Vita

• Please log in to reply
23526 replies to this topic

#6421 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31145 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

The worst thing about Vita is it's so easy to lose your life to. Without disturbing the TV or other people, you pick up this lightweight, unobtrusive piece of kit and play PROPER games. I'm really in love with it.

There are proper games available on all handheld systems you know

#6422 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17330 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

All games are proper, but Vita games are more proper than others.

#6423 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14086 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Scott i think he has a point. DAT SCREEN and the controls and the games make handheld gaming a viable alternative to big screen gaming for the first time ever. Uncharted for example was just as immersive and visually impressive as most Console games. All without hogging the living room TV.

#6424 simms

simms
  • Members
  • 4625 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm assuming that he means Vita has enough powa under the hood to play games that are comparable to the games he would play on the HD machines not like these other mickey mouse portable systems.

#6425 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

don't google 'Vita shut down' or 'blue light of death' then. This has rather ruined my evening, I had just downloaded Katamari on the PS3 and now I have nothing to play it on. If it is a hardware problem on these launch units then I am screwed as I've bought everything digital so no refunds if I want my money back on the system. Age of digital distribution doesn't look so great now

These seem very likely to be software (firmware/OS) issues, rather than hardware faults. It's very early days for the Vita firmware, and getting software right is much harder designing hardware.

So to put a positive spin on it, if these are firmware related, they can be addressed via software updates.

#6426 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19591 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I think I might finally have 3G working now. I have been having email conversations with Vodafone although they have been suggesting things that I've already tried, and it's impossible to register for an account on their site. Happily, I did some sniffing and found some good tips.

First of all, I connected via wi-fi and made sure that the firmware of the Vita was up-to-date, which everyone should do automatically anyway. Once updated I switched off wi-fi, went to the Network Operator thing and changed the APN to Vodafone. After that I went to the Vodafone site on the PC and instead of trying to register for an account (currently borked) I just went here... http://www.vodafone....nline/index.htm ...and chose "Top up online" before filling in the top-up form as usual. If this works, you'll get a message through to your Vita. It helps to have wi-fi switched off during all of this just to make sure that you're definitely receiving the confirmation message via 3G. :D

Long story short, registration on Vodafone is shafted and it's easier just to do the quick top-up. After doing all of the above I was able to use the browser whilst wi-fi was still switched off, so it's all good. Oh, and of course you should browse the Vodafone site on a PC rather than the Vita. :)

EDIT: all that said, I did ask for the SIM to be activated during my email tennis with Vodafone, so I'm not sure if that's part of it too...

#6427 polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
  • Members
  • 4446 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Anyone else having trouble buying games on psn? I keep getting an error message trying to buy Motorstorm RC.

#6428 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 15968 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Something weird was going on when I tried to buy it from the trial earlier as well. In the end I had to delete it and just buy it from the store.

#6429 simonski

simonski
  • Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Anyone else having trouble buying games on psn? I keep getting an error message trying to buy Motorstorm RC.

Yes, it's not been working for me - get an error when trying to download the activation file. (I should add this is after buying it on the Vita)

#6430 Garwoofoo

Garwoofoo
  • Members
  • 5162 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Scott i think he has a point. DAT SCREEN and the controls and the games make handheld gaming a viable alternative to big screen gaming for the first time ever. Uncharted for example was just as immersive and visually impressive as most Console games. All without hogging the living room TV.

I think the PSP achieved this too, particularly towards the end of its life. In the last year I've played Tactics Ogre and Persona 3 on my PSP (amongst others) and they're my two favourite games I played last year with each eating up 80+ hours of gaming time.

With the Vita, though, I'm really hoping for some of the big games to also routinely get Vita versions - and 90% of cases I'd get the handheld version, because I don't feel that the Vita is any sort of compromise and it fits into my life so much better. A handheld version of something as good as Skyrim is now a real possibility.

#6431 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17330 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Having two analogue sticks also helps a lot.

#6432 MoFo2

MoFo2
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

I took the time and made a Spotify-list of the soundtrack of Lumines Electric Symphony. It is however, not complete as I managed only to find 28 out of 34 songs.

#6433 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Supporters
  • 23473 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

A handheld version of something as good as Skyrim is now a real possibility.

If they put Dark Souls on Vita, I'll buy one.

And that is my Pledge to you, Mr Sony.

