• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#61 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28829 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

Those screenshots are just sublime! :wub:

As you can tell from my avatar, this is #2 on my 'most wanted' list.

Does the number one start with Dark and end with Souls? :)

#62 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3426 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

Does the number one start with Dark and end with Souls? :)

:eyebrows:

#63 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

Will be livestreaming for an hour on the PS US Blog...from 9pm.

http://blog.us.plays...starts-at-noon/

:D

#64 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Gameplay Walkthrough

Amaze! :wub:

#65 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

Devs have announced a beta, no word of if it'll be WW or if it'll be US only. We'll find out for certain on Monday.

http://twitter.com/#!/thatgamecompany/status/84046392833748992

Better be WW or there will be trouble. :(

#66 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 31210 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

As mentioned over on the US PlayStation Blog, a small-scale closed beta trial will be taking place in the coming weeks, to test Journey’s innovative and unusual multiplayer functionality. Whilst it’d be amazing to open this out to everyone out there who’s excited about Journey, unfortunately numbers need to be kept very limited for technical reasons. But as it progresses, this trial will be extended into SCEE – the existing Beta Trial community and selected PlayStation Plus members will receive invitations in early July. Look out for more information about selection criteria and timings soon.

- PlayStation.Blog.Europe

#67 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27827 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

"Excellent..." </burns>

#68 Kayin Amoh

Kayin Amoh
  • Members
  • 3550 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

I totally got a Beta code for this game. Then I gave it away to a bud on Twitter since the code was for the NA store only.

He loved it, though.

Games: Earlier today, I was fortunate enough to receive a code into the Journey Beta that's now available in limited quantities on the PSN network. I'm a huge fan of @ThatGameCompany’s work, and Journey is definitely one of the upcoming download titles I've been looking forward to the most.

I am quite happy to report that it did not disappoint.

First things first, I think the concept of a "beta" is being perverted into meaning something that it doesn't -- no offense to TGC since they are hardly the only people guilty of doing so, but this “beta” is for all intents and purposes, a misrepresented demo.

Now, with that issue off my chest, I can say with a clear conscience that Journey is moody, evocative, mysterious, and totally beautiful. Such work is par for the course for TGC, but I'll be damned if more than a small handful of developers out there are operating on this level. Amazing stuff.

The demo consists of the player's red-robed, highly stylized nomad character walking through what appears to be an endless desert and seeing what is (I assume) the ultimate destination of the journey -- a tall mountain with a shining light erupting from its peak.

I don't want to spoil anything since (much like fl0w and Flower) discovery is part of the joy in playing, so I'll just say that the playable sections illustrate the character's ability to jump, the ability to "call", the mechanics of moving on to the next areas, and ends with the character arriving at a very ominous-looking structure -- all of it text and dialogue-free.

The last thing I'll say? If there had been a "Pay $10 to keep playing now” button at the end of the demo, I would have hit it, and hit it hard.

His Blog.

#69 Mr Do 71

Mr Do 71
  • Supporters
  • 31210 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

I totally got a Beta code for this game. Then I gave it away to a bud on Twitter since the code was for the NA store only.

He loved it, though.

Games: Earlier today, I was fortunate enough to receive a code into the Journey Beta that's now available in limited quantities on the PSN network. I'm a huge fan of @ThatGameCompany’s work, and Journey is definitely one of the upcoming download titles I've been looking forward to the most.

I am quite happy to report that it did not disappoint.

First things first, I think the concept of a "beta" is being perverted into meaning something that it doesn't -- no offense to TGC since they are hardly the only people guilty of doing so, but this “beta” is for all intents and purposes, a misrepresented demo.

Now, with that issue off my chest, I can say with a clear conscience that Journey is moody, evocative, mysterious, and totally beautiful. Such work is par for the course for TGC, but I'll be damned if more than a small handful of developers out there are operating on this level. Amazing stuff.

The demo consists of the player's red-robed, highly stylized nomad character walking through what appears to be an endless desert and seeing what is (I assume) the ultimate destination of the journey -- a tall mountain with a shining light erupting from its peak.

I don't want to spoil anything since (much like fl0w and Flower) discovery is part of the joy in playing, so I'll just say that the playable sections illustrate the character's ability to jump, the ability to "call", the mechanics of moving on to the next areas, and ends with the character arriving at a very ominous-looking structure -- all of it text and dialogue-free.

The last thing I'll say? If there had been a "Pay $10 to keep playing now” button at the end of the demo, I would have hit it, and hit it hard.

His Blog.

