Dungeons & Dragons Thread

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#181 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

How they can pull this off without fragmentation I really don't know.
- Want to play a published adventure "Grathnor's Caves of Ultimate Doom" - it needs your group to be using the Advanced Combat Module, Magic v2 & Optional rules for epic level sandals & other footwear

You make it sound like GURPS.

#182 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5148 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

What is "roleplaying" and what stat do you need to make a successful check against? For me, the roleplaying comes out in my interactions with other PCs and GM characters; the collection of numbers on the sheet are a good guideline for how smart/strong/fast the character is - but the group should be adult enough to sort out social interaction without having to reach got the dice every few minutes.

There's absoluely nothing worse around the table than having one character roll (for instance) intimidate against another PC and claiming that that character must now be fearful of them - it strips out quality of interaction - I can understand rolling those dice if it's an unimportant goon on the recieving end, but I insist that any meaningful scene has to be dealt with as actual roleplay. If your character is intimidating, I'll take that into account as the GM in the responses of my characters - if I tell you that character you're dealing with is a fast-talking scoundrel, you need to acknowledge that in your responses.

To that end, D&D is excellent because it's a tabletop skirmish wargame - if you play it without the figures on the board (or pennies and buttons) then it loses a whole lot of impact really quickly. You play Levelling, feat stacking games to see your character improve and gain new abilities, but the impact of these is greatly diminished if the combat is reduced to a generalist vague meta-combat in your head; it's only when those figures hit the table that charing 30 feet and taking a 5 foot step between cleaves becomes in any way meaningful.

The system handles the mechanics, the players handle the Roleplay as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I find minis on a table distracting. For me, half the fun of roleplaying is using my imagination to picture the scene, and its far too easy to start worrying if you are at short or long range or if you need to take a minus because the halfling is in the way etc when using minis.

Whatever works though, there is no right answer, its all about what.your group likes :)

#183 Ersatz Nihilist

Ersatz Nihilist
  • Members
  • 2674 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Well, it's horses for courses I guess - it's just that D&D has a huge wealth of information in regard to distances and LOS because the game hinges around it, and in my view unbalances without it all.

The new edition of WHFR went completely the other way reducing this sort information, dissolving combats into a non-specific array of different distance categories. I guess in many ways I have the mind of a tabletop war gamer and the use of models only enhances my imagining of the situation, and creates a more cohesive group experience, as people are all singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak. It also adds a lot more thinking, as wizards can 't just splash fireballs all over the shop.

Heh.

#184 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

You make it sound like GURPS.

That's what it is in danger of becoming

#185 The Hierophant

The Hierophant
  • Members
  • 14417 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Monty Cook talks a bit about 5E and where it's going
They really do seem to be going for the wholly modular game angle.

How they can pull this off without fragmentation I really don't know.
- Want to play a published adventure "Grathnor's Caves of Ultimate Doom" - it needs your group to be using the Advanced Combat Module, Magic v2 & Optional rules for epic level sandals & other footwear

Don't get me wrong it'll be great if they can pull it off

It's like 2nd edition (skills & powers etc period - commonly referred to as 2.5 edition these days) all over again.

#186 The Hierophant

The Hierophant
  • Members
  • 14417 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

What is "roleplaying" and what stat do you need to make a successful check against? For me, the roleplaying comes out in my interactions with other PCs and GM characters; the collection of numbers on the sheet are a good guideline for how smart/strong/fast the character is - but the group should be adult enough to sort out social interaction without having to reach for the dice every few minutes.

There's absoluely nothing worse around the table than having one character roll (for instance) intimidate against another PC and claiming that that character must now be fearful of them - it strips out quality of interaction - I can understand rolling those dice if it's an unimportant goon on the recieving end, but I insist that any meaningful scene has to be dealt with as actual roleplay. If your character is intimidating, I'll take that into account as the GM in the responses of my characters - if I tell you that character you're dealing with is a fast-talking scoundrel, you need to acknowledge that in your responses.

I agree with this.

BUT:

To that end, D&D is excellent because it's a tabletop skirmish wargame - if you play it without the figures on the board (or pennies and buttons) then it loses a whole lot of impact really quickly. You play Levelling, feat stacking games to see your character improve and gain new abilities, but the impact of these is greatly diminished if the combat is reduced to a generalist vague meta-combat in your head; it's only when those figures hit the table that charing 30 feet and taking a 5 foot step between cleaves becomes in any way meaningful.

I disagree with this. I started playing D&D in about 1981 and to be honest I have played far more over the year without miniatures than with them.

3rd edition made miniatures much more important because of the 5-foot step and Attack of Opportunity type mechanics (although in reality these things were already in the game but were just less explicit).

#187 Jambo

Jambo
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

So, I've had a couple of sessions of D&D now and I must say I'm really enjoying it. I'm a human wizard who is seemingly inept at hitting anything other than teammates. :lol:

#188 The Hierophant

The Hierophant
  • Members
  • 14417 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

So, I've had a couple of sessions of D&D now and I must say I'm really enjoying it. I'm a human wizard who is seemingly inept at hitting anything other than teammates. :lol:

That's exactly what low level wizards should be!

