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Man, away for ages and the timing makes me look like I skulk around here trying to snipe people giving away free shit... the fact that it's true is besides the point.

rsbrowndog, I don't often post in this sub-forum but mind if I take that? A friend has been trying to make an elf deck for some time but hasn't been able to tear himself away from computer games; maybe an Elvish Champion (which I believe is that happy-looking bloke on the box) might spur him on. I can cannibalise the rest into my own paltry collection.

No problem, PM your address and I'll get it in the post over the next few days.

Cheers,

Ryan

#335 Vorgot

Vorgot
  • Members
  • 3142 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Well Magic Online is too expensive for me these days, and takes up a fair chunk of time to really play, so I'm rarely on there. But I am getting back into Magic 2012 on the Xbox. Got the expansion and the new packs, and am going to play through those and customise the decks a bit. Anyone else play it at all? Add me as a friend if so. And if you see my online playing anything else but fancy a Magic game, just ping me a message.

#336 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5760 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

My friend has just got into paper magic. I've been warning him for years that it's a slippery slope, but he said he'd be able to handle it thanks to his amazing will power. He's spent £150 on cards so far this month :eyebrows:

#337 Vorgot

Vorgot
  • Members
  • 3142 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

My friend has just got into paper magic. I've been warning him for years that it's a slippery slope, but he said he'd be able to handle it thanks to his amazing will power. He's spent £150 on cards so far this month :eyebrows:

Thats where I've been headed with paper and online, so no more :) Deck packs are nice and cheap on the 360 :)

#338 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5760 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

Yeah I like the knight deck that came out a week or so back. I just wish you could mix your entire card pool.

#339 filecore

filecore
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

New set (Dark Ascension) out soon, pre-releases this weekend (will do one tourney Sat and another one Sun), then launch parties the week after. I'll do another two then. And I'll buy a box.
Good job I'm not also into boardgames. :)

May all your pre-release boosters contain the new Sorin!

#340 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5760 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Played Magic 2012 for 2 hours last night with a friend (PS3). The new decks are surprisingly good.

#341 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • Members
  • 10488 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Getting back into MTG (last played during Kamigawa)

Deciding to make a snake deck (using mostly cards I have now with a few additions)

LANDS: 22
1 x Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
21 x Forest

CREATURES: 28
2 x Seshiro the Anointed
1 x Jugan, the Rising Star
3 x Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
3 x Sosuke, Son of Seshiro
1 x Shisato, Whispering Hunter
4 x Kashi-Tribe Elite
3 x Orochi Sustainer
3 x Sakura Tribe Elder
2 x Matsu-Tribe Sniper
4 x Sakura-Tribe Scout

OTHER SPELLS: 9
4 x Time of Need
1 x Lure
2 x Orochi Hatchery
3 x Sosuke's Summons

#342 filecore

filecore
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Played in the pre-releases last weekend as usual.  Came 13th out of 42 on the Saturday. Came 1st out of 24 on the Sunday. My first ever tournament win, ever. :) Won 18 Avacyn boosters and pulled some of the nice cards in the set. Drafts at FNM this week and some release parties Saturday/Sunday. Really liking the new set. The art is amazing and soulbond is cool. It'll be interesting to see if it has an effect on standard.

#343 strider

strider
  • Members
  • 5760 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

Congrats on the win :)
Really enjoying the innistrad block but im hearing this is slowed right down

#344 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • Members
  • 10488 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Set up a booster draft with five friends on mine, I came 2nd with a score of 3 round wins and 2 losses.

Got Sigarda and Bruna as my rewards along with some other rares and my drafted R/W human aggro deck.

Posted Image

#345 filecore

filecore
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

RW Humans is a pretty sweet standard deck at the moment also. Those lightning maulers with soulbond and haste are lethal. Play a Hero of Bladehold, bond it to the mauler. Haste. Ouch.
I'm playing a GW build at the moment, but without Sigarda. Get down the mana accelerators fast, build your ramp fast and get something big down such as a Silverheart.
Green Red is really strong at the moment as well.

Restoration Angel is crazy. Been having lots of fun flashing her in and blinking Blade Splicers, Phyrexian Metamorphs etc etc :-)

#346 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11528 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Tell me something. Duels of the Plainswalkers is supposed to be like a cheap version of MtG, right? You buy a pack and you're good to go. Am I talking out of my arse?

If I'm right, I wouldn't mind buying a pack on MtG: Online and playing there. Does Plainswalkers require you to spend a million quid to get a good deck?

#347 LaParka

LaParka
  • Members
  • 3491 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Anyone still play this online? Not touched it for a while but logged in the other night. I'm on as MrParka

#348 smithstock

smithstock
  • Members
  • 5476 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Anyone still play this online? Not touched it for a while but logged in the other night. I'm on as MrParka

I do chap.

Waiting for the original to come cheap and Magic 2013 has been announced. Still play 2012 fairly regular.

#349 LaParka

LaParka
  • Members
  • 3491 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

This might be a silly question but the new Planechase cards, are they seperate to the regular MTG blocks? It says the regular MTG sized cards can be used in the 'eternal' format.

So in theory I could snag a couple of the Planechase decks and just use them for casual play with players who don't usually play MTG?

#350 filecore

filecore
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

This might be a silly question but the new Planechase cards, are they seperate to the regular MTG blocks? It says the regular MTG sized cards can be used in the 'eternal' format.