Cool, glad I've got a PS3 :)

#70 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Cool, glad I've got a PS3 :)

Is it PS3 only? I loved flower, such a refreshing experience, cant wait to see what this turns out like

#71 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28829 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

Yep. PS3 only. Of all the downloadable games I saw at E3, and there were many good ones, this was the most stunning.

#72 The Sarge

The Sarge
  • Members
  • 9035 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Commented Gameplay.

Wow, just...wow. :wub:

#73 Blue Screen Error

Blue Screen Error
  • Members
  • 3285 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

Snagged a beta code from USA today.

After 10 minutes,

Day 1 purchase.

#74 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27827 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Applicable EU citizens: check your inbox.

#75 Pikkewyn

Pikkewyn
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

I won't be using my code, so PM if interested.

EDIT: Gone to Curtis. He was fastest.

#76 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3426 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Thank you ever so much! :Hug:

#77 sofasurfer

sofasurfer
  • Supporters
  • 8411 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

If anyone has a spare demo code then can I have it please? Thank you

#78 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11269 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Christ, Curtis must have been quick - I PMed the second I saw Pikkewyn's post. I too would be interested in an unwanted code.

#79 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3426 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

This is probably the most beautiful thing i've ever seen!

Shame it's frozen my PS3 twice.

#80 suzzopher

suzzopher
  • Members
  • 1859 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

I've played through the beta a couple of times now.

I must say the visuals and sounds are truly second to none. But the online side of things is really something else, it's hard to describe it. Meeting someone online with no way to communicate in a natural way seemed to me as a daunting idea, yet the few gameplay interactions can actually pull you into this experience much better than any voice chat ever could. It feels somewhat magical :unsure:

#81 Aimless

Aimless
  • Members
  • 6059 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Meeting someone online with no way to communicate in a natural way seemed to me as a daunting idea, yet the few gameplay interactions can actually pull you into this experience much better than any voice chat ever could. It feels somewhat magical :unsure:

I think it's easier to project positively upon another player when they can't open their mouth to instantly disprove your favourable expectations. Demon's Souls is another game where a lack of voice chat worked to its advantage, at least as far as Black Phantoms were concerned.

Generally speaking I'm a fan of alternative forms of communication. Voice has its place, but a good 90% of online chatter only serves to take away from my experience.

#82 Majora

Majora
  • Members
  • 6977 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

I think it's easier to project positively upon another player when they can't open their mouth to instantly disprove your favourable expectations. Demon's Souls is another game where a lack of voice chat worked to its advantage, at least as far as Black Phantoms were concerned.

Generally speaking I'm a fan of alternative forms of communication. Voice has its place, but a good 90% of online chatter only serves to take away from my experience.

I agree, I used to like playing LittleBigPlanet online with no voice chat because as soon as you played with someone who spoke it totally blew the illusion and atmosphere.

Anyway I just got a beta code for this but I don't know why. I don't normally get beta codes and I don't think I'm a member of Playstation Plus unless that free trial is still ongoing. I'll be interested to try it out, I haven't been particularly fond of thatgamecompany's other 'games', but conceptually this seems far more instantly appealing.

#83 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3426 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

It's difficult to describe how this makes me feel when i'm playing it. Emotional, definitely.

There really is nothing else like it.

#84 FargalEX

FargalEX
  • Members
  • 6194 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Also putting my name down in case somebody has a spare beta. Are they just giving them away randomly?

#85 Rudderless

Rudderless
  • Members
  • 11269 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hmmm, this keeps crashing on me, and every time before I've reached a save point. As lovely as it is, I'm not sure I can be bothered starting again from scratch so I'll likely hold off playing it until it's patched.

#86 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17037 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Listening to ambience, looking at a black screen. :( Game doesn't work.

#87 mayor_mike_haggar

mayor_mike_haggar
  • Members
  • 7787 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

So it's a bit like shadow of the colossus without the colossi, this.

Also, I wish people would stop abusing words like "authentic" and "experience".

#88 Majora

Majora
  • Members
  • 6977 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

It keeps crashing for me :(

#89 Curtis

Curtis
  • Members
  • 3426 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

thatgamecompany just posted on their Facebook regarding the constant freezing/crashing:

Thanks for the heads up, everyone. We are looking into these issues! We'll get you a better build soon.

#90 Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike
  • Committee Member
  • 17037 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

v1.02 is already up, and works a lot better. I think I have played through the Beta content to completion. It's a weird, lonely game, then a person turns up and you chase after each other calling out like a pair of lunatics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users