New History Of Nintendo Book

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#31 matt!

matt!
  • Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

I brought this Nintendo book on a short trip away and am reading it cover to cover, currently about 1/3 to 1/2 through. Very detailed!

#32 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12582 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

Ordered one of these babies.

Also picked up a copy of the Rogue Leaders book on the history of Lucas Arts. Retro magazine keep pimping it.

Not read it yet but the book Is lovely. It has an amazing Lentucular cover with Guybrush, Tentacle, Darth Vader, and another one. Awesome.

#33 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

Would appreciate a new thread on your thoughts on it when you've given it a read mate.

Been considering getting it but was worried there'd be too much 'shit new stuff' Plus I found the cover, personally, really off putting. Of all the things they could use they plonk rubbish characters (Tentacle withstanding) on a yellow background. :blink:

edit: Hmm just read some more reviews of it, apparently over half the books about star wars titles.. Yikes!

#34 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12582 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

From initial perusal there appears to be a lot of really nice artwork including loads of concept stuff. Interviews with key people. Stories about how everything came about. It does seem heavily weighted towards the Star Wars stuff but you have to remember how well those have sold over the years and since Full Throttle, Grim Fandango etc it has been their key output. There seems to be quite a bit on Grim Fandango by the way.

I think it does have an air of coffee table book about it but I like the 'feel' of it. Will report back after further reading.

As for old vs new I have just had a look and there are a lot of Star Wars titles but I would say its about half and half. Its very comprehensive. They even have a section on Zombies ate my neighbors which I didn't even realism was a Lucas Arts game. Blimey. There are BIG sections on things like Monkey Island, Full Throttle and even Outlaws which was a brilliant western FPS I had totally forgotten about.

#35 Yiggy

Yiggy
  • Members
  • 12582 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

Recieved the Nintendo Book today so really fast delivery. Its truly beautiful and if they manage to get all 4 volumes out it is going to be a bloody masterpiece. I had a the wee post it note from the guys as well. Awesome.

The great thing is the subject matter is kind of alien to me but they are making it genuinely interesting. I thought I knew a lot about Nintendo but this stuff is really filling in the gaps and will compliment the other 3 volumes really well. I would say if you have any passing interest in video game history then for the relatively cheap price you have to pick this up.

Somebody really needs to do the same with Sega.

#36 suzzopher

suzzopher
  • Members
  • 1847 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Still no sign of the second book :(

#37 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

It's still being translated.

#38 matt!

matt!
  • Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they said it was delayed

#39 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Really want the second book but been waiting ages now! :(

#40 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5001 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

I eventually got a copy of the first book from ebay yesterday, and wow! What a fantastic book. Having read Game Over many times it's nice to put pictures to some of the things I read about, like the Ultra Hand and the Lazer Clay ranges!
Will definitely pick up the second in the series!

#41 matt!

matt!
  • Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

As far as I can gather the guy who was the driving force behind this book parted company with the publishing company he had set up to do it. He then started another publishing company and has already released the third book in the series – as well as other related books – but they are only published in French so far. The state of the second book seems uncertain.

Original publisher: http://pixnlovepublishing.com

New publisher: http://omakebooks.com

Third book, in French: http://omakebooks.com/?p=14

#42 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

He posted over on the RG forums a few months back saying the second one was underway and it will come out.

#43 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Well its been underway a long time..! :-( I'll not hold my breath.

Any chance of a link to the post?

#44 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Sorry, no idea where it is now. Best thing to do is drop them a line, they've always been pretty open about stuff like this in the past.

#45 matt!

matt!
  • Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

I tweeted the guy and got a response that it's unlikely to come out

#46 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

Balls :(

Did he say why? Last I heard they did quite well with the first English book.

#47 Nutcasey

Nutcasey
  • Members
  • 4661 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Got the first book and thought it was great. Shame nothing else is coming out.

#48 sofasurfer

sofasurfer
  • Supporters
  • 8402 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

I tweeted the guy and got a response that it's unlikely to come out

Shit...that is bad news. I was hoping it would be the start of a great series.

#49 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41425 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

Oh man. Thats a shame :(

#50 linkedtothepast

linkedtothepast
  • Members
  • 2646 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

Did La Bible) PCE ever get translated, may I ask?

#51 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

Things may not be as bad as they seemed! One of the guys who knows the chaps behind the books posted this the other day:

Don't be disappointed, there will be new books published.
Volume 1 didn't sell well because the people at Pix'n Love only relied on word of mouth to sell it. It didn't work out as planned, so of course, they're a bit shy now! However, I'm convinced (I'll tell you why later) other books will follow... Stay tuned!

#52 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Bit quick off the mark but he's followed it up with another post, sounds like they really need some support so get that Like button pressed:

I can't tell you more right now, but trust me, if things work out, you won't be disappointed. But in order for things to work out, we need the support of the retro community. I'm sure there is a huge market in the UK for this kind of books but the people at Pix'n Love Publishing have to be convinced of that, plus they've been busy with the French side of things so they kind of forgot about the English market...

The first step would be to like this page on Facebook:

Facebook Link

The History of Nintendo vol. 1 will be released in the UK pretty soon (in book shops, I know it's already on sale on the website) so hopefully, the sales will finally go up and the release of vol. 2 will follow.
For those of you that haven't already bought the book, you'll have a chance to browse through the book and see it's indeed a great read. And those of you who already have the book, maybe you could recommend it to your friends?

Like I said earlier, the publishers mostly rely on word of mouth to sell the book and test the market. So do not hesitate to share this link, tell your friends, etc...

I'll keep you posted as much as I can on this matter.

#53 matt!

matt!
  • Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Tell us more.

#54 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

That's all there is for now. But as soon as he posts anything else I'll repost it here, in the meantime the best bet is to click Like on Facebook.

#55 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

I don't use facebook so there's the first hurdle. The other is that a publisher who needs convincing that a decent retro book might sell well in English, is baffling. :(

#56 STARWOLF

STARWOLF
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

Any more news on when the 2nd books out ?

#57 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

Well I've been chatting to the guys behind the books and they've agreed to do an article/interview for NESBit :D

So suggestions for questions! And yes I'll be asking when book 2 is out :lol:

#58 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

While you're at it tell them I know a good professional translator who's affordable. If that's what's stopping them!!

#59 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30471 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

I'm going to be working on the interview this weekend, never done one for books before so something new! Anyway this is the ideal time for questions :)

#60 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

Quite honestly, I think the only question most people will want to know the answer to is, 'when is the 2nd book out?' Haha!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users