• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 ICECOLD

ICECOLD
  • Members
  • 2924 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

UPDATE - 22nd March

The plan is to have the Halo 2 Farewell Weekend on Saturday 10th - Sunday 11th April.

Someone (in all likelehood Gaz) will set up a communal Halo 2 Rllmuk gamertag so everyone can see who's online, and we'll put together an agreed list of gametype/map combinations in readiness to mean minimal fussing in the Custom Game lobby.

Can't see it being especially hardcore competitive, more a bit of a laugh really; see who's online, get some teams together and have a blast - that's the plan!

If everyone who's up for this posts their gamertag I'll collate them into a list on this first post. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gamertags

Communal Tag (add to see who's online): rlmh2

IC3COLD
Wahwah UK
Mr Benn
Capn XBOKS
strawd0nkey
merman1974
Yawdib
Kropotkin
donrosco
MW Jimmy

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft are discontinuing Xbox Live compatability for original Xbox titles on April 15th.

As such, Halo 2's online multiplayer - the title that changed the way we play console shooters - will be no more.

We need to give it one big sendoff. One final goodbye.

One last OORAH.

Gaz and I propose we pick a weekend in March or the start of April, set up a special commemorative gamertag so everyone can see who's online, then go at it like a laser sword carrying Spartan at a Grunt farm.

We're thinking everything from team-based slayer to FFA, BTB to multi-team objective gametypes, on all of the maps that made Halo 2 great, and to this day overshadow Halo 3.

And, of course, Catch the Sticky.

Who's with us?

Multiplayer to end on April 15.
xbox live - MS to discontinue LIVE for original...

Microsoft has announced that on April 15 it will discontinue the Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox consoles and games, including Xbox games playable on Xbox 360 and Xbox Originals.

"I want to start by saying this isn't a decision we made lightly, but after careful consideration, it is clear this will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community," said Marc Whitten, General Manager, Xbox LIVE.

"Thereís no greater example of the power of the Xbox LIVE community than the Halo franchise. Halo 2 has had an amazing run on LIVE, with a dedicated community more than five years after launch and well into the next generation of consoles. It has fundamentally changed the way we play video games," said Whitten. "And while itís difficult to see that run come to an end, the Halo franchise continues to act as the benchmark for multiplayer gaming in this generation, with Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST and soon Halo: Reach on Xbox 360."

Whitten continued: "To reach our aspiration, we need to make changes to the service that are incompatible with our original Xbox v1 games. We will contact the Xbox LIVE members directly impacted by this change and if this includes you, I encourage you to check your LIVE messages and associated e-mail account over the coming weeks for more details and opportunities. We view you as a partner in this process."

Whitten concluded by promising that "the best is yet to come for Xbox LIVE" and gamers will "look back on 2010 as a landmark year in gaming and home entertainment".

http://www.videogame...xbox_games.html

#2 strawdonkey

strawdonkey
  • Supporters
  • 8207 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

Sounds good to me.

#3 merman

merman
  • Members
  • 4884 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

I'd be interested in that

#4 XBOKS

XBOKS
  • Moderators
  • 1897 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

In. Am very sad about this :angry:

#5 dan_tm

dan_tm
  • Members
  • 21413 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:57 AM

Catch the Sticky.

YES.

#6 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 50773 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Count me in. Especially if there's Noshi.

#7 Jon

Jon
  • Members
  • 11131 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

Have you all read this article?

Luckily I've got all the maps, but if MS don't sort it I can imagine a lot of you won't get chance to play it again.

#8 Kropotkin

Kropotkin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

I'd like to take part. I still have the game and my original XBox and all of the maps as well come to think of it. Actually I believe that was the last bit of DLC I ever bought for the original XBox :P

#9 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12043 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

Have you all read this article?

Luckily I've got all the maps, but if MS don't sort it I can imagine a lot of you won't get chance to play it again.

Ouch! Thankfully I downloaded them all a few months ago.

#10 Gaz

Gaz
  • Members
  • 18894 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

oh FFS. I still have my original xbox but it won't boot games without the chip turned on.. I'll have to see if I have the maps on my 360 HDD but it is unlikely.

#11 Preacher

Preacher
  • Members
  • 7645 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

I expect there's a number of us (myself included) in possession of the multiplayer map pack disc, which could be distributed in a 360 transfer cable stylee, if necessary. It doesn't have the last two maps, but they were a bit shit anyway.

