Slo-cooker recipes

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 Craster

Craster
  • Members
  • 4614 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I always find that a slow-cooker on low doesn't cook veg to a texture I like. I would do a 5-minute par-boil on the carrots and potatoes.

#122 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Cool, that's no hassle to do as well.

#123 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2759 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Got it! Very excited :D

So, say I was adapting something like this recipe for beef and guinness stew - layer the bottom of the slow cooker with the potatoes, celery and carrots, brown my beef in batches, then cook the onions in the beefy pan, deglaze that and lob the lot into the slow cooker for 8 hours on low? The only thing that worries me is that people earlier in the thread were saying the veggies might not cook - so whack it on high for an hour first?

Sounds right to me... You can even do this the night before and put it in the fridge (as long as you let it cool first), then when you get up in the morning just take it out of the fridge and switch it on.

Personally I've never had any problems with the veggies not cooking, I always make sure cut them no bigger than quartered potatoes or golf ball sized chunks.

#124 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8508 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Yesterday I made a chilli in the slow cooker with half mince, half stewing steak, chorizo and pork sausage. Absolutely gorgeous. Forgot to take a photo :(

More or less this with stewing steak

#125 mechamonkey

mechamonkey
  • Members
  • 8508 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Got a crockpot a couple of weekends ago - our first pulled pork experiment (with Stella Cidre) was fantastic.

Today, this is getting done : http://southernfood....s/r/bl103c4.htm

Pics to follow - I'm already frothing for it.

Thats the first thing I made in my slow cooker, was awesome but I put in the whole bottle of cidre which was a little bit too strong a flavor and I think more suited to pork/sage/apple type flavour rather than bbq. Next time I'll use it again but maybe just a third of a bottle.

#126 stefcha

stefcha
  • Supporters
  • 9714 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I boiled the carrots for a few minutes beforehand, they were fairly chunkily chopped and came out about right at the end. Not tried potatoes yet.

And I saved the brisket I mentioned earlier, the next day I whacked it back in on medium to see what happened. I totally forgot about it. 5 or so hours later when I went to bed, I realised and found it was actually pretty good! Elastin gone! Shredded it up, put it in the fridge after mixing in some salt, chilli powder, smoked paprika and made a nice chilli with it the next day.

#127 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Total success! Except for a slight incident with my new mandolin when I was chopping the onions (top tip - the safety guard is there for a reason - that's going to scar). I'd double the amount of veggies I put in but other then that, delicious. Some sort of pork based thing is next I reckon, and I'm going to try a super slow cooked tomato sauce next week I think if I can get some decent tomatoes over the week.

#128 stefcha

stefcha
  • Supporters
  • 9714 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Lamb tomorrow. Got just under a kilo of boneless shoulder that's going in with rosemary, garlic, bit of lamb stock, bit of wine, all on top of some carrot and onoin on medium for 7 hours or so. I can't go wrong this time, this is about as simple as it gets!

I was just thinking though, given mine has weird low/med/high settings and low wasn't nearly hot enough for the brisket, what's the best way of me working out what the temperature of each setting actually is in general? Is it likely to be constant, so could I put some water in for a few hours then measure the temp of that? Plus I've only got a really basic meat thermometer anyway, but would that work OK? Not bothered about to-the-exact-degree, just to get a better idea.

#129 Shimmyhill

Shimmyhill
  • Supporters
  • 23294 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Having not had much joy with the slow cooker we have finally had two successes! Chilli and a beef daube, both really nice and only thing i would change on the chilli is to fry off the onions for a bit as they were a bit potent having gone in raw!

Tracy bought a slow cooker cook book and it has some interesting ideas, the beef daube was from it and very nice - onwards and upwards!!

#130 dizogg

dizogg
  • Members
  • 21332 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

I've got a breast of lamb that my dad gave me because he didn't want it (it's hardly the best cut) and wondering if the slow cooker would be a good place for it? Any ideas of what would be good way to do it?

#131 snowbind

snowbind
  • Members
  • 29276 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Chicken works pretty well curried in the slow cooker.

#132 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2759 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I've got a breast of lamb that my dad gave me because he didn't want it (it's hardly the best cut) and wondering if the slow cooker would be a good place for it? Any ideas of what would be good way to do it?

The thing is, the breast will emit a load of fat so personally I wouldn't plan on using the cooking sauce as the serving sauce if that makes sense...

