Slo-cooker recipes

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#31 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 28101 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

The alcohol won't cook off unless it evaporates. The lids on slow cookers aren't air/watertight, so some will escape, but it will take a long while.

#32 Disciple

Disciple
  • Members
  • 53923 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

Oops! Well it tastes great - I usually take the lid off to reduce down...

#33 lilliputty

lilliputty
  • Members
  • 3209 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (MrMonkey @ Nov 26 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I generally whack the slow cooker on high and remove the cover for half an hour at the end. It helps reduce down the liquid somewhat.

I never thought about removing the cover for a bit - will try that next time!

#34 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 28101 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

Leave it on if you are doing frogs.

#35 Silent Runner

Silent Runner
  • Supporters
  • 13271 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

Slow cookers are brilliant when cooking for one. Make the same dish last several days, adding ingredients and spices as you go along so each meal is different. Put the crock in the fridge overnight.

I bought a small slow-cooker recently and I fancy taking to for a test drive. Iíll be cooking for 1 so Iím looking for some basic recipies. Maybe something using pork? Anyone got any suggestions for a first time using the slow cooker? Cheers.

#36 redbloodcel

redbloodcel
  • Supporters
  • 14435 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

I used to make pork + cider stew in mine, 'twas fucking lovely and as easy as bunging meat, veg, cider, a bit of sage, rosemary and S&P in and leaving it for 6-8 hours.

#37 AndyB

AndyB
  • Members
  • 4597 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

To stop stews and what not being too liquid I always chuck in pearl barley. Thickens things up a treat.

#38 Lo32

Lo32
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

Just had an amazing beef curry done in the slpw cooker today :D

#39 Jonny5

Jonny5
  • Supporters
  • 10770 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

When doing stuff like chilli or bolignaise do you brown the mince first? Same for sausage casseroles? I love the idea of chucking it on in te morning before work, but not if i need to bust out the frying pan and cook all the meat first.

Ive only done a beef stew so far and I floured & browned the meat first, it was delicious though.

#40 jimmbob

jimmbob
  • Members
  • 2126 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

When doing stuff like chilli or bolignaise do you brown the mince first? Same for sausage casseroles? I love the idea of chucking it on in te morning before work, but not if i need to bust out the frying pan and cook all the meat first.

Ive only done a beef stew so far and I floured & browned the meat first, it was delicious though.

I always brown them yeah, but you don't have to at all. I find that mince in particular is nicer when cooked through for a minute. the rest of the ingredients just get chucked in raw though, so it doesn't take too long.

I watched River Cottage last night, and now all I can think about is stew.*

*His strong arms etc...

#41 Lo32

Lo32
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

We have choc and orange rice pudding in our slow cooker today, smells amazing, may just not bothered with the sausage and chips and go straight for pud :D

#42 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7702 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:36 PM

I bought a shank of beef today ( from Chinese supermarket) the whole thing was £9 which was a bargain cos it was 3 Kilos.

I've made a traditional beef stew with it, 4 hours in the oven. Shin is definitely the best meat for slow cooking due to all the muscles turning into gooey goodness.

#43 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2696 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Bought the Cooksworks £9.99 slow cooker from Argos today and have my first curry on the go.

- Fry onions, garlic, curry pastes (Pataks Jalfrezi & Sainsburys Goan)
- Add onions etc to slow cooker with squash, chickpeas, sugar, salt, chopped toms, and a little hot water
- Cooked in the slow cooker on high for around 5 hours, I added some mushrooms for the last 2 hours of cooking

#44 p1nseeker

p1nseeker
  • Members
  • 3854 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

Lemme know how it goes as I have just ordered the same one! :)

#45 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2696 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

Well I must say my first dish in the slow cooker worked a treat! Although the curry recipe was fairly tried and tested, it defiantly benefited from the longer, slower cooking which gave it much more depth in flavour. It was also lovely being able to keep it warm (thanks to the er, 'warm' setting) for when my other half came in from work.

The main thing I love about the slow cooker is that you can just leave it alone... No stirring, no checking, no overcooking - it's actually perfect for gamers!

