Binary Domain - Debut Teaser

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#151 Matteo

Matteo
  • Members
  • 1190 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

The highway section was brilliant! it kind of reminded me of the chase sequence in matrix 2.

#152 BrokenThumbs

BrokenThumbs
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

The story is this is really good, only a few hours in and its a bit blade runner-esque with surprisingly decent writing and good delivery.

Expected no less from the Yazuka folk, but at the moment it's got me more hooked than the shooting

#153 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11306 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

The story is this is really good, only a few hours in and its a bit blade runner-esque with surprisingly decent writing and good delivery.

Expected no less from the Yazuka folk, but at the moment it's got me more hooked than the shooting

Have you met Mifune yet? The cutscene before that is quite something.

#154 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8759 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Finished it there now and didn't really have a lot more to do. Needless to say what I said before is the same, it's utterly fucking ace and easily an early top ten contender for this year (I know, it's only February but still...).

The first thing that comes into mind is how slick and polished it is, it's typical of a Yakuza team game but it's nice to see it apply to this as well. It runs well, good framerate and I don't really recall many issues whilst playing it on the 360. As for the game itself the controls seem to be a bit tighter than the demo, I do especially like how when you hold down the run button for the roadie style run you still have near enough full control in terms of turning etc. Your character is basically much faster and much more mobile, very arcadey compared to Gears Of Wars movement if that makes sense.

As I said before the game is much a unique mix of japanese and western. The western part is very much in the gameplay mechanics, it's a third person shooter and it doesn't really try to change much about this but for the better IMO. Afterall we know how the japanese don't really do third person shooters (in the style of Gears....) that often and when they've tried they've failed. (Quantum Theory, aaaah my head). Hell even some western shooters don't do it properly. Where Binary Domain comes into its own is with the actual combat and the scenarios it places you in. The combat itself is really satisfying, I don't honestly think I'll ever get bored of shooting the robots in this game, the way every single one of their body/armours panels comes off is really satisfying and when you see yourself slowly whittling down the robots it's a lot of fun to see the damage you are doing, especially with the bigger robots you encounter. It's one of the more varied shooters I've played in a good long while, they constantly mix things up and have lots of various set pieces and different kinds of enemies. Never once did I feel bored playing this game and to be honest with you, I got really bored playing Gears 3 a chapter or two in (just as a comparison, I've not calling Gears 3 an awful game). It feels in a way an arcadey version of a third person shooter, it can be incredibly fast compared to other shooters of its type.

Where the games japanese sensibilties come into play are with its story and the way it tells it and even the way the game handles its characters. It's very similar to the way they tell the Yakuza games in the way they present the cutscenes and mix them in with the gameplay. The voice acting and dialogue is pretty decent and the characters are a lot of fun with some funny dialogue between them. One thing to note is that a few of characters are very stereotypical when you first encounter them, a big black dude named Big Bo who goes 'Aight' and 'Brother' and a french robot who literally speaks in a funny french accent going 'Ah oui monsieur'. They aren't bad characters as such and some of their dialogue is great but when you first encounter them it's very much 'japanese representation of black dude/french guy' The bosses encounters in the game also felt very 'japanese' to me and were all a blast to play. Don't worry you'll be getting no Conan last bosses with this.

The story itself was very good I thought, it's certainly not exactly going to win any praises for great writing but it was different from the normal third person shooter fare and was interesting the entire time. If they ever manage to make a sequel I'll be interested to see where they go with it.

As for problems well I have a few niggles but nothing that would really hamper my enjoyment. For example, in games like Gears... when in cover you can get to a corner and turn the corner whilst still in cover. Little things like that would be. Also, a lot more I felt could have been done with the dialogue system. I would like to have seen it effect more things in the game, give proper branching pathways etc. Maybe something that can be worked on in the future. I've heard the voice communication stuff is really good but tbh I never once used it. My northern ireland accent kept resulting in the game telling me it couldn't recognise shit I was saying :lol:

Anyway short summary, it's awesome and well worth a look. I really really want a sequel but knowing Segas marketing fuck only knows what will happen. Now that they've got the controls right I'd like to see what craziness the Yakuza teams creativity can come up with next.

SEGA + little hype = £15 in three week's time, £10 in a few months. Looks good but I'll wait.

Same. Mad not to!

Yeah I don't think you'll have to wait long tbh. It's £25 on zavvi already and I suspect it'll be under £20 in a few weeks. I'll be buying it then myself, I really regret not buying this compared to renting it but I'll be doing my part and picking it up soon enough (along with Yakuza Dead Souls)

#155 BrokenThumbs

BrokenThumbs
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Have you met Mifune yet? The cutscene before that is quite something.

