The Alan Partridge Thread

• Please log in to reply
906 replies to this topic

#571 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19271 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Partridge is moving to Sky Atlantic with two one-hour specials and a TV adaptation of Mid Morning Matters.

From The Guardian:

Steve Coogan moves character from BBC for two one-hour specials and TV adaptation of online series Mid Morning Matters

A-ha! His BBC television career famously came to an end when he thrust a lump of cheese in his commissioning editor's face. Now Steve Coogan's most famous creation, hapless Norfolk DJ Alan Partridge, is changing channels to Sky.

Coogan will star as Partridge in two new one-hour specials as well as a TV adaptation of his online series, Mid Morning Matters. The shows will appear on Sky Atlantic as part of an output deal with Coogan's production company, Baby Cow.

The BBC has been the home of Partridge since he started out reading the sports news on BBC Radio 4's On The Hour. The last series of I'm Alan Partridge aired on BBC2 in 2002.

Coogan's Sky Atlantic deal also includes Welcome to the Places of my Life, which will see Partridge take viewers on a tour of his beloved home county, Norfolk. A second Partridge special will feature the DJ being interviewed for a local book club by author Chris Beal, played by Robert Popper.

The specials will be executive produced by Coogan with his Baby Cow business partner Henry Normal and The Thick of It creator Armando Iannucci, who is also involved in bringing Partridge to the big screen in a long-awaited film version next year.

Coogan said: "Alan has been off the TV for too long but he is even more excited than me about his chance to have a second bite of the cherry. Alan feels the second decade of the millennium is the right time."

Mid Morning Matters, which aired online last year in an initiative funded by beer brand Foster's, will be re-edited for TV in a six-part "special edition" with a second series next year. Partridge published his "autobiography" last year.

The Baby Cow deal also includes an animated children's tale, Uncle Wormsley's Christmas, narrated by Coogan, and a two-part look at Coogan's 2009 standup tour in Australia and New Zealand.

A high-profile victim of phone-hacking, Coogan's more recent television appearances have been connected to his legal action against News International, publisher of the now-defunct News of the World, which he settled earlier this year.

Sky, not previously known for its homegrown comedy output, has been investing heavily in the genre of late with shows such as Stella with former Gavin & Stacey star Ruth Jones, and Trollied starring Jane Horrocks. Other new projects will star Kathy Burke, Julia Davis and Jack Dee.

Sky's head of comedy Lucy Lumsden said Sky Atlantic was "providing our best writer performers the space to feel creatively free".

Launched last year, Sky Atlantic is home to the satellite broadcaster's high profile US dramas including Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men, for which it bought the rights after four series on BBC4.

The pay channel will also air West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin's latest drama, The Newsroom, as well as Iannucci's US comedy, Veep.

Normal, who is chief executive of Baby Cow, said the company was "at the beginning of a great adventure".

#572 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 40169 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Bah, just as I ditched Sky as well.

#573 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb
  • Members
  • 10278 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Sky Atlantic? As in the Sky channel which shows, pretty much exclusively, stuff from across the Atlantic? Whu?

I've just dumped Sky, too. Hurrah for the internet.

#574 Fireproofradiator

Fireproofradiator
  • Supporters
  • 1532 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

POPULAR

This is a different Steve Coogan from the one calling Murdoch's newspapers to account the last six months, right?

#575 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27532 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

BBC Films confirmed at Cannes today that the Alan Partridge movie will shoot in the Autumn - Interesting that the character has moved to Sky but the Beeb are still producing the movie.

They also confirmed that Declan Lowney will start shooting the long-awaited Alan Partridge Movie, reuniting Steve Coogan and "Veep" creator/producer Armando Iannucci on their popular British television character, in the fall.

#576 dr zoidberg

dr zoidberg
  • Members
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I thought they had already started filming the movie. I swear I saw some photos of Alan standing by a flower stall recently :huh:

#577 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7944 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

I saw that too. It was speculated to be from the movie at the time, but presumably it will have been for one of the Sky specials.

#578 DonRumsfeld

DonRumsfeld
  • Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

http://www.guardian....dge-norfolk-sky

Trailer :)

#579 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27532 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

2 min clip
http://www.digitalsp...of-my-life.html

#580 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19271 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Just a reminder that the one-hour special, Places of My Life, is on Sky Atlantic this Monday at 9pm.

