100 replies to this topic

#1 gerald.d

gerald.d
  • Members
  • 9447 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

http://www.engadget....ystation-phone/

Posted Image

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

#2 deerokus

deerokus
  • Members
  • 11200 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:12 AM

Looks nice - strangely similar to the x10 mini pro, actually. Not too sure about the pad and buttons though, they look really shallow.

#3 GViper

GViper
  • Members
  • 6241 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:44 AM

Looks nice - strangely similar to the x10 mini pro, actually. Not too sure about the pad and buttons though, they look really shallow.

Indeed, something the first PSP really suffered from. I can't see this being a real dedicated games machine though, surely it's just not powerful enough for anything serious?

#4 000

• Members
  • 14891 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:50 AM

I like the idea a lot. I think a decent PlayStation-brand phone optimised for gaming will appeal to a lot of people, although it does depend on price and games.

Sony will have to convince developers to develop full-priced full-featured games for the platform, but I'm not convinced that this is a big problem if Sony are planning to give it their full backing. It's a bit of a shame it won't be able to run PSP games; if it could, it would be a total no-brainer.

#5 000

• Members
  • 14891 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:54 AM

I can't see this being a real dedicated games machine though, surely it's just not powerful enough for anything serious?

It'll probably be quite a bit more powerful than the DS, but worse than the PSP.

#6 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51165 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

I can't see this being a real dedicated games machine though, surely it's just not powerful enough for anything serious?

Depends. A 1GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM is a good start, and I imagine there's a half-decent 3D accelerator. However there's the question of how much of that you lose to Android, in both OS overheads and programming.

#7 000

• Members
  • 14891 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

However there's the question of how much of that you lose to Android, in both OS overheads and programming.

Surely Sony could conceivably separate the PlayStation side from Android, leaving virtually no overhead while playing games?

#8 angel

angel
  • Members
  • 30115 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

I bet Sony miss the point entirely, and charge 29.99 for the games. There wont be any 59p bargains thats for sure, it's got failed experiment written all over it.

#9 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51165 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

Surely Sony could conceivably separate the PlayStation side from Android, leaving virtually no overhead while playing games?

I think users would expect to be able to get messages, calls etc. coming through during games, and when you have that there's an expectation that other background apps (mail, messager, etc.) would also work. I don't think a "game mode" where you basically turn the phone part off would work.

#10 Sng

Sng
  • Members
  • 68427 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

It's called airplane mode! People use it quite a lot and not just on airplanes!

Is this image actually confirmed? I'm surprised they'd do this so close to the PSP2. Assuming the PSP2 is happening!

I also don't like the look, looks very dated. Like an Xperia and they already looked late-90s.

#11 PC Master Race

PC Master Race
  • Supporters
  • 23238 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

It'll probably be quite a bit more powerful than the DS, but worse than the PSP.

I'd imagine it will easily out perform the PSP. Given the PSP uses an ageing CPU and GPU designed from the early part of the last decade. Look at what the iPad/iPhone4 is capable of.

#12 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51165 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

Is this image actually confirmed? I'm surprised they'd do this so close to the PSP2. Assuming the PSP2 is happening!

I also don't like the look, looks very dated. Like an Xperia and they already looked late-90s.

It's a prototype, apparently. The touchpad is interesting, because the PSP2 supposedly has one as well... on the back. Curious that the PSP Phone is getting dual touch nubs, maybe it means the PSP2 is getting hardware dual analogues?

#13 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27785 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

I bet Sony miss the point entirely, and charge 29.99 for the games. There wont be any 59p bargains thats for sure, it's got failed experiment written all over it.

Yes, because they'll conveniently forget all about their back catalogue of Minis they've been building up for over a year now. :Coffee:

Are the 'spots' already confirmed as touch-pad analog sticks?

#14 Super Craig

Super Craig
  • Members
  • 11905 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

If they're going ahead with a phone, I think the PSP2 will be the iPod Touch to accompany it for people who don't need a new phone.

