The Daily Show Thread

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 amanset

amanset
  • Members
  • 10741 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

If only someone invented a way of speeding up recorded footage, a way to go forward fast, if you will.

My copy was being irritating with the ps3 over the network using ps3 media server, smartypants.

Anyway, three hours later I came to the conclusion that the rally was a wasted opportunity. Much as though I love him, including Colbert diluted the message IMHO. Every time Stewart seemed to be closing in on getting his point across Colbert interrupted with, surprisingly for Colbert, unfunny shenanigans.

#32 womblingfree

womblingfree
  • Members
  • 16334 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Sorry if there's another thread discussing this but I just found out very belatedly that the Daily Show's been axed four out of the five days it was on More4. I thought they were on an extended holiday. :angry:

A plague on More4's houses! Now, how the fuck can I watch it every day? The Daily download Show?

http://www.guardian....ly-show-stewart

#33 makkuwata

makkuwata
  • Members
  • 3420 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

The news-cycle outpaces the delay in broadcasting more times than not. It's far more effective to yarr.

#34 ben-k

ben-k
  • Members
  • 6615 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

What he said. My morning routine is generally Today while I'm getting up, then a swiftly rapidshared Daily Show over breakfast.

#35 womblingfree

womblingfree
  • Members
  • 16334 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

What he said. My morning routine is generally Today while I'm getting up, then a swiftly rapidshared Daily Show over breakfast.

That's the way forwards I suppose. Just got used to flopping out on the safa with me dinner to it over the years, now it'll be over the yarrs.

Posted Image

#36 Comrade

Comrade
  • Members
  • 13185 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

Michael Steel on the show the other night was incredible. Or rather incredibibble. He actually seems pretty decent when not held to the talking points as well.

#37 ben-k

ben-k
  • Members
  • 6615 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

Loved the Olbermann section last night. Made me want my own mini Olbermann clone.

#38 wavey

wavey
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

I'm a bit behind on the Daily Show, so I've only just seen Kristen Schaal's bit from last week, about the federal funding of abortions for rape victims. (Here if you can frig the county restrictions, I can't find it on Youtube.)

Basically, it's amazing. The conceit is that, thank God, the Republicans are finally closing the rape loophole in the health system by limiting funding to "forcible" rape. On the programme they take this and push it as far as it will go, and then a bit further. It even sounds like they are losing the audience at some points (you can hear them shouting "woah!"), like when they reclassify date rape as "rape with benefits".

The whole bit is uncomfortable and provocative in exactly the right way. The obvious moral fury underpinning it is fucking Swiftian.

Interestingly, the BBC report about the issue says:

But until last week, the language in Mr Smith's bill was "forcible rape", meaning the rape of drugged, unconscious or handicapped women for example might not be covered.

After an outcry from women's groups and a particularly cutting satirical sketch on late-night host Jon Stewart's programme, the Daily Show, the word forcible was dropped.

So anyway: *this* is how you do offensive comedy, Top Gear.

#39 Dapple

Dapple
  • Members
  • 2036 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

Jon Stewart vs. Donald Trump, Sarah Palin and...sub-standard pizza:

EDIT: Boo, they've taken the video down. It was great, trust me.

#40 RJames

RJames
  • Members
  • 15516 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

Is there any easy way to regularly watch this in the UK now?

#41 GViper

GViper
  • Members
  • 6226 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

4od have a "Daily Show Weekly Edition" which seems to be bits from the week's shows pasted together. Still amusing!

#42 Jack Walsh's coffee shop

Jack Walsh's coffee shop
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

So it turns out that the episode they did last week, covering Cameron's questioning by Parliment about phone hacking and his ties to Murdock and his people, wasn't able to be show on More4. Here's why:

http://glinner.poste...thing-i-found-t

Extract:

...politicians in the UK and Ireland are protected from satirical TV programs by the law? But only if they're for national consumption? REALLY?

This means that the The Daily Show writers can make fun of the UK using Parliamentary footage, but satirists in the UK can't!

This being from Graham Linehan's twitter and jousting with Ch4 on the matter. To which I have to say:

:hat:

Here's the official UK broadcast guidelines on this.

I remember Charlie Brooker covered this when I wanted to use footage of Blair during the inquiry into the war. Legally he wasn't allowed to.

So here's the link to the item on The Daily Show's website.

That hopefully isn't something that OFFCOM can cockblock.

#43 Liamness

Liamness
  • Supporters
  • 11384 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

I posted a link earlier in the thread, but here it is again;

https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/5948/

I currently use 66.157.0.1 and it works, though the ads can sometimes refuse to load. If you have adblock installed as well, then the ads will skip anyway, but I think that's a bit rich.

Don't make me post it a fourth time. :hmm:

Also I hear these torrent things work quite well.

#44 Nick R

Nick R
  • Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

More4 aren't likely to show weeknight editions again any time soon, and while they're not, neither can anyone else.

#45 Darragh

Darragh
  • Members
  • 15446 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Note for people using the Netflix DNS trick to access the US library: the DNS workaround also functions on Hulu, where you can watch the most recent 13 (I think) episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, which I don't think has aired over here since 2009. Yay!

#46 Liamness

Liamness
  • Supporters
  • 11384 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Guests this week; Kofi Annan, Salman Rushdie, Pink, Bill Clinton. Spot the odd one out!

#47 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • Members
  • 1445 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

However, the Pink episode does have the brilliant CHAOS ON BULLSHIT MOUNTAIN segment:

#48 sexton_hardcastle

sexton_hardcastle
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Who would have thought Bill Clinton would love video games!

I bet he like Leisure Suit Larry.

#49 Comrade

Comrade
  • Members
  • 13185 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Daily Show news!

http://www.avclub.co...the-dail,93307/

Basically Jon is taking the entire summer off to direct a film about Iran. A distinctly non-funny sounding film as well. And John Oliver will be taking over the show for 8 of the 12 weeks he'll be gone. That's pretty crazy,

#50 Jack Walsh's coffee shop

Jack Walsh's coffee shop
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Think he's the most compatible member of the cast to fill in for him. Would imagine they're already doing dry runs of how he'll be hosting the show. Does a great job with the Bugle podcast, so I am optimistic.

I wonder how Dave Gorman took this news though?

#51 Rorschach

Rorschach
  • Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Sounds amazing, both the film and the idea of John hosting such a long stretch of episodes. They've got such a great group of people on the show at the minute, I can't imagine the writing or the quality of the bits will suffer. Maybe the interviews won't be as good, but they were always the weakest part of the show anyway. He'll probably have less time for The Bugle, my hope is he can make some excuse to get Zaltzman on the show.

I think Sam Bee or Jason Jones could've possibly hosted, and may have been more suitable (would've LOVED to see Sam do it), but I get the impression they have a lot going on outside of the show.

#52 Jack Walsh's coffee shop

Jack Walsh's coffee shop
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

The thing that John Oliver did last night.

:lol:

It's at 2:50 mark on this video.

Will try and see if anyone has a clip of just that somewhere on Youtube.

PS. Anyone know how to embed this HTML5 videos in these posts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users