PS3 360

• Please log in to reply
1118 replies to this topic

#1 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27877 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

Speculation is rampant that a new game in the SSX series is in the works after internet sleuths spotted EA- registered domains relating to the arcade snowboarding franchise.

EA registered five new SSX-related domain names (all spotted by superannuation), which suggest a game called SSX: Deadly Descent exists somewhere deep within the confines of the mega publisher.

One domain registered is for something called SSX First Descent – could that be a handheld and/or Wii version?

The last game in the series, SSX Blur, disappointed. Tom awarded it 6/10 for Eurogamer.

We'll have a chinwag with EA and see what's what.

http://www.eurogamer...ers-ssx-domains

I'm very afraid this'll turn out to be just for a mobile game of sorts. Posted Image

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • Members
  • 17919 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

I'd love to see a proper new SSX game. Fingers crossed.

#3 petrolgirls

petrolgirls
  • Members
  • 7871 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

Blur wasn't great but a return to form would be welcome. Only game to scratch that itch for me this gen has been Pure.

#4 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27877 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

If this turns out to be a Kinect game, I'll cry.

Which reminds me... I still need to try Stoked.

#5 Vaya.

Vaya.
  • Members
  • 3590 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

If this turns out to be a Kinect game, I'll cry.

Which reminds me... I still need to try Stoked.

stoked is okay as far as a pure snowboarding game goes. Sadly probably the best this gen.

#6 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2805 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

Would love to see another SSX also...

As much as I liked Skate, I really crave the pure arcade pick up and play of SSX 2

#7 fattakin

fattakin
  • Members
  • 4001 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Another one waiting for a decent SSX / SSX Tricky game here.
Its the only game my wife loved to bits (and was better at than me)

C'mon EA, lets get fattakins Living room rocking again! KAAAOOOIIIRRRRIIIIIII

#8 000

• Members
  • 15013 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

But I wanted a new Cool Boarders :(

#9 Charles

Charles
  • Supporters
  • 5904 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

What happened to the Amped franchise? Was that put to sleep after the lackluster third installment? I absolutely loved the first one.

#10 carlito

carlito
  • Members
  • 5275 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

I have been waiting for this day for so long.

Please give me another relaxing gaming womb like you gave me with an All Peak freeride in SSX 3.

#11 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66484 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

SSX On Tour and SSX Blur were terrible, so I'm not holding my breath unless they do a complete reboot and return to the roots of what made the original and Tricky (and to a lesser extend SSX3) so great.

#12 Vaya.

Vaya.
  • Members
  • 3590 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

What happened to the Amped franchise? Was that put to sleep after the lackluster third installment? I absolutely loved the first one.

Amped 2 is still probably my favourite snowboarding game. It's not perfect but it nails the feel.

ssx isn't nearly as good as a snowboarding game but it's a good series.

#13 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27877 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

I just want SSX to keep the Unirally torch burning. God knows Rockstar doesn't care about it any more.

#14 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9319 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Is this in preparation for Criterion to reveal that other game they have in the works not called NFS, their name has been attached to this rumoured game for a while now.

Amped seems to be dead, Microsoft sold it off to Take Two and they closed the developer ages ago.

#15 amanset

amanset
  • Members
  • 10741 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

I'd love to see a proper new SSX game. Fingers crossed.

What he said x100. However, more fun as in the original SSX, over the top like the ones that came just after that or more sim-like like SSX4?

I think as close to the first one in feel as possible.

I may have meant SSX3 there. In fact, I have totally forgotten.

#16 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66484 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

I want the over the top SSX Tricky stuff with crazy courses, good pumping electronic music, fireworks, wiseass characters and Rahzel voice-overs. SSX3 had its charms (mainly that you could do the entire mountain thing) but wasn't overflowing with joy like the two games that came before.

#17 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

I want the over the top SSX Tricky stuff with crazy courses, good pumping electronic music, fireworks, wiseass characters and Rahzel voice-overs.

A man after my own soul. If it's not Tricky-style, I'm not interested

#18 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27877 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

Sorry, but I never enjoyed Tricky as much. I'm much more dedicated to SSX3 and would kill for a proper sequel to that.

#19 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2805 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Yep tricky for me also please

#20 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 12590 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

SSX3 HD remake please. With a few extra additions of course. Pinnacle of arcade gaming that was.

