Strategy PC

• Please log in to reply
532 replies to this topic

#31 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Well, part of the problem is that you're playing the vanilla game without expansions. In Nomine, the second expansion, made colonial tariff income dependent on navy size, for instance, and blockades become a lot more useful in terms of war score and driving up war exhaustion to make the enemy give in.

Your stuff about wars and diplomacy is sort of addressed in later expansions too, as they added a pretty comprehensive casus belli system for wars. Not to the full extent of what you want, but definitely an improvement on what was in EU3 vanilla.

#32 Gabe

Gabe
  • Members
  • 9769 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, I realise that I'm missing out on a fair bit. I may well give the expansions a go then.

#33 Garwoofoo

Garwoofoo
  • Members
  • 5235 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

Just be aware that the game has changed quite significantly over the course of expansion packs so that the demo experience is both significantly less user-friendly and lacking a lot of newer features.

Is that still the case? It's specifically a demo for EU3 Complete, which seems to include two out of three expansion packs.

I'll bear it in mind, though, thanks.

#34 Sirloin

Sirloin
  • Members
  • 11744 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

I wouldn't expect EU4 for a while as they'll be at least one more expansion for HoI3 to come after the one they are currently working on, as well as 1-2 for Victoria 2. And hopefully they'll do Crusader Kings 2 first as well.

#35 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

Is that still the case? It's specifically a demo for EU3 Complete, which seems to include two out of three expansion packs.

I'll bear it in mind, though, thanks.

I don't think the EU3 demo has ever been updated.

#36 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

So, EU3 'Complete' is half price, along with HoI3; I was going to get HoI3 as 2 was always one of those games I dipped in and out of and found myself playing for a ridiculous amount of time when I was into it, but reading this thread I guess I should give EU3 a spin? I've never played one before, but am quite experienced with wargames - I've played War in the Pacific, Combat Missions and the like - so I guess this would be the better purchase?

It won't overlap with my current N:TW obsession, will it? Obviously it seems a lot deeper, but I don't want to have two games eating into my time that are too similar.

#37 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

It's a completely different experience from Napoleon Total War, there'd be no overlap.

Avoid Hearts of Iron 3 like the plague but Arsenal of Democracy is worth getting - it's HoI2 redux with new features and new AI and bugs fixed and increased resolution options and so on.

#38 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Just opened EU3 and ran a mile. It also keeps crashing, so I bought Arsenal of Democracy to comfort myself.

#39 Garwoofoo

Garwoofoo
  • Members
  • 5235 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

The day after I started thinking about getting EU3, it dropped to half price, so I took that as a sign and bought it sight unseen. Once I finish with Total War I'll be jumping straight in.

#40 shock33

shock33
  • Members
  • 4877 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

Bear in mind complete doesn't included Heir to the Throne, and that isn't reduced at all which is annoying.

#41 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

Just opened EU3 and ran a mile. It also keeps crashing, so I bought Arsenal of Democracy to comfort myself.

Can't help you with the crashing but EU3 is probably the easiest Paradox game to get to grips with. Since the In Nomine expansion (which is included in Complete), everything has been tooltipped fantastically with clear and easy effects of all actions to be seen. It doesn't take long to get a handle on the basics, although the deepest features will take a lot of learning.

I recommend starting a 1399 game as Portugal. Aim to colonise and keep Castille (and later Spain) on-side. Don't ally with anyone that's not Castille/Spain at first, and always go to war if Castille/Spain asks you to. That'll keep you from being stomped by your much larger neighbour, and give you an almost free hand in colonisation. As Portugal you've got easy access to the Azores and the Canary Islands too if you're quick, so you have a real head start for exploration and colonisation.

#42 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

So I've been playing this a bit again, as Scotland with a 1399 start. I'm actually prospering with Scotland for the first time ever, helped somewhat by a large dose of luck. I decided to try what Robert the Bruce unsuccessfully attempted, to become High King of Ireland as well, so I invaded Ulster and claimed the throne of Munster to force them into a personal union with me. England took Leinster and Connaught but then France got into a war with the English and most of the English forces were overseas so I declared war and managed to take Cumbria, Northumberland, and the three English provinces in Ireland. Wales became independent through revolt, as did Cornwall, and in a later war I took Yorkshire (I'd got a core on it by event). I'm using settlement policies to turn Cumbria and Northumberland culturally Scottish.

I also took Orkney and Iceland off the Norwegians, and have established some colonies in Greenland, Newfoundland, and Labrador. I've been at war with England several times and they've suffered civil war and peasant revolts and have lost all their mainland European territory to France. The reformation kicked off and France has become Reformed, so I converted as well once it spread to Lothian. I've force-converted England to Reformed as well, though we'll see if that sticks or not.

It's currently 1518 and in the most recent war, Wales took Gloucestershire off England in the peace. In an earlier war I half thought of carving up England and giving Wessex to Cornwall and the three English border provinces to Wales, but the infamy cost scared me off.

Attached Files

#43 Garwoofoo

Garwoofoo
  • Members
  • 5235 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

EU3 crashes constantly for me too. The tutorial seems to bomb out to the desktop no matter what I do.

