Pulled Pork

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#31 Jonny5

Jonny5
  • Members
  • 11097 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

So this weekend I went for it and tried Craster's recipe from the beginning of the thread.

My other half is not a huge fan of pork so I decided to make fajitas out of it. I made a mexican style rub with some chilli powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, onion, garlic & salt and once covered left my pork over-night in the fridge. This morning I made up the sauce, I didn't have any white wine vinegar or white wine, so used half a can of strongbow instead :)

9 hours later I removed the meat and started boiling the (very spicy) juices to reduce. I only put a little of the juices over the pork as I think the mexican rub was a bit too spicy, but I've kept it for use on leftovers. I also used some of the juices in the onion & peppers for our fajitas.

The result was bloody amazing, the meat was falling apart as I was lifting it out of the slow cooker and was juicy with a slight spicy kick. Served up with salsa, sour cream & guacamole it was fabulous, and something I'll definitely be doing again. Shoddy phone pics below...

Prep
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Its ready!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 10329 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:09 PM

We had some pulled pork tonight. Did the method in the YouTube vid up there, with a slightly different rub. Had in baps with coleslaw and homemade bbq sauce:

1/2 diced onion
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup American hot dog mustard
1/4 cup black treacle
1/4 cup brewed black coffee
2 canned chipotles, chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup reduced cooking juices
Few drops of Liquid Smoke (optional)

Fry onion till soft. Add garlic and cook for a bit longer. Add everything else and simmer over a low heat for 30 mins, stirring occasionally. Puree until smooth.

#33 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20272 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

Jonny5 - looks lovely.

The Fox - where's the bloody photos?

#34 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 10329 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

I did get some pics actually (albeit camcorder ones with the horrible flash on, so they probably look awful). I'll upload them tonight if I remember.

#35 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4654 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

I didn't have any white wine vinegar or white wine, so used half a can of strongbow instead :)

Good man! Glad it turned out well.

#36 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

So this weekend I went for it and tried Craster's recipe from the beginning of the thread.

My other half is not a huge fan of pork so I decided to make fajitas out of it. I made a mexican style rub with some chilli powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, onion, garlic & salt and once covered left my pork over-night in the fridge. This morning I made up the sauce, I didn't have any white wine vinegar or white wine, so used half a can of strongbow instead :)

9 hours later I removed the meat and started boiling the (very spicy) juices to reduce. I only put a little of the juices over the pork as I think the mexican rub was a bit too spicy, but I've kept it for use on leftovers. I also used some of the juices in the onion & peppers for our fajitas.

The result was bloody amazing, the meat was falling apart as I was lifting it out of the slow cooker and was juicy with a slight spicy kick. Served up with salsa, sour cream & guacamole it was fabulous, and something I'll definitely be doing again. Shoddy phone pics below...

Well done Sire, this looks utterly amazing! I picked up the same slow cooker today so going to try this myself. Thanks for the effort to make the post

#37 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27898 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

Wow it looks like I kicked off a pulled pork revolution! I was just going to add to this and say that I have tried the recipe I posted a few times now, and it's worked really well so for those without a slow cooker I can certainly recommend it...

Ingredients

• 1.3 kg (3 lb) boneless pork shoulder.
  • 2 level teapoons sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, freshly ground if possible.
  • 2 teaspoons mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, ground to a powder in a coffee grinder
  • 2 teaspoons chilli powder or a bunch of your favourite dried chillies, powdered
  • 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, ground to a powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ginger powder

Cook it over:
  • 450 ml cider

The reduction
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • White wine vinegar to taste

Method
  • Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl
  • Remove the skin from the pork
  • Make some cuts in the meat, and rub in the spice mix
  • cover and leave in the fridge (preferably over night)
  • Preheat the oven to 150° C (300° F - gas 2)
  • Place the pork, 'skin-side-up' on a wire rack resting on a tray full of cider. The pork must be clear of the cooking liquor.
  • Cover and seal with two layers of tin-foil so the joint can steam in the cider.
  • Cook for 4.5 hours, and don't fiddle or mess about with it!
  • After 4.5 hours, turn the heat up to 200° C (400° F - gas 6).
  • Reserving the original tray and its juices, place the joint on its rack over a clean, dry roasting tray and roast uncovered for a further 30 minutes.
  • When the pork is cooked, use two forks to shred the pork into tiny pieces.
  • To the juices, add the final sugar, taste, and then add a splash or so of white wine vinegar to balance the flavours. Use a wooden spatula to get all of the goodness from the pan and then whisk well.
  • Tip the pork into the sauce and heat until it is reduced to a sticky mass.

