3DS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22203 replies to this topic

#18691 Nathan Wind

Nathan Wind
  • Supporters
  • 3336 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Nah, I've never really played any of the cartoony golf games bar Pangya on the PC, so that doesn't bother me a jot. I think I'll give it a go, cheers! The only thing holding me back was the consistent grumbling about lag and lock-ups through all the reviews.

#18692 deKay

deKay
  • Supporters
  • 34199 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Nah, I've never really played any of the cartoony golf games bar Pangya on the PC, so that doesn't bother me a jot. I think I'll give it a go, cheers! The only thing holding me back was the consistent grumbling about lag and lock-ups through all the reviews.

I've none of those problems in 20 hours play.

#18693 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31382 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Rolling Western is hard....

#18694 shynra

shynra
  • Supporters
  • 3393 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

What, how, who?'

Didn't check the zone, I forgot :P I just tried the trick but it didn't work :( still no content via the trick. The trick is copy paste:

All you have to do is change your home network's SSID to "attwifi" and leave it unsecured. Turn on your 3DS and there you go, you're connected to Nintendo Zone.

This will also work if you have one of those smart phones that double as a wifi hotspot. Just set the SSID to "attwifi" and leave it unsecured. When you stop broadcasting your phone, your 3DS will revert back automatically to your home wifi. This is more convenient as you don't have to change any of your router settings and leave your home network open.

#18695 Eddie

Eddie
  • Members
  • 6863 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, it's pretty good. If you don't mind the fact Let's Golf is just a ripoff of Hot Shots Golf...

Is this a DSWare game, or a full on 3DS game?

#18696 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15338 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thanks Shynra I tried it with my iPhone but couldn't work out how to change the security on it.

#18697 shynra

shynra
  • Supporters
  • 3393 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Is this a DSWare game, or a full on 3DS game?

3ds ware type game so download only but only on 3ds and made for 3ds.

@stanley sorry cannot help on Android, when it works the ds will automatically connect and downloads the Nintendo zone channel,you then access the channel and view content, will edit and add YouTube vid.

Edit: vid mobile format : http://m.youtube.com...dF9RdXHTY&gl=GB

#18698 gilly

gilly
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

I just got a 3ds as a bday pressie and I'm about to play Zelda - I'm quite excited and chuffed :)

#18699 mrpranny

mrpranny
  • Members
  • 1659 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Happy birthday! :hat:

#18700 Avuncular

Avuncular
  • Supporters
  • 11084 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'm due a playthrough of OOT. Haven't played it this year.

#18701 Nathan Wind

Nathan Wind
  • Supporters
  • 3336 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

I stuck a few quid on the estore yesterday for the first time ever, despite owning a DSi. I've picked up Let's Golf, Zen Pinball and 3D Space Tank so far - the latter of which is brilliant. It takes me right back to playing the likes of Driller and Battlezone.

#18702 shirubagan

shirubagan
  • Members
  • 11021 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Didn't realise that nowhere in Central London is planning on stocking Bit.Trip Saga.

Is Ł36.99 the cheapest pre-order price out there?

#18703 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31382 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I wish Rayman Origins would hurry up and get out. It's available everywhere else. I can get it for 15 quid on the PS3 but I want to play it on my daily bus journeys. Screenshots released so far have me suspicious - as I don't believe they are 3DS shots for some reason.

Posted Image

#18704 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15338 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Didn't realise that nowhere in Central London is planning on stocking Bit.Trip Saga.

Is Ł36.99 the cheapest pre-order price out there?

I can't help you there but this is the reason Nintendo should introduce retail titles to the eshop. Having to worry about titles becoming rare when they've only just been released, or problems with retailers should be a thing of the past, and is on other portable systems. 3DS has the infrastructure to do this now, and the by far the cheapest storage solution.

They should also get the DS back catalogue on there. This drip-feed approach of Gameboy titles isn't enough.

I can't think of one reason why they are not doing this already other than being stubbornly.

#18705 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15338 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I wish Rayman Origins would hurry up and get out. It's available everywhere else. I can get it for 15 quid on the PS3 but I want to play it on my daily bus journeys. Screenshots released so far have me suspicious - as I don't believe they are 3DS shots for some reason.

Posted Image

when is it out?

#18706 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31382 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

I can't help you there but this is the reason Nintendo should introduce retail titles to the eshop. Having to worry about titles becoming rare when they've only just been released, or problems with retailers should be a thing of the past, and is on other portable systems. 3DS has the infrastructure to do this now, and the by far the cheapest storage solution.

They should also get the DS back catalogue on there. This drip-feed approach of Gameboy titles isn't enough.

I can't think of one reason why they are not doing this already other than being stubbornly.

this, high five, and more this.

