Age of Conan - erm, what's the snag?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#91 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

I have a 36 guardian and 26 bear shaman on crom. They were on Ymir so I'm assuming they got server merged, and my guardian is now called Tacticus26482946 :P

;) You should transfer him to an RP server with a name like that ;)

TBH, I'd just re-roll whichever class you were thinking of playing. If you've bought the expansion, you'll get 10, 100%xp potions and a new 20-40 zone to level up in.

#92 Bojangle

Bojangle
  • Members
  • 11903 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

I'm playing a Bear Shaman at the minute and totally loving it. Perfect mix of melee and healing for my likings and the fact all my heals (so far anyway) are positional based means I can be in the thick of the action crushing skulls and throwing out heals at the same time. Awesome fun. The new 20-40 zone is wicked fun too, very open with lots of different sights to see.

I'm on Aquilonia (PvP-RP) but I'm considering making a switch to Crom as the server as a whole seems pretty quiet which is a bit worrying.

#93 Bojangle

Bojangle
  • Members
  • 11903 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

[yt]A5tgYra7PrY&hd=1[/yt]

#94 Mallet

Mallet
  • Members
  • 3672 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

I quite enjoyed this when I played the demo but never really saw many people after the starting area, has the game attarcted new players or returning players now that it has a pretty solid reputation?

I could be tempted as I'd quite like a new MMO and there doesn't seem to much chance of TOR or FFxiv appearing anytime soon

#95 therealjohnpeat

therealjohnpeat
  • Members
  • 16719 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

My chars are mostly on Hyrkania (PVE-RP) - friendly and lovely place but not exactly teeming with life (I'll take the friendly bit tho - loads of banter and relatively little grief).

I have a few (< Level 10) alts on Crom and a 13 DT on Aquilonia (PVPLOL) but nothing I'm keen to play.

My main (51) is a Conqueror and that seems to suit me fine (can do damage, can take damage) tho I'm slowly running into more and more 'group required' stuff tho I could use my offline levels to skirt that :D

#96 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30821 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Overall, I love it. Fabulous game. Shame so many people have had their opinion ruined of it by bad first experiences.

I was an original player and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy come release day. What followed was a brilliant introduction with a strange crossbreed of single player and MMO then it just sort of drops you in the main world. All went to shit. I think I levelled up to around 50 but was finding it incredibly boring with very little to do so just gave up as there was no sign that thing's were going to improve. Never been back since.

#97 Bojangle

Bojangle
  • Members
  • 11903 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Had a rubbish ganking experience the other night by a pair of dickheads in the new 20-40 zone which confirmed to me I'll be playing on Crom from now on. I just can't imagine the open PvP being fun in the higher level zones at all. So with that I rolled a new Bear Shaman on Crom and then Funcom announced the changes to the bonus XP potions you get from the expansion being per character rather than account so I downed one of those and powered through Tortage and the first chunk of the new zone. :(

#98 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:57 AM

Had a rubbish ganking experience the other night by a pair of dickheads in the new 20-40 zone which confirmed to me I'll be playing on Crom from now on. I just can't imagine the open PvP being fun in the higher level zones at all. So with that I rolled a new Bear Shaman on Crom and then Funcom announced the changes to the bonus XP potions you get from the expansion being per character rather than account so I downed one of those and powered through Tortage and the first chunk of the new zone. :D

They did?!? :( (the potions) Well, that's a massive woo-hoo for me as it'll make leveling up a PoM a little more appealing that placing my boy parts through a mincing machine onto a plate of salt.

Bojangle: If you're looking for a guild on Crom, send me a tell. Either Shemi or Lurpak. I'm in a great guild who are very helpful. Same goes for anyone else who fancies a guild on Crom :)

#99 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

After spending ages downloading the new patches etc. I logged in the other day for the first time since 08 maybe? Ran like shit, booted me twice and then crashed the third time, requiring a repair of the install files.

So I uninstalled it again.

#100 idespair

idespair
  • Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

I found myself drawn back by talk of the expansion, after tiring of the game on release. I found an old ranger on Crom, which I quickly levelled to 50 whereupon I took advantage of the free lvl 50 to create my customary priest healer.

I've just spent 6 hours running through Cistern/Main System - a fairly mammoth dungeon for a normal 6 man group. Despite wipes-a-plenty, we had no arguments or rage quits. Makes quite a change compared to WoW's 10 minute heroics.