With a breast of lamb I find it better to cook on a low heat in the oven, wrapped in foil, on a wire rack in order to let the fat drain away.

#133 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Making bolognese tonight to cook tomorrow in it - will I be OK to get it to the 'I'd now leave this to cook for 8 hours stage' tonight, then cool it and stick it in the fridge, then stick it on from 8am until 6pm? That's 10 hours, which seems a long time even in slow cooker terms...

#134 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Or I suppose I could cook it overnight tonight, cool it in the morning and then reheat it for dinner...

#135 Craster

Craster
  • Members
  • 4614 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Either way makes no real difference. When you cool it, cool it as quickly as you can. Transferring it into another container and then sticking it in an ice water bath until it gets down to fridge temperature is ideal.

#136 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Ended up leaving it on now while I'm at work. I know it'll be fine, but it's slightly nerve wracking leaving something hot cooking.

#137 neoELITE

neoELITE
  • Members
  • 7920 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Thank God for my slow-cooker. Mrs neoELITE told me there was beef in the fridge for Sunday lunch and I just took it out to get it up to room temperature and I was met with a rolled brisket of beef (she thought you could just roast it like topside). I have no stock to put it in so have to make do with an Oxo cube, some browned onions and carrots and a bit of pepper. I have some John Smiths in the firdge but it doesn't cook well and the off-licence is closed so I can't get a bottle of real ale.

I've not done brisket in my slow-cooker before - I've done it before in the oven but that's after marinading the joint in red wine for an entire week and roasting it overnight on 100 degrees C. I don't have a week.
I'm planning on a good six hours at least, have covered it in 2/3 of liquid and set the slow-cooker to high - is this OK? I don't know what to do with it but might do some cheesy mash with roast carrots and parsnips.

8:30am and I've already started cooking Sunday lunch - it's far too early to crack open a beer though and there's no football on the radio to listen to either.

I'll post pics if I remember to.

#138 bobandy

bobandy
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hey guys, I would thoroughly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co...62608105&sr=8-1

Really lovely food and great tips. I made the fiery hot wings today and they were OMG AWESOME!

#139 whizzo

whizzo
  • Members
  • 5733 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thats the first thing I made in my slow cooker, was awesome but I put in the whole bottle of cidre which was a little bit too strong a flavor and I think more suited to pork/sage/apple type flavour rather than bbq. Next time I'll use it again but maybe just a third of a bottle.

You should never use Cidre for any purpose whatsoever.

#140 Fletch

Fletch
  • Supporters
  • 8956 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Cooked a gammon joint in coke in my slow cooker the other night it turned out fantastic although I overdid the glaze a bit but will keep a better eye on that next time.

#141 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Anyone tried making tomato sauce in their slow cookers? I've never been a fan of 'slow cooked' tomato sauces on the hob, they always go claggy in my experience, but in the slow cooker it's just amazing. I've just been using tins of plum tomatoes but will give it a go with fresh tomatoes later in the year if I can get good ones. It's hardly even a recipe but here it is anyway:

2x tinned plum tomatoes
Large onion finely diced
4x cloves garlic finely chopped
Chilli finely chopped
Teaspoon brown sugar
Salt & pepper

- soften onion for 10 minutes in some oil in a saucepan, then add the garlic and chilli and fry for another three minutes
- add everything else, mix and transfer to slow cooker on low for six hours

I've been using it for huevos rancheros, but it'd be good for anything. Probably worth doubling the recipe and freezing it thinking about it too.

#142 Lag

Lag
  • Supporters
  • 6825 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

This week I made a 'goat' curry using beef, because I want to perfect the sauce before splashing out on goat, using this recipe:

http://allrecipes.co...goat-curry.aspx

I used Dunn's River Hot Curry Powder instead of Tex's Jamaican exotic curry.

I added a half can of water before I switched on the cooker because I thought there wasn't enough liquid, but it turned out that a lot of liquid cooked out of the ingredients.

It's bloody good and even better the next day. Now I just need to perfect rice and peas and find a hot sauce that works with it. OMFG.

(in case you're wondering where to get goat or mutton, you'll find it in halal butchers.)

#143 The Hierophant

The Hierophant
  • Members
  • 14397 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Now I just need to perfect rice and peas and find a hot sauce that works with it.

Encona or Dunn's River Jamaican Style Hot Sauce are the two I tend to go for with West Indian food.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users