RPG 360 PS3 PC

• Please log in to reply
11609 replies to this topic

#10321 Jarik

Jarik
  • Members
  • 4584 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

I've never had a Dragon attack in Whiterun. I considered it a kind of safe "hub" area & was surprised to learn it has the same chance of being attacked as the other towns.

#10322 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1791 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

The same chance as everywhere else? That's insane. I've spent an inhuman amount of time in Whiterun and have never had a dragon attack there. What are the odds.

I need to finish this game soon. I'm making good headway but have still got tonnes to do. I've not even started the Bard's College or Dark Brotherhood quest lines yet but have finished the Mage's college and Companions lines and have got one mission left of the Thieves Guild line (because a certain item I have to return is a little too useful to give up just yet). I have spent faaaar too long doing misc quests and am now strolling about at level 50 something mashing shit up.

Not touched alchemy at all either, which maybe I should. Such a big game.

The Daedric quests are fun though. Done most of them but messed up one of the first that I did (Hircine) so probably won't get the achievement. Sad times.

#10323 cultofweaver

cultofweaver
  • Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

I've only ever had two attack me in Whiterun itself. The evil cunt who robbed me of my cash, and one quite early on.

That one was also annoying as it's skeleton refused to disappear and was stuck outside my house (literally right outside). Eventually because it would go all St. Vitus Dance whenever I fast travelled in it managed to get wedged halfway into my house and into the place next door. I got so annoyed with having a big fuck off Dragon's corpse in my front room that I moved to Riften.

I assume a patch somewhere along the way fixed it since when I eventually went back there it had finally gone.

#10324 Frosty

Frosty
  • Members
  • 5274 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

I've come back to Skyrim after a few months break. Want to tie up the main quest and probably do the Companions and Civil War on this character. As a giant Nord who likes smacking people with his spiky shield he isn't too suited to Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild. I've justified him in the Daedra lines as a Moorcockian type who feels he can bargain with the higher powers because he is such a bad ass and because he holds such high contempt for them. Or something.

I've remembered why I never got the main quest done though, there is so much to bloody do! I was just loafing about the wilderness and I found a shack with some old codger and his grandson and he's sent me off on another 'proper' quest. I can't keep up. I'm trying to do one quest to every main quest chunk now, just captured the dragon in Whiterun, but the Jarl's son is a whacko so I'll do that before flitting off to Sovngarde.

Finding some challenge again, guessing them patches did something? Elder and Ancient Dragons can really shit me up now.

#10325 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66115 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

The same chance as everywhere else? That's insane. I've spent an inhuman amount of time in Whiterun and have never had a dragon attack there. What are the odds.

I don't know, but it happened to me and pretty early in the game too (I think it was the third or fourth attack including 2 triggered by the story. In fact, I thought it was part of the story, but it turned out to be an unscripted random event. It was pretty exhilirating, the dragon was sitting on top of my fucking house!

Also got a random dragon attack in Riverwood.

#10326 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17777 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

I didn't realise you could have Dragon attacks in the walled towns, I've only ever had them in the open ones. They seem to trigger off Fast Travel mostly, the first 50 hours I spent wandering I only saw one that wasn't story scripted or in a set Dragon Roost.

Best bug so far was warping somewhere and having one just drop out of the sky, already dead. Free Dragon Soul!

#10327 Captain LeChuck

Captain LeChuck
  • Members
  • 14173 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Heh, I'm back in work tomorrow after being off Friday and today. I booked it off to have a long weekend with Max Payne 3, but my 360 fucking up put paid to that, so I've been adventuring in the lands of Skyrim. Popped down to Morrisons this morning, and am about to crack this open:

Posted Image

:D

#10328 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66115 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Only one bottle? Won't be much of a session then...

#10329 Captain LeChuck

Captain LeChuck
  • Members
  • 14173 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Yeah I do have work tomorrow...

#10330 unspec

unspec
  • Members
  • 7845 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

After about 260 hours I've finished Skyrim. Loved it.

I think a break is due, I'll start another character when the DLC comes out. :)

#10331 Karzee

Karzee
  • Members
  • 8211 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Eurogamer: Skyrim gets mounted combat in new update

Mounted combat is the headline addition in Skyrim update 1.6, due out on PC and consoles soon.

As detailed on the Bethesda Blog, the patch will allow both ranged and melee combat on horseback.

Posted Image

Update 1.6 also brings with it a number of bug fixes and stability tweaks. PC users can try it out now in Steam beta, though a final release date has not yet been set.