#44 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

Ah right the tutorial. Yeah the tutorials got horribly bugged with the first expansion and have never been fixed but honestly they're pretty shit anyway.

#45 shock33

shock33
  • Members
  • 4877 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

It's a completely different experience from Napoleon Total War, there'd be no overlap.

Avoid Hearts of Iron 3 like the plague but Arsenal of Democracy is worth getting - it's HoI2 redux with new features and new AI and bugs fixed and increased resolution options and so on.

You know what, I've been playing HoI3 a lot this week (and weekend) and after not touching it for ages, and I'm really enjoying it. The only thing that's really REALLY annoying is the tech tree (which is SHITE) and the slowness when the wars kick off proper. I even figured out how to use the HQs and theatres properly, though I'll confess I usually only let one loose at a time, too used to wanting to micro everything!

I think it sits quite well alongside HoI2 to be honest, and I'm looking forward to Semper Fi.

#46 Hackign

Hackign
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

My copy of EU3 seems to have fixed itself (unless there was a Steam update without me noticing). Finally getting to grips with the way things work in the same at last. France has weathered the religious shitfest of the 1500s so far and is now and Admin Republic.

#47 Hackign

Hackign
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Silly question, but how do I find out what the capital province of a country is? I spent about 10 years moving my armies around the world in preparation for my blitzreig attack on Portugal and they've moved their capital so I can't spam spies on it to get a CB. :OMG:

#48 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

It's shown with a crown around the owner flag.

The National Focus province has a kind of spiky wheel around the owner flag.

#49 Hackign

Hackign
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

It's shown with a crown around the owner flag.

The National Focus province has a kind of spiky wheel around the owner flag.

Thanks. Which view mode is that in btw? I'm usually stuck in Diplomatic border mode zoomed out. Is that whenI've clicked on a provence or just in the map view? Really don't want to click through most of Africa and the Americas.

#50 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Pretty much everyone plays in Political Mapmode, but the capital marker only shows up if you're zoomed in close enough to see the ownership flags on a province. Can't be zoomed out all the way.

#51 Sirloin

Sirloin
  • Members
  • 11744 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Political and Terrain map modes tend to be the most useful. Political so you can see stuff like the above, Terrain for fighting so you can avoid attacking into mountains/woods/swamps.

#52 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Religious mapmode is good fun for the Reformation. :OMG:

#53 Gabe

Gabe
  • Members
  • 9769 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

Right, I currently only have vanilla EUIII, and this thread has really got me thinking I should get EUIII Complete from Steam tonight for 25.

Now I know that it includes both expansions, but do you have to play one or the other, or can both be used at the same time? Because if they can't, is one expansion better than the other (I'm guessing HttT is the better of the two)?

#54 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

The expansions are cumulative and EU3 Complete just gives you one executable to run as far as I know. They're basically paid patches in how they're implemented.

EU3 Complete includes Napoleon's Ambition and In Nomine, but not Heir to the Throne since it was a package made last year before the most recent expansion.

e: Gamersgate are having a sale on right now, with EU3 Complete and Heir to the Throne both in the sale.

#55 Gabe

Gabe
  • Members
  • 9769 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

The expansions are cumulative and EU3 Complete just gives you one executable to run as far as I know. They're basically paid patches in how they're implemented.

EU3 Complete includes Napoleon's Ambition and In Nomine, but not Heir to the Throne since it was a package made last year before the most recent expansion.

e: Gamersgate are having a sale on right now, with EU3 Complete and Heir to the Throne both in the sale.

Thanks for the heads-up on that Gamersgate deal Rudi - 16 quid for everything is an absolute steal! Only had a chance to have a little time on it last night, but liking what I see.

I did notice on Steam that there is another expansion - For the Glory. Is it any good? I notice it isn't official.

#56 shock33

shock33
  • Members
  • 4877 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

For the Glory isn't an EU3 expansion, it's a modified and repackaged version of EU2

EDIT - Also, we should just turn this into the paradox game thread as there only seems to be about 5 of us who play them. Trailer for Victoria 2:

Map looks awesome, can't wait to get back to retrying the thankless task of getting Texas to survive!

#57 Gabe

Gabe
  • Members
  • 9769 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

Ah, I didn't realise it was EU2 based (not that it's a bad thing).

I wonder if they would ever fancy crafting a sci-fi EU-variant? I'm not actually sure if that would be a good thing or not though...

#58 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

The Hearts of Iron 3 expansion, Semper Fi, is now out for anyone who hates themselves and their computer enough to buy it.

#59 Gabe

Gabe
  • Members
  • 9769 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Is there any point in having a Personal Union as part of a peace treaty?

#60 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16931 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Oh yes. Personal Unions are great.

However you acquire them, you want to make sure you keep them. If the lesser partner in a union has a larger military than you, and/or more prestige, then they'll start sending you insults and the like and generally push relations down to the point where they'll become independent again on the death of the monarch. If you can avoid this, though, then there is a chance (which increases over time) that when your monarch dies - as long as you're at peace - then you might inherit the entire lesser partner. And get cores on the territory to boot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Strategy, PC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users