#12 Jon

Jon
  • Members
  • 11131 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

I expect there's a number of us (myself included) in possession of the multiplayer map pack disc, which could be distributed in a 360 transfer cable stylee, if necessary. It doesn't have the last two maps, but they were a bit shit anyway.

But you need ALL the maps to play in any of the playlists apparently. It's a fuck up!

#13 Preacher

Preacher
  • Members
  • 7645 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

It's likely we'll have to make do with custom matches, in which case. That ain't so bad, is it?

#14 MW_Jimmy

MW_Jimmy
  • Supporters
  • 6486 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

A few of the playlists can be done without the last map pack (including Big Team Battle) so even though its a fuck-up, its not much of an issue.

#15 Gaz

Gaz
  • Members
  • 18894 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

We will all be doing custom games for this anyway.

Lets get a list of people who need the maps and start a chain going so we are all sorted for march.

#16 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 50773 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

I dunno, I'd like us to have at least some Matchmaking games. We should go out the way we started: being shottied in the face by standbying American teenagers calling us all tea-drinking fags.

#17 Preacher

Preacher
  • Members
  • 7645 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

Apparently, all the DLC is back up.

#18 Jon

Jon
  • Members
  • 11131 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Apparently, all the DLC is back up.

Yeah, and that was a good couple of games we had, wasn't it?!

Jesus, matchmaking is full of people who have obviously not stopped playing since it came out, so switching back from Halo 3 made for some uncomfortable games. We got severely owned.

#19 Preacher

Preacher
  • Members
  • 7645 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, and that was a good couple of games we had, wasn't it?!

Jesus, matchmaking is full of people who have obviously not stopped playing since it came out, so switching back from Halo 3 made for some uncomfortable games. We got severely owned.

All the more reason to just do custom games, innit? But yeah, me and Jon had a couple of excruciating slayer games in matchmaking, topped off with some old-school abuse from a couple of American frat boys that left us both completely dumbfounded.

Thank god for Halo 3 and party chat.

#20 Don Rosco

Don Rosco
  • Moderators
  • 12043 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

All the more reason to just do custom games, innit?

Hell yeah. Customs are the best.

#21 strawdonkey

strawdonkey
  • Supporters
  • 8207 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thank god for Halo 3 and party chat.

I miss the late-night Halo 2 abuse sessions, especially Panda trying to get stupid people to say 'Malevolent'.

#22 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Supporters
  • 23451 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

Just got all the maps sorted and played a quick rumble pit game.

Swords. :lol:

#23 XBOKS

XBOKS
  • Moderators
  • 1897 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

So when are we doing this?

#24 Gaz

Gaz
  • Members
  • 18894 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

ICECOLD has gone and moved house and hasn't got internet sorted.

I'll get him to sort something out and update the thread. I would say 27/28 march or 10/11 april would be the best dates.

#25 ICECOLD

ICECOLD
  • Members
  • 2924 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

10-11th works best; ideal really as it's the very final weekend before the cutoff. I'll update the first post.

#26 ICECOLD

ICECOLD
  • Members
  • 2924 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

UPDATED!

Post yer gamertags below, peeps. ;)

#27 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Supporters
  • 23451 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

Wahwah UK

#28 Mr Ben

Mr Ben
  • Supporters
  • 11195 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Mr Benn

Feel free to kill me every time I respawn as I no doubt will be raped in every game seeing how crap I am :ph34r:

Hmm, is it possible to get all the maps now btw? I dont have my original Xbox setup so can I get them to work on the 360 or something? ;)

#29 ICECOLD

ICECOLD
  • Members
  • 2924 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

Mr Benn

Feel free to kill me every time I respawn as I no doubt will be raped in every game seeing how crap I am :ph34r:

Hmm, is it possible to get all the maps now btw? I dont have my original Xbox setup so can I get them to work on the 360 or something? ;)

There was an issue when they started modifying the servers that stopped the old maps being downloadable; it's something they said they'd recifty. Not sure if it has been so might be worth rooting around on bungie.net. I'll see what google turns up after work.

#30 Gaz

Gaz
  • Members
  • 18894 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Apparently you can download all the maps now. I need to remember to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users