#101 therealjohnpeat

therealjohnpeat
  • Members
  • 16719 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

I've been back a bit over a week and it's not clicking this time around for some reason.

No idea why - I struggled with a poorer PC before and now it runs better I've finding the game a drag. Maybe it's being in the 50s and the Eiglophian Mountains being 'cannibals and more cannibals' - maybe they changed Conquerors and my spec is shit now - but it feels slow wheras I really enjoyed the trip to 50 as it didn't... :D

May roll another char and try the new 20-40 zone to make the most of my subs :quote:

p.s. rolled a Bear Shaman (called Grilles - shoot me now!!) and it's quite good fun - fights tend to be close (as they used to be with my Conqueror) but it also has the "HOW MANY BUTTONS" factor too...

#102 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

I really got the hankering to play this during the week, so set about installing it via the client download on the main site, as I'd lost my game disc. Oh man, the issues I had! First it said it was downloading 7gb, so I left it on overnight. Came back in the morning to find it had crashed or something, so started it again. This time is was 3gb. Left it on whilst I went to work. Came back 8 hours later and it still had 1gb to go! I checked the options on the downloader and I saw that it wasn't downloading anything beyond 'The first five hours of gameplay', so I clicked the other boxes, assuming it would just tack them onto the end, but NO! It started the whole download again, only now it was 10gb! I left it on again over night and thankfully, it actually finished yesterday morning. The drama!

Age of Conan was, during my brief time of playing it during early access/launch, my favourite non-wow mmo, and I've played a few. The setting, the graphics, the story and the music were all top notch and the combat (melee combat, anyway) was satisfying and fun. The game ran like crap on my old machine, though, and had frequent crashes and bugs to the point of being almost unplayable once leaving Tortage. Somehow, I managed to get a Guardian to 36, Bear Shaman to 26 and Barbarian to 22 in this time. I tried the game again last year on the same machine and it ran even worse - I logged in as my Bear Shaman and the game wouldn't even load most of the time and when it did it was unplayable. Seeing as how I got an all singing-all dancing iMac late last year, I thought I'd give AoC a go again.

Anyway, I logged into the game using my old account, whacked all the settings up to Ultra and loaded up with my Bear Shaman. Wow. Godshafts, wind in the trees, DX10 and everything maxed and this is probably the best looking game I've ever seen and the best part - it runs like a dream! No lag, no tearing, nothing. It is sublime!

I do have one problem, though: I can't remember how to play, where to go or what to do! I had 8 'offline levels' to grant, so I gave them to my Guardian, as I planned to make him my main again, without thinking. Now I was level 44, lost in Khemi with massively outdated gear for my level!

The main issue I have with the game is that there hardly seems to be any community resources - even though the expansion only came out last year, most of the guides on the forums haven't been updated since 2008. The world of Hyboria is truly a brutal one - you have to figure out everything on your own! Whilst I'd usually be ok with this, AoC isn't exactly the most noob-friendly game and, almost 3 years into it's life, it is not an easy game to just pick up and play. I decided to start again and roll a new character, but man, even 2 and a bit years on, I'm still sick of Tortage (I must have run Tortage upwards of 10 times at launch trying different characters).

I started playing my Bear Shaman this morning in Connal's Valley. I asked in global where the respec guy was as I'd ballsed up my talents yesterday trying to figure stuff out. I immediately had about 10 whispers from people all telling me. One guy even went so far as to invite me to group, track me down and give me 5gold (or whatever the highest level of currency is) with a 'hope you have fun back in Hyboria'. So far the community on Crom has been amazingly friendly and close knit, although I have no idea what they're talking about in global most of the time due to use of acronyms!

Really looking forward to spending some time in Hyboria again ^_^

#103 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

You're a MMO whore Squid :D

I hope you have fun. I loved AoC and trying to give you some ideas of what to do made me want to fire it up again, but for all its beauty, visceral combat hauntingly beautiful music (the Eiglophian Mountains track is arguably the finest mmo music I've ever heard, perhaps even the best game music) the inescapable fact is that Hyboria is underpopulated and the expansion is a gargantuan slog. You're also missing out on a whole raft of talents that are imperative to have at 80 so if you're enjoying yourself after a couple of weeks, I'd strongly advise you to get the expansion for them alone.

