Rift

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#271 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5726 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

No, nowhere nera as good as what I got from LOTRO.

#272 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5912 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

Aaaaaand the second attempt at the world event ended up being a bit pants. They disabled some abilities for certain classes/souls (including a pretty major one for chloromancers meaning their healing went to pot), but for EVERYONE so if you were raiding/pvping/instancing instead of the event you were screwed. Still lots of lag and DCs and phase 2 was the same boring crap as last week. Phase 3 was just a cut scene, which pissed off a load of 50's expecting some bosses to fight. Lots of people saying that they cant even get into the new raid or if they do they end up crashing after a while.

Oddly I've been enjoying the game more recently than I was, and I'm considering staying another month. I have a feeling they may see that drop in subs soon though.

#273 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5912 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

Well this topic has gone quiet! I'm still playing (not at level cap yet, I'm mostly enjoying it but have been playing it in small bursts or exploring).

Questing has started to get a bit better, but its still mostly boring. I think thats because most of the time you have to kill tonnes of mobs to get to your quest location(s) and then by the time you have done that, they've respawned and you have to kill tonnes more to get back to the quest givers. I can only be arsed to do that so many times in one session. Still, some of the story stuff is quite nice, and I like that they update the loading screens to remind you of the story.

I'm still playing as a shaman, though I think I may respec it soon to pick up to self healing from the Justicar tree. I'm not sure if I have enough points to make it worth it yet though. I quite like the shaman/druid/warden spec I'm running though, even if the fae pet looks retarded. I started playing with macros yesterday. I had set up my keybinds to have all my procs on my mouse buttons, but thought after reading comments about 1 button dps macros thought I'd try it and see. To be honest I really think it needs looking at, as now I have 1 button that does my rotation optimally. Not only that, it will use ranges attacks if I'm not in range, then switch to melee as soon as I do. All I have to do is spam 1 button. What shocks me more is that there are tonnes of people on the forums defending it, some coming up with pretty mental reasons

"Well, we have so many procs/abilites that we need macros, its been designed with the amount of abilities we have in mind"
"its a playstyle choice and you dont have to use it if you dont want to"
"if anything it means I know the class better than people who dont use the macros because I know how to make it work"
"I enjoy creating macros, its fun so dont take it away from me!"
"I still have to have awareness to move out of fire and such!!"
"Trion have put it in as a way of showing your character growing in strength, its like having the ability to sense when you can use stuff in a fight!"

In my opinion if we have too many abilities that macros become the optimal way to play, then the abilities need looking at. Not only that, being able to spam a macro should be a pretty good indicator that there is no thought in the use of them - you ALWAYS use them as soon as possible, turning it into whackamole. Because of this, I have all these abilities but I dont really care about them, because I never have to think about how to use them. Also while you can choose not to use macros, you loose performance by not doing so. Basically you can do less dps, but have "fun" (though whackamole aint that much fun) or use a macro and do optimal.

Also, selling artifacts is a great way to earn cash. Hell, its about the only thing that sells on my server.

#274 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5726 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

Yes the macro stuff is pretty stupid, my world PVP build Sham/Inq/Just 28/26/12 has a single target macro that can drop anyone in seconds with one button and it's really quite stupid that it's possible.

#275 Sumire

Sumire
  • Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

I think I will try this now there is a free trial. :)

#276 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5912 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

If you can, try to get to level 20 at least (I say this not knowing what the maximum level is for trials!). I think you'll know by then if its the game for you. Up till 14-ish I was loving it, after then it tailed off and some of the issues I have with it started becoming more apparent. If you can, pick a high pop server too. Low and some medium pop ones are really a pain at times, on mine the AH is virtually none existent.

Its still fun, and I can see why people like it so much, but it has its flaws.

Also stay away from the forums. There is no helpful info there, generally just a lot of people spouting hyperbole, and either massive Blizzard haters who constantly have to bring in WoW to every topic, or people who seem to want the game to fail, despite having shelled out money on it.

#277 Sumire

Sumire
  • Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

Had a blast tonight on the free trial, got to level 10. Its very slick, graphically amazing and almost an exact copy quest mechanic wise of you know what. I think I will wait out for the Star Wars MMO though.

