MW2 Multiplayer Discussion

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

I figured, rather than keeping tips and general advice and questions spread between all the platform threads we should have one generic thread, use this place for asking questions, suggesting spots, etc etc.

I'll start!

Has anyone worked out what exactly FMJ does? It adds a tiny bit of damage on the stats screen and supposedly provides more penetration but on normal an FMJ WS2000 shot through a piece of tinfoil or a cardboard box still won't kill, there seems to be no point to use anything other than thermal or HBM.

The TMP is fucking AMAZING. Just wait, it's a long way but it's worth it, I actually have a class that uses that as it's main gun, only taking a primary because I have to, it's that good.

e: And a mini-rant. To the people saying that Painkiller is only 10 seconds and thus is reasonable, I just hit a guy in the chest/neck with a .50cal TWICE, no kill, and thanks to stupid spawns he appeared 50m~ from where I was. How is that reasonable?

#2 Dave White

Dave White
  • Members
  • 12298 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

I figured, rather than keeping tips and general advice and questions spread between all the platform threads we should have one generic thread, use this place for asking questions, suggesting spots, etc etc.

I'll start!

Has anyone worked out what exactly FMJ does? It adds a tiny bit of damage on the stats screen and supposedly provides more penetration but on normal an FMJ WS2000 shot through a piece of tinfoil or a cardboard box still won't kill, there seems to be no point to use anything other than thermal or HBM.

Its like deep impact, goes through walls and metal like Bone fru Batta!

Use them on the FAL for proper awesomeness

#3 lenticular

lenticular
  • Members
  • 2105 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

Just been experimenting with claymores.
If anyone's wondering, scavenger perk will give you another claymore. If someone goes boom on it you can get another ;) . Find enough bodies and you can have 3 out(for sure) tried placing a 4th but by the time I went back to them they had gone (de-spawned maybe?). 'Danger Close' the explosive damage perk boosts them too. ROCKS.

#4 St Hubbins

St Hubbins
  • Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Oops. I posted this question in the main thread before I saw this one.

Is there an M14 unlockable in multiplayer?

#5 lenticular

lenticular
  • Members
  • 2105 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

Oops. I posted this question in the main thread before I saw this one.

Is there an M14 unlockable in multiplayer?

There's no M14. :)
The FAL is a semi-auto rife though, about the same damage and less recoil. FAL? more like WIN ;)

#6 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

Just hit a guy in the head with FMJ through a wooden wall and only hurt him. I really miss Deep Impact. Ah well.

Danger Close, Thumper and noobtubes is actually quite good. Scavenger Pro for extra ammo.

#7 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

You can only have 2 Claymores down, as soon as you place a 3rd the 1st placed will explode. Scavenger lets you get ammo for ANYTHING including the Javelin, which is fucking terrifying by the way.

#8 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11355 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

How does Scavenger actually work? Do you have to do anything? I'm pissed off that I'll only have one claymore (if that's true).

#9 Vulgar Monkey

Vulgar Monkey
  • Members
  • 17651 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:38 AM

How do you deal with riot shield up close?

I know ideally you should use flashes or explosives, but often I run into them a bit too close to effectively use that method.

#10 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11355 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

How do you deal with riot shield up close?

I know ideally you should use flashes or explosives, but often I run into them a bit too close to effectively use that method.

Often, I've seen them from quite a distance moving slowly towards me thinking they are invulnerable. The old stun-frag combo works quite nicely on them at any reasonable distance.

If you are close up, then maybe try and get round the side of them to shoot. Or use the walls to bounce stuns/frags behind them.

#11 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

Scavenger gives you ammo for everything you carry, only 1 per pickup, eg. you get 1 clip for your primary + secondary, 1 claymore and a smoke grenade. You can only carry 1 claymore but EVERY body drops a package for you so you tend to never run out.

Riot shields are only safe from front on and the hitbox is exactly what you can see, they need to crouch to be fully safe so just start strafing in a circle and you can generally get a shot in and take them down.