Here's the change log in full:

New features:

• Mounted Combat

Bug fixes:

• General stability and memory optimisations
  • General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
  • Optimisations and crash fixes for data leaks
  • Fixed rare crash with lighting
  • Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
  • Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
  • Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
  • Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
  • Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
  • Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
  • Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
  • Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
  • Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
  • In "The Break of Dawn" fixed rare issue where Meridia's Beacon would disappear from player's inventory
  • Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
  • Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
  • Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
  • Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
  • Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)

#10332 dirk_beefhammer

dirk_beefhammer
  • Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Awesome!

No more getting off your horse everytime some stupid bear wants to eat you.

(Although I bet we still have to get off the horse to loot the corpse.)

#10333 Mentazm

Mentazm
  • Members
  • 6825 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Mounted combat sounds like a feature worth returning for, still got quite a lot of cheevs to mop up and tonnes of locations and spots uncovered still.

#10334 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9463 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I might have to get in and finish this on my horse then, only got the main mission and the war to go, which is part of why I stopped but I should really just get it done.

#10335 tnman

tnman
  • Members
  • 2145 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Ulfberth War-Bear is missing in my game!

So I've just taken Whiterun for the Stormcloaks, and have also just started the quest Stealing Plans for the Companions. I mention these because I've read on a couple of other places that these questlines seemed to have an effect on this.

Warmaiden's is permanently closed, with his dear old wifey still working away outside and telling me to go in. I've checked the pub, Jorrvaskr, and the Hall of the Dead (although I wasn't sure what I was looking for in the latter) and there's no mention of him anywhere. When I went in the pub, though, one person mentioned there having been a dragon attack, but nobody else is talking about this. Therefore I think it might be a person who lives outside of Whiterun who may have witnessed that very first dragon fight in the game.

I've also tried the 'trick' mentioned elsewhere about breaking in Warmaiden's backdoor and leaving through the front, but that did nothing apart from giving me a key to the place (cos I have that lockpicking perk).

Has anyone got any ideas? I really valued that shop because of how much I could sell to them both and how many smelting materials I could buy from them. I want my Wulf-y back.

#10336 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17777 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Might be one of the radiant Companions quests, those involve "Storekeeper being held to ransom at ruin X".

I didn't know why the Whiterun General store was closed for ages until I saw I had one open.

#10337 tnman

tnman
  • Members
  • 2145 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Do you know which member of the Companions I'd have to talk to to start that quest?

#10338 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1791 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

He was caught up in the Forever Mourning bug in my game for ages until a patch finally released him but that doesn't sound like that's what happened in yours.

I guess the radiant quest thing might be available from Provencus or whatever his name is in Dragonsreach providing that that type of thing is locked to Hold?

#10339 Corrogate

Corrogate
  • Members
  • 3820 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

so, i started playing this. has the animation being shit been raised enough?

#10340 Corrogate

Corrogate
  • Members
  • 3820 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

don't fucking neg the post, it should be up for debate. it's shockingly bad.

#10341 Robbo

Robbo
  • Supporters
  • 5562 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

I didn't have a problem with the animation.

#10342 errollw

errollw
  • Members
  • 3603 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

While it's not fantastic, I wouldn't say its shit.

Skyrim, being an epic game, obviously has to spread its resources out. Considering the quality of the of animation over the huge range of different NPCs, I think it's rather good. The quality of animation compared to something like Max Payne 3 or other euphoria games hasn't been discussed because the game sucks you in so much you don't notice.

"Jack of all trades, master of none,
Certainly better than a master of one" etc etc.

#10343 Corrogate

Corrogate
  • Members
  • 3820 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

i hear you errollw, i do, and there should be leniency concerning the issue of scope, but i mean, i went down to the water to check the rapids and they just looked bad.

i'll say this though, i'm not finding it overly enjoyable at the mo'. i probably will when there's a need for escapism. some of the locations i've seen look great. when there's a need for it, i'll probably be deep into it.

#10344 sidewaysbob

sidewaysbob
  • Members
  • 13192 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

don't play it then .. your loss.

#10345 Mentazm

Mentazm
  • Members
  • 6825 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

I always thought the problem with the ES games is the combat animation - it's incredibly janky and melee combat is simply 'RUB AGAINST ENEMY TILL DEAD', there's no skill involved.

#10346 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53417 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

ooh

#10347 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1791 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Cooool.

#10348 Mr.Crowley

Mr.Crowley
  • Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Fangtastic!

#10349 tnman

tnman
  • Members
  • 2145 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Looks like a lot of vampirism risk there! Think I might keep my lycanthropy then.

#10350 Jamin

Jamin
  • Members
  • 8312 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Bethesda dawn good!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG, 360, PS3, PC

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1), Bing (1)