#38 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 10329 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

And a bonus pic of our King Ranch Chicken Casserole.

Posted Image

#39 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27898 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

And a bonus pic of our King Ranch Chicken Casserole.

Posted Image

Any chance you can post up the recipe for the King Ranch Chicken Casserole? I've been wanting to make this since I last had it in the States 4 years ago

#40 Chosty

Chosty
  • Members
  • 12938 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

Wow it looks like I kicked off a pulled pork revolution! I was just going to add to this and say that I have tried the recipe I posted a few times now, and it's worked really well so for those without a slow cooker I can certainly recommend it...

Nice one.

But you missed off the bit about what to do with all the spices.

#41 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27898 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

Nice one.

But you missed off the bit about what to do with all the spices.

Oh yeah. I'll edit that in, sorry

#42 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 10329 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

Oli - it's modified from the version on the Homesick Texan blog:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts
4 teaspoons of lime juice
1/4 cup of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons of butter
1/2 an onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 10oz. can of Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained (You can buy these from Skyco but they're not cheap. Or just use normal chopped tomatoes, drained, and a few diced jalapenos)
4 teaspoons ancho chile powder (I made my own from some anchos I'd bought from mexgrocer. Normal chilli powder will be fine though)
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 cup of chicken stock
2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of half and half (I just used a mix of single cream and whole milk)
1/3 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of coriander, chopped (I didn't put anywhere near this much in as I hate coriander leaf)
3 cups of grated cheese, Mexicana, Monterey Jack, Red Leicester/red cheddar
10 corn tortillas
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. Season the chicken with the lime juice, 2 teaspoons of ancho chile powder and a dash of salt. In a skillet heated on medium, cook the chicken in the olive oil on each side for about 10 minutes.
2. When chicken is done (after about 20 minutes), shred it and set aside. Taste and see if it needs more salt and pepper. Should yield about 3 cups.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium, and add the onions and bell peppers. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, flour, cumin, cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of ancho chile powder, and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken broth and cook on low until mixture is thickened, a few minutes. Stir in the half-and-half and Ro-Tel cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Uncover the pot, and add the sour cream, 2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1/4 cup of cilantro, and add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
8. Heat up the tortillas (you can do this by adding a bit of oil on an iron skillet and then cooking the tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side). They will curl up if you don't do this.
9. Ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking pan (just a thin layer to stop the tortillas sticking).
10. Layer half the tortillas along the bottom of the pan (on top of the sauce). To make sure entire pan is evenly covered, you can rip some of the tortillas into strips to fill any gaps.
11. Add half the chicken, half the remaining sauce, half the remaining cilantro and 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese.
12. Repeat the layering, leaving the cheese layer on top.
13. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbling. Serves 6-12, depending on how big a portion you distribute (lol yeah right you'd get 6 portions out of it, tops). Goes great with sour cream and cilantro on top.

edit: and here is the rub I used for the pulled pork:

3 tsp salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp powdered pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp onion granules
1 tsp ancho chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp allspice
Few drops of hickory liquid smoke

#43 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4654 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Made pulled pork and chorizo chilli this evening. Pretty sure it was the best thing I've ever cooked.

#44 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

Made pulled pork and chorizo chilli this evening. Pretty sure it was the best thing I've ever cooked.

Details and pics please!

#45 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4654 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Didn't take any pics, unfortunately. I've got some in the fridge so I'll take a pic, but it probably won't look terribly appetising.

I used the recipe I posted on the front page (although I make up the quantities every time), with the following changes:

1) Start the whole thing by frying off a load of chorizo, so when you add the onions & garlic they're frying in the chorizo oil
2) Leave out the vinegar, sugar, and white wine
3) Add in (at the bringing to a boil stage) 1 and a half tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp chilli powder, 1 diced whole chilli, 1 tin kidney beans, 1 tin chopped tomatoes
4) Use a chilli-powder heavy spice rub instead of a barbecue one.

