PS3 360

• Please log in to reply
1118 replies to this topic

#991 shock33

shock33
  • Members
  • 4876 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'll probably add the names in here this afternoon (I keep seeing a few as suggestions in ridernet), if anyone does want to add me my gamertag is shock33

#992 Yartek

Yartek
  • Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Finally got this today, loving it so far, even when I cock things up I'm still enjoying myself. Will read back a few pages and add some people as my rival list consists of one perosn right now. :)

#993 shock33

shock33
  • Members
  • 4876 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Cannot BELIEVE they put the 2 million trick it drop on Rolling Thunder again, I nearly had a meltdown last time getting a platinum score!

#994 Chewylegs

Chewylegs
  • Members
  • 4281 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

You know what, I think I might have mentioned this, but I love this game!

The rider net is awesome, my only problem is that cause I don't get to play it that much, in having to be picky on what high scores I try to beat- usually Karzee's! I'm even having fun on world tour, dipping in and out of it from time to time. I'm not finding it that difficult, a little frustrating, but the story line is corny as fuck!
My only complaints so far of this game is the oxygen tank is just plain stupid and the survival tracks are almost a 'bundle your way down, your get there in the end' type affair. My main gripe is how the game tries to get you onto rails too much, almost like you home in on them, which is bloody frustrating when you are trying to beat a time; set by one of your friends, by just tenths of seconds.

#995 GazEFC

GazEFC
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think the only problem with ridernet is that you'll have a run and think you've done really well, then when the results come up you find out bradigor is a mile ahead of you.

#996 Chewylegs

Chewylegs
  • Members
  • 4281 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Ha ha haaaa!!!

There are a few that are miles ahead of me!!

#997 Chewylegs

Chewylegs
  • Members
  • 4281 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

This games just gone to a new level....custom soundtracks!!!

I like a lot of the SSX music though, shame you can't mix it with your own!

#998 bradigor

bradigor
  • Members
  • 18506 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Not looked at my badges for a while. Nice to see I got 100% of the TRICKY ones and close to 100% for a few more :)

#999 PhilG

PhilG
  • Members
  • 3085 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Do people use the mods when playing? It's one of the things I don't like about this version of SSX, because it potentially creates an uneven playing field (if they actually have any meaningful effect). You ought to be able to see what combination of gear/mods people have used to set their times/scores. I mostly just use the same set-up, unless I need a special item of gear (such as the wingsuit) and no mods, and only really thought about it for the first time today. Seems like another "me too!" design decision that really doesn't have a place in this type of game.

#1000 smithstock

smithstock
  • Members
  • 5191 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I don't use the mods but similar opinions are said about SF gems. They give you a boost!

The best players + the best mods = the best scores. With time invested then that is fair to me.

Just because you use mods doesn't mean you are cheating to get high scores. Obviously there is still alot of skill involved. Similarly poorer players would be able to compete on a level playing field with the boost of a mod.

#1001 shock33

shock33
  • Members
  • 4876 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hmm, I sometimes use trick mods in the onine drops, but not that often. Does it stack if you use 2 mods of the same type?

#1002 Karzee

Karzee
  • Members
  • 8210 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Do people use the mods when playing? It's one of the things I don't like about this version of SSX, because it potentially creates an uneven playing field (if they actually have any meaningful effect). You ought to be able to see what combination of gear/mods people have used to set their times/scores. I mostly just use the same set-up, unless I need a special item of gear (such as the wingsuit) and no mods, and only really thought about it for the first time today. Seems like another "me too!" design decision that really doesn't have a place in this type of game.

In Global events I tend to use Mods because I'm assuming everyone else is. In Explore mode I don't tend to unless I've tried to someone's time/score over and over without success. I haven't found them especially useful at this stage, finding I can beat someone by generally having a better run, i.e. a faster route, more jumps, more varied tricks etc. I think it's only when people have really nailed down the best route and the scores/times become fractional between players that I see mods actually making some difference.

If you promise not to play this game for a couple of weeks then I promise I won't attack any more of your scores. How about it?

It's actually revenge for a particular skeet-shooting incident in Blur a couple of years ago :)

You weren't kidding were you. I've just come back after a few days away and seen that you're ahead on EIGHTY challenges!

Bastard!

#1003 JonnyLaurence

JonnyLaurence
  • Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Meh heh heh! Although I haven't actually beaten that many of your scores, since I was just concentrating on getting a medal in every single event.

I've gotta say that some of the courses in Patagonia and Africa are really shit. I wondered why nobody had set any records on them.

#1004 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2120 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have this now. Hurray.

