SFIV - No more leagues?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FuntimeDave

FuntimeDave
  • Members
  • 3539 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

So I got the impression that general apathy set in with the leagues, myself included. Was thinking maybe I should sell the game but it gave me soo much fun. Therefore how about just keeping a ladder going. Nothing too formal and not too many rules. Has anyone done this before - does it work - will the lack of rules cause anarchy.

How I thought (well not much thinking has happened) it might work is just a list of names (maybe initially based on league position) and then anyone can challenge anyone and we just manage it between ourselves. i.e. if the bottom of the list constantly keeps bugging the top of the list every minute then we just tell them they are an idiot and to stop. If someone keeps failing to accept challenges we just call them a lightweight and embarass them into playing. i.e. the matches are all controlled in one thread - can't imagine too many of us.

I am sure the above doesn't deal with a lot of potential issues but I cannot be bothered to document a load of rules for scenarios I can't think of at mo.

Would anyone even be interested in being in such a thing, has anyone organised one before - like I said I don't think too much effort should be put in as people will drop in and out and the general apathy levels on this. Am I jumping the gun and a new league will commence soon? When is SSFIV out?

How many players needed for a ladder to work - at least this way you could play as different character every game.

OR

How about a tournament - did someone not organise a random character tournament at some point. Would people be interested if I set one of those up.

Any thoughts appreciated - if I see a lack of interest I will just go back to running around in MW2 whilst wearing a chef's hat and speaking mexican trying to do backflips off the walls.

#2 JLM

JLM
  • Members
  • 5220 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

I'd be up for a tournament or ladder system yeah. I hope I speak for most when I say that we expect SSFIV to re-kindle the interest in this game (LOBBEEEEEEZ), but a system like this would be nice so I can at least stay warm until the new game comes out. Being able to have a crack at anyone above you on the ladder who happens to be around seems like it'd be easier than trying to track down specific league opponents.

If I were Stefcha I don't know if I could be bothered doing another league in the current climate because it seems that a number of fixtures will be voided every time.

If there is another league I'd have to give it a miss because it was too irritating trying to get certain fixtures played, but a tournament or ladder scenario would most definitely tempt me. That random select tournament a while back was great fun.

#3 stefcha

stefcha
  • Supporters
  • 10151 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Shit, I haven't done the league wrapup! I'll do it tomorrow. Probably. And I'm currently flogging SFIV myself anyway so in the extremely unlikely event of there being another season someone else will have to take up the reins, although, as you say, it's a bit depressing when people can't even muster the enthusiasm to play for the 6 weeks or so the season was supposed to last. Tournaments are probably the best bet, they can be over and done with in a few days and don't need much organising.

#4 FuntimeDave

FuntimeDave
  • Members
  • 3539 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Shit, I haven't done the league wrapup! I'll do it tomorrow. Probably. And I'm currently flogging SFIV myself anyway so in the extremely unlikely event of there being another season someone else will have to take up the reins, although, as you say, it's a bit depressing when people can't even muster the enthusiasm to play for the 6 weeks or so the season was supposed to last. Tournaments are probably the best bet, they can be over and done with in a few days and don't need much organising.

No probs Stefcha. Sorry to hear your selling it. Like I said if not enough interest shown by end of the week then just a case of waiting for SSFIV and see how that pans out.

Anyone know when/if Blublaz or Blazblu is coming to 360?

#5 JLM

JLM
  • Members
  • 5220 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, it's been out on 360 for a while but we're waiting on the European release. The US version is region locked which is why no one is playing it on 360 at the minute. The european version is out early next year.

I bought a PS3 almost exclusively to play it and it's absolutely brilliant. :(

#6 KjGarly

KjGarly
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

I'm up for any kind of tournament. So yeah, put my name down...Cheers Dave!

#7 GC Zombie

GC Zombie
  • Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

I'll register my interest for anything sf4 related. Ladders, tourneys, anything.

#8 FuntimeDave

FuntimeDave
  • Members
  • 3539 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

I'll register my interest for anything sf4 related. Ladders, tourneys, anything.

I think if anything happens it will be a tournament to start off with as that would seem easy to organise and quick done. Have to say though the response so far has been far from overwhelming so even the tourney is looking unlikely.

Sad day but El Feurte may just retire to the kitchen and with my cookign skills like my fighting skills it ain't gonna be fun ;-(

[attachment=9056:chef.jpg]

#9 carlito

carlito
  • Members
  • 5312 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

I would be up for something.

Couldn't commit to doing 3 fixtures a week again like the league though. It was a constant battle to void dodge for me as I work pretty late.

Who actually still plays this regularly? I only see GC Zombie online, but he is always deep in training mode and I don't want to interrupt the flow of zen with a game request.

I basically like to play endless random selection matches.

#10 FuntimeDave

FuntimeDave
  • Members
  • 3539 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

I would be up for something.

Couldn't commit to doing 3 fixtures a week again like the league though. It was a constant battle to void dodge for me as I work pretty late.