#46 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

http://shopaholly.wo...er-pulled-pork/

#47 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4654 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Bit of a cheat's recipe that, just using a bottle of BBQ sauce at the end. Still, I expect it does the job. Odd that she cooks it on high for 6 hours - I usually do low for 8 hours.

#48 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20272 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

Kudos to everyone making pulled pork, looks lovely :hat: .

I do think that the 'pulled' texture looks a bit unsatisfying though. I think I'll try it and delicately serve it in portions as best as possible. I'd prefer to pull it on my plate, I think.

#49 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

Bit of a cheat's recipe that, just using a bottle of BBQ sauce at the end. Still, I expect it does the job. Odd that she cooks it on high for 6 hours - I usually do low for 8 hours.

Yeah I wasn't very impressed with this, but I thought it was fairly interesting to see how she's done it compared to the other people in this thread...

This thread puts her technique to shame :blah:

#50 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4654 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

I'd prefer to pull it on my plate, I think.

Try doing it with brisket. It's beautifully tender, but doesn't have that pull-apart texture, in fact you need to slice it really.

#51 oli

oli
  • Members
  • 27898 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

I want a good BBQ style brisket recipe (oven cooked not slow cooker though) I shall try and find one

#52 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20272 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Try doing it with brisket. It's beautifully tender, but doesn't have that pull-apart texture, in fact you need to slice it really.

Good idea, haven't cooked it in a while.

I want a good BBQ style brisket recipe (oven cooked not slow cooker though) I shall try and find one

The opening credits of Man vs Food shows them slicing some BBQ brisket and it always make me drool. So nice.

#53 evilwallpaper

evilwallpaper
  • Members
  • 3494 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

I made some Chinise style pulled pork at the weekend. Used some Roast Red Pork seasoning for the rub on it left it in the fridge overnight, then made the sauce to slow cook it in from cinnamon and ginger. Lovely

#54 Fondue

Fondue
  • Members
  • 15832 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

Mmm. Tempted to try this over the weekend; Craster, on your recipe you have a mix of spices AND the spice rub - are both required, or is it down to choice?

#55 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4654 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:42 AM

I do that to allow the meat to marinade in the rub overnight. If you're not going to leave the meat to sit, don't bother with the rub.

#56 Fondue

Fondue
  • Members
  • 15832 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Cool, thanks. Didn't get a chance to try it this weekend :/

#57 SuperBrother

SuperBrother
  • Members
  • 2647 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

Pulled pork can be as varied as you like. Here's my recipe:

1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsps cider or white wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsps paprika
2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon(s) yellow mustard
2 cloves garlic
200ml white wine
500ml chicken stock
1Kg or so pork leg or shoulder joint
BBQ/meat spice rub - most supermarkets do one or make your own.

Cut the fat off the meat joint and discard, then cut the pork into 3 chunks or so. Rub the spice mix into the meat then chill for a couple of hours or overnight.

When ready:
Dice the onion and garlic and fry in a little oil. Add all the other ingredients, mix well, and bring to a boil. Put the pork in the slow cooker, pour over the sauce (add water if it doesn't cover the meat), and put on low for 8 hours or so.

When done, take the meat out onto a chopping board. Transfer the cooking juices to a saucepan and bring rapidly to a boil to reduce. Using two forks, shred the meat (it should pull apart easily). When the sauce is thickened, add the meat and toss to coat.

Massive plus one to this!

I did this last sunday with double the amounts in our big cast iron casserole in the oven. Two night's meals on the trot and a shed load in the freezer for when the craving strikes.
Simply put the flavour is amazing, sweet, smoke, little bit of bite, just wonderful.

We had it with home made coleslaw and chips but I would imagine baked spuds, sandwiches and all sorts of other stuff would work, maybe even a pizza topping!

#58 Cras

Cras
  • Members
  • 4654 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Glad you liked it. Coleslaw is a perfect match for pulled pork.

#59 RobinTripp

RobinTripp
  • Members
  • 1646 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

I've cooked this twice, the second time adapting it into the chorizo chilli suggestion, and it was excellent both times.

It's incredibly satisfying when you start to pull the lumps of meat apart and end up with this ludicrous mound of lovely pork strands.

#60 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2807 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

I made a chilli con carne the other day following my usual slow cooker recipie, but rather than beef I used a massive pork shoulder joint, and when it was cooked I removed it forked it through and added it back to the chilli. 'Pulled Pork Chilli' ^_^

Must say this was delicious!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users