Usability wise, the eShop is leagues ahead of the PSN store... but day one for the Vita and already the PSN store trumps the eShop on breadth available. The 3DS supports cheap storage - I want to be able to download games directly to it and have them always available.

I do think that they'll do this over the lifecycle of the machine... but they're still balancing their relationship with retail.

On Rayman Origins - it's due out next month, but there hasn't been a single 3DS specific preview of it, which concerns me.

#18707 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15338 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

I do think that they'll do this over the lifecycle of the machine... but they're still balancing their relationship with retail.

I think they mentioned something about it recently, but it could have been for Wii U, can't remember.

I don't really think it will affect their relationship with retailers. The kind of people who download full price games for consoles are still very much in a minority, and probably types like us who buy most of their games online anyway.

#18708 Massive Invisible Dog

Massive Invisible Dog
  • Members
  • 16150 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Usability wise, the eShop is leagues ahead of the PSN stors

That is definitely not true, although the PSN store is far from perfect on PS3 and Vita.

#18709 utopastac

utopastac
  • Supporters
  • 3304 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Usability wise, the eShop is leagues ahead of the PSN store...

Hmmm! I just don't get it! what kind of crazy cognitive bias makes people say such things?

#18710 Hellcock

Hellcock
  • Supporters
  • 11420 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

What's the typical size of a 3DS game? mb/gb wise?

#18711 Danster

Danster
  • Members
  • 8131 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

What's the Rayman game that is out on the 3DS now like? Was thiniing of getting it for 'er indoors.

#18712 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20561 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

What's the typical size of a 3DS game? mb/gb wise?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=145313

#18713 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31382 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

yes - actually - in hindsight - my eShop comment was daft. I do like the way the eShop has the ability to provide little 3D videos and stuff and the way it mixes up its little recommendations and groupings every week or so to draw your attention to older games.

but yes - it was a bit daft. Sorry!!

#18714 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20561 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

The Nintendo eShop needs a lot of work, it tries to take the Wii style and cram it on the 3DS. Honestly it needs to give you a stripped down version or allow you to browse on your computer. I want to be able to see all demos quickly, to have a list I can quickly add titles to my watch list (I don't bother with it any more because it's such a hassle) and as interesting as their categories are, at least let us customise what we want to see as soon as we go on the eShop.

#18715 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31382 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

The Nintendo eShop needs a lot of work, it tries to take the Wii style and cram it on the 3DS. Honestly it needs to give you a stripped down version or allow you to browse on your computer. I want to be able to see all demos quickly, to have a list I can quickly add titles to my watch list (I don't bother with it any more because it's such a hassle) and as interesting as their categories are, at least let us customise what we want to see as soon as we go on the eShop.

I believe they're going to provide a web page version that will allow you to download the game with a QR code... I'm sure they said this recently.

#18716 Hellcock

Hellcock
  • Supporters
  • 11420 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

http://gonintendo.com/?p=145313

I wouldn't be too happy having to download 8gb sized games..

#18717 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15338 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

I doubt many will be that big. Things like Mario Kart, Mario Land etc probably well under 1.5 gb.

#18718 Hellcock

Hellcock
  • Supporters
  • 11420 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Nice.

#18719 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20561 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

I believe they're going to provide a web page version that will allow you to download the game with a QR code... I'm sure they said this recently.

A QR code? Really? Why can't they just have a persistent ID and be done with it? Have one that you link your Friend Codes to so you can see all your Wii/3DS/Wii U stuff in one place. And not shit yourself if your console dies. Keep it to one machine one licence if you must, whatever, I don't expect much from Nintendo but for the love of God move forward. Not saying MS and Sony are perfect but for fuck's sake, at least I can log into the Xbox site and queue downloads or sort out my account without needing to faff with a controller.

I kinda wish none of them had bothered with the internet, the implementation is just frustrating. Honestly, PC gaming is looking far more attractive, just wish I had a gaming PC.

I found a thread on gbatemp's forums with some educated speculation. Most were under the impression that any large file sizes would be extremely rare. Look at the Vita, something like Uncharted is just over 3 gigs so I'd doubt something like Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars would be a mammoth download. IIRC the roms for Gamecube games were around 1-2 gigs so if that's the level we're hoping for, most games would be at that size range?

#18720 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 3129 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

I must admit it's strange there's been no previews for Rayman Origins.

What I'd say would be causing them the most headaches would be the comparatively low screen resolution of the 3ds. The game seems to be built completely around lovingly recreating cartoon animation and effects.

Downsizing it for the 3ds could knock out a lot of the visual fidelity of the title. That screenshot for example, the little yellow chaps arms, the blue guys arms/tongue/eyes etc etc, they'd all be for the chop. Or at the least need heavy retouching, which means more time and expense...which of course we all know publishers love giving...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3DS

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)