Rebs

The Baking Thread

344 posts in this topic

Made a batch of Mint Viscount-style biscuits using a Something For The Weekend recipe from Simon Rimmer.

4488635729_9d246ed527.jpg

I thought I had overdone the biscuits as they looked quite crispy after coming out of the oven, but the topping and chocolate seems to have softened the top of the biscuit, whilst the bottom remains crisp.

Oddly, I got about 20 fully-topped biscuits from the recipe, but loads of biscuit mix leftover.

fantastic stuff, I'll try that out - they look superb. Lovely photo too :(

I made these last weekend, sadly they didn't last long enough to make a photo. Two pavalovas and few creme brulee were made in the same batch, they also didn't last the day.

Tempted to make another Lemon Meringue Pie, it's probably my fav dessert ever.

Problem with baking is that it's great fun, but it's just so dangerous for the waist line.

As its Sunday, I've been baking. Couldn't be bothered with anything too complicated so today i went for dark choc chip cookies.

cookiemix.jpg

cookiessa.jpg

They were a bit 'cakey' straight out of the oven but are now firming up nicely.

Some cupcakes I made over the weekend. Never seen the Cookie Monster cakes before and though I would give them a go :o

29956_393716106719_529606719_4619246_6107464_n.jpg

29956_393716126719_529606719_4619250_3314213_n.jpg

29956_393716141719_529606719_4619251_6587653_n.jpg

Amazing ! Great work

Thanks Poppalarge :lol: they were fun to make just hope they taste as good as they look :o

They are awesome Amy.

I'm planning to make them myself when I get round to it, I've had a picture of one as my desktop for ages to remind me.

I don't usually make cookies, but today I had an urge to for some unknown reason:

Cooookies.jpg

Peanut butter and chocolate chip (well, smashed up chocolate pieces), bloody lavverly.

They look awesome, going to rip off your idea and give them a go!! :unsure:

Go for it they are great to make :D Although be careful with the Blue food colouring on the coconut, it can taste a bit odd especially the morrisons one. I added a little drop of water and some icing sugar to it until it tasted right with the frosting. :coffee:

Yeah do it Gaz! They are great! :D

I'm totally baking some cakes this weekend. Those look fantastic.

I had a go at some cakes at the weekend. I started off with these.

cake1d.jpg

I thought they needed something more, so I added loads of chocolate.

cake2.jpg

Still not satisfied, I figured the final missing ingredient was MOAR CHOCOLATE!1

cake3.jpg

This weekend I made cinnabons. Worked out well for a first attempt. :lol: Although the sad news is I now know exactly how unhealthy they are. 8)

RECIPE!

Also, chocolate cakes look great :)

I made some cinnamon rolls in March. They were nice, but not up to Cinnabon standard. And they had an absolute tonne of sugar and butter in them. I still ate every single one though.

For someone craving a chocolatey desert in 2 minutes (came across it with Stumbleupon):

Take a large coffee/tea mug, toss the following in it and stir with a fork:

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons Cake Flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoons oil

Pinch of salt

Put it in the microwave for 60 seconds, add a bit of chocolate syrup or whipped cream and enjoy.

I made some cinnamon rolls in March. They were nice, but not up to Cinnabon standard. And they had an absolute tonne of sugar and butter in them. I still ate every single one though.

Aye, the amount of sugar and butter in them is mental, but they taste great. I used this recipe. Not Cinnabon standard looks wise, but as far as taste is concerned they aren't far off. This was my first attempt at making them and I think I made a few mistakes that I could easily fix next time around.

Couple of photos straight from the phone with no artistic attempt what so ever.

imag0010.jpg

imag0011.jpg

After much whinging upthread, my electric oven has turned out to be fine for baking, hurrah! However, I am having a problem with proving bread. I have a flat the size of a pea with no airing cupboard to speak of, plus the heating is off now so it isn't warm in there anyway. I tried the grill above the oven as a proving spot, but it gets far too hot, even with the oven on the lowest setting. At the moment, I'm reduced to leaving it on a sunny windowsill and crossing my fingers.

Anyone got any recommendations for proving bread?

After much whinging upthread, my electric oven has turned out to be fine for baking, hurrah! However, I am having a problem with proving bread. I have a flat the size of a pea with no airing cupboard to speak of, plus the heating is off now so it isn't warm in there anyway. I tried the grill above the oven as a proving spot, but it gets far too hot, even with the oven on the lowest setting. At the moment, I'm reduced to leaving it on a sunny windowsill and crossing my fingers.

I used to be in a similar position. Have you tried keeping the top part (i assume the Grill/top oven) open and resting the bowl on the door rather than right inside? I'd try that or heat the oven up, then turn it off and then use the grill space, it should stay warm for long enough.

Hope this helps!

Am I allowed to post pictures of my friend's cake creations in here? She's done some pretty damn sweet work...

Unintentional humour, honest...

I love the detail in these things, she just makes them for fun.

27079_1357654017972_1130133320_1081883_7177071_n.jpg

23486_1346955830524_1130133320_1055551_4535970_n.jpg

22551_1342664563245_1130133320_1045188_2680726_n.jpg

18751_1309058283109_1130133320_953862_7788636_n.jpg

19851_1294945130289_1130133320_905926_6213140_n.jpg

10029_1240181601235_1130133320_755836_939637_n.jpg

5372_1203199476705_1130133320_640545_12527_n.jpg

10029_1217479673701_1130133320_687303_4908916_n.jpg

Madness.

I also have a friend who has been making crazy cakes

The "app cupcakes" are my favourite of her creations.

iphonecakes.jpg

Can anyone recommend me a good diet friendly chocolate cake recipe? The other half has asked me to make her one as a birthday cake but is currently doing weightwatchers (quite well, hence why I don't intend to ruin it). After an attempt at a diabetic choccy cake for my mum which quite frankly was f*cking disgusting, I'm hoping someone one here has a recipe that'll knock her socks off.

Oh and if anyone has a diabetic one, post that too plase.

Cheers

If you fancy getting into bread making a bit more you could look for books by Richard Bertinet or my preference is Peter Reinhart (not 100% sure on the spelling). The bread is nearly always proofed at room temperature or even in the fridge. It just means you have to plan a little better rather than trying to knock a quick loaf up on a saturday morning thats all.

At the end of the day the yeast works down to freezing, it just takes longer so as long as you give yourself enough time it will always prove to the right size eventually. It''s generally the longer prooving when done at room temperature that gives bread more flavour, certainly any bread i've made since reading books from the two authors above has absolutely ruined the normal 'side of the flour packet' loaves I was making before.

I don't know why you're crossing your fingers, bread will prove at room temperature (or lower) just fine, only it'll take longer. One of the bread books I've got that I trust is very specific that proving bread at higher than room temperature is too fast and can often leave the dough tasting too yeasty. It should only take a couple of hours to double in volume and it's not like you need to watch it or anything.

Pic is a bit blurry, but I made some Halloween cookies for the kids, fingers and eyeballs :)

post-12453-004654100 1288539418_thumb.jp

I made a start on decorating a cake for someone at work yesterday, hoping to finish it off tonight :)

58b8b7f7.jpg

I bet that's for you really Gaz isn't it? Knowing your love of retail therapy and all

First of all fitness games, now making handbags out of icing

Something fishy going on here boyo. :sherlock: Need to get you back to shooting people in the bonce!