And you should get nothing but grief from the party. Over time that will twist the character into a bitter and cruel person who loathes other adventurers.

And then you'll become more powerful than any of them, "Mwuh huh huh huh haaaa" :twisted:

This simple cycle (which has been with us since the early days) explains where all the evil wizards come from.

#189 Jambo

Jambo
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

:lol:

Can't wait for the next session. We're doing one of the stories from the 4th ed beginners pack and I think we're getting near the final encounter!

#190 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Posted Image

#191 Jambo

Jambo
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Stil loving this. I used my first daily power and summoned a flaming sphere. Which missed. Getting frustrated I used an action point and cast magic missile (the only single enemy attack I have :() and demolished one of the enemies who was causing the rest of the group a bit of trouble. :D

Does anyone know a cheap place to get miniatures from? My group is progressing to minis instead of using the tokens. My guess is that Warhammer stuff would be ideal but all I've got is 40k Tau and Space Marines (and a Chaos infused Terminator but that's another story...). I know exactly what my wizard looks like and could describe him but the minis I've seen on eBay don't quite match up to what I'm after.

#192 waddie

waddie
  • Members
  • 2795 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

If a plastic Empire Wizard doesn't have the bits you need, have a look at Reaper Miniatures. They have a huge range of figures aimed at role-players rather than wargamers.

#193 Jambo

Jambo
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Reaper minis look good! My wizard is a bit younger than your typical one so finding a 30-40 year old looking one with a well-groomed appearance is not as easy as it seems. Seen a couple I like the look of though. :)

#194 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

The Pathfinder SRD (basically all the rules without any of the pictures and fluff) is available as a PDF here
http://www.d20pfsrd....redirects=0&d=1

It's effectively a free version of the core Pathfinder book

#195 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5148 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Played my first session of it (Pathfinder) last Monday. It's like putting on a lovely old jumper that's got some new patches to repair the worn out bits. I like it quite a lot.

#196 Jambo

Jambo
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Cleared the intro dungeon and reached level 2! Still have some wrapping up to do but I have a magic staff +1 now which should make hitting things that little bit easier. Definitely going to 'forget' Cloud of Daggers and replace it with a better level 1 spell.

#197 sweetdaddyg

sweetdaddyg
  • Members
  • 7462 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm currently DM'ing a 3.5 game. Taking my players through the basic game starter set then onto published adventures...This has been great fun for all involved and I was wondering if any fellow DM's had any good tips

myself I sometimes use a voice changer for more demonic monsters and even play music and sound effects via my smartphone and some small speakers that jut out in front of my dm screen (yes, I know, moss from IT Crowd...)

Also, to prevent slippage of map tiles I use cheap grab mats, the kind you use on car dashboards etc, to stop them slipping al over

props wise, I find pound shops are invaluable...Poundland has some brilliant iron keys at the moment that are meant to be garden furniture but look just like medieval jailers keys

#198 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8518 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

Did anyone actually manage to host an online D&D session in the end?

#199 jonamok

jonamok
  • Members
  • 6743 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm currently DM'ing a 3.5 game. Taking my players through the basic game starter set then onto published adventures...This has been great fun for all involved and I was wondering if any fellow DM's had any good tips

myself I sometimes use a voice changer for more demonic monsters and even play music and sound effects via my smartphone and some small speakers that jut out in front of my dm screen (yes, I know, moss from IT Crowd...)

Also, to prevent slippage of map tiles I use cheap grab mats, the kind you use on car dashboards etc, to stop them slipping al over

props wise, I find pound shops are invaluable...Poundland has some brilliant iron keys at the moment that are meant to be garden furniture but look just like medieval jailers keys

Sounds like you're creating a very atmospheric game. In my weekly game the DM justs acts it all out, voices and all - typical frustrated am-dram actor.

#200 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8538 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Map-wise, by far the best thing I've used is a Chessex battlemat- doesn't slip much (although everything's on the same plot so it doesn't matter hugely), has both square and hex, and is dry-wipe so you can draw terrain etc. on as you go. It makes a huge difference for the DM because instead of a map tile or computer program where they need to have planned out everything to down to the square: with this you can more or less do it on the fly (for outdoorsy-type places or generic halls etc.). It also means you can change the map very quickly- stuff like brigands setting off landslides. If I ever DM a game I'm going to have some 'scenery' turn into treants or golems or something. The blocks are marginally too small for warhammer figures, though, which is annoying.

What I've done for miniatures before is to look through the archives at Legend games, find the name of a good-looking miniature (that will be out of stock on that site) and then look for it on eBay. Sometimes effective, sometimes not.

#201 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8538 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

If I ever DM a game...

Well, the time has come! We're working in Pathfinder rather than 3.5 now, and I'm just doing my first prep session. This is so much effort! I keep thinking 'Well, then this will happen, and we can have that encounter', but then remember that at any time the PCs could opt to avoid the sensible options entirely and so need to have backups on backups of how to bring them back on task, or have a few generic encounters to throw at them if they don't. Here's hoping it gets easier!