#278 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5726 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

Yeah anyone want a free trial drop me a line if I give out 3 I get some weird looking mount.

#279 fragglerock

fragglerock
  • Supporters
  • 8658 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

If anyone still plays this and wants a TF2 hat I think I can give them one.

http://wiki.teamfort..._Hat_Claim_Code

Posted Image

#280 Takizawa

Takizawa
  • Supporters
  • 9598 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

It's all gone a little quiet in here... is anyone still playing?

I've managed to find some more time to play recently, and i'm very much into it. My cleric (justicar/druid/shaman) is now level 30 and after finally making myself a druid heavy DPS build alongside my tanking/healing justicar heavy build, i'm finding playing solo a lot more satisfying.

I also started a mage (chloromancer) to play alongside a friend, we're both currently level 22 and it's also very enjoyable. The concensus seems to be chloro's cant heal too well before level 50, but I like the style.

#281 idespair

idespair
  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

An old WoW friend convinced me to give it another go, and for me it was third time lucky with a character (the last two lost their appeal around lvl 30). With a bit of money to buy a mount at the start, alongside a guild to join and a decent build from the forums I shot to lvl 50 in under 4 days play time. I'm now enjoying slowly gearing up through the odd dungeon run and a few dailies - it makes a nice change in comparison to the old WoW days.

It does still suffer from some bad lag in heavily populated areas, but when you've got 80 people fighting a world boss I guess that's to be expected. I'm enjoying it.

#282 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5912 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

I stopped playing not long ago. Partly because I got back into WoW, but the game just wasnt doing it for me. DPS classes bored me - it was either a mass of keybinds that you just hit when lit up, or macroing everything into a few buttons, but both ways were totally un-engaging for me - and I wasnt that fond of healing with the UI. Not only that but I like trying new classes and re-rolling in this game means doing one of 2 starting zones. Which means splitting your characters between factions.

I also didnt particularly find Rifts or Invasions that interesting. I know some people love them, but I just think they're rather repetitive and uninteresting. Invasions generally tend to be zerg fests without any co-ordination, and Rifts tend to be a case of being lucky and finding someone to close them with you. It wouldnt be so bad, but they're used as a fall back for everything. Want a new soul? Close a rift. New dailies appear? "Oh somethings happening, get me these things....whats that, where do they drop? Rifts." End of a quest line. Fight a bad guy....who comes from a rift. I know the games called Rift, but really.

It has potential, and there are some nice ideas in there. The class system has a lot of potential though I think a lot of classes suffer from not really having much of an identity. It looks lovely in places too. There are a few "dynamic" events as well that show potential - like a trader being attacked by thugs, and you can kill either and the one you let live sets up stall, either a book seller or a "shady goods" vendor. I think it will get better as long as subs dont drop drastically and its funding gets cut. I can see myself going back to it at some point. When that is, I dont know.

#283 tyagi

tyagi
  • Members
  • 5046 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

In case people have missed it, you can now download and play Rift for free up to level 20. Known as "Rift Lite".

After seeing lots of positive reviews and even "best of 2011" awards, I decided to download it and try it out. I'm.currently subscribed to WoW and play LotRO occasionally.

All I can say is that I've been really pleasantly surprised. It really is a great MMO. The class and skill system is massively flexible, and the dynamic events such as Rifts really add a lot.

I'd recommend if you've not tried it, or only played when it was first released, to try it out.

#284 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5912 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Rift announces first expansion pack

KEY FEATURES

• Adventure across two huge new continents that more than triple the size of the existing world
  • A new Soul for each Calling expands the Ascended Class System – build the hero you want!
  • Rise to new heights of power through 10 challenging levels, increasing the level cap to 60
  • Dimensions: Customizable spaces allow players and guilds to own a sliver of Telara
  • Become the talk of the town and boost your stats with stylish new capes
  • And more!

Some other tidbits that have been revealed;

- there will be a world boss that tramples around and actually interacts with the scenery - destroying stuff, stomping on bridges. Think of the Fel Reaver from Hellfire Penninsula in WoW on steroids.
- 3 raids and 7 dungeons on release.
- players will get cloaks, though rumours are these will have a feature similar to guild tabards.

