Dungeons & Dragons Thread

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#31 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

It depends on the kind of noob. Some people will be more at home with a video-gamey action experience whereas others prefer something that requires they exercise their imaginations, or acting ability. Obviously 4e is aimed more at people who've played console RPGs and MMORPGs, and who like dungeon-crawling board games, which is exactly the kind of audience who are more likely to buy all the expansions, dungeon tiles and figurines Wizards are selling.

#32 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

Mate of mine is a long time (30+ years) RPG'er and he's given up on 4E. In his words "it's just a minis game, I've already got loads of things to play like that"

Campfire is right, it's pretty clear WOTC are going after that market of people coming from console/PC RPGs, MMOs and boardgames. Not necessarily a bad thing, but yes it ends up alienating older players and people after a purer role play experience. There's no doubt WOTC are doing this for business and market share reasons, not just to piss people off!

I deliberated for fucking ages about either getting more D&D 4E stuff (I had the 3 core books back from 2008 but never used them) or pick up something else like Pathfinder, which is a continuation of the D&D 3.5 system, or even the new Warhamer RPG* In the end I went for D&D 4E as any group I'm likely to get to play will all be first timers, but will have played lots of video and boardgames.
But I hear ya Blunted, it's not for everyone that's for sure.

*You think 4E is bad, the new edition of WFRP uses custom dice, special cards, all sorts of shit. I mean look at this, and that's an RPG! :facepalm:

#33 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41545 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

It's like any RPG, you evolve or you die. They must have had some decline or lack of expansion to do something as drastic as make it *gasp* accessible ;)
Joking aside, it's a parallel with World Of Warcraft. the games not the same for the old school who think it's too easy and anyone who plays it these days are scrubs because they enjoy the accessibility.

#34 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

With Pathfinder, the recent resurgence of first edition D&D-like games and PDF sites like RPG Now and Drive Thru RPG, whatever level of game you're interested in, you're probably going to be able to find it. It's not like old war horses have nowhere to go. Most of them have probably long since moved from printed materials to constructing their own adventures - and though those old systems mightn't be available from your local game store, the books are still good, you can still design characters and run adventures from them.

Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardlon have been very popular; I expect the Legend of Drizzt will be as well. If 4e is more along the lines of those acclaimed and popular board games it seems odd to say it's shit.

Edit: I should add that I haven't actually played any of these games. I think of the D&D board games as being kind of like Duel of the Planeswalkers - an introduction to a hobby for people who traditionally play in different media. I know big Magic fans weren't keen on Planeswalkers because of its lack of deck-building, but it was a great gateway for people who'd never played Magic before.

#35 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5083 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

It's like any RPG, you evolve or you die. They must have had some decline or lack of expansion to do something as drastic as make it *gasp* accessible ;)
Joking aside, it's a parallel with World Of Warcraft. the games not the same for the old school who think it's too easy and anyone who plays it these days are scrubs because they enjoy the accessibility.

There is a difference in making something accessible and basically changing the game though, isn't there?

I dunno, I'm pretty hungover and my brain is doubly sore having just spent three days drinking ridiculous amounts of beer and playing epic games of Twilight Imperium, but it seems to me that Dungeons & Dragons isn't actual roleplaying anymore. It's a minis game with levelling.

I know the truth is that it's all about the benjamins for WotC. I also know I'm being a snobby cunt, but I just think it's a bit wrong.

If I want to introduce someone to RPGs I use the CoC rules. Simple, easily understood percentage based stuff.

#36 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8495 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

A run-down of a couple of short campaigns I've played in the last couple of years:

http://www.srcf.ucam..._Still_Not_Dead

http://www.srcf.ucam...3.5_Is_Not_Dead

#37 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5083 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Nice one, really looking forward to having a proper read of them. I love campaign write-ups. Are you gming?

#38 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8495 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

No, I played the ranger in the first link and the monk then the barbarian in the second. They're fairly short campaigns as they're run at university and so can last a maximum of a couple of terms. I considered DMing but after trying to put together a single session it just took so long to balance the combat that there was no way I could do it on a week-to-week basis.

#39 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5083 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Combat balancing is what GM screens are for ;) you are in charge. Pretend they missed if you don't want to kill PCs.

#40 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30371 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Still not had much chance to read my starter set :unsure: but I'll get to it soon! Does anyone know of any good starter podcasts or regular ones worth listening to that might help?

#41 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

I've really enjoyed the official one. There are a few others thy I tried out. Some were just recordings of people playing, others were more general RPG ones. None of the fit the bill though, they were either too amateur or unfocused to be of any use.

The official one is really well put together, mixes things up episode by episode and really helps get you in the mood.

I've not even played a game of 4th edition yet, but thanks to the podcast I feel like I've got a good feeling of what it's about.

Be sure to check out the Penny Arcade playthroughs with the great wizard Jim and Jim's Magic Missile. Really funny and engrossing games that help spell out 4th edition and how it plays.

#42 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30371 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Are the official ones on iTunes?

Edit. Found them, listed as D&D.

