Photo

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died. Gorgeous View. Need Humanity. Amazing Chest Ahead. Save Sunshine Gary! Praise The Sun!

Action 360 PS3

• Please log in to reply
16293 replies to this topic

#1 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Players List

https://docs.google....&hl=en_GB#gid=0

Prologue

Enter a dark world filled with despair and threaded by hope where your ability to creatively strategize, learn and overcome unpredictable and unique challenges determines your fate. Dark Souls will demand your absolute concentration, unflinchingly punish your mistakes, but reward your ability to learn from death. Each challenge is a mind game met with endless combinations that will test your ability to creatively strategize a way to conquer unimaginable monsters and progress deeper into this bleak and forbidding environment filled with the un-dead.

Extremely Deep, Dark & Difficult - Unforgiving in its punishment, yet rewarding for the determined - learn to strategize freely and conquer seemingly impossible challenges. You will organically design your own gameplay style by developing your character and continuously trying different strategies to finally achieve successful progression.

Fully Seamless World - Explore a completely integrated world of dark fantasy where dungeons are seamlessly intertwined, with great height.

Mastery Earns Progression - Contains 60 hours of gameplay, with nearly 100 uniquely despair-inducing monsters & an incredibly nuanced weaponry & magic spells system, the effectiveness of which is determined by combat situation, fighting style and character attributes. Player success depends on their eventual mastery of how and when to use the magic spells, choice of armor, the number of weapons, the types of weapons, and the moves attached to the weapons.

Network Play - Players may cross paths with one another, interacting with each other throughout the game even as each player plays their own game. Networked play allows users to cross paths with one another to enhance the single-player gameplay experience without destroying it.

Flexible Character Development & Role Play - As the player progresses, they must carefully choose which of their character's abilities to enhance as this will determine their progression style. Players can choose to play as a sword master and a wizard, for example.

Community - See other real players and empathize with their journey, learn from seeing how others died, find and leave messages for your fellow players; helping them or leading them into death.

Symbolic of Life & Hope - The Beacon Fire is an important feature of Dark Souls for many reasons. Though in gameplay it serves as a recovery and re-spawn point for players whose health gets low, it is also where players can emotionally share experiences with other players, and is the one place in the dark world where players can find a fleeting moment of warmth and calm.

Additional Network Play Information

Covenants - When exploring the game world, specific opportunities will allow the player to ally with a specific person/object. This oath/allegiance system is called a Covenant. It's a new, unique feature to the Dark Souls online experience which adds immersion and anticipation. Covenants could potentially align your character with other players, or create tension and competition as enemies. This system is dissimilar to an "MMO guild", but will allow the game to create a unique gaming experience for each player. Known covenants: Way of White, Gravelord Servant, Chaos Servant, (Blades of the Darkmoon, and Darkwraiths.

Gravelord - Think Demon's Souls was hard? Gravelord intensifies the experience of online gameplay and invasion through sabtoage. Invoking the power of Gravelord ups the difficulty of a random player's world when in a given area. To remove the curse, the affected player must find the Gravelord markings, allowing him/her to invade then kill the caster. The tension this creates will no doubt enhance the challenge of the game.

Additional Covenant Information (SPOILERS)

Spoiler

Character Classes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting Gifts

Blessing of the Goddess – fully restores HP and clears abnormal status effects

Black Firebomb – throw to create a powerful blaze

Telescope – used to see far away objects, threats, and scenery

Pendant – it's filled with blocked memories

Humanity's Twin – an item you can obtain from black phantoms

All Purpose Key – use this to open doors with a simple lock

Ring of Life – wear this to increase your HP by a small amount

Ring of the Aged Witch – a ring given by a witch (usage is unclear)

Trailers

Screens

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Reviews

Gamespot - 9.5
IGN - 9
EDGE - 9
Eurogamer - 9
Beefjack - 9/10
The Guardian - 4/5
Metro - 9/10
RPG Site - 9/10
Electronic Theatre - 9/10
Joystiq - 4/5
JPS - 5/5
Telegraph - 5/5
OXM - 9/10
GamesTM - 9/10
Game Informer - 8.75
Strategy Informer - 8/10
NowGamer - 9.1

#2 imp

imp
  • Members
  • 9866 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

OH GOD YES. This is probably the best line-up of announcements from TGS for a really long time!

Anyway, from Kotaku,

A short preview trailer for Project Dark was shown at Sony's press conference, full of demons and darkness and logos. The official Project Dark web site lists the game's publisher as Namco Bandai—the publisher of Demon's Souls in Europe—the genre as "action RPG" and the platforms as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It appears the game will be limited to the PS3 in Japan, but that global audiences will get to enjoy Project Dark.

Which is pretty fucking cool.

#3 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

Completely unrelated but searching this forum on an iPhone is a bloody chore, so; is demon souls worth getting? I'm getting a ps3 in a couple of weeks and I'm on the lookout for some decent games.

#4 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8039 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

Squid, it is THE game for the PS3. My all time favourite game ever by miles.

Also :OMG: cant wait for this, and NO it does not need an easy mode. That's exactly what makes Demon's souls the most rewarding game ever.

#5 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

I just posted that and then saw the demon souls topic a couple down. D'oh! Sorry for the derail!