So today I have my sausage cassoulet recipe on the go, as below:

- Brown sausages (chiploatas for me), and remove from pan
- Brown finely chopped onions, celery, garlic, and carrots.
- Add all above to slowcooker.
- Chop some uncooked carrots into large slices, pound coinish thick and add.
- Add chopped toms, chicken stock, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, and sage (all fresh). Season
- Add tins of cannelloni beans and COOK!

I would have added some wine normally but I didn't have any (I never have wine left over from the weekend ;) )

#46 BossSaru

BossSaru
  • Supporters
  • 7203 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Sausage casseroles are a simple and awesome slow cooker meal. Try adding some paprika in place of some of the herbs next time, it goes really well with it.

I'm planning on a pork, apple and cider stew this weekend from my slow cooker. I bleedin' well love the winter months and the hot casseroles at weekends.

#47 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2696 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

Alright I need a little inspiration please... Since buying my slow-cooker I've done:

- Chilli con carne
- 'Green' pork chilli
- Bolognaise
- Pork, cider, and bean stew
- Levi Root's Pepperpot beef stew
- Lamb curry / squash curry
- Pulled lamb
- Lamb tagine

Care to share some ideas?

#48 Craster

Craster
  • Supporters
  • 4436 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Brisket or lamb shanks.

#49 RobinTripp

RobinTripp
  • Members
  • 1646 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

Pulled pork.

Also, for christmas I'll be doing the Coca Cola gammon in the slow-cooker, too.

#50 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7702 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

I bought a shank of beef today ( from Chinese supermarket) the whole thing was £9 which was a bargain cos it was 3 Kilos.

I've made a traditional beef stew with it, 4 hours in the oven. Shin is definitely the best meat for slow cooking due to all the muscles turning into gooey goodness.

Negged!?

:D

#51 WesT

WesT
  • Members
  • 5622 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

Haha, there are some strange people around. It was probably a veggie horrified at the thoughts of 'muscles turning into gooey goodness'

#52 Shimmyhill

Shimmyhill
  • Supporters
  • 21759 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

We got a slow cooker last year and on the couple of times we tried it the veg was never cooked :(

Hit me with some fail safe recipes - i have a pulled pork one from a m8 so will be doing that but need more esp a lamp shank one!

#53 Craster

Craster
  • Supporters
  • 4436 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Always preboil the veg before putting it in the slow cooker. Most vegetables need a higher temperature that the slow cooker reaches to break down.

#54 ravon

ravon
  • Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

One of my favorite things to do in the slow cooker is spare-ribs, brown them off in a pan, dump in a slow cooker and add a couple of jars or bbq sauce, dash of water. Leave for anything from 3-6 hours.

#55 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2696 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

One of my favorite things to do in the slow cooker is spare-ribs, brown them off in a pan, dump in a slow cooker and add a couple of jars or bbq sauce, dash of water. Leave for anything from 3-6 hours.

Do you put them in the oven afterwards to crisp up? Do they come out of the slow cooker holding their structure and shape?

#56 ravon

ravon
  • Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

i suppose you could put them in the oven to crisp up, but i personally love them falling off the bone

#57 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52463 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

Always preboil the veg before putting it in the slow cooker. Most vegetables need a higher temperature that the slow cooker reaches to break down.

I've never parboiled veg, always just cut it into smaller chunks and then used the auto setting

#58 Craster

Craster
  • Supporters
  • 4436 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

'Auto'?! What technical wizardry is this?!

I like big chunks of veg in my casseroles, and they never cook through without parboiling.

#59 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52463 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

'Auto'?! What technical wizardry is this?!

I like big chunks of veg in my casseroles, and they never cook through without parboiling.

It turns it all the way to nuclear for an hour and then drops it down to Low.

#60 doublethemeat

doublethemeat
  • Members
  • 2696 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

It turns it all the way to nuclear for an hour and then drops it down to Low.

That's cool. What model do you have?

I made a cracking beef and lentil curry in mine yesterday - so easy!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users