• Announcements

• TehStu

Login with your DISPLAY NAME, not old username   02/10/16

IP.board v4 has changed how you login. Previously, you had a username and a display name. The username would be used to login to the forum, whereas the display name would appear alongside posts. It's possible they were one and the same, but also possible that they changed over time, as you updated your display name. From now on, login with your display name. The username no longer exists.
    • TehStu

iPhone users: please read this   02/10/16

The burger menu may be missing from the top right of the forum when viewing on an iPhone. Until resolved, here is the direct url to the login page.  
    • TehStu

ALL spoilers are currently visible   02/10/16

As posts have not yet been rebuilt, all spoilers are currently visible. If you're following something (film/game) and want to avoid spoilers, AVOID the relevant thread until the post rebuild is complete. I'll delete this announcement when it's done.
therearerules

Magic: The Gathering

803 posts in this topic

[quote name='Joyrex-J9' timestamp='1299758689' post='7750265']
Don't even think about it man.
Or I'll jump in my car, drive up to your place and personally uninstall it and delete your account.
[/quote]

Wicked, we'll be able to play games after! \o/

For those of you who want to play but don't want to spend much money, there is a format called Pauper - commons only. I played a bit last night and there are some excellent decks doing the rounds, which you can buy in their entirety fir about $2.

Many people sell 1-200 commons for $1 - a fiver spent wisely could keep even the tightest player going for ages.

[quote name='strawdonkey' timestamp='1299763079' post='7750439']
For those of you who want to play but don't want to spend much money, there is a format called Pauper - commons only. I played a bit last night and there are some excellent decks doing the rounds, which you can buy in their entirety fir about $2.

Many people sell 1-200 commons for $1 - a fiver spent wisely could keep even the tightest player going for ages.
[/quote]
Yeah this is the beauty of Magic online. There are enough different styles of play to ensure that it caters for all sorts of budgets.

Another type of tournament I forgot to mention is sealed deck.
This is more expensive (around $30) but it gives you 6 packs of cards in total. Rather than pass around, you simply try to make the best possible deck out of your limited resources.It's also usually 4 rounds (3 points awarded for each match win, prizes given out for 6 points and higher) so it's another good way of ensuring you get value for money.

Oh and I had some fun games with Straw Donkey last night where we simply played with some of the decks from the Live Arcade game.

I've also got plenty of spare cards, so don't be afraid to ask for some.

[/quote]
When you say there are good decks doing the rounds, where do you mean? Is there somewhere that gives decent advice on pauper decks? (though I have just noticed the link from Strider)

Also, when you play a tournament, do you play more than one opponent at a time? Such a noob I know, but there you go

I got linked to a Pauper-specific site last night, I'll dig it out later.

Tournaments are usually swiss pairings - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

[/quote]

This isn't helping.

The Pauper site I was on about is http://www.pdcmagic.com . Going to try buying a decklist's worth of cards and see how I get on.

I got about 80% of the way to a Standard rotation Pauper deck for about 70c.

Getting hold of older cards can be a bit of a nuisance by the look of it though, so for Vintage rotation you may be spending a bit more.

Going to hoover up the remainder later on.

When you sign up for MTGO you get a starter pack. Contained inside are a load of decks from Duels of the Planeswalkers, some other random cards from M11, an M11 booster pack, and two 'Event Tickets' which function as currency, as well as your entry to tournaments.

Each Event Ticket costs $1 to buy, though you get two free with your welcome pack. With my $4 worth of tickets, I have put together six entire decks and still have roughly $1 in credit available, split over two traders.

Come on in, the water's lovely.

I can feel my resolve weakening :/ Just when I though I was out, they pull me back in...........

[quote name='Blunted' timestamp='1299830168' post='7751860']
I can feel my resolve weakening :/ Just when I though I was out, they pull me back in...........
[/quote]
No no no no

Don't make me carry out another intervention, and you're much further away.

By far my favourite format in Magic online is Momir Vig Basic...

You need the Momir avatar to play (in magic online there are formats which you can play avatars... they are basically characters you start with that affect the game, they have abilities which are in play all the time) anyway, with Momir you play against other people with momir and you literally just have a 60 card deck of just basic land...

Momir's ability is that you can pay X mana, and discard a card and it puts a creature into play that costs the X mana you have played, BUT IT IS ANY CREATURE AT RANDOM FROM THE WHOLE GAME!!

so, if you pay 1 mana and discard a card you may get a llanowar elf, or you may get a jackal pup, or any other creature that costs 1 mana... the fun comes when you are paying 8,9,10 mana and getting incredible creatures each turn... BUT sometimes you can get creatures that are useless or even, in the case of Phage the untouchable, ones that make you just lose the game!!