#6 Uzi

Uzi
  • Moderators
  • 29705 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

If this is ANYTHING like Demon Souls I'm SO there. The news of a 360 version intrigues me as that would bring in a much wider audience here on the forum for online if there is such a component.

This is really funny, me and Imp were wishing for ages a new persona and demon souls would get announced this year....and they kinda have in a cool spin off way!

#7 Masu

Masu
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

From Software.

One of the few software houses these days that can release a movie of a single fire with accompanying crackling sounds and get me excited.
Looking forward to your post tomorrow, Sarge!

#8 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 63494 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

This would have passed me by completely, were it not that I finally started playing Demon's Souls last week and got a little obsessed by it :) Excellent news then.

#9 Jackson

Jackson
  • Members
  • 1695 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Came so close to buying a PS3 recently for Demon's Souls. So consider me happy! :)

#10 Uzi

Uzi
  • Moderators
  • 29705 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

You still should!

I wonder if this Project dead is obviously just a current codename for will end up becoming Demon Souls 2, or if it is actually a totally different thign altogether.

#11 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8039 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

@Jackson: I totally bought my PS3 for Demon's Souls, it was utterly worth it. Still is.

#12 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik
  • Members
  • 17302 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

How can you not buy a PS3 at this point, with Last Guardian just around the corner? Until then you can enjoy Demon's Souls and the ICO collection.

#13 Jackson

Jackson
  • Members
  • 1695 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Only one of those 4 games you've mentioned above has been released, and two-hundred and fifty pounds is not very easy to come by. I would hate to derail this thread into a "lets list reasons to buy/not to buy a PS3" farce, so lets just leave it at that. Woop! Project Dark!

Anybody else like me left the website open with the beautiful fire crackling noises? :wub:

#14 Stolly

Stolly
  • Members
  • 4747 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Great news - although they have set the bar awfully high with Demons Souls. Fuck knows how they could better it anyway :)

#15 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3150 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Good news: Demon's Souls successor all but in name.

Bad news: No, Sir Curtis in the Nexus. :lol:

#16 Masu

Masu
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Good news: Demon's Souls successor all but in name.

:D
Its off the scale on my personal intrest-o-meter.

#17 Kevvy Metal

Kevvy Metal
  • Members
  • 4774 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

Great news - although they have set the bar awfully high with Demons Souls. Fuck knows how they could better it anyway :)

They should make it pretty much the same, only more content thx.

#18 imp

imp
  • Members
  • 9866 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

Preorder canceled.

I take it you'll be buying on both 360 and PS3, like some of those crazy *ahem* Street Fighter IV fanatics?

#19 Seriously

Seriously
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

They should make it pretty much the same, only more content thx.

agreed. more levels, weapons, armor, and monsters. they dont need to do anything else, it would still be a fresher experience than pretty much anything else out there.

#20 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3150 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Preorder canceled.

I take it you'll be buying on both 360 and PS3, like some of those crazy *ahem* Street Fighter IV fanatics?

Nah. Day one Japanese PS3 import. Fuck the language barrier! :eyebrows:

#21 The Bag

The Bag
  • Members
  • 3640 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

I really need to get back to Demon's Souls, loved what I played but put it down to play something else and haven't got back to it yet.

Edit: dammit, loaded the website and read 'available in early 2011' :OMG: then re-read it 'More information available in early 2011' :doh:

#22 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

Debut Trailer (CAM)

http://tgs.gamespot.com/video/6276384/

:)

#23 Masu

Masu
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

Sarge, you are indeed The Man.

#24 Jackson

Jackson
  • Members
  • 1695 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the video! The enemies in it look like Resident Evil 4/5 bosses. Are the bosses in Demon's Souls crazy looking like that too then?

#25 Masu

Masu
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the video! The enemies in it look like Resident Evil 4/5 bosses. Are the bosses in Demon's Souls crazy looking like that too then?

The bosses in Demons Souls vary from giants to slug beasts, and even dragons. The regluar levels are mostly populated by human ish stuff ;)

#26 imp

imp
  • Members
  • 9866 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

Yes, they are. This very much confirms my hopes for this being Demon's Souls 2 in all but name. I wonder if the name is tied up in some kind of sticky legal situation now that this is multiplatform and Sony published (and funded IIRC) the original game in Japan and Asia.

#27 Jackson

Jackson
  • Members
  • 1695 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

That's what they're saying on 'GAF, that Sony own the Demon's Souls name. This is such excellent news! Only problem is I think I'm at peak hype already, and the game is probably 2 years away. :facepalm:

#28 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3150 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

I don't give a fuck what they call it! I can wait from now until forever to play this game! I feel part sad, part elation at that trailer.

#29 donpeartree

donpeartree
  • Members
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

That trailer was pretty uninspiring. However, that doesn't take away from my excitement of the prospect of another Demon's Souls (in all but name).
Still, this TGS has been kind of depressing for me - the wait for most of these games seems hopelessly long. The Last Guardian released in "Holiday 2011"? Fuck you. I'd rather never hear about these games until about 6 months before release.

#30 imp

imp
  • Members
  • 9866 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

I don't give a fuck what they call it! I can wait from now until forever to play this game! I feel part sad, part elation at that trailer.

They should call it:

Demons' Souls. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Action, 360, PS3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users