Limit Hold'em

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

I don't get this game anymore. I used to KILL at it - but it's like literally impossible to make a good day of it anymore. I'm very confused.

#2 Chaz

Chaz
  • Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

Wow, I didn't think anyone actually played limit Hold'Em.

But anyway, probably just variance? It happens. I've been suffering for weeks at a time before, usually it does turn around eventually, you just have to weather the storm (or stop playing).

#3 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

It's pretty severe, though; I can't hit a damn thing in terms of flush/straight, or I'm constantly getting fucked over with a full-house whenever I do hit the target. It's like the poker gods really want me to suffer for some horrible murderous deed that I did not commit. Variance is variance - but this is just insane.

Christ - there's another one: on the flop (3 J 2) with 22, and so I'm pretty safe. Some heavy raising, but donkey bastards - so I call. Turn comes up, and another J. More raising, and the river's a 6. By this point I'm feeling pretty safe, so I re-raise - only to be fucked over by J6o. I despair.

#4 Chaz

Chaz
  • Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, that sucks, but it does happen. I know exactly how you feel. You simply would NOT believe some of the stuff I see on a daily basis playing online, happening both to me and to others. And that's on no limit! If you take a look at the bad beat thread on here it should make you feel a little better, maybe. I think your main problem though is that you're playing limit, which encourages terribly fishy play that can often lead to bad beats and suckouts. If you were playing NL there you could have shoved the flop/turn, well probably he's calling whatever on the turn especially if he's a loose fish/donkey, but the problem with that kind of hand in limit is that you can't inflict enough damage on the flop to make him think twice about calling with top pair and raggy kicker.

#5 mayor_mike_haggar

mayor_mike_haggar
  • Members
  • 7693 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

limit hold-em pratically invites people to draw out on you though. it's such a foul game.

#6 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

I tried NL a while back, and found it to be pretty much the same raw deal. It's probably because I don't play anything but micro stakes.

#7 Poet

Poet
  • Moderators
  • 18592 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

All things being equal, Limit has higher variance than NL. It's filth. Used to play up to $5/10. So easy to drop 150BBs like it's nothing.

#8 Chaz

Chaz
  • Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

I tried NL a while back, and found it to be pretty much the same raw deal. It's probably because I don't play anything but micro stakes.

Jesus. Microstakes limit hold'em is pretty much my idea of hell on earth, as far as poker is concerned.

#9 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

I don't has the monies for the big leagues :(

#10 Chaz

Chaz
  • Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

I don't has the monies for the big leagues :(

Well, depends what you meant by microstakes of course, but I find something like 0.25/0.50 infinitely better than something like 0.05/0.10, or even 0.10/0.25.

#11 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

I've been absolutely dominating the past few days. It's been absolutely lovely - and all because of just a little tweakage to how I play.

#12 Chaz

Chaz
  • Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

And what, pray tell, was this little tweakage? I still think it's probably variance, but if you're convinced you've changed your game plan and it's significantly helping your profits, i'm eager to hear it, even if it only applies to limit games.

#13 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

It is possibly variance, and I'll end up crying into my soup later. I'm just being enormously more careful with my calls. I'd normally go in with KQo, even after multiple re-raises pre-flop, and keep on a-calling until the river unless an A showed up or there was a horrible potential flush/straight on the board.

#14 Poet

Poet
  • Moderators
  • 18592 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

It is possibly variance, and I'll end up crying into my soup later. I'm just being enormously more careful with my calls. I'd normally go in with KQo, even after multiple re-raises pre-flop, and keep on a-calling until the river unless an A showed up or there was a horrible potential flush/straight on the board.

So you closed a massive losing leak in your game? Yeah that will help you not lose money.

#15 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Ha, tell me about it. I was calling far too much on people raising with, say, A3, with only one 3 on the board. Then they'd hit the A and BAM, anger and rage.

#16 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

Yep - it was definitely variance. You just can not consistently win at limit, it would appear.

#17 mayor_mike_haggar

mayor_mike_haggar
  • Members
  • 7693 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

You can. But I don't know why you would want to.

and at the low stakes it's probably impossible due to the ludicrous rake half the online sites charge. I've probably paid something like 6-7k in rake.

#18 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

NL's too fucking punishing for me, basically; I can't take the heat, and all that. Limit may be just as fucking horrible - if not more so - but at least it *feels* safer.

#19 Darragh

Darragh
  • Members
  • 15446 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Join us for the next Rllmuk Hold 'Em game! Thursday next week, 9pm, on PokerStars. It's only $5, and it'll allow to cut your teeth in a hold 'em game in a friendly environment!

#20 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

There is no such thing as friendly NL :angry:

It's like throwing myself into a pit of money-loss, whereas Limit's more like a really thick, horrible quicksand.

#21 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

I'm back in the limit saddle. With micro limit play there's really no room for trying to read people or being clever, wait for the strong cards and go hard on them. Your example above with 22, you said there was some heavy raising but with donkey bastards. If you call heavy raising with 22 you're one of the donkeys I'm afraid. Especially when there's a lot of money on the table, then all of a sudden you're getting good odds to stay in with any old shit.

Don't fall in to bad habits at microlimits just because it's what everyone else does.

I'm back on 888 as they were giving a free $8 when you sign up and thought I'd have a go. Built the 8 up to 12 over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users