No not yet. :)

Loved the intro bit at the beginning with the flashback to the President'smeeting with the US Army. Bit cheesy but done very well indeed.

At first I was slightly disappointed that this wasn't more of an RPG but like others have said, if you accept it as a straight arcadey shooter with some light tactics, it's a blast

#156 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11306 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'd love to see them do a sequel where they explore the trust-consequence system a little more, maybe with more of a branching narrative. And the story doesn't quite live up to the early promise, even though it touches upon themes other shooters wouldn't go near. But the pacing is excellent, the shooting is really satisfying and it's just thoroughly entertaining throughout. It's definitely one of my favourite games of 2012 so far.

Sadly, I don't think a sequel will happen. It hasn't done anywhere near the numbers the Yakuza games do in Japan, and unless it performs above expectations over here (unlikely, as there's been next to no marketing of it) I think this will be a one-off. I think the budget will have been much higher than for Yakuza, too.

#157 Matteo

Matteo
  • Members
  • 1190 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Just finished it on normal and started it again on hard with aim assist off.

I Should have played it on hard straight away, because I didnt unlock the highest difficulty level...I wonder if I can unlock it for with the level select.

The game is a blast. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. Its so pleasing to play a Sega game through and through. TBH the last Sega game of this kind I played was Headhunter/Headhunter redemption.

I am curious to see if there are branching paths...I dont know if you can save or fail to save people in certain points of the game, and maybe get a different ending. the ending I got was brilliant.
Spoiler

#158 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11306 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

I thought Dan was an idiot at first, but I warmed to him as the game went on, and the final cutscene is
Spoiler

#159 Matteo

Matteo
  • Members
  • 1190 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

PS: the game accepts voice commands in English, Japanese, italian, spanish, french and german. try shouting MATTE!

this from the official site:

The Consequence System is a unique system that plays throughout the game combining gameplay elements and AI to create different in-game experiences based on your actions, your choices and your words. It is an interactive system that builds based on your actual in-game behaviour, aggression, courage, cowardice, pace and your dialogue with the other members of your squad, giving you constant feedback on how you are working with them and how you talk to them, both inside and outside of battle, however the fundamental element of The Consequence System is trust.
This isn’t a simple choice of go it alone or work as a team, each squad member has a different personality and will respond differently to your actions, meaning there’s no right and wrong, just your way of play. Certain actions will raise a character’s trust and others will lower it. Conversation can be divisive, often setting one squad member against another, and your choices will have an impact on their opinions of you and their actions throughout the story of Binary Domain.
To build a very low level of trust you have to really not care about the rest of the team. You have to put them in difficult situations they are unlikely to survive from, speak to them badly, issue poor commands and perform badly. The result is a more solitary experience, you’ll find the squad hang back, not wanting to put themselves in danger for you, they won’t be as proactive, they’ll disregard your commands and they won’t offer their help if you are in trouble.
To build a high trust level, you have to really work to get to know them, know their likes and dislikes as well as their specialities. You have to fulfil the tactics you agree to and you have to perform them well. The difference is that you will see much more of a squad dynamic and the general team morale is vastly improved. If they agree with your commands, they will now act upon them, they’ll offer strategies, they’ll talk to you more and you will see they are now all working together a lot more.
The consequences of your actions are not only noticeable in the gameplay but it will impact the path you take through the story. Different team members will see different things in the environments and depending on your trust levels will suggest different tactics to take down the enemies. The way you are working together will trigger different events at different points in the campaign so your experience will vary depending on who you take with you, how you work with them and how you perform.

for those who dont mind spoilers, heres one of the best parts of the game:

Spoiler

#160 womblingfree

womblingfree
  • Members
  • 17060 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

Binary Domain took second place in this weeks sales figures in Japan. Not bad. :)

http://andriasang.co...a_create_chart/

#161 Kiwi Cake

Kiwi Cake
  • Members
  • 1270 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Really enjoying this so far. As others have noted it's not only extremely solid mechanically, the story is relatively well told and the characters quite interesting once you get past the surface level stereotypes.

Like Vanquish it's just really enjoyable to play. The weapons are all meaty and the robots are so extremely destructible it's great to experiment with the many possible ways to dismantle them. The conversation/squad command stuff is underutilised but it does add something to the game.

This has been a really pleasant surprise as I wasn't really following the game. It's similar to The Darkness II in that sense, where I enjoyed the demo and decided to grab the full game and both have proven to be extremely worthwhile experiences. I really hope they do get to make a sequel to this as there is a lot to build upon.