Who actually still plays this regularly? I only see GC Zombie online, but he is always deep in training mode and I don't want to interrupt the flow of zen with a game request.

I basically like to play endless random selection matches.

Nice one carlito. I don't think anyone is up for the three fixtures a week thing anymore. A tournament would be done in a week or over two and the laddeer if done (less likely) would be a casual affair for people to dip in and out of as they saw fit.
I may try and send a PM to those in the league this year and then to a few randoms on Thursday to see if it is a goer.

Why anyone would turn down the chance to be crowned ULTIMATE STREET FIGHTER RANDOM TOURNAMENT KING OF THE HILL BEST IN SHOW WINNER 2009 is beyond me.

#11 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1812 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:53 PM

I'm still up for something. But not random select. That's just me though.

#12 FuntimeDave

FuntimeDave
  • Members
  • 3539 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

I'm still up for something. But not random select. That's just me though.

If we get enough responses then will see what most want to do regards random or chosen. I only put random as I think some of the apathy in the league is from having to play the same character week in week out.

#13 Hyper P

Hyper P
  • Members
  • 1404 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

I'd be up for more arranged games, but my stick's just turned unusable. :)

#14 JLM

JLM
  • Members
  • 5220 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

When are you generally online Carlito? I only just realised I have a message from you from weeks ago asking for some games that I missed. I like to do random select player matches too, so I still need to play you at some stage. I haven't been online for a bit but I periodically check to see if anyone's on SFIV and they rarely are. If I'm online and doing anything other than Firefight on ODST or playing Rock Band then I can be interrupted.

I don't want to stop playing this, but I agree that the multiple fixtures per week thing seems to have turned people off. I cannot wait to be able to play this with spectator lobbies on the go.

#15 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1812 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

I'd be up for more arranged games, but my stick's just turned unusable. :D

Was wondering where you've been. I've wanted to have a player match sesh with you recently.

#16 strawdonkey

strawdonkey
  • Members
  • 8574 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

I simply got very busy over the course of the last season; barely had time for anything XBox related for a very long period.

I do still enjoy the game though and if anyone fancies playing against a rusty and average rose or a terrible Rufus, I'm always open to invitation.

Would also be up for more organised play, but yeah - three fixtures a week isn't workable for me at the moment until things calm down a bit.

#17 psyduck

psyduck
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Over on ntsc-uk we've had tourneys where you choose 3 characters and play them in order against your oppo's 3, and others where you can change chars when you lose a game. That helps the boredom of just using one character.

#18 cale

cale
  • Members
  • 1812 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (psyduck @ Nov 26 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Over on ntsc-uk we've had tourneys where you choose 3 characters and play them in order against your oppo's 3, and others where you can change chars when you lose a game. That helps the boredom of just using one character.

I like the idea of these.

Back in the first season of the Rllmuk league there was a vote (I think) as to whether second chars were going to be allowed but maybe it got voted against. I'd really like the option of having a couple of chars to choose from. The only issue that we couldn't work around was counter-picking, which was fair. The option where you could change after a loss would sort this problem nicely.

Anyway, yeah, I'm still up for something SF4 so let's hope something can happen.

#19 FurryGreenMonster

FurryGreenMonster
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

I'm always happy to get involved in SF stuff.

#20 FuntimeDave

FuntimeDave
  • Members
  • 3539 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (FurryGreenMonster @ Nov 27 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm always happy to get involved in SF stuff.

Right I think there are ten listed as interested in this thread. Kinda on the cusp of should we bother. In fact Hell Yeah. THE CHRIMBO JUMBO STREETFIGHTER TOURNAMENT is on. First prize a reindeer jumper to stand out from those rag tag naff naff co wearing other brawlers.

I send out a mail to a few others this week and then write up a set of rules the following week. Thinking three character pick is the way forward. Figheters will be seeded but the draw will not be so second favourite and first favourite could meet in the first round.

Lets get it on (warning enthusiasm may wane once cold rememdies have worn off)

#21 JLM

JLM
  • Members
  • 5220 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

Let's do this thing!

#22 JamesS

JamesS
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

I'd be up for playing. Only just got the 360 version, as everybody I knew who had it on PS3 has stopped playing it now.

#23 Hyper P

Hyper P
  • Members
  • 1404 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

Think I managed to get my stick more responsive for now, so I'm in. smile.gif

#24 joffocakes

joffocakes
  • Supporters
  • 11122 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

I want to play! smile.gif

#25 FuntimeDave

FuntimeDave
  • Members
  • 3539 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Joffo_Cakes @ Dec 2 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to play! smile.gif

Okay I have been ill the last few days. Am back so will sort out something over the weekend. THE RING DING FULL OF BLING JUMBO CHRIMBO STREETFIGHTER JAMBOREE will live I tell you.
Oh is it heresy to say I have been playing Tekken 6 - I feel so dirty.

#26 psyduck

psyduck
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

yeah stick me down for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users