3DS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22203 replies to this topic

#61 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9054 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

The 3D display technology this will probably use seems to be entering a fairly mature state now:

KDDI had a prototype back in 2008, and Hitachi showed one recently:

http://gizmodo.com/5...le-phone-screen
http://www.theinquir...-3d-mobile-tips

even if it was just Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda level technology, would still be pretty novel :(

If they combined the 3D screen with that eye-tracking compensation technology, they'd even be able to fix the viewing angle problem of no-3D glasses screens.

#62 Jonathan_Kerr

Jonathan_Kerr
  • Members
  • 2950 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Good name. Does what it says on the tin and retains the powerful DS brand.

#63 toythatkills

toythatkills
  • Members
  • 11138 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

Can anyone think of a way that 3D might actually enhance gameplay, or create a new experience beyond what 2D can offer?

Why would a game ever need more than four colours?

So, can you?

#64 Destruktofraz

Destruktofraz
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

I can't help being sceptical about this, but I was 'WTF' about the DS too when that was announced. Shows what I know.

If anyone can pull this off it's good ol' Uncle Ninty (who's fallen out of favour recently, but that's just temporary - he is family after all).

#65 Liamness

Liamness
  • Supporters
  • 11539 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

What the massve fuck. Really low-key announcement. You'd think they'd hold off till they had a demo unit, to show it off in all it's shinyness. Maybe they just want us to sweat over it, which must mean they're confident the actual unit will live up to our expectations. Not massively sure I'm down with the whole 3D thing; the poor tegra chip is going to be rendering two screens, one of which will be 3D? In processing terms, that's 3 'screens' to sync each cycle. Could help give a perception of depth and drama to the small screen, though. I was hoping they'd move away from carts and just use download tech... oh well.

I'm getting one, lol.

#66 FamicomFist

FamicomFist
  • Members
  • 1600 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

This is why Nintendo is at the top, genius :(

#67 Mr Cochese

Mr Cochese
  • Members
  • 24584 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

So, can you?

Can I What? Dance?

Yeah, I suppose I can alright for a white guy.

#68 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9054 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

Can anyone think of a way that 3D might actually enhance gameplay, or create a new experience beyond what 2D can offer?

See the demo for Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda, a DSiWare JPN exclusive, uses 3D in an interesting way (though it really relies on the camera to work).

#69 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26249 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

When is e3 this year? June again?

Yeah June 15th or so.

Also: This thing is being releasedMarch 2011 at the latest (so it could still come earlier)

#70 moora

moora
  • Members
  • 2137 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

See the demo for Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda, a DSiWare JPN exclusive, uses 3D in an interesting way (though it really relies on the camera to work).

As long as the 3D screens have a decent range of angle to show the 3D effect, I could imagine the camera in the 3DS will be used for head tracking (along with, maybe, inbuilt motion control).

I also hope this is backwards compatible.... unless the 3D screens will not work with games that aren't designed for it, then I guess backwards compatibility may be lost.

#71 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24006 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Indeed, and can you imagine Cubello? And for all those of you worried about buying a DSi, XL or whatever - we are not going to see this here until Christmas 2011 earliest.

If there is enough for them to talk about at E3, I would suspect Christmas 2010 in Japan, Easter 2011 in the UK. US along with one of them, depending on how many they've got.

Simply because they wouldn't want a year and a half of people saying "Well, I'll wait for the 3D one..." as that would hit their sales. A bit.

#72 Super Craig

Super Craig
  • Members
  • 11905 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

What the massve fuck. Really low-key announcement. You'd think they'd hold off till they had a demo unit, to show it off in all it's shinyness. Maybe they just want us to sweat over it, which must mean they're confident the actual unit will live up to our expectations. Not massively sure I'm down with the whole 3D thing; the poor tegra chip is going to be rendering two screens, one of which will be 3D? In processing terms, that's 3 'screens' to sync each cycle. Could help give a perception of depth and drama to the small screen, though. I was hoping they'd move away from carts and just use download tech... oh well.

I'm getting one, lol.

Both screens could be 3D for all we know.

#73 shynra

shynra
  • Members
  • 3374 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

Seems to be the same tactic they did with DS and Wii... release a 'Leak' of new way to play/new idea, this is to prepare people for it and get them thinking / accept it - instead of a big E3 unveiling where we might not get/understand the possibilities right away and just booooo000 it :(

#74 Teeohbee

Teeohbee
  • Members
  • 2742 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

With all this 3D stuff in mvoies and games nowadays, I wish i had two perfectly functioning eyes :(

#75 Kebabilicious

Kebabilicious
  • Members
  • 2269 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Man, this could be very interesting. Really not sure what to make of this yet, but it certainly could be interesting. 2011? Seems fairly close for another console, no?

