RPG 360 PS3 PC Kinect

• Please log in to reply
5532 replies to this topic

#91 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

So Kotaku are reporting it might be a multiplayer spin off.

The BioWare project teased earlier today by Spike TV's Video Game Awards is not an early look at Mass Effect 3, according to a development source, but the multiplayer-focused Mass Effect spin-off currently in the works at BioWare Montreal.

That Mass Effect game is not a massively multiplayer online version of BioWare's sci-fi RPG series, but a game that's designed to appeal more to the Call of Duty market, according to that source. We're told to expect player progression in the vein of Activision's wildly popular online shooter along with some sort of single-player component that does not feature Mass Effect's Commander Shepard in a leading role.

None of that should really be too surprising, given hints BioWare and EA have dropped in the past.

BioWare Montreal, which has aided in Mass Effect 2 development, was seeking multiplayer programmers earlier this year to "take existing single player user experiences and make them multiplayer safe." BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk has also said that there will be more games set in the Mass Effect universe outside of the series' main trilogy.

EA's John Schappert has promised "something far-reaching coming from Mass Effect" in the new year, something a December-timed reveal could drum up new enthusiasm for. Schappert could have simply been referring to the PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2, however, which is due in January 2011.

Finally, former Raven Software (Quake 4, Wolfenstein) lead designer Manveer Heir moved to BioWare Montreal this summer to work on Mass Effect, giving the developer some well-known multiplayer shooter talent.

We've reached out to EA to seek comment on the details provided by our source and will update if they respond.

http://kotaku.com/56...player-spin off

Not sure how I'd feel about a MP Mass Effect. I'm sure it will be good, but I was hoping this might be a prequel/spin off with a different character in a different part of the galaxy.

#92 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41649 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

I just want ME3 :(

#93 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15575 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

To be honest, I don't care what it is. It's a Bioware game, I'm buying it.

I used to do that too.

Unitl this.

Posted Image

(shudder)

#94 Ghost

Ghost
  • Members
  • 6648 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:01 AM

So Kotaku are reporting it might be a multiplayer spin off.

http://kotaku.com/56...player-spin off

Not sure how I'd feel about a MP Mass Effect. I'm sure it will be good, but I was hoping this might be a prequel/spin off with a different character in a different part of the galaxy.

Could be awesome if done right, Im hoping for a Phantasy Star Online type game where you and 3 other players meet up in a hub world (the citadel?) and take on various missions in the Mass Effect universe.

#95 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17971 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

I couldn't care less about CoD multiplayer so I guess this won't be for me. Mass Effect 3 please!

#96 revlob

revlob
  • Tech Team
  • 12047 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

Could be awesome if done right, Im hoping for a Phantasy Star Online type game where you and 3 other players meet up in a hub world (the citadel?) and take on various missions in the Mass Effect universe.

Let's not kid ourselves, now. It's not going to be anything like that at all. This is going to be a straight up Citadel of Duty: Spectre Ops. Extensive multiplayer component with RPG elements, 3-hour singleplayer campaign.

#97 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6059 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

I'd love it to be something more in the PSO/Monster Hunter vein. I already have more competitive multiplayer games than I know what to do with, but how many online cooperative games are there that don't revolve around shooting zombies?

If it is a straight competitive shooter it'll need to be one of the best ever made in order to be a real success, which strikes me as something of a fool's errand when there's other markets to tap.

#98 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6914 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

3Vs3 death match/objective type games with all the classes and abilities from ME2 could be fun. A nightmare to balance I'd imagine but could make for some interesting fights if you get it right, so teams really have to work together and mix up the classes, not just 3Vs3 all Infiltrators.

#99 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17647 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

Yawn if it's a multiplayer shooter, there's a fucking gazillion of them, and not many RPGs, and it's not like Bioware's going to get a chance to use their strong suits (dialogue, story) in a deathmatch.

#100 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3771 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

I used to do that too.

Unitl this.

Posted Image

(shudder)

let me rephrase, 'a bioware game (originating in canada)'

#101 revlob

revlob
  • Tech Team
  • 12047 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

No items.

Garrus only.

Citadel Station.

#102 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3771 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

Phoenix Wright Vs Garrus

#103 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36881 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

The Mass Effect universe is ripe for expansion, a multiplayer spinoff would be ok with me. Bring on the announcement.

#104 Space Renegade Ulala

Space Renegade Ulala
  • Members
  • 15467 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

I honestly thought that the classes revamp in the second game lent itself quite nicely to some kind of multiplayer balance so this isn't surprising at all. Plus it keeps it all to another title entirely so ME3 should avoid being diluted by such concerns and can be focused purely on a single player experience.

It's all about a Vanguard charging up across a map to smash an Adept in the face while an Infiltrator calmly and cooly snipes the shit out of them only for a Solider to burst in behind and riddle them with shots from a Mattock.

#105 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17647 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

I honestly thought that the classes revamp in the second game lent itself quite nicely to some kind of multiplayer balance so this isn't surprising at all. Plus it keeps it all to another title entirely so ME3 should avoid being diluted by such concerns and can be focused purely on a single player experience.

It's all about a Vanguard charging up across a map to smash an Adept in the face while an Infiltrator calmly and cooly snipes the shit out of them only for a Solider to burst in behind and riddle them with shots from a Mattock.

