DS RPG

• Please log in to reply
538 replies to this topic

#1 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2753 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

The fifth-generation Pokémon game has been announced! At least, the titles for the next generation have been announced -- Pokémon Black and White are the next pair of Pokémon games, to be released this fall on DS in Japan. Nintendo's going for relatively simple colors after things like "HeartGold" and "Pearl." And ... that's pretty much all we know. Of course, given the way the series works, we can all kind of guess exactly how this will play. Or maybe not: a note on the Pokemon home page promises that "every aspect will be reborn innovatively," according to our translation.

The first new creature from this generation has already been revealed as a sort of teaser: Zoroark, the Monster Fox Pokémon. The teaser site indicates that we'll know more April 15.

Joystiq

#2 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27767 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

We're still getting the same 2D graphics palette right?

And we still won't be able to skip battle messages.

#3 Choo

Choo
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

Not 3DS :lol: !

#4 Steven

Steven
  • Members
  • 4504 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

Not 3DS :wub: !

I'd imagine squeezing another one out and then several 3DS rehashes will prove more popular with the bank.

#5 Broker

Broker
  • Members
  • 13104 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

It needs to be just like FFXII, with wild pokemon dynamically appearing in areas and you being able to pre script the AI for each monster and deploy them, then observe and wait to catch the fucker. Also needs a climbing/jumping mechanic for exploring dangerous territory for uber pokemon.

#6 vcassano

vcassano
  • Members
  • 1265 posts

The 3rd version will be 3DS exclusive, I'd imagine. As they did with Crystal.

#7 Kelthink

Kelthink
  • Members
  • 16209 posts

I hope Peter Molyneux is somehow involved.

#8 JLM

JLM
  • Supporters
  • 5155 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

I like the Zorua design quite a bit. I want one. More interested to see what the starters are like though.

#9 RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny
  • Supporters
  • 17413 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

Pokemon hasn't quite reached the point, like Zelda has, where it needs to innovate for me yet, I guess it's because it's not something that's been produced on multiple platforms, and because small changes to the battle system, such as the Physical/Special split in move types in Gen IV, has huge effects on the gameplay, whereas small changes in Zelda, like giving Link a downstab, doesn't.

Watching with interest regardless.

#10 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27767 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Pokémon Slapper!

#11 Number 28

Number 28
  • Members
  • 13005 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

And we still won't be able to skip battle messages.

Playing on an emulator with a fast-forward button FTW! :wub:

Seriously though, every JRPG ever would probably benefit from one...or being designed better in the first place of course.

#12 lovemonkey uk

lovemonkey uk
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

"want to catch a pokemon? Now you will actually have to throw your DS! The harder you throw it, the higher the chance of catching it! Just like a real pokemon!"

I thought the amount of exclamations was necessary. :wub:

#13 Broker

Broker
  • Members
  • 13104 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

"My new Pokemon game is going to have a system wherby your pokemon's appearance will change depending on how nice you are to them, and you're appearance will change as well. It will also totally realistically simulate karma, and the weather, and the actions of over a million cpu controlled pokemon, and it will reach out of your DS and beat you off and the new legendaries are Jimi Hendrix and GOD"

#14 Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex
  • Members
  • 5276 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

So it's Black and White? Does this mean they have separate toilets?

#15 sir stiff_one

sir stiff_one
  • Supporters
  • 38033 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

So it's Black and White? Does this mean they have separate toilets?

Yeah, and it's a nightmare when they have to travel in separate pokebuses to the tournament.

#16 Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex
  • Members
  • 5276 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Posted Image

#17 JLM

JLM
  • Supporters
  • 5155 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

They're set in a world where "Dark Type" is still an acceptable term, so what do you expect?

#18 Jab

Jab
  • Members
  • 6880 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

Pokemon gets me excited like I'm 12 again, can't wait for more info.

Also absolutely loving that MLK card, might have to print it off and play with it. :lol:

#19 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1626 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Pokemon hasn't quite reached the point, like Zelda has, where it needs to innovate for me yet, I guess it's because it's not something that's been produced on multiple platforms, and because small changes to the battle system, such as the Physical/Special split in move types in Gen IV, has huge effects on the gameplay, whereas small changes in Zelda, like giving Link a downstab, doesn't.

Watching with interest regardless.

