• Please log in to reply
1000 replies to this topic

#1 000

• Members
  • 14551 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

gog.com, Good Old Games, has replaced their website with this message:

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

#2 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16007 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

What? But they've been updating right up till closure, haven't they?

This is crazy.

#3 Goose

Goose
  • Moderators
  • 27072 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

:(

#4 000

• Members
  • 14551 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hm, reading about, some think this is a publicity stunt for a relaunch within a few days. If so, I think it's rather ill-thought-out, because digital distribution relies on trust between the consumer and the store.

#5 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16007 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hm, reading about, some think this is a publicity stunt for a relaunch within a few days. If so, I think it's rather ill-thought-out, because digital distribution relies on trust between the consumer and the store.

Reading it again, that statement does seem to imply that. Very weird move, but somehow more believable than them just shutting down for good.

#6 Sigourney Beaver

Sigourney Beaver
  • Members
  • 18340 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

I'm glad I've downloaded all my games.

#7 Graham_S

Graham_S
  • Tech Team
  • 28144 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240

#8 snowbind

snowbind
  • Supporters
  • 28454 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:03 AM

Sounds like a re-branding.

#9 SaintM

SaintM
  • Supporters (HTML)
  • 33136 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

Wow, that's a really bad call.

#10 Dudley

Dudley
  • Supporters
  • 14917 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

I don't think it's a publicity stunt but they've never said they're closing completely.

I imagine they'll be back but with something that looks a lot more like Steam and which (for new games / probably new purchases of old games) will have some form of DRM.

Incidentally.

First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

#11 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 35766 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

They're coming out of beta and going with a desktop client, betcha. Probably need a few days downtime to cut over their services etc?

#12 wavey

wavey
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

Well now we know: it WAS just a really bad publicity stunt. ffs.

#13 000

• Members
  • 14551 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

Oh dear. Well, I'll never be buying anything from there at any point in the future.

#14 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2723 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

What a stupid way to drum up some publicity.

#15 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16007 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Monks. MONKS.

Good grief.

#16 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

This was a colossal fuck up, but going by the RPS comments you'd think they'd fucked their mums and wiped their cock on the curtains.

#17 wev

wev
  • Members
  • 5547 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Not really, The Works Bookstore does it all the time, they'll get staff to put paper all over their store windows and then put a sign up saying "10 days to go" with the number changing each day, makes customers think the stores closing down so they go in and buy stuff.

#18 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17334 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hellooooooohoooooo have you guys all missed this bit:

PC Gamer also reports that they will have Baldur’s Gate when the service comes back

Excellent news, if this is followed by BG2 then all is forgiven and I couldn't are less about their ill-advised publicity stunts :D

#19 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6674 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

Not really, The Works Bookstore does it all the time, they'll get staff to put paper all over their store windows and then put a sign up saying "10 days to go" with the number changing each day, makes customers think the stores closing down so they go in and buy stuff.

But with the bookstore once you've bought the book that's it. There needs to be a certain level of trust with digital distributors that you'll always be able to get your games, you see so many posts on the Steam forums asking what if it closes down, so this stunt won't have helped them in that respect with many people.

Nice that they have Baldur's gate coming, but that and 2 are always installed and the CDs next to the PC anyway. Though if you could get it set up with the Tutu and widescreen mod I'd be tempted, but fingers crossed we'll see them on Steam at some point.

#20 GMass

GMass
  • Members
  • 1965 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

hold on..

"PC Gamer also reports that they will have Baldur’s Gate when the service comes back."

I might get that so their stupid stunt may have worked on me. <_<

#21 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8359 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

Whilst the PR stunt was silly I'm just happy to see GoG still around, great website. Have no problems buying anything from them.

Their apology made me laugh :lol:

#22 wev

wev
  • Members
  • 5547 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

But with the bookstore once you've bought the book that's it. There needs to be a certain level of trust with digital distributors that you'll always be able to get your games, you see so many posts on the Steam forums asking what if it closes down, so this stunt won't have helped them in that respect with many people.

Nice that they have Baldur's gate coming, but that and 2 are always installed and the CDs next to the PC anyway. Though if you could get it set up with the Tutu and widescreen mod I'd be tempted, but fingers crossed we'll see them on Steam at some point.

But as GOG's stuff is all DRM free, doesn't that mean you have the right to put any executable files you download onto disc for storage purposes?

#23 JPR

JPR
  • Members
  • 6674 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

But as GOG's stuff is all DRM free, doesn't that mean you have the right to put any executable files you download onto disc for storage purposes?

I assume you can back it up however you like. But I'd seen people commenting that they'd not downloaded all the games they'd purchased yet, so it won't have done them any favours with those I'd imagine.

#24 youngbob

youngbob
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

Dodo feathers spring to mind.

#25 Gaz

Gaz
  • Members
  • 18906 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

I'd never heard of them and now I have..

The fact that they did this got them mentioned on this message board and possibly many, many others in full view of loads of people who may never heard of them otherwise.

It is fucking brilliant marketing.

#26 wev

wev
  • Members
  • 5547 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

I assume you can back it up however you like. But I'd seen people commenting that they'd not downloaded all the games they'd purchased yet, so it won't have done them any favours with those I'd imagine.

Hmm, I hadn't taken that into consideration, mostly because I tend to download something as soon as I've bought it... But yes, that kind of thing does concern me, on Steam I have a few games I've paid for, downloaded, uninstalled and haven't redownloaded...

#27 Sabreman

Sabreman
  • Members
  • 17870 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

Bit cheeky but I'm not the least bit offended and I'm thrilled it's still there. I mean that was a long beta after all. Looking forward to seeing what turns up in the near future.

#28 Sabreman

Sabreman
  • Members
  • 17870 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

Planescape: Torment is up.

#29 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17334 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Dammit, I already bought Baldur's Gate last week and now they put up one of the best games ever made that I can't help but buy again? :angry:

Just kidding, I'm all :OMG: :OMG: while entering my cc details :OMG:

#30 Campfire_Burning

Campfire_Burning
  • Members
  • 4639 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

I got all the Infinity Engine D&D games when they were re-released a year ago, but six quid odd for Planescape: Torment is a serious bargain - it's one of the best games ever made. You'd have to be some kind of game-hating crazy not to get it at this price.

I hope that if they put Neverwinter Nights up they have the rights to distribute the DLC alongside it. I'd love to get my hands on Wyvern Crown of Cormyr and Pirates of the Sword Coast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users