#76 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15185 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

If there is enough for them to talk about at E3, I would suspect Christmas 2010 in Japan, Easter 2011 in the UK. US along with one of them, depending on how many they've got.

Simply because they wouldn't want a year and a half of people saying "Well, I'll wait for the 3D one..." as that would hit their sales. A bit.

The press release appears to refer to a 3rd quarter 2011 release though, doesn't it, rather than 03 '11?

#77 moora

moora
  • Members
  • 2137 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

Actually, they're now saying it is backwards compatible with the DS/DSi... hmmm.... that's going to be interesting in how those games work with the 3D effect- I take it that you can't actually turn the 3D on or off? Unless they're going to do some kind of crazy Gameboy Color/Super Gameboy trick where they have "upgrade" data stored on the device (or in this case you have to download it), so when you play an old game it magically gets 3D-ified. Or something.

#78 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 36402 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

Isn't 3D kind of pointless on a tiny little screen which you are required to tap, thus destroying any illusion of depth?

Regardless, they'll sell ten bajillion of them and grimy little toads will proclaim 3D to be good. Bleurgh.

#79 silique

silique
  • Members
  • 2986 posts

So, it's not the case the two screens combine in some way to produce the 3D effect? One screen is a 3D screen? I assumed it would be like a non-headache inducing version of those things that you stare at for half an hour and see a hidden picture when your eyes defocus.

#80 Super Craig

Super Craig
  • Members
  • 11905 posts

The press release appears to refer to a 3rd quarter 2011 release though, doesn't it, rather than 03 '11?

It's not a press release. It's for investors, so they're obviously talking about the financial year.

EDIT: It actually says it will release "during the fiscal year ending March 2011". http://www.nintendo....010/100323e.pdf

#81 Nnooo

Nnooo
  • Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Nintendogs where your puppy comes out of the screen (ie lay screen on table, puppy stands out of it) anyone? Use the cameras to track your hands and you can ruffle the little tykes fur :(

#82 b00dles

b00dles
  • Members
  • 9343 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

Nintendogs where your puppy comes out of the screen (ie lay screen on table, puppy stands out of it) anyone? Use the cameras to track your hands and you can ruffle the little tykes fur :(

Like that eyepet thing?

Hmm... Interesting... Some sort of ARG potential could be novelty.

#83 moora

moora
  • Members
  • 2137 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

Excellent....

And a million "Imagine Babyz" type games where Peter O'Phile can do the same with kiddies.

#84 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15185 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

It's not a press release. It's for investors, so they're obviously talking about the financial year.

Ah ok that makes sense. So the 2011 financial year actually begins April 2010, making 3rd qtr around Christmas?

#85 Rev

Rev
  • Members
  • 24006 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

Ah ok that makes sense. So the 2011 financial year actually begins April 2010, making 3rd qtr around Christmas?

O HAI.

#86 Nnooo

Nnooo
  • Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

BTW I am just speculating. Today's announcement is as much of a surprise to us as anyone else (although a colleague and I were discussing literally days ago how 3d lcd tech is really cheap and maybe Nintendo might pick it up...).

It is my understanding that these sorts of displays can do normal 2d too so old games (or games which dont want to use 3d) can just turn off the 3d component.

Read this for some info on one way of doing it:

http://sysdoc.doors....IDRC_00_P45.pdf

#87 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15185 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

Even just used cosmetically this could add a new sense of immersion in games. Consider Link's spin attack in proper 3D, for example.

And I'm assuming the new machine will have an accelerometer so Super Monkey Ball 3D with tilt contols?

3D Tetris?

#88 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 51113 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

At the risk of stating the obvious, this implies a 3D input system, perhaps via a distance-sensing stylus. To state the even-more-obvious, the Wii already has a 3D input system, and given that people are already used to having a "sensor bar" under their TV, its successor would be an excellent trojan horse for 3D gaming, using the bar as a tranceiver to the shutter glasses.

#89 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9054 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

The official English PR only mentions this:

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

the wording of 3D effects is interesting, but I don't see why that means it makes use of a 3D input system aswell, but we'll have to wait 3 months to find out. 3D top screen with standard touch screen on the bottom (otherwise I have no idea how it can remain backwards compatible with all previous DS iterations).

If this has the rumoured DS2's graphics power and motion controls :(

#90 Staplehead!

Staplehead!
  • Members
  • 15552 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

We're all going to be laughing when they reveal it has the graphical capabilities of a NES.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3DS

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users