#104 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

I'm not a whore! But I do like my MMOs and, even though I've stopped looking for the next big thing to replace wow, I do like trying them to see what they bring. I'm no drth, here! As I said, AoC was always my favourite of the non-wow mmos and I always wanted to try it again when I upgraded my computer!

Anyway, I've seen a lot people complaining about the looks of the high level expansion armour, but from what I've seen (which admittedly isn't much at all), it looks amazing. I love the Chinese/Korean influence to it all. But again it comes back to the lack of resources; I can't seem to find anywhere where I can see what the tiers of armour look like, the game doesn't seem to have a thing to preview other's armour on yourself and there just isn't much help about at all.

Why is the expansion a massive slog?

#105 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

Regarding the expansion armour, yes some of it is lovely, but some is also the most ludicrously stupid stuff you've ever seen.

Old world T3 armour (highest raid tier available before the x-pac).

Necromancer:

Posted Image

Khitai Necro T4 armour on the right:

Posted Image

T3 Barbarian armour:

Posted Image

Khitai T4 stuff:

Posted Image

Some of it is lovely though.

Herald of Xotli T4:

Posted Image

Khitai Demonologist T4:

Posted Image

And the expansion is a massive slog because even if you're in full T3 gear when you hit Khitai at 80 (and you won't be, T2 at best) the mobs are very hard; especially as you'll have few, if any, top end AA's, no faction gear with the critical mitigation (the faction grind to get tokens for gear is the biggest killer) and you'll be stuck doing all the dungeons on normal (which is still hard) and most stalwart players will be doing God mode dungeons.
And forget about doing all this on alts!

And you so are a whore. drth is a machine and is plugged into a matrix of computers that allow him to play an infinite amount of MMO games simultaneously. where as you just flirt with them one at a time, and like a giant cocktease, leave them before they hit the vinegar strokes (subscription time) :P

#106 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

So essentially what you're saying is I can never catch up, even if I wanted to? :(

Also, get me some pics of Guardians, Bear Shaman and Conquerors. You know, classes I'll actually play? :P

#107 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

So essentially what you're saying is I can never catch up, even if I wanted to? :(

Also, get me some pics of Guardians, Bear Shaman and Conquerors. You know, classes I'll actually play? :P

you could, but it'll take a lot of effort. The xpac AA's could be gained via time and/or xp, so if you played shit loads you might get a bit. It's hard because the top end is stagnant, there isn't the influx of new people hitting 80 that are in the same position as you, so you're forced to deal with the more experienced player base.

#108 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

You'd be surprised how difficult it is to get pictures of old world armour, so you'll have to settle for some T4 of the classes you noted.

Bear Shaman:

Posted Image

Conquer:

Posted Image

Guardian:

Posted Image

Oh, I did get one pic of T3 Conq armour for you Squid:

Posted Image[/url]

You have to bear in mind though, that this expansion, with its very heavily themed Chinese/Korean setting, launched the AoC game in the east so it's no surprise the whole grind nature of it.

Also all the faction armours (they aren't listed by class, but by type of armour: cloth, light, medium, heavy, full plate) have different looks ( I'd say much better) than the T4 raid armour, plus the drops from dungeons are different again, so you'll have a fair amount of choice.

#109 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Yeah I saw a guy wearing armour from the Wolf guys? Looked awesome...

Posted Image

Dunno whose armour that is, but I like it.

I like the whole Chinese/Korean look to the armour. I also liked the Romany kind of vibe, too. I think the armour in game is amazingly designed and has terrific detail.

Got my Conqueror to 22 and just left Tortage. I have a choice of levelling in Cimmeria, Aquilonia or Khitai, now. Which should I pick?

#110 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

That is Wolves of the Steppes armour if I'm not mistaken.

For levelling I'd bounce between Khemi (you can't go to Khitai unless you have the xpac) and The Wild Lands (which is off Tarantia). There is a nice solo dungeon in Khemi when you get to 30ish(?) and there is a nice grp dungeon in WIld Lands too. I found going to any of the lower Cimmerian levels were too much hard work and they had too many grp quests which you have no chance soloing.

#111 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

So, how many subscribers does this have these days? Crom, the server I'm on, seems fairly busy (and very friendly, which is nice), but I remember folk saying the game had dropped to 50k. There are only 4 English servers, I think, so I'm guessing there aren't that many players overall.