Yeah but if Bioware are making it it's still development resources spent making a game that doesn't play to their strengths that could be spent making another awesome RPG.

If you're going to make an FPS in the ME Universe outsource it to one of the bazillion FPS devs who could do a better job. I don't want to see one of the few developers of WRPGs become yet another game making Call of Duty clones.

Anyway, this is all speculation, so I'll wait until Sunday.

#106 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6914 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Yeah but if Bioware are making it it's still development resources spent making a game that doesn't play to their strengths that could be spent making another awesome RPG.

But by the looks it will be BioWare Montreal handling the game, which is a new studio being built up with new staff so shouldn't take anything away from those making ME3. Plus much better have it this way than trying to get them put multiplayer into ME3.

#107 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106727 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

what if bioware used ex-infinity ward staffers?

#108 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9251 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

what if bioware used ex-infinity ward staffers?

I assume they would all have followed their founder bros to Respawn Entertainment after they quit IW, not gone elsewhere.

Manveer Heir (Raven software) joined BioWare Montreal in June, he's the most likely candidate for the person who's behind this:

I'm excited to announce that I will be joining BioWare Montreal to help work on the Mass Effect franchise. Can't wait to start!

Looks like the future is the new modern warfare setting, they're starting to pile in.

#109 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36881 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

I followed him on twitter before I killed my account, he was quite cool.

#110 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3771 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

http://www.escapistm...ps-Another-Hint

BioWare has let slip another hint about its secret new project and this one leads somewhere that you probably weren't expecting.

BioWare let it be known a couple of days ago that it had a new, unannounced game in the works that it will reveal to the world next month during the Spike Video Game Awards. To give us all something to do while we wait, the studio also dropped a few hints - extremely vague hints - in the form of an uninformative picture of a close-cropped man with a big gun and a few 2D bar codes, which we have officially dubbed "bridgets," and which translated into numbers that appeared related to Mass Effect.

Now another bridget has appeared on BioWare's Facebook page, this one translating into a large binary string which converts into a URL for the British Secret Intelligence Service. They're the James Bond guys, sometimes known as MI6.

What does it mean? Maybe the new project is an Alpha Protocol-style game about British spies. Maybe BioWare is opening a new studio in the U.K. Maybe British Intelligence is tired of watching the Spectres make a mess of things and they're getting ready to step in and show them how it's done.

Or maybe... maybe it's something else entirely.

It's time to put our heads together on this, people. We need to think this out. We need options! The obvious choice is obvious - a spy game - but with more than three weeks to go before the big reveal, would BioWare really tip its hand so, well, obviously? The first clue was the atomic mass of iron; the second was the coldest recorded temperature on Earth, taken at Vostok, which is also the name of a system in Mass Effect; but now, we're pointed at the Secret Intelligence Services. What does it mean? How do these pieces all fit together?

And do you still think it's Mass Effect 3?

#111 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:26 AM

Might be fake, but Sony Russia appear to have let the 'cat out of the bag' by posting this on their twitter page...

Sony Russia seems to have spilled it all. Mass Effect 3 announcement at VGA and itís coming to the PS3 too. their official twitter account has posted a tweet announcing that the image teased by Bioware is of ME 3 and it will be coming to the PS3.

Posted Image

Their official twitter account has posted a tweet announcing that the image teased by Bioware is of ME 3 and it will be coming to the PS3.

As I said, it might be fake but I really, really hope it isn't. I'm about ready to end the fight, hopefully they'll also announce some more ME2 DLC to make the wait a little more bearable. :D

#112 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41649 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

Oh, that would be hilarious.

#113 Elliott

Elliott
  • Members
  • 1958 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

If it's anything even related to the cold war kind of era then the Russians spilling incorrect information could be part of a massive marketing device.

#114 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17647 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

If it's Mass Effect 3, isn't it a bit odd that the Mass Effect franchise is effectively switching development teams?

I kind of want it to be an espionage RPG, purely because oh god the Alpha Protocol drama

#115 Space Renegade Ulala

Space Renegade Ulala
  • Members
  • 15467 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, I hope it's a spy game that sells billions purely because it will piss off all the miserable little shits in the Something Awful Dragon Age 2 thread so very, very bad.

#116 Vaya.

Vaya.
  • Members
  • 3590 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

I want more mass effect...but not mass effect 3 from another team...I;d be devastated if 3 wasn't up to 1 and 2's standard because bioware had phoned it in.

#117 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36881 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:53 PM

There is no way in the world they'll but the B-team on Mass Effect 3. Simply no way. That's crazy talk.

It'll be some wacky spy thing that has nothing to do with Mass Effect.

#118 Snowman

Snowman
  • Members
  • 3680 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

That seems a bit unlikely given that screenshot of the soldier carrying a Mass Effect rifle.

#119 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6914 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

There was another code in the latest trailer for the awards that lead you here. No idea what it means, be fantastic if it was MDK3 but no chance, would love to see another MDK at some point though.

#120 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36881 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

That seems a bit unlikely given that screenshot of the soldier carrying a Mass Effect rifle.

Yeah, nothing to do with the artists sharing assets or anything :D

I'm not saying it isn't Mass Effect 3. But a Mass Effect 3 featuring the British secret service and tower bridge being developed by the Bioware B-team seems a bit of a stretch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG, 360, PS3, PC, Kinect

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users