The Baking Thread

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#31 autumnlight

autumnlight
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Not bad for my first go at icing a cake, I don't think. It was a bit dodgy in places and not at all even...but I'm fairly pleased with it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 hoot

hoot
  • Members
  • 9410 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

You did a good job.

1:41am munchies, not good.

#33 whykt

whykt
  • Members
  • 1438 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

I bought pretty much everything from scratch this week to start making cupcakes, cakes, pies, brownies, cookies (will work up to cheesecakes and tiramisu). About time I became all domesticated and spent time in the kitchen etc :D

The red velvet cake looks wonderful, Merethe!

#34 whykt

whykt
  • Members
  • 1438 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

My first banofee pie turned out to be way too sickly sweet, and this is from someone with a real sweet tooth :-/

#35 Merethe

Merethe
  • Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

It was our daughter's 6th birthday yesterday, and naturally there was some baking involved.
I always let the kids decide what kind of birthdaycake they want (it should be said though that it's not always wise, hehe), and this year my daughter said she wanted a cake castle, so a castle it was. Seeing as I don't bake cakes in the shape of a castle very often, I figured I had to take some pics of it. While I was at it, I also took a couple of pics of the cupcakes and cookies I made for her children's party.
Behold the pink :) :

Attached File  f_rstebilde.jpg   39.74KB   0 downloadsAttached File  andrebilde.jpg   33.95KB   0 downloads Attached File  kjeks.jpg   45.57KB   0 downloads

Baking and preparing the birthdaycake:
Attached File  kakedeler.jpg   21.95KB   0 downloadsAttached File  f_rglasur.jpg   37.75KB   0 downloads Attached File  glasurogpynt.jpg   33.9KB   0 downloads

Finished result:
Attached File  Bilde0072.jpg   67.63KB   0 downloads

#36 hoot

hoot
  • Members
  • 9410 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

You're far too good.

Really fancy a Smartie's cookie...

#37 Jimmyzilla

Jimmyzilla
  • Members
  • 6812 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:36 PM

hahaha cool cake, my sister had one like that for one of her birthdays!

#38 Merethe

Merethe
  • Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

I bought pretty much everything from scratch this week to start making cupcakes, cakes, pies, brownies, cookies (will work up to cheesecakes and tiramisu). About time I became all domesticated and spent time in the kitchen etc :)

The red velvet cake looks wonderful, Merethe!

Thanks, and enjoy the baking! Once you get started you'll find it's a lot easier than you think, and fun too ;)

You're far too good.

Really fancy a Smartie's cookie...

I'm really not, but I must admit that I love baking and when the occasion calls for it I find it quite relaxing to mess about in the kitchen and try out new recipes etc.
I also love baking stuff for friends and family as well, and regularly use them as my personal guinea pigs when I want to try out something new, hehe. There's just something magical about the fresh smell of baked goods spreading throughout the house, it almost serves as a reward in itself.
And you simply can't go wrong with Smarties cookies at a children's party ;)

hahaha cool cake, my sister had one like that for one of her birthdays!

My daughter was quite pleased with it too in all its pink glory. Girls will be girls, hehe.

And autumnlight, nice job decorating the mother's day cake :(

#39 hoot

hoot
  • Members
  • 9410 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

Does anyone have a good fruit cake recipe? I've been buying these:

Posted Image

which are really good, would be quite nice to make something similar.

#40 lillynd

lillynd
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Does anyone have a good fruit cake recipe?

Mary Berry's Bara Brith (welsh teacake):
Ingredients:

375g (12oz) mixed fruit

300ml 1/2 pint strong hot black tea

250g (8oz) brown sugar

10ml (2 level tsp) mixed spice

300g (10oz) self-raising flour

1 egg beaten

Cooking Instructions:

In a large bowl soak the fruit and sugar in strained tea and leave overnight

Next day preheat the oven to 150C, Gas mark 2

Mix the remaining ingredients into the fruit mixture and beat well

Pour the mixture into a loaf tin that has been well greased or lined with buttered paper

Place the tin in the oven and bake for one and a half hours or until firm to touch.

This is really easy and delicious!