Question: Where does the longevity come in? Do I _have_ to 1. find a spare network cable and space in the router and 2. buy a gold sub to get some online competition going to make it last? My benchmark is SSX3 where I spent all the time in the world getting platinums and freestyling down the mountain.

This is a genuine question, I haven't really played enough to find out the answer yet.

Oh and changing outfits. Little disappointed that they're only colour changes :< I'm sure someone in this very thread assured me otherwise aeons ago, but I could be mistaken.

#1005 PhilG

PhilG
  • Members
  • 3085 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't use the mods but similar opinions are said about SF gems. They give you a boost!

The best players + the best mods = the best scores. With time invested then that is fair to me.

Just because you use mods doesn't mean you are cheating to get high scores. Obviously there is still alot of skill involved. Similarly poorer players would be able to compete on a level playing field with the boost of a mod.

I don't see them as cheating. I just don't know if they have any meaningful effect on the times or scores that get posted. As I said, it would be nice if RiderNet showed you the character/gear/mods that people had used for their placing. When I look at the gear stats and it says something like +30 speed, what does that actually mean in real terms? Does it mean that I travel 1mph faster on that board? 10mph?

I don't care about the stats/perks nonsense, I just want to play, getting the best line or combo, but if I'm not going to beat someone's time because they're using Speed and Boost mods, and using a 2,000,000 credit board, then it'd be nice to know!

#1006 JonnyLaurence

JonnyLaurence
  • Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I have this now. Hurray.

Question: Where does the longevity come in? Do I _have_ to 1. find a spare network cable and space in the router and 2. buy a gold sub to get some online competition going to make it last? My benchmark is SSX3 where I spent all the time in the world getting platinums and freestyling down the mountain.

This is a genuine question, I haven't really played enough to find out the answer yet.

Oh and changing outfits. Little disappointed that they're only colour changes :< I'm sure someone in this very thread assured me otherwise aeons ago, but I could be mistaken.

Well, there are 150+ events in Explore mode to get gold medals in, but without taking it online that's your lot. It's definitely worth getting online though, since the game is pretty much built around it. I don't *think* you'll need a gold sub, since there's no traditional simultaneous multiplayer - it's all about racing ghosts, beating records, and ranking against thousands of other players in timed global events.

Also, some of the outfits do affect your stats, but they're a little more rare. Keep checking the shop!

#1007 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2120 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Well, there are 150+ events in Explore mode to get gold medals in, but without taking it online that's your lot. It's definitely worth getting online though, since the game is pretty much built around it. I don't *think* you'll need a gold sub, since there's no traditional simultaneous multiplayer - it's all about racing ghosts, beating records, and ranking against thousands of other players in timed global events.

Also, some of the outfits do affect your stats, but they're a little more rare. Keep checking the shop!

#1008 Chewylegs

Chewylegs
  • Members
  • 4281 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Is it wrong that I've been downloading SSX tracks off iTunes to add to my own playlist to play SSX?
There are some wicked tunes on this game but not enough to make a tracklist alone. They are now added along with the likes of Beastie Boys Sureshot and Intergalactic, plus The Prodigys Smack my bitch up! :)

I've noticed some of my friends list with over 100 challenges done already......I really don't get the time to play enough. :(

#1009 Karzee

Karzee
  • Members
  • 8210 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

I kept whittling down the songs until I realised I was down to a third. Not my favourite type of music this. I've now switched to a soundtrack from Tony Hawks games and it's far better suited as far as I'm concerned.

I'm slowly making my way through all the runs and have done 117 out of 159. Then the real challenge begins and I'll be going back over them all again trying to beat people's scores/times.

#1010 Chewylegs

Chewylegs
  • Members
  • 4281 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

A tony hawk sound track on this would be superb! :-)

I just need rip more tracks to my Xbox, I only have 37!

#1011 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65322 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

As long term SSX fans, we booted this up for the first time tonight.

After about three hours of play we came to the conclusion they absolutely murdered and raped the franchise, and everybody in this thread who loves it is an accessory to the crime.

Terrible game. Gutted. If it wasn't 'just' a videogame, I could almost cry.

#1012 Boutros

Boutros
  • Members
  • 3889 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I was looking forward to this one... Really looking forward... I was totally convinced they wouldn't botch up such a brilliant franchise...

Just played it for three hours straight... And guess what... They did...

#1013 DoctorEgo

DoctorEgo
  • Members
  • 2012 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Step away from the World Tour mode.
Seriously.

STEP AWAY FROM THE WORLD TOUR MODE.

The rest of the game is actually rather good.

