RPG 360 PS3 PC

• Please log in to reply
11555 replies to this topic

#31 deKay

deKay
  • Supporters
  • 32221 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

YES MUTHAF*CKA! Can't wait for this but shame that it'll be on the Gamebryo engine. Very strage since Bethesda has almost exclusive use of id's Rage enginge:

http://www.shacknews...article.x/65113

But the Rage engine is nothing like as complex as the Gamebryo one, which (now it's been modified at least) covers the game logic too - where 99% of the complexity of Oblivion/Fallout 3/NV lies.

#32 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 16303 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

I don't know why people were expecting a new engine. Giantbomb were talking as if it was a certainty, because "it's been three years" or something, but it completely forgot that they'd released Hunted: The Demons Forge since then and therefore would be a regular length product cycle with no time to develop a new one.

#33 Dr Seedyman

Dr Seedyman
  • Members
  • 4737 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

You could make a whole game out of the Dark Brotherhood missions from Oblivion.

I FUCKING LOVE OBLIVION!!

#34 PC Master Race

PC Master Race
  • Supporters
  • 22745 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

But the Rage engine is nothing like as complex as the Gamebryo one, which (now it's been modified at least) covers the game logic too - where 99% of the complexity of Oblivion/Fallout 3/NV lies.

And you know this because? Nobody knows exactly what T5 will bring, even then I'd be surprised if it wasn't modular enough for things like AI/physics/etc to be changed.

#35 Philly

Philly
  • Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

You could make a whole game out of the Dark Brotherhood missions from Oblivion.

I FUCKING LOVE OBLIVION!!

100% agree. From the moment i was offered a place in the Dark Brotherhood, i didn't want it to end. Screw closing the gates, I wanted to be an assassin! :ph34r:

The only true RPG for me, i could wander the hills and forests for hours (i did). And it has to be 1st person for me, i'm sure they will. Maybe they'll stick in some mirrors in shops and houses so you can see what you're wearing. not hard.

I didn't get the special edition, so didn't see the DVD. ah well.. brilliant news this. Made my day.....

Now the wait. :mellow:

#36 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 23012 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

Posted Image

Looks pretty good for a Wii game.

#37 Dr Seedyman

Dr Seedyman
  • Members
  • 4737 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

100% agree. From the moment i was offered a place in the Dark Brotherhood, i didn't want it to end. Screw closing the gates, I wanted to be an assassin! :ph34r:

The only true RPG for me, i could wander the hills and forests for hours (i did). And it has to be 1st person for me, i'm sure they will. Maybe they'll stick in some mirrors in shops and houses so you can see what you're wearing. not hard.

I didn't get the special edition, so didn't see the DVD. ah well.. brilliant news this. Made my day.....

Now the wait. :mellow:

The Dark Brotherhood was just so infinately badass. Not one of the missions was remotely shit. All of them were epic.

#38 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17338 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

The Dark Brotherhood was just so infinately badass. Not one of the missions was remotely shit. All of them were epic.

Even the biggest Oblivion haters would admit the Dark Brotherhood missions were great. Far better quests, dialogue, story, far better everything than the rest of the game.

#39 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16007 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

Fucking Gamebryo. Bethesda's version of it has never been a particularly great engine, with a lot of inherent clunkiness, and the limitations in terms of NPC numbers have been adversely affecting games since Oblivion. It's particularly noticeable in several places in Fallout New Vegas, with all these separate cells and low numbers of NPCs simply so the game doesn't grind to a halt.

Presumably they'll upgrade the engine a bit, and not just use the same 2006-vintage shitpile yet again. But even so. Gamebryo. Ugh.

#40 Trent Taylor

Trent Taylor
  • Members
  • 4213 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Maybe they'll stick in some mirrors in shops and houses so you can see what you're wearing. not hard.

I never thought of that, so obvious really. And reflections in water. It would make a huge difference, connecting yourself to your character more without losing the immersion of first person.

#41 Wroth

Wroth
  • Members
  • 8126 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

I don't know why people were expecting a new engine. Giantbomb were talking as if it was a certainty, because "it's been three years" or something, but it completely forgot that they'd released Hunted: The Demons Forge since then and therefore would be a regular length product cycle with no time to develop a new one.

Hunted was developed by InXile. Bethesda only published it, which they do for loads of games.

#42 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2723 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

I never thought of that, so obvious really. And reflections in water. It would make a huge difference, connecting yourself to your character more without losing the immersion of first person.

More developers need to use mirrors effectively. It's awful when mirrors appear to be blurry grey windows reflecting nothing of your environment.

#43 Wroth

Wroth
  • Members
  • 8126 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

More developers need to use mirrors effectively. It's awful when mirrors appear to be blurry grey windows reflecting nothing of your environment.

There is a reason for that though. It's a significant performance cost to render them in realtime, especially if they don't add any crucial extra gameplay.

I do agree however, that it would be worth it in this kind of game.

#44 Philly

Philly
  • Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

even if there are mirrors just in shops or rooms in inns. Split the room with an exact duplicate through a door with glass effect, with another character exactly like you mimicking your moves, at least it would give the illusion of seeing yourself once in a while.