#15 suzzopher

suzzopher
  • Members
  • 1826 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

It's a fake

#16 Pistol

Pistol
  • Members
  • 8569 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

Egg on Engadget's face, then.

#17 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51165 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

It's a fake

Aside from the Sony statement, they cite "A" and "B" buttons for forward and back as a reason for its fake-ness, but... really, if you were going to fake a PS phone interface, why would you put A and B buttons in it? It's not an Android thing, is it? It's certainly not a PlayStation thing.

#18 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 106322 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

It's a fake

no shit...

coffee.gif

#19 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27785 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

It's a fake

Except that Sony hasn't debunked it outright?

We'll see what happens, but that article is about as clueless as the rest of us.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has since confirmed its official line on the rumoured phone as, "We do not comment on rumour and speculation."
However, NowGamer still understands that the images are indeed fake.

So no confirmation then on either side of the fence.

#20 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27785 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

Aside from the Sony statement, they cite "A" and "B" buttons for forward and back as a reason for its fake-ness, but... really, if you were going to fake a PS phone interface, why would you put A and B buttons in it? It's not an Android thing, is it? It's certainly not a PlayStation thing.

Might be the two touch-pad zones. (Though that's slightly odd in a way.)

#21 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51165 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Dirt on the screen is hardly evidence that it's a fake, or as they claim, a mock-up image, either.

#22 dayte

dayte
  • Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

If they decide to use the XMB I will burn it with fire

#23 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27785 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

If they decide to not use the XMB I will burn it with fire

Fixed.

I still vastly prefer the XMB to the Wii and X360 dashboards. But God help us if Microsoft ever starts to make a game pho-...
Oh.

[edit] And it seems I was right to some degree:

Update: NowGamer, the website responsible for the original report, has pulled the Sony-attributed comment stating that the pictures were "definitely fake".

The website now tows the standard line Eurogamer heard earlier today: that Sony doesn't comment on "rumour and speculation".

#24 000

• Members
  • 14891 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:40 AM

Another prototype has appeared online, with Playstation Pocket branding.

Reading back in the thread, I'm not sure if I agree with myself anymore. :unsure:

#25 Broker

Broker
  • Members
  • 13118 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

I wonder if this will get hacked to death? Is the PSPgo hacked yet?

#26 Liamness

Liamness
  • Supporters
  • 11589 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

What chance do we reckon there will be that this could basically be an app store, marketed in conjunction with a 'baseline' device? Presumably other high-performance devices would run the games fine, after all they would all be handicapped by running Android in the background. If Sony choose to switch off android when you run a game, then all the phone stuff stops and many would find that unacceptable. IMO the Playstation brand and Sony's quality control, exercised as it would on any other platform, could result in a 'premium' feel to the store. As far as I'm aware though, every major app store that has existed has had its DRM cracked. I'm not sure exactly what this product is, or how they plan to make it financially viable.

#27 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

:o

I'm tempted to pick one up just so I can play RE2 on the go. :OMG:

#28 Jimmyzilla

Jimmyzilla
  • Members
  • 6764 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

I posted about this in the PSP thread

Anyways, what do people think about the news on the PSP phone or "Xperia Play"? I think it looks nice and I would be tempted but the PSP is 6 years old already and it's probably going to come with a fairly high price tag...the more I think about it the more I realise it seems a bit too late...all of the articles say how the processor and everything's an upgrade from the Go but the specs are just run of the mill for smart phones these days, perhaps even a little low compared to other phones coming out in the near future.

I think the only thing it has going for it is the dpad and buttons but they don't look that good anyway...

#29 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51165 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Teardown by Mr. Jaundice.

Synaptics touchpad for the analogue panel, there's a look at the battery but I can't read the capacity. Probably a standard 1500mAh or less.

#30 murray

murray
  • Members
  • 20452 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Incredibly, this thing has been previewed on Engadget already, beating the official unveiling on Friday by two whole days.

Posted Image

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play preview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users