#1014 PhilG

PhilG
  • Members
  • 3085 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

After about three hours of play we came to the conclusion they absolutely murdered and raped the franchise, and everybody in this thread who loves it is an accessory to the crime.

I've certainly lost the initial love I had for it as I've progressed through the various regions (Explore mode, I stopped playing World Tour after enduring the 'Ice' Deadly Descent). These comments from the Edge review nail how I feel about it:

...stages that are too unpredictable to conquer first time out the gate and too sprawling to memorise. All too often, you’ll plunge unavoidably to your death and be forced to rewind with icy-grave-given hindsight. It neuters the thrill of reading the slopes, of feeling your way along the ridges and speedily changing your tack on the fly. It gives the track designers an excuse to be cruel, too, where previous games were kind and offered plentiful opportunities to pick your mark and grind it.

I'd replace "conquer" with "enjoy", however.

What I loved about Tricky was the way you'd play a track, and start to note the potential shortcuts, lines and so on. Next run you'd try one out, see what effect it would make to your time, note another rail or tunnel along that new line and so on, until after a few hours and multiple runs you'd have found all the various paths, and then you'd start putting them together to get the fastest times or highest scores. The new game is riddled with drops into oblivion that spoil the flow of many of the tracks (especially after you've played the Rockies and moved onto Africa, Patagonia, New Zealand grrrr!!) and it feels far less about exploration, and more about trying to avoid falling down holes. There seem to be far less distinct paths, and far more really wide open areas that you just try to find the safest/fastest route down.

It's like making your way down a six lane motorway riddled with holes versus getting from A to B via a variety of different roads.

Pretty much only playing the Explore mode, and I can see from my friends' activity on many of the mountains that there are lots of drops no-one plays.

#1015 df0

df0
  • Members
  • 7448 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Do what I did and buy SSX 4 (or whatever it is called) from the PSN Store for 10 euro.

#1016 Chewylegs

Chewylegs
  • Members
  • 4281 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

What I loved about Tricky was the way you'd play a track, and start to note the potential shortcuts, lines and so on. Next run you'd try one out, see what effect it would make to your time, note another rail or tunnel along that new line and so on, until after a few hours and multiple runs you'd have found all the various paths, and then you'd start putting them together to get the fastest times or highest scores.

see, the new SSX to me is just that, i've played a level over and over again to find the fastest routes, miss those bumps and rocks that mean the difference between beating your top friends score or losing by split seconds!

The new game is riddled with drops into oblivion that spoil the flow of many of the tracks (especially after you've played the Rockies and moved onto Africa, Patagonia, New Zealand grrrr!!) and it feels far less about exploration, and more about trying to avoid falling down holes. There seem to be far less distinct paths, and far more really wide open areas that you just try to find the safest/fastest route down.

I partly agree with the drops into oblivion, but on a lot of the tracks this is only relevant until you learn the tracks. Granted some tracks arent fun, but hey, a lot of games have parts that arent fun, doesnt make it a shit game, just dont play those tracks.
I love the open bits, probably because im a snowboarder and it gives me space to carve the slopes up.
You know what is well, it aint Tricky, Tricky was great, I loved it, but I dont want the same game again just next-genned up!

On another note, I played this on my new 40inch tv last night (26inch before), oh my word, it looks amazing!! i love the crystals of snow, the way the snow carves and the sense of vastness and steepness you get off some of the drops! :-)

#1017 Chewylegs

Chewylegs
  • Members
  • 4281 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Wow, OTT no?

#1018 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27788 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Yup, while there's a good core to be experienced underneath, all the rubbish added on top causes death by a thousand cuts. Explore mode or not, I've given up playing this and am now happily ploughing down Peak 3 and its brothers again with a good ol' Dual Shock 2. I've crushed a few old records while I'm at it. Will probably trade this one in for Kid Icarus next week.

#1019 Varnsen

Varnsen
  • Members
  • 1283 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Yup, while there's a good core to be experienced underneath, all the rubbish added on top causes death by a thousand cuts. Explore mode or not, I've given up playing this and am now happily ploughing down Peak 3 and its brothers again with a good ol' Dual Shock 2. I've crushed a few old records while I'm at it. Will probably trade this one in for Kid Icarus next week.

can you get SSX 3 on PSN? or are you playing it on PS2?

I'm another one who doesn't like the new SSX at all. Disappointed.

#1020 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65322 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Wow, OTT no?

Well, obviously a little drama was added, but I'm genuinely pissed off they butchered one of my favourite franchises of all time and one of my most wanted games of 2012.

It's just not SSX, even if it says so on the screen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS3, 360

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users