#41 hoot

hoot
  • Members
  • 9410 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:28 AM

Can't get much easier than that, shall get it soaking tomorrow, thanks!

#42 lillynd

lillynd
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

Am about to bake a carrot cake, I'm happy with the cake recipe I have but not sure about the icing. I want to make the traditional cream cheese based topping but i thought it had icing sugar in (the recipe i have just puts honey and lemon juice in the cream cheese)? can anyone help me out? advice or recipe for the topping would be much appreciated!
Thanks

#43 A.C.R.O.N.Y.M

A.C.R.O.N.Y.M
  • Members
  • 3306 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

Any decent carrot cake recipes?.

#44 autumnlight

autumnlight
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

http://www.deliaonli...arrot-cake.html

This is the best carrot cake recipe I've tried - it's super moist and stays that way for a good week. The topping is delicious too.

#45 Merethe

Merethe
  • Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

Here's my favourite Carrot Cake recipe.
This is a plain version of the cake and the recipe doesn't call for any nuts, chocolate or raisins, because I find all these ingredients to take away from the sweetness of the baked carrots and the smoothness of the cinnamon flavoured base. If you can't have your carrot cake without these additions, however, then throw your favourites in the mix when you fold in the carrots and bake the cake as usual.

Carrot cake recipe

Ingredients:

4 eggs
215 g sugar
215 g white flour
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla sugar
10 cl vegetable oil
5-6 grated carrots (medium sized)

Icing:

200g cream cheese (I use Philadelphia light)
200g butter (tempered)
200g icing sugar
0.5-0.75 vanilla bean (alt.1 tsp vanilla essence)

Preheat oven to 180 C.
Butter or spray a 9.5 inch cake pan, and line the bottoms of the pan with parchment paper.
Peel and finely grate the carrots and set aside.

To make the base:
In a large bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and vanilla sugar. Add oil and flour/spice-mix alternately to the beaten eggs and stir everything together. Gently fold in grated carrots until all combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven at the bottom rack for approximately 1 hour, or until a cake skewer comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for a good 30 minutes before placing it onto a wire rack.

To make the icing:
Beat slightly tempered cream cheese and tempered butter until fluffy, add icing sugar and vanilla, pure and simple. If you don't have a vanilla bean you can substitute it for 1 tsp of vanilla essence, but I find using a real vanilla bean makes a world of difference to the taste so I would urge you to give it a try before deciding that vanilla essence is good enough, hehe.

This is a very juicy cake and keeps for several days in the fridge. It tastes better from the 2nd day, so it is preferably made a day in advance if you're expecting company. Enjoy the juicy goodness :wub:

EDIT: oil error fixed

#46 Gaz

Gaz
  • Supporters
  • 19075 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

Posted Image

at about midnight last night I made 12 almond biscuits. This was what was left when I woke up.

#47 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7709 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

I'm making the carrot cake today ( Bastardised version anyway) , i'll post pics.

#48 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7709 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

100 cl vegetable oil

10cl surely?

#49 sir stiff_one

sir stiff_one
  • Members
  • 38244 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

200g cream cheese (I use Philadelphia light)

Why light?

#50 Merethe

Merethe
  • Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

10cl surely?

Yikes, that extra 0 could have been disasterous! It is supposed to say 10cl for sure. Thanks for pointing it out! Looking forward to hearing your verdict and see pics of the cake :P

Why light?

Fair question. Mostly just because in our house we've always got Philadelphia light in the fridge anyway, so naturally it's also found its way into the icing, but I've also found that using the full fat version doesn't add anything to the taste or texture of the icing, so I've just kept on using the light version.
Naturally, either will be fine.

#51 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7709 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

Its in the oven. :P

I used wholemeal flour and brown sugar, and added a little grated fresh root ginger

#52 Merethe

Merethe
  • Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Ooooooh, that sounds nice! I've never tried it with ginger, but I have definitely got to try that out now. (I love the added sting ginger root gives to sweet desserts)
Great tip :P

#53 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7709 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

The Verdict - Wonderful

I've only ever had shop bought Carrot Cake before but this is on another level. Also I was never keen on the icing you normally get on Carrot cake, I always thought of it as a necessary evil, but this stuff was absolutely gorgeous. I added the juice of half a lemon to the frosting. Though I probbaly should have cooled it in the fridge for a while before spreading it on the cake but I couldn't wait :P

Anyway, as you can see it meets the approval of my son. I had to cut out a slice for tasting purposes.