I think i restarted Oblivs 3 times, the first 2 times with over 200 hours play time, more than most full games (with a see in the dark khajit first time... i really missed my see in the dark).
My final play through was well into 1000, seeing new things all the time.... i spent hours alone just in

Spoiler

i'm going to be slavering over this thread for months. :)

#45 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3643 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

YES MUTHAF*CKA! Can't wait for this but shame that it'll be on the Gamebryo engine. Very strage since Bethesda has almost exclusive use of id's Rage enginge:

http://www.shacknews...article.x/65113

Bethesda split their engine dev (stopped taking their updates) from Gamebryo a few years ago from what I've heard, but I really hope they use Rage or give the engine a good kick into shape. Although as long as it's a strong core experience I don't really care what it looks like.

#46 Philly

Philly
  • Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

my Hyperbole gland has just gone into second gear, this is going to be a long (3 months, 6 months, 12 months)

It would be great if Bethesda used Tech5 a bit, they hinted at it looking like it was on a new console. The snapped up ID (and tech5) in 2009, not sure when, but they've had a whole year of dev time to integrate tech5 into Elder Scrolls. I know it's all guessing, but im getting quite moist here.

I want to know everything, and i want to know nothing.

#47 Jamin

Jamin
  • Members
  • 7623 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Oblivion was and still is my fave game on the 360, so am made up that it's sequel is semi-confirmed.

Fingers crossed for some details soon. :)

#48 sonicwave

sonicwave
  • Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

I just hope TESV will play like Oblivion when it comes to fighting and such, but in a Morrowind-ish world when it comes to quests, travel and lack of hand-holding.

I'm pretty sure about the first part - sadly not so sure about the second...

#49 friedgold

friedgold
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

Aye. Morrowind with Oblivions combat - i.e. you swing your sword and it will hit *something* - would easily be my favourite game of all time.

#50 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2723 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

As someone who never really played Morrowind, what was different about the combat?

#51 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16007 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

It essentially used dice rolls in the background. You were still swinging your sword or firing arrows in the same way (though not with directional swings and so on, from what I remember) but even hitting an enemy with your sword wasn't enough. The game might decide that it was a miss depending on your skill.

On the other hand Morrowind didn't use level scaling so as you levelled up you got a genuine feeling of power, as previously unassailable enemies became manageable and common bandits became about as threatening as ants.

#52 Strangelite

Strangelite
  • Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

Swapping out the renderer on one engine and implementing it on another isn't that big a job. It'd take a decent programmer no more than 6 months if the engine(s) are both set up to work generically.. Something Carmack is a world leader in... I'll bet my bottom that the next Oblivion (or whatever it's called) has the tech 5 renderer (with it's proceedural texture system) and has the GameBryo logic and physics running behind it...

Having said that, I think the renderer engineers who worked on Oblivion are surely some of the best in the world too, so if you think they've "not done much" on fallout 3 and NV, then they've probably been tweaking the oblivion engine all that time...

Not that I really care all that much, you could whip out another oblivion tomorrow that's exactly the same and I'd still go apeshit over it... :wub:

#53 Philly

Philly
  • Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

Oblivion is one of my favourites ever, but things i would love them to add and change would be

• I agree with Rudi, non-scaling enemies, both sides of that coin.. the feeling of progress, and massively dangerous areas when you're weak, giving you a real feeling of fear/achievement
  • This wont happen, but i'd love to be able to have you own house/castle properly. bit of interior design, even collecting things, being able to expand and build your own house (Minecraft style!) Actually, the Minecraft collection of raw materials for house/weapon/armour/accessories building would be amazing.
  • Not an online multiplayer, but maybe something where you could see others wandering around, like Test Drive Unlimited. I don't know if this would knacker the game. Maybe online only in an Arena?
  • Instead of fast travel, possibly gaining flying dragon? Or you have to learn a spell to do it? Is this stupid? It would be more fun than just randomly zooming around. (i always felt i was cheating and missing stuff)
  • I would like it if you looked down, you could see your body, just just empty ground.
  • Shapeshifting spell so you can turn into animals for a time (depending on the spell power) run faster as a wolf, fly as a bird, fight like a bear. Manimal!

Lots more, but i'm just hoping Oblivion but more and deeper.

#54 Philly

Philly
  • Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

... you could whip out another oblivion tomorrow that's exactly the same and I'd still go apeshit over it... :wub:

Even after my little want list rant, i agree with this. :D

#55 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2723 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

What does everyone think of the level scaling in Fallout 3?

I got screwed over by Oblivion a little, leveled up a rogue/thief character quite quickly and ended up not having enough brawn to take down enemies, had to lower the difficulty.

Fallout 3 to me felt like a vast improvement, weak at the beginning and you felt that you were improving until you were pretty much master of the wastes.

#56 Charliemouse

Charliemouse
  • Members
  • 7343 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

How about if there is people on my friends list playing it, I should be able to see and interact with them in my game.

#57 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16007 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:42 AM

What does everyone think of the level scaling in Fallout 3?

I got screwed over by Oblivion a little, leveled up a rogue/thief character quite quickly and ended up not having enough brawn to take down enemies, had to lower the difficulty.

Fallout 3 to me felt like a vast improvement, weak at the beginning and you felt that you were improving until you were pretty much master of the wastes.

Fallout 3 was still pretty silly with it - you could take on Super Mutants at level 3 and so on.

I prefer the approach in Morrowind and New Vegas - enemy levels are constant, so your character's potency increases in a logical fashion.

#58 Fenton

Fenton
  • Members
  • 6104 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

I'd like to play the game Philly described.

#59 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2723 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, I think all games would benefit from the addition of a flying dragon.

#60 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17338 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

I heard they spent six years getting flying dragons to work in Gran Turismo 5, and the game is all the better for it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG, 360, PS3, PC

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users