#43 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

I've got my own question to add. I saw a set the other day, I think it was called Dungeon Master Essencials. It Consisted of three books (I think) one of which was named Dungeon Master Rules (again not 100% sure, but it wasn't Guide as in the normal book)

Anyone know what this set is and how it fits in with the standard books and starter.

Are the official ones on iTunes?

Yup.

#44 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30371 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Here's some blurb on it, seems a good starter set for DM's:

My link

#45 Sirloin

Sirloin
  • Members
  • 11685 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

Mate of mine is a long time (30+ years) RPG'er and he's given up on 4E. In his words "it's just a minis game, I've already got loads of things to play like that"

Campfire is right, it's pretty clear WOTC are going after that market of people coming from console/PC RPGs, MMOs and boardgames. Not necessarily a bad thing, but yes it ends up alienating older players and people after a purer role play experience. There's no doubt WOTC are doing this for business and market share reasons, not just to piss people off!

I deliberated for fucking ages about either getting more D&D 4E stuff (I had the 3 core books back from 2008 but never used them) or pick up something else like Pathfinder, which is a continuation of the D&D 3.5 system, or even the new Warhamer RPG* In the end I went for D&D 4E as any group I'm likely to get to play will all be first timers, but will have played lots of video and boardgames.
But I hear ya Blunted, it's not for everyone that's for sure.

*You think 4E is bad, the new edition of WFRP uses custom dice, special cards, all sorts of shit. I mean look at this, and that's an RPG! :facepalm:

The Pathfinder stuff is generally pretty great, I browsed through a lot of it a while back and was impressed. The adventure paths in particular were very good. 4E I thought was pretty poor by comparison, 2nd edition is still probably my favourite, although basic D&D with the Mystara setting is great too.

#46 Sirloin

Sirloin
  • Members
  • 11685 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

Incidentally, I may well be getting rid of a shit load of old D&D stuff if anyone is interested, need to work out if I can store it still.

#47 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41545 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

ME! ME!

Wait, maybe me....infact no, I don't need it :(

#48 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5083 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Still not had much chance to read my starter set :unsure: but I'll get to it soon! Does anyone know of any good starter podcasts or regular ones worth listening to that might help?

If you want general advice, I would highly recommend the Happy Jack's RPG podcast. There are loads of them, but the first 5 or 6 (iirc) had some excellent general advice for both running and participating in games.

#49 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

In addition to the official podcasts D&D's official YouTube channel has some great videos on it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DNDWizards

#50 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30371 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Thanks all :) Plenty to be getting on with.

#51 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7793 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

Incidentally, I may well be getting rid of a shit load of old D&D stuff if anyone is interested, need to work out if I can store it still.

Dude, let me know...

Also, anyone else heard these rumours about [drumroll] 5E? Looks like there may be an announcement at GenCon. Odd considering the amount of layoffs at WotC this past month.

#52 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Another round of layoffs? Poopy.

I was listening to the podcast when Dave Noonan got laid off, it felt like a bit of a sucker punch. He was a strong part of the podcast team and public face of 4E.

#53 Sirloin

Sirloin
  • Members
  • 11685 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:17 AM

Dude, let me know...

Also, anyone else heard these rumours about [drumroll] 5E? Looks like there may be an announcement at GenCon. Odd considering the amount of layoffs at WotC this past month.

I'll check next week that its all still there and more or less together. Its quite a lot, a load of first edition modules (complete war of the spiderqueen series and so on), just about every 2nd edition FR supplement, first edition FR boxed set, Dark Sun 2nd edition, just about every Mystata gazetteer (minus maps unfortunalely but you can get them online), and a couple of other miscellaneous boxsets like Hollow World, Spelljammer Crystal Sphere one, a couple of the big dungeon box sets. I want them to go to someone who will use them rather than flog them, so you or moose would be ideal :)

#54 Joyrex-J9

Joyrex-J9
  • Members
  • 17405 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

5E!?

Oh FFS!

#55 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

They probably need a redesign in light of this:

"Pathfinder has surpassed D&D in most of the markets that I check."

#56 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30371 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

Never even heard of this Pathfinder before. Does anyone here play it?

#57 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7793 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

I have the latest Core book - it's massive and awesome, real hardcore adventurin'!

Also - @Sirloin - that's a LOT of stuff! How much would you want for it?!

#58 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30371 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Do you have problems finding people to play with? Might be a daft question but I'm only plodding along with what I've seen so far, no idea how it all hangs together with groups n whatnot.

#59 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7793 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

It can be a bit of a pain - most of the folks I really enjoy playing with are pretty far away so our meet-ups are irregular at best. Quality over quantity, mind. A brilliant once shot is way better than an average campaign that takes a few months.

#60 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30371 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Well I've opened the Starter set up and starting pinging all the circles and cards from the bits of board. The books are quite good at guiding you through and the pull out gaming board is too big to play anywhere in my house but on the bedspread :lol: I've also downloaded a couple of single player campaigns and will start working my through them.

Can anyone recommend anymore single player campaigns for it? Been looking at getting Heroes of the Fallen Lands/Kingdoms plus some starter miniatures :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users