Attached File  photo.jpg   82.02KB   0 downloads
Attached File  photo_2_.jpg   114.09KB   0 downloads

#54 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11530 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Mary Berry's Bara Brith (welsh teacake):
Ingredients:

375g (12oz) mixed fruit

300ml 1/2 pint strong hot black tea

250g (8oz) brown sugar

10ml (2 level tsp) mixed spice

300g (10oz) self-raising flour

1 egg beaten

Cooking Instructions:

In a large bowl soak the fruit and sugar in strained tea and leave overnight

Next day preheat the oven to 150C, Gas mark 2

Mix the remaining ingredients into the fruit mixture and beat well

Pour the mixture into a loaf tin that has been well greased or lined with buttered paper

Place the tin in the oven and bake for one and a half hours or until firm to touch.

This is really easy and delicious!

I made this this morning.

Soaked fruit:
Posted Image

Pre-baking (looks a bit gross):
Posted Image

Post-baking (looks much nicer!):
Posted Image

In all its fruity goodness:
Posted Image

Now, I've had a slice and it was lovely (thanks to lillynd for the recipe) and I want to take the rest into work tomorrow. What's the best way of looking after it; cling-film, foil, fridge, counter-top?

#55 Merethe

Merethe
  • Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

The Verdict - Wonderful

I've only ever had shop bought Carrot Cake before but this is on another level. Also I was never keen on the icing you normally get on Carrot cake, I always thought of it as a necessary evil, but this stuff was absolutely gorgeous. I added the juice of half a lemon to the frosting. Though I probbaly should have cooled it in the fridge for a while before spreading it on the cake but I couldn't wait :D

Anyway, as you can see it meets the approval of my son. I had to cut out a slice for tasting purposes.

Attached File  photo.jpg   82.02KB   0 downloads
Attached File  photo_2_.jpg   114.09KB   0 downloads

Aww, will you look at that face, he is absolutely adorable! :)
Nothing quite beats pics of toddlers with food, hehe.

I'm glad to hear the cake was a hit, I'm telling you, store bought carrot cake's got nothing on this recipe. I'm sure your version with the brown sugar and ginger gave it a caramelized, spicy edge as well. I must admit I like the idea of putting ginger root in the mix, I'm definitely going to try that out.
I also can't help but notice that you've used real vanilla bean in the icing, and I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. (yeah, I know.. :) )
A little chilling in the fridge the next time and it will be perfect. I usually make the icing while the cake is in the oven so that it has good time to chill in the fridge before spreading it on the cake, which gives it the righ consistency. However, you'll find that out for yourself tomorrow because the best part is that if you liked the taste of the cake and icing today, just you wait until it has been sitting in the fridge for the night and the tastes have had time to settle. You're in for treat tomorrow. (if there's anything left by then, hehe)
Well done! :D

#56 lillynd

lillynd
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

What's the best way of looking after it; cling-film, foil, fridge, counter-top?

I usually just keep it in a airtight tub. If you don't have one wrap it in foil. It keeps really well.

Thanks for all the carrot cake recipes, much appreciated, went for basic cream cheese, butter, vanilla & icing sugar topping. was yummy. Forgot to take pics tho, next time.

#57 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11530 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

Made a batch of Mint Viscount-style biscuits using a Something For The Weekend recipe from Simon Rimmer.

Posted Image

I thought I had overdone the biscuits as they looked quite crispy after coming out of the oven, but the topping and chocolate seems to have softened the top of the biscuit, whilst the bottom remains crisp.

Oddly, I got about 20 fully-topped biscuits from the recipe, but loads of biscuit mix leftover.

#58 minstrels

minstrels
  • Members
  • 6787 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

I just made these.

Posted Image

#59 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7709 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:34 PM