Aye, i've been playing SoulSilver and noticing that, despite the changes being small, the game feels and plays very differently to Silver.

Not to mention that every Pokemon with the exception of Ruby/Sapphire has had a lot of care and attention gone into it. ;)

#20 vcassano

vcassano
  • Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

Aye, i've been playing SoulSilver and noticing that, despite the changes being small, the game feels and plays very differently to Silver.

Not to mention that every Pokemon with the exception of Ruby/Sapphire has had a lot of care and attention gone into it. ;)

To be fair R/S/E had a huge amount of work go into it - it introduced natures/evs/ivs which are very big in the metagame but not very visible to less dedicated players. It also had double battles, which are great and under-used. he problems it had where a lack of in-game clock and a lack of Pokemon available. The world and Pokemon design was actually very strong, in my opinion.

#21 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1626 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

To be fair R/S/E had a huge amount of work go into it - it introduced natures/evs/ivs which are very big in the metagame but not very visible to less dedicated players. It also had double battles, which are great and under-used. he problems it had where a lack of in-game clock and a lack of Pokemon available. The world and Pokemon design was actually very strong, in my opinion.

Good points on the others but that little fault sticks out for me the most. The clock was one of the best aspects of G/S/C. Introduced quite a variety of playstyles and how to approach catching Pokemon. Loved the fact that you could catch a Lapras each Friday in Silver and Gold.

#22 sprite

sprite
  • Members
  • 7586 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

Posted Image

I like the Zorua design quite a bit. I want one. More interested to see what the starters are like though.

I don't really like the hairband/pony tail thing it's got going on though! It could've at least co-ordinated and used a red one.

#23 Rob Rule

Rob Rule
  • Members
  • 18820 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

'Every aspect reborn'? Ohoho. I bet not. Better not! ;)

#24 Smitty

Smitty
  • Members
  • 68906 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

'Every aspect reborn'? Ohoho. I bet not. Better not! ;)

But srsly tho, when are they going to really mix things up?

#25 vcassano

vcassano
  • Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

But srsly tho, when are they going to really mix things up?

Do they need to? I certainly don't think so. Plus there has been plenty of changes throughout the series.

#26 Choo

Choo
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

No they don't need to, they could keep churning out the same money making formula every time, and they will do. Doesn't mean they should though.

The changes i would like to see are more in line with the final fantasy series. Playing around with active time bars, putting monsters in-world, fresh restyling of the universe etc. Not little alterations like separating special attack and attack. The fundamental mechanics of the pokemon series really haven't changed much; it's still turned based with 4 moves per pokemon, you see a back view sprite of your poke vs a front view sprite of the other dude's (with the occasional wobble). There's loads of room for really changing the battle mechanics whilst still keeping the 'gotta catch 'em all' core concept intact.

#27 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9350 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

I do enjoy the pokemon games but I do feel that they can improve the battle system at least a little bit to make it more exciting. I know it's aimeed at kids so it won't ever get too crazy but they can surely do a bit more with it without making it prohibitively complicated. Or even just having a tutorial as optional could work.

I also have to admit that although it's not important to the game it does need a bit more umph in regards to graphical effects and stuff, Soul Silver looks almost identical to the GBA one (from memory at least.) The battle graphics are pretty boring generally and I'm not saying we should have cut scene type summons a la FF but it could definitely use a little spruce up.

#28 vcassano

vcassano
  • Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

I also have to admit that although it's not important to the game it does need a bit more umph in regards to graphical effects and stuff, Soul Silver looks almost identical to the GBA one (from memory at least.) The battle graphics are pretty boring generally and I'm not saying we should have cut scene type summons a la FF but it could definitely use a little spruce up.

If you mean in-battle, then perhaps, but in the overworld they are improved hugely.

But yes, increased animation would be fantastic in the game. Plus more customisation in regards to your character.

#29 joffocakes

joffocakes
  • Supporters
  • 10849 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

I just want to be able to walk diagonally. :blink:

#30 carlospie

carlospie
  • Members
  • 2535 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

I hope to god they dont make it like FF at all, I enjoy pokemon how it is.

I would really like the story fleshing out, like the cartoon used to be, where you can be doing one thing and then go off on some batshit random quest. Would also like a bit more depth and character to the people you meet, like back stories etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS, RPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users