Rudi von Starnberg

Strategy Paradox Strategy Games Megathread

723 posts in this topic

But if they have a claim i could potentially go to war for these duchies?

You can't prosecute the claims of female members of your court, unless they themselves hold titles. If the claim will pass to their children, you could then press the claim on behalf of the kids (assuming they're male).

Doesn't matter, bitch died of typhus.

Betrothed my son to the prince of england's second daughter then assassinated his heir, she then was positioned to inherit all the titles. Typhus then claimed her. Had to dump a handsome sum on the prince to betroth to his next daughter.

I then fall dead at 34... Typhus - it's a bitch.

Whilst this is going on i see he's fighting a rebellion against Harald, King of England and Norway - i decide to wade in on the prince's side moving to press a ducal claim on Gwent . A few battles and a couple of thousand dead mercenaries later we've broken harald's force and i've captured the bastard. This of course has unforseen circumstances.

The prince' brother usurps his titles and goes to war against the new King of England whilst Norway gently crumbles into a soufle of internecine warfare. I then realise I'm a sixteen year old king with a four year old betrothed who now has no land and no prospects of land.

Also, i've just found out - you want to fuck someone over?

Get them exommunicated. It's just fucking daft how much crap that brings. Almost brought me to my knees with four internal and external wars. Finished them all without resorting to mercs though :D

Yeah, dynamic kingdoms sound fantastic.

Impressed with the effort they're putting into their patches. Who knows, eh? Maybe Paradox are finally coming of age as a company.

Having not played for a few weeks, I resumed my save. Last time I played I was playing as the son of an uncle who had been elected the second King of Sicily, shifting the throne to a different branch of the family than I had originally been playing as. Now my 17 year old niece, the duchess of Sicily, declared war on me for the throne! The King of Croatia soon joined the war on her side, while some of my vassals were fighting amongst themselves. In the end I surrendered for the good of the Kingdom, my niece became Queen, and I am a mere count. This should be interesting, as I plot to regain power for my branch of the family.

I love that there is are interesting distinctions and conflicts in this game between what's good for you as a player, what's good for your character, what's good for your demesne, and what's good for your kingdom.

Yeah, dynamic kingdoms sound fantastic.

Impressed with the effort they're putting into their patches. Who knows, eh? Maybe Paradox are finally coming of age as a company.

lol

After being deposed as King, I wormed my way into the new Queen (my neice)'s good graces, fighting wars, putting down a rival claimant to the throne. I was rewarded with the post of spymaster and the nomination as heir... which as far as I can tell made it very easy to assassinate her 11 years after she overthrew me, and take my throne back once again for a second reign as King Roscelin the Cruel of Sicily. <3

Well my game was going amazing. King of Ireland, Brythain, Castille, France and Aragon.

Did an underhanded job on the King of France. Married the daughter of the duchess of Orleans (a large landholder) who gave me a few kids then left to rule her late mothers kingdom. One male survived of the kids. As him i obviously inherited Orleans and all the lands it owned.

This coupled with the Dukes of Brittany and Tolouse who i managed to position a few years previous i held most of France. I was then able to simply usurp the throne from King Philip Capet II However he retained the dukes under his control due to having the Kingdom of Aragon.

2 Brief wars with some muslim spanish and i completed the Duchy of Aragon which gave me enough to take the Kingdom of Aragon. France then devolved into smaller duchies who i then started finding claimants for.

Also, I managed to break up the large duchies of Brittany and Toulouse and place members of my dynasty in ruling positions throughout france.

At a ripe old age, i was slowing down and consolidating to ensure a smooth transition for when my Grandson-Duke-of-York (with his ten thousand men) Inherits and manages to notch me up the kingdom of England.

However it was all for naught - the new patch has fucked me.

Over night, my stable empire suddenly decided to crumble. The distant kingdom penalty towards revolts is even more powerful, the new penalties for 'not my de-jure liege' and a self-fueling 'nearby revolts' penalties make this un-tenable.

It's not the losing territory which galls me, it's that i was having a good game, playing strongly but the rules of the game change all of a sudden and i'm losing. It's really making me consider throwing in the towel for that game.

Stuff! Patch with new features! First proper expansion!

The 1.06 update is now nearing completion, and it is now in QA. We aim to release it in mid to late june, with an exact date to be confirmed soon, and at the same time release our first expansion, the Sword of Islam, with a suggested price of 9.99€.