I havent played for a while, but I have been keeping tabs on the game and will probably re-sub to give the expansion a whirl. While Trion do make mistakes, the amount of content they have added to the game has been immense.

I am quite interested to see what they do with the stuff they've announced. There is a video from E3 about the world boss and it looks pretty cool, and some of the concept art looks lovely. But there are a few things that concern me. First the size they've said for the world - they dont have the player base at the moment to really make use of it. Players now tend to only be seen in the highest level zone or the cities, unless there are zone events happening. The number of players on each server simply isnt big enough and most of it will be empty I fear. There are ways around that by adding events in each area, but then you just end up moving people around.

Second is the sheer amount of content. People say that the Rift launch was one of the smoothest, but pretty much every dungeon and raid had bugs. With Hammerknell, it didnt matter too much because the place was hard enough that most people didnt see them, only the hardcore banged their heads against them till they got fixes. Then they released Infernal Dawn, which in all honestly seemed like a bit of a disaster. Less bosses than the previous raid (which everyone seemed to hate, forgetting that Hammerknell was the first to give them more than 4 bosses), and even with 8 bosses it still was gated and released in 4 stages. The hardcore raiders did the first 5 bosses the first nights they were available, then the released the 6th which was declared unkillable by most till it got hotfixed. After the first night, 2 of the leading guilds disbanded, though one did say they were planning to ages ago due to D3. Then the 7th boss was the easiest boss in there, followed by the last boss which was bugged stopping people from killing it, but was killed as soon as hotfixed. This was all coupled with drama stemming from Trion inviting guilds to test the bosses, with NDAs stopping people from saying what was tested, which led to people blaming guilds for not catching bugs, and claiming the race for firsts was tainted. In the end I dont think anyone cared about world firsts for ID. And then there were the bugs. One boss was hotfixed god knows how many times, and still doesnt work - they just ended up disabling one of his mechanics instead. Another boss could be trivialised by rogue tanks using one of their mechanics to reflect massive damage back at them. Others had mechanics that didnt really do a lot and could just be healed though. Then there was a boss that had a "hardmode" which was classed by some as the easiest method of doing it. It just didnt seem to be handled very well by Trion, and I think that having to push out enough content for an expansion is going to be tough for them to do without having all the problems they had there. It seems to have left a pretty sour taste in the mouth of the raiding community.

#285 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

So out of interest - I've seen a lot of advertising for this, and a mention of it raised a big cheer from some people at a con I attended last year - but I know nothing about it. What is there of interest about it to separate it from the pack of other MMOs?

#286 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5726 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

The class system is the best out there bar none, so many combinations, roles and specs the mind boggles, a Cleric for instance can be MPDS, RDPS, Healer or a tank and each of those has variations on how you do a specific role and you can switch to any of those roles on the fly.

#287 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5912 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

So out of interest - I've seen a lot of advertising for this, and a mention of it raised a big cheer from some people at a con I attended last year - but I know nothing about it. What is there of interest about it to separate it from the pack of other MMOs?

1) as Yswr said, the class system has tonnes of versatility, you have 4 classes with 8 (9 in the expanision) "souls" which are the equivalent of talent trees in wow/tor. You can mix and match any of these 3, so you could in theory have a rogue tank mixed with the pet skills, mixed with the poison-centric tree. The reality is its not quite that versatile - while you could make that combo, I'm not sure how viable it would be - you still get a lot to play around with per character. Obviously there are some specs that are better than others, but balance isnt too bad considering. Each character also gets 4 (IIRC) templates they can switch between.