#162 Dave White

Dave White
  • Members
  • 12650 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

it all feels right, but the voice coms seldom do what I say, and the voice acting is grating for me personally.

The story is good, but seems to have veered off and the played out on rails sections are a watse of time. A jetski section which controls horribly, and a meer dodge quest is uneccersary and pointless.

it fails to compete or come near the big budget kick ass hard hitters of it's peers, both grapically and in level design, but I much prefer the robot enemies to the enemies in say GOW.

It just feels sparce and underdone and if I'm honest a bit lazy in places, and I think it's been rushed out in it's barest form. Another 6 months dev time and a little bit more spit and polish would really have made this special.

#163 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8759 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

it all feels right, but the voice coms seldom do what I say, and the voice acting is grating for me personally.

The story is good, but seems to have veered off and the played out on rails sections are a watse of time. A jetski section which controls horribly, and a meer dodge quest is uneccersary and pointless.

it fails to compete or come near the big budget kick ass hard hitters of it's peers, both grapically and in level design, but I much prefer the robot enemies to the enemies in say GOW.

It just feels sparce and underdone and if I'm honest a bit lazy in places, and I think it's been rushed out in it's barest form. Another 6 months dev time and a little bit more spit and polish would really have made this special.

Really ? I thought it was really well designed generally, polished to a hilt and one of the best paced games I've played in a long time. I can't think of anything in the game that would make me think rushed or lazy at all. If anything it comes across as a real labour of love, a Sega arcade version of what they think a third person shooter is. Not every single thing works of course but I'm really surprised at how great the game is.

I do agree about the jet ski section though, the controls in that were a bit too twitchy to say the least and it wasn't all that great. However I'd still take another Binary Domain over a lot of other franchises (including Gears....). I haven't been this excited/enthusiastic about a new third person shooter in ages.

However I agree with Rudderless in that I'm pretty certain this will be a one of a kind, it's japanese flavour might put some people off but as well as that there's been no, and I mean literally none from what I've seen, advertising. I sometimes think Segas marketing execs are too busy doing blow from some hookers tits to actually bother promoting their games.

#164 BrokenThumbs

BrokenThumbs
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Didn't expect much but the horde style mp mode called Invasion is quite fun, with a few people. The enemies are pretty deadly so it's essential to use cover and stick together as a team.

Competitive mp seems borked though.

#165 BrokenThumbs

BrokenThumbs
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

DP

#166 Matteo

Matteo
  • Members
  • 1190 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

My second playthrough on hard, aim assist off, The spider boss is a proper biatch! I havent managed to beat it yet...this is exactly the thing I was looking for, a good reason to use all the available options. tomorrow Im going to try ordering my team around to see if we can bring the bastard down together.

#167 Down by Law

Down by Law
  • Members
  • 3892 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I'm really looking forward to picking this up, but with ME3 on the horizon I know it won't be touched in a while. The demo took a few goes for it to 'click' but now I understand it , it's really fun to play. Great music as well. More robots in games please!

Does the full game let you pick the japanese voice overs?

#168 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8759 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

I'm really looking forward to picking this up, but with ME3 on the horizon I know it won't be touched in a while. The demo took a few goes for it to 'click' but now I understand it , it's really fun to play. Great music as well. More robots in games please!

Does the full game let you pick the japanese voice overs?

No. There are japanese voices in it for some of the other characters you meet but the main characters speak in english.

#169 Fusty Gusset

Fusty Gusset
  • Supporters
  • 10614 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Loved the demo - need something to keep me interested 'til SSX eats my life away. So £25-29 on the high street right?

#170 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8759 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Loved the demo - need something to keep me interested 'til SSX eats my life away. So £25-29 on the high street right?

Well HMV are flogging it for £34.99 and Game are flogging it for £39.99. Needless to say, don't buy from either of them. The cheapest place so far is Zavvi online for £24.99.

Unfortunately I think this is going to be very cheap very soon. Debuted in the UK top 40 at 35. That's actually worse than Yakuza 4 which debuted at 25 last year and that was PS3 only. It's had good worth of mouth though so maybe more people wil buy it when it's a bit cheaper but still, I'm very doubtful for a sequel.

http://www.eurogamer...p-spot-for-vita

#171 Labradigor

Labradigor
  • Members
  • 18885 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Quite impressed with this. I love the secret mini game of 'Spot the movie influence'

#172 KartoffelKopf

KartoffelKopf
  • Members
  • 2621 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Had a very quick blast of this last night and was really impressed with presentation and the combat feels nice and meaty. However, the voice controls just confirms my belief that I will never be comfortable talking to my television. Even with everyone in the house fast asleep, I just feel like a massive cunt saying these very deliberately over-enunciated words like 'Shit!' and 'Fall Back!' especially as it only seemed to recognise the words if I talked like Moss from IT Crowd.