The patch will include lots of new features for free, including expansion of the map into Mali-Songhay, differentiation on strong and weak claims, new plot, expanded combat, and other features to be announced later.

Sword of Islam will enable playable Muslims, with lots of specific new mechanics for the muslims, creating a whole new experience for the player, where laws, marriage, holdings, traits, titles and more work entirely different.

Every Friday until release, we’ll have a detailed development diary, where Doomdark will be talking both about what will be in the patch and what will be in the expansion.

Here's a quick screenshot...

5Wchy.jpg

Lovely.

Also the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 is brilliant and anyone with an interest in the books/show should get it. Be warned, though, even though the mod is currently about Robert's Rebellion, there are some spoilers for at least up to the end of the third book in certain places in the mod - house descriptions, for instance.

So the 1.06 patch and the Sword of Islam DLC are now live. And excellent. Playing as a Muslim is hellishly good fun, though there's a ton of stuff to keep track of. I started as the Aftasid Emirate (Badajoz and Beja, in Iberia) and have carved out a nice holding by fighting the Christians and occasionally my fellow Muslims. I have my eye on the territory needed to create the Sultanate of Andalusia.

The polygamy and open succession mechanics are fantastic, though. SO MANY KIDS. SO MANY KIDS BEING POISONED BY HELICOPTER PARENTS.

Yes, I've started a Sword of Islam game too, started as late as poss. just to get a grasp on new mechanics. Playing as the Ottomans, so lots of small territories nearby to capture and so many sons (and wives, and wives of sons) plotting against each other :D. Already banished my eldest son (he had crap attributes, so it was a win-win).

There's one 2 year old grandson who has the 'genius' trait, hoping he ends up as a successor, but life expectancy is rather short in my family.

Where is the best place to get both the original game and expansion pack? I don't waiting for a physical copy of the original game if it is significantly cheaper.

Either from Steam or Amazon. All copies of the game are Steamworks unless you get it from Gamersgate, but Steam actually patches first these days (and is less hassle due to auto-updating).

I've figured out how to handle open succession - imprison and/or execute all potentially rebellious brothers when you take the throne. Also imprison dynasty members who are making your decadence increase, if you can't hand out land to them. Muslims don't get tyranny penalties for imprisoning members of their own dynasty (except with the people who are imprisoned, and their parents).

Paradox have just announced Europa Universalis 4. Screenshots and info here.

0026794.jpg

- Take your own decisions: Nation building is flexible: decide your own form of government, the structure of your society, trade politics and more. The possibilities are endless.

- Use your Monarch Power: Experience the new system of monarch power where your spread of choices is influence by the caliber of the man you have at the top. Do you have a warrior King? Then it is time to make war.

- Experience history coming to life: The great people and personalities of the past are on hand to support you. Thousands of historical events guide you, with unique different flavor depending on the country you play. Have more than a thousand historical leaders and over 4000 historical Monarchs at your disposal.

- The world is now your playground: Players can enjoy over 300 years of gameplay in a lush topographic map in full 3D. Lead any one of more than 250 countries that originally existed during the game’s extensive time span.

- Experience the all new trade system: The trade system adds a new dimension to the great trade empires of the period. Seize control of key ports to expand your trade, support it with your powerful fleet and the wealth of the world will flow to you.

- Bring out your diplomatic skills: Deeper diplomatic gameplay, with coalitions, threats, fleet basing rights and detailed support for rebels. Introducing unilateral opinions, a country may dislike you, but you can be neutral towards them.

- Engage in Multiplayer: Battle against your friends or try co-operative multiplayer mode that allows several players to work together to control a single nation for up to 32 players. Featuring hotjoin, improved chat, new matchmaking server andsupport for a standalone server.

- Create your own history & customize your game: Europa Universalis IV gives you the chance to customize and mod practically anything your heart may desire.

For anyone playing Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome, I have a tip for you - invest in those cataphract retinues!

RspA0.jpg

Paradox have announced two new expansions for their games - Heart of Darkness for Victoria 2, focusing on the Scramble for Africa, and most excitingly The Old Gods for Crusader Kings 2.

here

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods, the fourth expansion for the critically praised strategy/RPG, finally enables you to play as a Pagan or Zoroastrian ruler, with particular focus on the dreaded Vikings and their tradition of pillage and adventure.