#581 joffocakes

joffocakes
  • Supporters
  • 10777 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Tonight!

...I don't have sky atlantic though. Sobs.

#582 Blooming Marvellous

Blooming Marvellous
  • Members (restricted)
  • 4980 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

oh god how exciting! The clip wasn't very good though. Anyway I'm off to stick a flap of Bounce in the washing machine to prepare.

#583 Blooming Marvellous

Blooming Marvellous
  • Members (restricted)
  • 4980 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Tonight!

...I don't have sky atlantic though. Sobs.

if you know anyone with a sky subscription (your fat mum maybe?) then you can get their user details and watch it on sky go.

#584 dan_tm

dan_tm
  • Members
  • 21414 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Another clip here:

http://www.guardian....aces-life-video

#585 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Can this be rewatched with Sky Go?

I'm not at home whilst it's on, so it would be good to catch up later with it.

#586 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19271 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

You should be able to. All the Sky UK commissioned programmes that have appeared on Sky Atlantic seem to be on Sky Go so I can't see why this would be any different.

#587 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7430 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Somebody just described Alan Partridge to me as "base humour", kind of like "Little Brittain". I wasn't pleased.

#588 myoozikk

myoozikk
  • Members
  • 14786 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Oh man this is amazing!!

#589 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11279 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Swanswim! :)

Fantastic opening ten minutes.

#590 Blooming Marvellous

Blooming Marvellous
  • Members (restricted)
  • 4980 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

This is so so great. His piss-take of populist history stuff with the Norwich councillors was perfect, culminating in his nazi freak-out on the balcony. I love how he's made him so fragile and subtly fucked up.

#591 Blooming Marvellous

Blooming Marvellous
  • Members (restricted)
  • 4980 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

ahahah 'yeah well they died. So I buried them.' This graveyard scene is absolute classic. So so many great bits.

#592 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11279 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

© Pear Tree Infographics

#593 The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!

The-Pope-Smokes-Dope!
  • Supporters
  • 11629 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

FLYING AIDS!

#594 lordcookie

lordcookie
  • Members
  • 19271 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Every time a new Partridge project is announced I get the horrible feeling that it won't be as good as previous series and every time I am proved to be wrong. This was excellent from start to finish and I look forward to next week's Open Books.

#595 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11279 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

I was a bit worried about...

Spoiler

but was genuinely pleased when...

Spoiler

#596 dan_tm

dan_tm
  • Members
  • 21414 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

Man, they're quick these days; the episode was up on binsearch before midnight.

Really enjoyed that overall, it was a nice surprise as I didn't realise it was going to be on TV so soon.

Spoiler

Coogan's delivery of lines like the above is absolutely perfect.

#597 Blooming Marvellous

Blooming Marvellous
  • Members (restricted)
  • 4980 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

He's such an amazing actor, although I guess it's easier to act a character of your own creation than someone else's. However he is still so bloody good, the acting of the utter indignancy and arrogant inability to accept advice or information about the Range Rover was perfect - reminded me of the legendary scene at North Norfolk Digital when he's 'fairly conversant' or whatever it was about wine and wine words.

#598 myoozikk

myoozikk
  • Members
  • 14786 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

POPULAR

Oh man...

http://www.ultracult...n-partridge.htm

STUDIOCANAL SIGNS ALAN PARTRIDGE
Partridge declares himself “gladdened and pleased…by the greatest Anglo-French co-operation since the Normandy landings…”
June 26 2012: STUDIOCANAL today announced their acquisition of UK theatric rights to THE ALAN PARTRIDGE MOVIE, set to shoot from January 7 next year, and confirmed an August 16 2013 opening date for the film in the UK.
Alan Partridge commented, “I’m simultaneously gladdened and pleased to see a British film being co-funded by the French dudes at STUDIOCANAL. This is without doubt the greatest Anglo-French co-operation since the Normandy landings. This time, the heroes aren’t Allied servicemen – they’re motion picture financiers, who are equally brave.
I’d also like to add that ‘canal’ – or, in English, ‘canal’ – is a transportation system close to my heart. In the late 18th century, this new method of logistics halved the price of coal in many English cities. If STUDIOCANAL’s investment can achieve even a fraction of that, I will be delighted.”

#599 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27532 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

:lol:

#600 dan_tm

dan_tm
  • Members
  • 21414 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

My watch is waterproof.