2) Content. One of the key selling points Trion wanted Rift to have was how quickly content was released. Its on its 9th content patch in slightly over a year, and each patch has added something extra for players to do. Previously there have been 3 20 man raids added, 3 10 man raids, 2 (I think) 5 mans, a new island full of content that was roughly twice the size of the then current level 50 zones, 3 "chronicles" which are 1-2 player versions of raids/areas designed to give out more lore, Master Mode versions of 2 dungeons to make them much harder, Instant adventure which are essentially scaling group quests that you can join from anywhere. Thats not counting world events (essentially dailies you can grind for rewards), adding features like a wardrobe and LFD. In the latest patch they added mentoring (de-levelling so you can do quests/dungeons and the appropriate level) and a 3 faction pvp system called conquest. This rapid content delivery is not without its drawbacks though. Often there are a fair number of bugs or exploits that occure when they release them. For example currently they have disabled conquest due to people farming spawn spots for massive rewards. They have also been apparently causing masses of lag to everything else on that server when they happen. The last 20 man the released had a fair number of bugs to the point several raiding guilds disbanded, and the rest barely cared about world firsts. When the bugs are sorted they tend to be very well done though.

3) Fixing stuff. They tend to push hotfixes out very quickly. Again, this doesnt always work (one of the raid bosses in the latest raid has been hotfixed about 5 times and still doesnt work as they intended him to) but they do fix a lot of stuff pretty quickly. Balancing is also similarly done quite a lot. It does mean that things can change quite a bit, but it also means that you dont tend to have long periods of one class being top dog.

4) services/paid for stuff. Server transfers are free on a weekly cooldown and can be done as many times as you want, to pretty much wherever you want. Unfortunately this means that sometimes you get clusters on a server or 2 that are full, and the others are pretty empty. You can take advantage of that if you want to change your name too. They also have "special editions" which are basically add on packs with in game items, including a mount and a pet. Which may sound a bit Blizz store-ish, but its only a fiver per pack (there are 2) rather than £17 for a sparkle pony. Also, they've said if you get the upcoming expansion, you get the original included if you havent already, but if you have you get a discount on it. While this all makes it sound like they are pretty generous (and they are to be fair) be warned that if you buy the game really cheaply as it appears sometimes, you dont get the month included so check that when you buy. Its usually when they have the offer on it for a fiver.

Unfortunately Rifts and Invasions, which were heavily hyped and why it kept being called a "dynamic" mmo arent actually that big a part of the gameplay. They are kinda fun, but tend to fall into a couple of categories. Either theres one thats taken over your quest hub and there are bugger all people around and its a massive pain in the arse, or there's one that part of a world event or some other reward thing where most the server turn up and it becomes a zerg-fest. You'll generally have to grind them out for certain things, but they arent anything amazing brilliant that I think sells the game.

You should totally grab the free trial though and play that. Be warned though, the 1-50 experience is probably the most boring thing about the game. Its not terrible, just not as good as wow or tor, and a bit bland and linear. Also be warned that the community can be fairly....defensive about the game. Try going on to the mmo champ forums and dont even trash the game, but talk about wow positively or say that you think GW2 will be better and watch them jump all over you.

#288 George Clooney

George Clooney
  • Supporters
  • 5912 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

The new expansion for this has been out a couple of weeks now. Anyone playing it? I am tempted to pick it up when it eventually gets knocked down in price (which if the original game is anything to go by wont take that long) but was wondering if there were any impressions from people who arent as massively fanboy-ish as the people that post either on MMO champ or the official forums about it.

#289 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6950 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Rift including the Storm Legion content is free to play until the 18th for anyone with a copy, so previous subscribers can go back to try it out. The PC Gamer review of Storm Legion sounds quite promising. The Christmas event is also running at the moment.

Happy to see the level cap has also been increased, I stopped not long after hitting 50 so going to give it another go this weekend.

#290 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6950 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Going F2P June 12th. Welcome news as I thought it was a pretty solid MMO, perhaps not the most exciting but I had an enjoyable time with it, can hit the new cap and see what the expansion is like.

If you fancy starting earlier you can get the game, Storm Legion and 30 days subscription for free from Raptr. The code also applies to existing accounts, giving the expansion and game time.

#291 Yswr

Yswr
  • Members
  • 5726 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I've tried playing this again but I can't play for more than 5 minutes without the game freezing up and CTD and I can't find any answers anywhere as to what it might be.

#292 Doctor Shark

Doctor Shark
  • Committee Member
  • 5802 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Ask top-cat - that's basically how his computer reacts to every mmo he plays, so he might be able to help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users