#12 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11355 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Scavenger gives you ammo for everything you carry, only 1 per pickup, eg. you get 1 clip for your primary + secondary, 1 claymore and a smoke grenade. You can only carry 1 claymore but EVERY body drops a package for you so you tend to never run out.

Riot shields are only safe from front on and the hitbox is exactly what you can see, they need to crouch to be fully safe so just start strafing in a circle and you can generally get a shot in and take them down.

Ah. Cheers.

I thought Scavenger was that you could take anything from the dead player's class. Do you just walk over the body to re-arm yourself then?

Wait. Does this mean if I plant my single claymore, then hear it go off, go and scavenge the body, get another straight away to plant in the same place (not that I do that)?

#13 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

A dead body drops a little blue package and lets you re-equip everything you have, doesn't make a difference what loadout they had.

#14 Tom*

Tom*
  • Members
  • 8438 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

If you're the one with the riot shield then I recommend using the mask that gives you better explosive damage (not sure of the exact name, it's in Equipment). When you're at the front enemies tend to throw all their nades at once so you need to soak it all up, keep pushing them back and letting your team behind you take them out. I've died so many times from being hit in the side so it's only good for certain chokepoints.

#15 lenticular

lenticular
  • Members
  • 2105 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:26 AM

You can only have 2 Claymores down, as soon as you place a 3rd the 1st placed will explode. Scavenger lets you get ammo for ANYTHING including the Javelin, which is fucking terrifying by the way.

this.
I was just lining them up and got killed in blast when the 3rd one went off :( fml

Anyone noticed you clip through walls more on this.
The thin walls on favela's buildings, always seeing arms, legs and flags (dat flag OMNOMONOM) poke through.

#16 smithstock

smithstock
  • Members
  • 5188 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

Has anyone mentioned thermal sights?

I play hardcore mode and on the larger (sniper) maps, it immediately shifts the balance in your favour! You can see people as glowing white bodies from a mile off!

But Cold Blooded counter-acts this - it makes you look normal through thermal sights, therefore not glowing up like a christmas tree.

I'm all about the stealth, if anyone is the same I recommend:
Barret 50 cal - (for now, until I find a better sniper)
Bling Pro - 2 attachments: Thermal and Silencer (+ FMJ for my pistol)
Cold Blooded - invisible to everything pretty much
Ninja Pro - invisible to heartbeat sensors and sprints quietly
Claymore
Smoke

With this loadout, I am completely invisible to radar and everything else basically unless I use my pistol, but I can't get away with using a silencer on a pistol - way too weak even on hardcore.

EDIT: What does everyone think about Killsteaks? I prefer Harrier Strike and Chopper Gunner for my larger streaks.

#17 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

Silenced pistol is fine, just double tap, use the USP til you get the M9, then use that til you get the TMP, for hardcore at least. For normal you want the M9 Raffica or a shotgun, or the magnum which is a 2 shot kill. Thermal was fun for the first few days but it's completely worthless now, everyone runs with cold blooded on hardcore now, it's better to just take a silencer and use scavenger for extra claymores.

The .50cal is the best sniper unfortunately, although I'd say the WA2000 is better for hardcore. The M82 is slightly better for hardcore but you don't get it til 56 and it's really personal preference.

Thermal on a .50cal is absolutely brilliant on normal though.

I vary my killstreaks every few games but right now I'm running with Harrier, Stealth Bomber and AC130, the Harrier always gets you one kill and the follow up carpet bomb hits everything you missed. I'll take the Chopper Gunner over the AC130 depending on the map, Wasteland for example.

#18 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

Best way to beat riot shield users is to sprint up to them and then dodge around them using circle strafing at the last minute. No doubt they'll have swung for you and exposed themselves and a quick knife jab = dead shieldy. If they don't swing, the momentum of you sprinting can often get you beside them before they can turn so you can knife them anyway. They're really not that hard. If you want to make things easier, shoot their shield a bit to obscure their view first, or if you have some space, aim for their feet.

