Little red bugs in my flour

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jaymo (Mrs Spanx)

Jaymo (Mrs Spanx)
  • Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

I'm really very upset. I was going to make some lovely fresh bread for our tea tonight and I open a new packet of flour to find it crawling with little red bugs! I've never seen them before.

How did they get there? How do I never get them again?

Like I say this was a new packet and I've just checked all my other flour that had already been opened (and was perfectly fine until I put this packet on the shelf with them) and they were all infested too. I've had to throw the whole lot out which means no lovely fresh bread that I was really looking forward to :angry:

EDIT: UUrrghh!! I've just checked the other new unopened packets on the shelf and they too are infested. Has anybody else ever had this problem?

urrghhh I feel so itchy!!

#2 RobNoyce

RobNoyce
  • Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

Sorry to hear that.

http://www.pestprodu...lour-beetle.htm

sounds like these.

#3 shoco

shoco
  • Members
  • 1883 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

Yes. Put the flour in sealed containers as soon as you get it, instead of leaving it in the bags. And use the flour within its suggested date.

#4 SuperBrother

SuperBrother
  • Members
  • 2634 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

Flour weevils - they get everywhere, little blighters. You'll need to throw every unopened packet of foodstuff in your cupboard away and start again. It's a good idea to keep your flour in tupperware so it's sealed. Most flours have the eggs in them as they're too little to be removed in the grinding/milling process. Add in a nice warm cupboard and leave your flour in there for a while and that's what you'll always get.

If you've got room, it's a great idea to keep packets of flour in your freezer. It doesn't actually 'freeze' or clump together, but it stops eggs hatching due to the temperature.

#5 Jaymo (Mrs Spanx)

Jaymo (Mrs Spanx)
  • Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the link and tips. I'll have to do all the measures suggested. I can't afford to have infested flour. Grrr I'm so annoyed - and ITCHY!

#6 SuperNashwan

SuperNashwan
  • Members
  • 6336 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

Back home my parents' cupboards had weevils for a long old time, they get in everything.

#7 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 107005 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

would now be a good time to tell about the time I bit into a weetabix and THEN discovered the weevils?

#8 shoco

shoco
  • Members
  • 1883 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

would now be a good time to tell about the time I bit into a weetabix and THEN discovered the weevils?

What's worse than a weevil in a Weetabix?

Spoiler

#9 Fugu

Fugu
  • Members
  • 6814 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

They can't be that harmful. Just bake with them in?!? Or surely they're too big to go through a sieve?

#10 Lo32

Lo32
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

You should let the store you bought the flour from know they had weevils, stands a good chance all theor flour is infected and they will have to take of the shelves, harmless little buggers but they get every where! Definatly wise to take all those precautions ;)

#11 shoco

shoco
  • Members
  • 1883 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

You should let the store you bought the flour from know they had weevils, stands a good chance all theor flour is infected and they will have to take of the shelves

It might be a coincidence that she bought a new packet that day though - they might just have hatched from one of the old ones (like someone said, it usually all has eggs in) and colonised quickly.

#12 super_quincy

super_quincy
  • Members
  • 5012 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

Nuke the entire site from orbit.

#13 Poppalarge

Poppalarge
  • Members
  • 7709 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

After reading this thread I dreamt about these bugs last night.

#14 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41606 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

Posted Image
WANT PROTEIN IN YOUR FLAKES?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users