#112 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

I think I've seen some graphs that give it around 130k active subscribers, but everyone except Blizzard keeps their sub numbers very close to their chest. I think that's a pretty good user base for a mature-ish MMO. It's the anomaly of WoW that gives publishers the belief that their game is failing if they don't have millions of subscribers. I forgot who, but a big cheese at EA has said that a million active subs for SWToR would still give them a healthy profit per month and that's on a game that is repotedly cost $300million, so you can bet that Funcom are making a good bit of wedge off AoC.

#113 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I've just been struck by how helpful and nice everyone has been. Any question I've asked in the global chat channel has been answered both there and via whispers, people have given me money to help me get started, they're only too happy to talk about their characters and experiences when I ask for advice - it's very refreshing!

I headed out to Khopshef Province last night. It looks pretty. Did some house full of undead and got a couple of blue items - none of which I could use - and will be putting them on the auction house later. I used my veteran reward tokens to buy a load of 25% xp potions.

My only complaint so far is the interface is very clunky and the whole game isn't very noob friendly. Not being able to preview armour sets on yourself is annoying, but a quality of life thing rather than a game breaker. I'm also really not comfortable playing with the WASD key setup, so keep messing up attacks as I try to stretch across to hit 8 or 9. I had a go on my guardian again last night in Noble District and one of his attacks uses Q and then 3 and I found it very uncomfortable!

I really, really wish you could skip Tortage. I completed every single quest there over the weekend on my Conqueror and I really dont want to go through it again any time soon, but quite fancy a Priest of Mitre!

I'll post some screens of my adventures tonight.

#114 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

A POM?!

:massivebigrollingonthefloorunabletocontrolmybowelslaughingmyarseoffcoveredinpisssmily:

I predict you'll have deleted the character before you get to White Sands to rescue the old geezer ;)

POM's have the least solo friendly levelling of any class I've ever encountered; ever. If you fancy rolling a healer, make a TOS. Good HOT's and are AOE demons, while POM's are just....wank.

#115 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

Ah. I was talking to someone who had 3 and thought they were great. I might just stick with my Bear Shaman, then ^_^

Beyond asthetics and which classes you can choose, there are no differences between the races, right?

I find it weird that the Cimmerians, who loath magic, can be Dark Templars and the Stygians, who are all about the magic, can't. I also find it weird that the Khitai, based on the Chinese, can't be Conquerors, given the fuedal history of China...strange decisions.

#116 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

POM's are, without doubt, the best pure healers in the game and you'd always be valued and a shoe-in for any groups/raids that are going. Because they're such pure healers - and the fact you can't heal a mob to death - levelling is tough going with only a few damage options, and hence the teeth pullingly frustrating solo experience. Get a buddy for duo levelling (anything but an assassin) and you're golden.

No difference between the races at all, just the class combinations as you've noted. I believe the idea was that the Stygians were so fixated on magic, they didn't possess the martial prowess to have any soldier classes, but there have been a lot of threads on the forums requesting DTs for them. And they gave the Khitai pretty much a bit of everything. Why peoples from the far east, with their own deities and customs would worship Xotli enough to become a herald, or be shamanistic enough to revere the bear like the Cimmerians do, is purely down to giving Koreans as big a choice as possible and to Hell with the lore <_<

#117 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

I'll probably just stick with my Bear Shaman/Conq then. Bear Shaman seems damn near invincible at 26 unless I take on 3 man group quests :lol: It didn't work out so well...

How does this free level 50 work, anyway? I can pick any class I want, but only once, or do I get one for every toon I get to 50 properly?

#118 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

One off deal*. No returns, no complaints, so pick something you either know the mechanics of already but haven't levelled to 50 (I.E. your BS) or something you will stick with and not regret at a later date.

*per account.

#119 Sergeant Squid

Sergeant Squid
  • Members
  • 6086 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

The fatalities in this are crazy brutal. I saw one on youtube of a guy who cut off the enemy's arm, then his other arm and whilst the guy was there screaming and waving his stumps around, blood spraying everywhere, cut off his head. My Bear Shaman does a nasty one where he clubs them in the face with a gross squelchy noise. It didn't always do that slow mo zoomy effect, though, did it?

#120 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 4062 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

No, DX10 effect.

There is a really nice 2-handed blunt fatality (so works with BS) where the enemy is pushed to the floor, then the player grabs their head with both hands and just rips it off :D

[edit]
Ah, remembered it a bit wrong but the end is still the same.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users