#19 smithstock

smithstock
  • Members
  • 5188 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

I've noticed alot of the better/worser weapons/perks have been changed round in terms of unlock rank.

Claymores higher, Barret Lower, M9 Higher, Cold Blooded (UAV Jammer) Higher etc.

My main gripe is the AK47 - it might cause a stir here but I felt it was the second worst machine gun in CoD4 (after the MP44 or whatever it was). I don't rate it's accuracy at all, I'm glad I already use what I feel are the best two assault rifles - the SCAR and the M4.

#20 Vulgar Monkey

Vulgar Monkey
  • Members
  • 17651 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

Same, although maybe it's different this time.
The game mesh is updated to show a more modern revision of the gun, maybe the performance is altered also?

Also, I wonder how long before we see riot-shielders working in pairs to cover their arses?
In SP their strength lies in their numbers, protecting each others flanks.

#21 Crhis

Crhis
  • Members
  • 3372 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Are guns more powerful in hardcore then? Putting a silencer on a sniper rifle in normal seems to mean everyone needs to be hit (at least) twice.

#22 smithstock

smithstock
  • Members
  • 5188 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

The riot shield protects your back when it's not equipped ;)

#23 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10669 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:25 AM

The riot shield protects your back when it's not equipped ;)

Aye. I discovered this laying prone, whilst taking a capture point in Domination. Some guy was trying to shoot my from an overhead window and the bullets were just pinging off my back.

#24 lenticular

lenticular
  • Members
  • 2105 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:19 AM

Aye. I discovered this laying prone, whilst taking a capture point in Domination. Some guy was trying to shoot my from an overhead window and the bullets were just pinging off my back.

cowabunga dude. ;)

#25 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

Are guns more powerful in hardcore then? Putting a silencer on a sniper rifle in normal seems to mean everyone needs to be hit (at least) twice.

In CoD4 you had 100 hp normally and 30 in hardcore, with all normal rifles doing 20-40 a hit, snipers doing 60 IIRC. So, the same in MW2 more or less, silencer is mandatory for a sniper.

#26 SnoopZakaDaVe

SnoopZakaDaVe
  • Members
  • 3700 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

had a few good games of ground war things, team death and domination i think? with a few guys from here yesterday, good fun - i liked one of the last game i managed to play, when we just took over that one building with the mounted guns and had people in all the windows just raining down fire through that alleyway, they started coming through with riot shields and the grenades started flying!

8 assists i got! i kept shooting people then the guy on the mounted gun would just mow 'em down ^_^ i felt like a bit of capture the flag but host migration happened and my game crashed so i just turned it off.

good stuff though, this game is FAR better with people prepared to talk and make plans - when there's 2-3 of you under fire someone tends to call out where the enemy is and then we'll find a way to get him while keeping cover and firing in his general direction for a little to keep him busy while one goes around and up the stairs to knife him in the back.

#27 Baring

Baring
  • Supporters
  • 11617 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

The riot shield protects your back when it's not equipped ^_^

riot shield is so good in single player. i just done the hard part on Gulag on veteran, just used that and ran through to the shower hole while team cained the enemy :lol:

edit: and i didnt die once :lol: i was dredding this mission before starting on vet as i done the game on regular first lol

#28 smithstock

smithstock
  • Members
  • 5188 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

Has anyone used throwing knifes?

Take a look at how to use them:

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#29 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12508 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

Map with river down middle. Entire team on south side, have been all game. Call in Stealth Bomber on main street of north side. Get 3 team kills and get slayed. They'd just been spawned there and have no idea why since the rest of our team was STILL on the south side.

#30 Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson
  • Members
  • 11355 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Map with river down middle. Entire team on south side, have been all game. Call in Stealth Bomber on main street of north side. Get 3 team kills and get slayed. They'd just been spawned there and have no idea why since the rest of our team was STILL on the south side.

The spawns are seriously messed up in this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users