#202 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5148 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

I can guarantee that it will definitely get easier, but remember the cardinal rule of GMing.

IF THE PLAYERS CAN FUCK YOUR PLANS, THEY WILL.

If it all gets too much, don't be scared to take a break for ten minutes and have a think about it while they eat crisps, throw dice at each other and fart.

#203 Flams

Flams
  • Members
  • 8840 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Was chatting about this with some mates last night. None of us have EVERY played anything even remotely close to this but are keen to have a go.

I'm presuming a good place to start is the redbox? Is there much roleplaying to be done here or is it 100% combatcombatcombat? How long would the box keep us entertained for?

I've also been looking at 3.5, Pathfinder and the Star Wars game. Any opinions on these? What sort of game can I expect from them?

#204 filecore

filecore
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

I have never played the 4e Red box so I can't comment on that specifically. However, I ran the intro game for the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire at the club last night and it went down well. A bit basic for us, but would definitely serve as a nice intro to roleplaying. The system is good. I've also experience of running the Pathfinder beginner adventure. The Pathfinder boxed set is better value, and is just as well written as the Star Wars one for beginners. You can't really generate your own characters from the Star Wars one - only use the included pre-gens. Both offer extra downloadable content to give you an extra adventure of two to run. The intro adventures do err towards combat over roleplaying, and there's only so far you can get into it when you are using pre-gens, BUT they are a good intro to the system.

I suppose it would depend on whether the majority prefer sci-fi or fantasy.

D&D next is out soon, so the 4e Red box will (probably?) soon get superseded. In my limited experience D&D4e has a greater emphasis placed on miniatures compared to other systems. Sure, roleplaying can be about that, and all games can use minis if you want, but for me it's not one if the main attractions.

I will be running the extra DLC for the Star Wars soon ("The Long Arm of the Hutt"), and do plan to buy the main rulebook when that comes out.

#205 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5148 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Is there much roleplaying to be done here or is it 100% combatcombatcombat?

What do you think your group want out of the game? Character interaction, murdering orcs or a bit of both?

#206 Flams

Flams
  • Members
  • 8840 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have never played the 4e Red box so I can't comment on that specifically. However, I ran the intro game for the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire at the club last night and it went down well. A bit basic for us, but would definitely serve as a nice intro to roleplaying. The system is good. I've also experience of running the Pathfinder beginner adventure. The Pathfinder boxed set is better value, and is just as well written as the Star Wars one for beginners. You can't really generate your own characters from the Star Wars one - only use the included pre-gens. Both offer extra downloadable content to give you an extra adventure of two to run. The intro adventures do err towards combat over roleplaying, and there's only so far you can get into it when you are using pre-gens, BUT they are a good intro to the system.

I suppose it would depend on whether the majority prefer sci-fi or fantasy.

D&D next is out soon, so the 4e Red box will (probably?) soon get superseded. In my limited experience D&D4e has a greater emphasis placed on miniatures compared to other systems. Sure, roleplaying can be about that, and all games can use minis if you want, but for me it's not one if the main attractions.

I will be running the extra DLC for the Star Wars soon ("The Long Arm of the Hutt"), and do plan to buy the main rulebook when that comes out.

Thanks for this! Maybe it would be a good idea to wait and get the new one.

What do you think your group want out of the game? Character interaction, murdering orcs or a bit of both?

We'd want a mix of both, probably leaning slightly towards character interaction.

#207 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8538 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I've played 3.5 and (very recently) pathfinder. They're very similar- PF is more like DnD3.75 than anything else. I looked into 4th but it seems to try to balance the classes by making them largely homogeneous- they're very cookie-cutter, with much less room for interesting stuff. It's also more combat-based; I've heard it described as basically an attempt to pull DnD towards WoW.

PF is a better system than 3.5- there are a few bits of combat and skills which are made more sensible by it. Slightly less 3rd party material around for it, but that hasn't been a problem yet. If anything, that can actually help- fewer books to comb through!

You can absolutely tailor the campaign to be whatever your PCs want it to be- the only difficulty is that character interaction based campaigns have to be much more fluid, because it's less easy to dictate where a conversation is going to go than a combat. So you can't plan too far ahead and probably will have to have a couple of different 'paths'.

#208 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8538 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

My housemates want to have a go at DnD, and I'm the obvious choice for DM. I can't really be bothered to set up my own campaign again, though (especially if it's not going to last). I'd be most comfortable running Pathfinder or 3.5e; any recommendations for an out-of-the-box campaign?

There's only 3 of them, but we could probably draft in another player or two if necessary.

#209 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5148 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

A friend of mine has run a lot of Pathfinder, I'll give him a shout and see if he has any particular recommendations.

#210 jonamok

jonamok
  • Members
  • 6743 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Thought the thread was worth a bump as today sees the launch of WotC's 5th ed D&D starter set and free PDF of the basic rules here:

http://www.wizards.c...=dnd/basicrules

Very generous, and canny timing with FFGs Age of Rebellion rule book out today too.

5e rule books (player, DM and Monster Manual) plus a load of adventure books due over the next 5 months or so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users