#6434 mansizerooster

mansizerooster
  • Members
  • 1727 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

I genuinely can't wait until a genuinely, properly scary game comes out on this console.

#6435 ColinMac

ColinMac
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

Anyone fancy trading my Lumines for a Wipeout 2048? /Runs to trading forum...

#6436 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8357 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

I had the blue light of death the other day. Simply just hold down the power button for 30 secs and choose 'restart the vita' It seems definitely more of a firmware problem but after doing that I've had no bother with it again.

#6437 KriessG

KriessG
  • Members
  • 4749 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

I took the time and made a Spotify-list of the soundtrack of Lumines Electric Symphony. It is however, not complete as I managed only to find 28 out of 34 songs.

Subscribed... this is going to tip me into buying one soon isn't it... I have a Gamestop 0.8 miles down the road according to Google Maps...

#6438 angel

angel
  • Members
  • 29130 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

Really falling in love with this system now. Playing some Hustle Kings on wifi at work, crap music off, just lobbies full of chilled players just having games..like the old Virtual Pool 3 days on the pc. Wipeouts rock hard but great, Motorstorms spot on and absurdly cheap. The store integrations brilliant, buying retail or keeping all on memory cards is spot on. Not even touched EG and Lumines which I bought yet, nevermind Rayman and all the rest. I prefer the system to the PS3 even, by quite some distance. Its like a proper next gen playstation, and you can carry it about.

#6439 James Ape

James Ape
  • Members
  • 2577 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

Unit 13 makes me wish someone would port the Club to the Vita :)

#6440 SPE

SPE
  • Members
  • 4329 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

Fuck's sake. I think I'm going to have to replay Tactics Ogre again. I just copied it over and fired it up to see what looks likes in all the OLED glory. An hour later, and it's got its hooks deep into me again.

PSP emulation so far is great. I've tried Ultimate GnG, Powerstone, Darkstalkers and TO. All look lovely, and the Vita colour space gives a pleasing over saturation to everything. The filtering is subtle and loading times all round are a noticeable improvement over the PSP. Once Pixlejunk Monsters, PSone games and a few Minis are compatable, my Vita will have a pretty astonishing library on it. All within a few weeks of launch.

#6441 Super Craig

Super Craig
  • Members
  • 11905 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

Although it wasn't my first choice, I love the case in the official Travel Pack. You can fit a Vita and a 3DS in there at the same time.

#6442 angel

angel
  • Members
  • 29130 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:07 AM

I didnt like the official ones at all. The travel kit one seemed cheap, the pouch was worse than the PSP original. The weird sandwichy one gave no protection and looked weird. The mad catz one was a piece of fuck, i got the 4gamers one. Oh and I just dropped the naked vita on the carpet tiled floor at work. So it's tough.

Posted Image

#6443 simms

simms
  • Members
  • 4625 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

One thing I'm slightly disappointed by is that I thought wipeout would be 60fps. This is based on the demo I played unless the full game is more smoother.

#6444 angel

angel
  • Members
  • 29130 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

I dont think theres ever been a 60fps handheld wipeout, I didnt expect it..and its fine.

#6445 simms

simms
  • Members
  • 4625 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

I dont think theres ever been a 60fps handheld wipeout, I didnt expect it..and its fine.

I naively expected vita would have been the handheld machine to deliver 60fps but it's fine I'm still buying the full version.

#6446 sandman

sandman
  • Members
  • 6439 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

How the heck do you delete demos off the vita?

#6447 Gotters

Gotters
  • Supporters
  • 1544 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Like on ios, press and hold an icon then they start to wobble, you then see 3 dots which give a delete option (but not on the preinstalled crap like near)

#6448 Paulando

Paulando
  • Members
  • 19438 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hold the icon til the edit mode appears, then tap the little button that then appears at the top right of the icon :)

#6449 sandman

sandman
  • Members
  • 6439 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the help.

Obvious it aint.

#6450 Garwoofoo

Garwoofoo
  • Members
  • 5162 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

PSP emulation so far is great.

I tried Final Fantasy IV Complete last night and turning on the bilinear filtering makes a massive difference - it looks wonderful, like it was made for the Vita rather than the PSP. The Vita's probably the first machine that genuinely enhances previous-gen games as opposed to just supporting them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vita

8 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users

Bing (1), MW_Jimmy, Blunted, shirubagan, Jim