#21 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • Members
  • 17919 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

Just to throw a spanner in the works I like the original the best.

#22 Philly

Philly
  • Members
  • 2915 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

I want a really arcadey timetrialy hoverboard racer.

Ridge Racer + JSR + Waverace = Joy.

#23 Fatsam

Fatsam
  • Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

good for you!

And I'm probably in a minority of one, but I liked SSX Blur best.

Best use of nunchuck on the Wii, combing the stick and tilt functions for lovely board carving down the slopes.

And making shapes in the air for ubers was some beautiful hardcore waggle shit. That was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in gaming pulling those off.

I'm crossing my fingers that this has some nice waggle too.

#24 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27877 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

Electronic Arts hasn't released a console game in its once-great snowboarding and skiing series SSX since 2007's SSX Blur for the Wii. But from what we've heard out of the Great White North, a new SSX is well underway.

EA Canada has been working on a new SSX entry for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 for the past two years, according to a source familiar with development of the game. The next SSX, that source claims, will take the game "back to its roots," but feature controls similar to EA's Skate franchise, using a controller's right analog stick to perform tricks. Development of the game is said to be handled by much of the Skate team.

Electronic Arts registered new web site domains for the SSX franchise earlier this year, indicating that the title of that game could be SSX Deadly Descent or SSX First Descent.

Before that, online surveys were distributed targeted at fans of the SSX series that might tell us more about that game. While much of the survey (and the above artwork) distributed this summer said it "illustrates how the game might look and feel," it appeared that some features weren't final.

But the unnamed snowboarding game was described in the survey as "an intense, moment-to-moment battle against the forces created from riding your snowboard over the most spectacular and remote mountains on Earth." Gameplay involved "avoiding, out-running and even riding on top of massive avalanches; battling hurricane winds; white-outs; bitter cold; falling rocks; and gaping crevasses that open up at a moment's notice."

New and proposed features included the ability to "take part in helicopter drops and rescues, base-jumping, wingsuit/squirrel-suit flying, skyboarding, para-skiing, ice-climbing and more."

Could the new SSX game be the game teased as "The Planet" in anticipation of the Spike TV Video Game Awards, set to air later this week? Conventional wisdom pointed to that teaser as a Battlefield related, but its style and snowy substance could fit the snowboarding game surveyed earlier this year.

Consider these SSX tidbits rumor for now and the aforementioned survey may not officially be tied to SSX development, but pray for snow this weekend when the Spike VGAs air—hopefully with more clear information.

http://kotaku.com/5708624/the-next-ssx-what-weve-heard-so-far

I'm not sure I'd like a Skate (or rather Amped) approach to the controls to be honest. The 'extra' features also sound a bit too much like 'not snowboarding'. We'll see what happens, but I really hope these are just rumours.

#25 Yoshimax

Yoshimax
  • Supporters
  • 8089 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

It was well ahead of the curve - I concur.

That with online multiplayer and updated HDness would be amazing.

#26 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41694 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

Amazing news. Whatever dev they've got on it, theres one very important assest - gameplay aside...

They NEED to be working with DICE for their enviroment.

I'm not sure i like all those silly variables though.

The roots of SSX are, like NFS, about (virtigo enducing) exhileration. IMO Thats it. Thats all they need.

#27 fattakin

fattakin
  • Members
  • 4001 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

back to the roots should be about twisty courses with alternative routes.

Didnt you use the right stick anyway for tricks? (and the shoulder buttons)

Shame it wasn't out for Christmas, fools!

Are any of the xbox1 SSX games backward compatible?

#28 Dudley

Dudley
  • Supporters
  • 17830 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

back to the roots should be about twisty courses with alternative routes.

Didnt you use the right stick anyway for tricks? (and the shoulder buttons)

Shame it wasn't out for Christmas, fools!

Are any of the xbox1 SSX games backward compatible?

Forward compatible surely?

But yes, SSX3 is.

#29 smint

smint
  • Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

How do you reckon the gameplay will incorporate "bitter cold"?

Some sort of frostbite-inducing peripheral perhaps?!

#30 Mars

Mars
  • Supporters
  • 14158 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

:OMG:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS3, 360

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users