Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ngchol

Retro arcade games on the iPad (and iPhone)?

49 posts in this topic

So far, I can only find Pacman and Frogger which are proper iPad releases. For the iPhone I have:

Digdug

Galaga

Golden Axe

Space Invaders

Pole Position

Qbert

Tetris

Vector Tanks (Battlezone in all but name)

Any others?

Classic Prince of Persia's just gone up. Universal (so it's iPhone and iPad compatible and scaled properly) for AU$1.19 -- whatever the cheapest UK price is. 59p, I think?

Excuse the bump on this, but I picked up an ipad2 recently, and wouldn't mind seeing if there's anything else that's popped up decent I may have missed.

So far I've grabbed

Pinball Dreams HD

Pinball Fantasies

North Vs South (this is freaken awesome)

The two pinball titles are pretty much identical as to how I remember them. Shame they've not done Illusions yet :)

In terms of arcade games, Karate Champ is available.

There's a good PC Engine emulator, but of course, it's hampered by having a virtual pad. Devil Crash (aka Dragon's Fury) is wonderfully playable though. There's a good Spectrum emulator too, but again, the playability of the games depends pretty much on how complicated their controls are (or how much precision is required). So some stuff is playable, (Manic Miner - left, right and jump) while other stuff isn't (Highway Encounter).

In last month's Retro Gamer they had a mini-review of an Elite Spectrum collection, with 100 games for £8.99 or something like that.

In last month's Retro Gamer they had a mini-review of an Elite Spectrum collection, with 100 games for £8.99 or something like that.

That's the one. It's very good with lots of options and the emulation quality is excellent.

Oh wow pinball illusions and fantasies are available ? Slam tilt was great but I doubt we will see that .

I should also add Sid Meiers Pirates is also a great remake. I've not forked out for the speccy one yet as I tend to struggle with virtual joysticks. The free Bruce Lee did little to convince me I'd be able to play with touchscreen.

The galaga 30th compilation is very good.

capcom arcade is a nicely presented set a classics like Commando, Final Fight!, 1943 you get some free credits then can pay for more or buy the game

ghosts n goblins gold is also good, actually capcom have got a lot of stuff on

but i do find anything which needs more than left right fire uncontrolable on a touch screen

Also, iMame appeared on the app store for a couple of days... so that, coupled with an iCade, handled most of my retro needs...

You should also check out the old Lambco arcade game Gridrunner, and the forthcoming Super Ox Wars*

*Games may actually prove to be new releases from Jeff Minter/Llamasoft compatible with iCade...

There are loads of games official and clones

You're got a lot of midway games via the midway compilations

Secret of Monkey Island

Broken Sword 1+2

All of Jeffminters games are loosely based on a lot of his early titles or 2600 games

There's an atari compilation with a shit load of 2600 games and a few arcade games

R-Type is available

Space Invaders Infinity is new but awesome

Arkanoid

sim city

command & conquer

Forget me knot is an interesting pac-man clo9ne

pac-man

ms pac-man

frogger

loads and loads of stuff really. It's just a shame that a lot are let down by controls. UNless of course that you buy an iCade.

I bought the iCade. :) The local Currys had one in stock. Damn iMame rocks :-) I may have to invest in those Jeff Minter games when I get back home at the weekend. (The downside of working away during the week is I can't take the iCade with me). Although the jumping goat one looks playable on a touchscreen :)

It's not retro as such. But Tiny Troopers is a nice clone of Cannon Fodder. It's a little easy though.

Atari Greatest Hits is a full free download today only to celebrate their 40th anniversary. All 100 games stay free as long as you don't uninstall / wipe.

North vs South?!? Why did nobody tell me this was out!!

I've wanted this bringing back into my life for decades!

Is the Icade only compatible with certain games? It looks that way but I can't quite tell.

Aye it's only certain games, but it works well with some retro stuff like iMame, Atari Greatest Hits, and the ZX / C64 collections.

What's the easiest way to jail break an iPad 3? I remember you could just go to a website and swipe the lock screen once upon a time.

What's the easiest way to jail break an iPad 3? I remember you could just go to a website and swipe the lock screen once upon a time.

http://greenpois0n.com

its stupidly easy.. (although you download a program to unlock)

What are the advantages of Jailbreaking an ipad? (sorry if this is a really daft question)

Well besides the obvious ( downloading of cracked IOS... bad bad) you have cydia which features tons of little hacks/themes/free games etc.

You can download emulators for most system (snes/megadrive/gameboy/mame/ps1 etc)

+1 for Majestyck - This better work on the iphone !

edit : It does and it's called "The Bluecoats". Pants are being shat.

There's Square (Enix) games, Final Fantasy I, II, III and Tactics, Chroni Trigger and Secret of Mana.

Seriously?

To the app store double quick - one of my favourite games of all time