So in theory I could snag a couple of the Planechase decks and just use them for casual play with players who don't usually play MTG?

Yes, Planechase is a separate casual multiplayer format. Could be a good introduction/slippery slope to new players. And the Planar cards are cool!

The standard size cards can be played in official Legacy and Vintage formats, so some players might pick some decks up with the intention of doing just that - if any of the cards are good enough. You can't play with them in the standard format though. (Which is roughly the last 18months-worth of cards). Of course, there's nothing to stop you playing the cards in any casual games or Commander or whatever.

#351 LaParka

LaParka
  • Members
  • 3491 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Ah that makes sense. Does seem a good way for getting people to dip their toes in...

#352 Yix

Yix
  • Members
  • 1580 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Against my better nature, I'm back on the wagon and - along with everyone, it seems - in the midsts of building up a GW Human deck. Have spent approximately £30 on cards thus far.

Unfortunately I gave away most of my cards a few years ago so I'm sorely missing some of the fundamentals. You know, like lands. Also, as fun as it is to build a deck via eBay (it's not), I miss rifling through my cards and thinking up crappy combinations.

Just wondered whether there was a cheaper option rather than, say, eBay, Manaleak, or those exceptionally expensive deck boxes (Jesus! How much does this stuff cost now?) to get a bunch of miscellaneous cards that I can play around with.

#353 LaParka

LaParka
  • Members
  • 3491 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

i can send you some lands fella

#354 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • Members
  • 10488 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Against my better nature, I'm back on the wagon and - along with everyone, it seems - in the midsts of building up a GW Human deck. Have spent approximately £30 on cards thus far.

Unfortunately I gave away most of my cards a few years ago so I'm sorely missing some of the fundamentals. You know, like lands. Also, as fun as it is to build a deck via eBay (it's not), I miss rifling through my cards and thinking up crappy combinations.

Just wondered whether there was a cheaper option rather than, say, eBay, Manaleak, or those exceptionally expensive deck boxes (Jesus! How much does this stuff cost now?) to get a bunch of miscellaneous cards that I can play around with.

magiccardmarket.eu

#355 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11528 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

I'm well and truly snared into both the paper version of MtG and MtG online. I managed to pull a paper copy of Ajani, Caller of the Pride out of a booster pack and it'll fit nicely into my black/white deck. However, neither the wife nor my MtG mate have a plainswalker in their decks and I was wondering. Since we're really just playing for funsies, would it be a dick move to put Ajani into my deck, or are they not that OP?

Sorry for such a noob question.

#356 paddyo

paddyo
  • Members
  • 3254 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'm well and truly snared into both the paper version of MtG and MtG online. I managed to pull a paper copy of Ajani, Caller of the Pride out of a booster pack and it'll fit nicely into my black/white deck. However, neither the wife nor my MtG mate have a plainswalker in their decks and I was wondering. Since we're really just playing for funsies, would it be a dick move to put Ajani into my deck, or are they not that OP?

Sorry for such a noob question.

They are not too broken tbf (apart from old planeswalker Jace the mindsculptor) can easily be killed with creatures or o-ringed etc... depends what decks the others are playing really

#357 Yix

Yix
  • Members
  • 1580 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I recently attended a casual night in Oxford with my untested but very dull W/G Human deck.

Now, I'm not as pleasant as pretty much everyone else in this sub-forum and I had my reservations: despite the protestations from the staff at the Gameskeeper, I couldn't shake the feeling that I would be overwhelmed by... how can I say, very enthusiastic types with neckbeards and didn't wash. But I am pleased to say I had an excellent time. There were also a handful of newcomers, and most people were pretty decent about my inexperience. Just the one guy who didn't wash.

I would probably hesitate to describe it as a "casual" night, though. With every regular member pretty much playing Standard (and there were some "umm"s about my Urza Block 'Humble') and more than a handful of potent combo decks/planeswalkers, I could very easily understand why newcomers might be put off by the experience.

This post probably reads pretty judgementally, and you'd be fair to assume so. It was a far step from playing with my friends and the guy who brought an intro pack deck must've been pretty frustrated with the "beardy*" decks on display. But whether my inexperience or unwarranted preconceptions, I'm just glad to say Champion of the Parish did better than I was expecting.

Same time next week then.

*Apparently this refers to a very powerful deck. Something else I learnt.

#358 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11528 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

I've built this deck for MtG: Online thanks to a friend who advised. It's only legal in standard until the next rotation on October 5th but the more I learn it, the better I'm getting at it. Played a very intense match tonight against a mono-blue deck which - I feel - was a massive learning experience. Beat him 2 games to 1 and I feel like a bloody savant for doing it. Pity I didn't do so well earlier this evening in the two online tournaments that I entered. I was rotten.

This might actually be the game that I sell my Lord of the Rings LCG set for.

#359 paddyo

paddyo
  • Members
  • 3254 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

I played Grixis control at FNM last nite (thats U/R/B) just so i could use Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. I went 2-2, lost to mono black infect and a janky white red deck :S Felt bad in my first round, played a new guy who just had the intro deck and i managed to black suns zenith to kill all his dudes and then Bolas Ultimate where he had to sac 7 permanents meaning he only had 1 land on the whole board!! he took it ok though so not too bad :)

#360 xibxang

xibxang
  • Supporters
  • 11528 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

What's the score with FNM? Is there an entry fee or an expectation that you're going to buy something? There's one just up the road from here that I quite fancy trying out although I know my wallet's going to take a pounding.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users