Its an incredibly fun format that is literally entirely different each time!! Momir avatars can be bought from bots and traders but cost about $10... but for sheer fun i think its the best way to play magic online :)

[quote name='Blunted' timestamp='1299830168' post='7751860']
[/quote]
I can too but I just know that if I play I won't be able to stick to just the cheap cards!

[quote name='paddyo' timestamp='1299840827' post='7752235']

You need the Momir avatar to play (in magic online there are formats which you can play avatars... they are basically characters you start with that affect the game, they have abilities which are in play all the time) anyway, with Momir you play against other people with momir and you literally just have a 60 card deck of just basic land...

Momir's ability is that you can pay X mana, and discard a card and it puts a creature into play that costs the X mana you have played, BUT IT IS ANY CREATURE AT RANDOM FROM THE WHOLE GAME!!

so, if you pay 1 mana and discard a card you may get a llanowar elf, or you may get a jackal pup, or any other creature that costs 1 mana... the fun comes when you are paying 8,9,10 mana and getting incredible creatures each turn... BUT sometimes you can get creatures that are useless or even, in the case of Phage the untouchable, ones that make you just lose the game!!

Its an incredibly fun format that is literally entirely different each time!! Momir avatars can be bought from bots and traders but cost about $10... but for sheer fun i think its the best way to play magic online :)
[/quote]

That sounds amazing and completely retarded :D

MTG as a whole, so pretty difficult to attempt with the physical card game. Probably worth a go though, if you're a millionaire or something.

It's an unlockable mode with [i]Wagic: The Homebrew?![/i], if you're not on Magic Online.

[quote name='moosegrinder' timestamp='1299763146' post='7750446']
PISS OFF, JONNY.
[/quote]
Me? What did I do? I've been in hospital since Wednesday.

Spent a bit of time on this today, but am going to try some swiss drafts this week when I am away, 3 hours or so sounds perfect to keep me amused in the evenings, while it's likely to get my head kicked in by the wife at home.

Still need to do some research though. I bought a couple of the 2011 starter decks to get a feel for the way they are constructed and they play, and I've just been spanked playing with both of them. I think I need to read up on how infect works, all the decks I come up against use it, and I need to figure out how poison counters work as well. Playing with these 2 decks and helped me with understanding the mechanics of 2011 though, a lot more subtleties than the xbox ones I am used to playing with.

I'll be online most nights this week if people want to give me a shout. Name on there is Vorgot.

And if anyone has any spare 2011 commons going, I'd be happy to take em as I try to build up some pauper decks as well :)

Draft M11 as the mechanics will be simpler :)

Remember the golden rules of draft and sealed, in order of priority:-

- Bombs (meaning amazing cards, usually rares, that just win the game, ie titans in m11 draft
- Removal (be it burn, black removal tgrough to white pacifism type cards)
- Evasion (creatures that fly or cannot be blocked)

Play 40 card deck with 17 or 18 land...

Good luck :D

[quote name='paddyo' timestamp='1299840827' post='7752235']

[/quote]
Sounds ace

You can buy a pack that contains the card for $10 which I am about to do, should be good for a laugh

[quote name='paddyo' timestamp='1300047345' post='7756237']
Draft M11 as the mechanics will be simpler :)

Remember the golden rules of draft and sealed, in order of priority:-

- Bombs (meaning amazing cards, usually rares, that just win the game, ie titans in m11 draft
- Removal (be it burn, black removal tgrough to white pacifism type cards)
- Evasion (creatures that fly or cannot be blocked)

Play 40 card deck with 17 or 18 land...

Good luck :D
[/quote]

Cheers, am looking forward to it :)

This is a nightmare. WoW kept me too busy but was relatively cheap, this is a bloody disaster.

Really enjoying this now, got some 2011 starters, plus some Scars block starters to get to know how they work. Had some great games with those tonight, particularly the Metalcraft set. The Momir games are mental, had a few of those tonight as well.

For $5, the extra starter pack you can buy, with 200 more commons, is pretty good, there are some decent cards in there that get you closer to having a decent set of starting decks for the 2011 version.

All in all, I've spent more than enough for the time being, got loads of cards to work through to build some decks, and event tickets and sealed boosters that will keep me happy. All good stuff :)

Well, I took a beating in the sealed draft last night. A mis-click in my first game turned a possible win into a loss, and it all went downhill from there. 6 losses. But I learned a lot, am gonna try again tonight.

Played some games with a pre-built scars decks, won some, lost some, then got schooled by a guy with an amazing blue White deck, I could do nothing but play lands from turn 4. He gave me good advice though.

Cheered myself up with a game of Momir. That is a mental format. Great fun for a quick laugh