#173 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3573 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thoroughly enjoying this so far. I was always a little hesitant because i'm a sucker for Vanquish, but this plays/handles well enough to quash my concerns. The first massive boss encounter (spider) was very impressive!

Typical Team Yakuza quality on the cut-scenes/character face models etc. Cliched cast, but the story is intriguing enough to keep my attention.

Game on...

#174 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6082 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Having just finished this, after finally taking a break from the Vita, for me it's up there with the best in the genre.

It's certainly not without its faults — the framerate can get pretty egregious in places, and the squad communication system isn't executed as well as it could have been — but it's a good length, has great pacing, the script is surprisingly decent for the most part and it has a refreshingly different flavour to Western shooters.

Of course the real boon is the combat. Personally I've always found Gears to be somewhat unsatisfying in the way its enemies are bullet absorbing bags of viscera, but here not only does the enemies' tenacity make sense but your shots still feel powerful, with armour plating and parts shattering across the battlefield. Headshots are especially satisfying — and useful, as it disables the enemy's friend-or-foe system — as is the pump-action shotgun.

The enemies themselves are nicely varied, too, and conveniently colour coded so you can prioritise targets at a glance. It's excellent fun to shoot out a rush unit's legs as it tries to flank you, take the head off a sniper lurking at the back of the pack and then charge the remaining bots when their attention is drawn away by their own support shooting them in the back. The bosses also mix things up, even if they do follow the classic tradition of forms and glowing weak points.

Having dabbled in the online mode Invasion seems like a very hardcore Horde mode, marred by certain design decisions and somewhat wonky netcode. My first attempt I ran out of ammo entirely, with seemingly no way to purchase any until you're through a 5 round set, although the second attempt went a lot smoother thanks to equipping my character with nanites that granted a 30% increase to ammo capacity. Strangely you don't seem to earn XP playing co-op, so I'm not sure if you actually unlock new stuff when you level; I tried jumping into a competitive match but I think it must've been a boosting session as my own team were killing each other and voted to kick me the moment I entered.

If you've any interest in third-person shooters you should play this game; I'd recommend starting on Survivor difficulty if you're decent. It might not quite have the polish or technical prowess of something like Gears 3, but the shooting is excellent, the story is enjoyable nonsense — with some degree of player influence upon proceedings — and it's unlikely to ever get the chance at a sequel.

#175 BrokenThumbs

BrokenThumbs
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

The competitive mp is okay once you can get into a game.

Once you find players you all join a lobby and wait for the host to start the game, here you can all just mess about and wait for more players but people think it's the actual mp game and get frustrated when they can't kill you and quit out!

#176 Down by Law

Down by Law
  • Members
  • 3892 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

hoping for a £17.99 mega monday special this weekend on this one, I'd order it today for £25 but sods law dictates if i did it would be reduced the next day.

#177 Mr.Jeff

Mr.Jeff
  • Members
  • 5182 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

Just finished this off tonight and most confess I loved it to bits. The story is a bit too cliche in some moments but overall has an interesting theme. Combat is amazingly fun especially towards the end if you max out your assault rifle and you just mow through the fodder robots.

My only two niggles about the entire thing would be:
Spoiler

#178 Epcotman

Epcotman
  • Members
  • 3427 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Aw, I want this bad! I'm on a self imposed game buying ban since all of my Vita loot, last week.

#179 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8759 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

Just finished this off tonight and most confess I loved it to bits. The story is a bit too cliche in some moments but overall has an interesting theme. Combat is amazingly fun especially towards the end if you max out your assault rifle and you just mow through the fodder robots.

Spoiler

In relation to one of your points Mr Jeff

Spoiler

#180 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11306 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Spoiler

Agree with your first point. I guess they wanted you to focus on the main weapon because it had the electro-charge thing but I'd have liked the choice of upgrading the others. That said, I spent a fair bit of time with the SMG - it's lovely and noisy, and at one point when I'd equipped a load of defensive boosts I was just charging enemies with RT held down. So satisfying. And the sniper rifle got a bit of use when enemies weren't too close - I'd pop heads from a distance and have the enemy do half the fighting for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users