Crusader Kings II explores one of the defining periods in world history in an experience crafted by Paradox Development Studio, the masters of Strategy. Medieval Europe comes to life in this game of knights, schemes and thrones.

Features

Play as a Pagan chieftain and ravage your weak neighbors. If you remain at peace for too long, your people will grow restless...

New special start date in 867 AD: The Viking Rurik has founded the kingdom of Rus and the Great Heathen Army under the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok rampages through England.

Play as a Zoroastrian lord and restore your ancient religion to prominence.

Adventurers: Landless characters can gather armies and go off to carve out new realms on their own.

Prepared Invasions: Declare your intention to invade and watch your armies grow with adventurers and restless warriors, but don't wait too long to start your war or it might all fall apart...

Rebels with a Cause: Rebels are no longer a faceless menace – they are now led by characters with agendas.

Loot and pillage provinces. Burn down their cities and take their gold!

Sacrifice to Odin at the great Blot!

Christians and Muslims can dispatch missions to convert the depraved heathens.

New beautiful Pagan interface skin.

New events and decisions: berserkers, sejdr, curses, omens, divinations, runestones and much more.

The feature list sounds fantastic.

Calling Rudi to the thread (and all other Paradox-lovers)!

Paradox are currently giving 55% discounts on a number of titles and, having only ever stuck to the EU series I am really feeling the itch to get something else to tide me over until EU4 arrives. So, what should I get? Crusader Kings 2 or Victoria 2? Or is Hearts of Iron 3 worth getting now? And what expansions should I invest in? Like EU, do the improvements in each expansion stack?

It seems rude not to be spending some money on there today, so tell me what to buy!

Crusader Kings 2, hands-down.

Hearts of Iron 3 is still not worth getting and if you want a WW2 one then get Darkest Hour, which is good. Victoria 2 is on its way to being good (the forthcoming expansion will help probably) but it's still largely a game in which you do nothing at all.

The expansions stack on each other except for Crusader Kings 2, which is the first of Paradox's games where they're taking a properly modular approach. Even the 'expansions' for that function as modular DLC that you can turn on and off. If you do get Crusader Kings 2, then get Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, and The Republic at least - the rest is mostly cosmetic DLC like adding more portraits and different faces for Mediterranean people or African people or Russian people, and adding more to the soundtrack. They're worth getting if they're cheap just to round off the experience, but not essential. The main expansions have several gameplay improvements or additions too, and while some of them were added in patches so that you don't need the DLCs to take advantage of them, others are DLC-specific (like the faction intrigue system and retinues from Legacy of Rome).

Right, so the tutorial is completely broken (on the first module, for goodness' sake!) so what is a good character to start as to learn the ropes without being too overwhelmed?

One of the independent Irish Dukes or Counts was a great way to learn the game when I got it - not too much to deal with, no big powers hassling you, no lieges and not too hard to expand your domain and create the Duchy of Ulster, and as you do so, the complexity naturally increases as you get more vassals. From there the Duke of Apulia used to be a good one to play as a slightly more advanced game (create the kingdom of sicily!), but the changes since I played that save have apparently made that incredibly hard now.

Also, there are lots of good beginner's guides on the internet, either in video, text or wiki form depending on your preference.

Right, so the tutorial is completely broken (on the first module, for goodness' sake!) so what is a good character to start as to learn the ropes without being too overwhelmed?

As I understand it only the introduction tutorial bit just outright refuses to work at all, but yeah. An Irish duke is probably the best way to go. Leinster preferably, I think.

As I understand it only the introduction tutorial bit just outright refuses to work at all, but yeah. An Irish duke is probably the best way to go. Leinster preferably, I think.

Unfortunately not, I found another one in the raising armies tutorial. Lucky for Paradox that I've now already paid for it, I guess.

Anyway, I'll give an Irish Duke a try, thanks guys.

You should give this Let's Play a read. It's designed to teach new players the game (using an Irish duke, at that). It's a bit out of date now - it's from before all the DLC - but most of it is applicable.

I found this guide really useful when I started playing just recently. There's a few places patches have changed things, but it helped massively vs trying to figure it all out by myself. I also watched the first few of

video guides and they helped me get some of the concepts straight, too.

I'm really glad I put the time in to get started, because it really is a fantastic game once you get started. I'm still playing my 'tutorial' game having made it from Earl of Dublin to King of Ireland & Wales, currently trying to carve out a chunk of England, and loving it.