Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therealjohnpeat

Age of Conan - erm, what's the snag?

138 posts in this topic

I've got the expansion, and my DT is happily cutting a swath of death and destruction through the Khitain countryside (patches and downtime permitting of course).

I think it is supremely unrealistic to expect an expansion to be some silky smooth launch, when normal updates usually come with Gremlins, but it seems they're identifying and correct bugs ASAP which is all you can ask for really. And it might be my imagination, but it feels like they've smoothed the DX10 client a bit too - makes it a bit more forgiving on lesser machines.

I thoroughly enjoy the game so I'm forgiving to downtimes etc. and Funcom are a million times more honest and trustworthy than SoE have ever been.

Yeah the official forums are a pretty fun read right now. Bit mental to expect the launch of a new expansion to go without any hiccups. The timing is a bit off right now with it being primetime but if people are having crashes and can't play at all, it's better they get that sorted and have a couple of hours downtime.

I just thought that as it had run pretty well on my old low-end system it would run as well or better on a better system - not WORSE!!

Crashing everytime I zone is comically annoying - and the fact it doesn't run AT ALL on W7-64 (for me at least) is kinda poor...

New GPU coming next week (Pressie so I have to wait) which might improve matters ofc. but still...

[quote name='Bojangle' post='7061658' date='May 12 2010, 03:55 PM']Claim [url="http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/175/Age-of-Conan-Rise-of-the-Godslayer-Loyal-Crocodile-Giveaway.html"]your Loyal Crocodile pet now[/url]! Just under 1300 left when I got mine.[/quote]
Over 10,000 when I got mine - erm - it's counting backwards!? :)

[quote name='therealjohnpeat' post='7062007' date='May 12 2010, 06:52 PM']I just thought that as it had run pretty well on my old low-end system it would run as well or better on a better system - not WORSE!!

Crashing everytime I zone is comically annoying - and the fact it doesn't run AT ALL on W7-64 (for me at least) is kinda poor...

New GPU coming next week (Pressie so I have to wait) which might improve matters ofc. but still...

Over 10,000 when I got mine - erm - it's counting backwards!? :)[/quote]

Maybe they added more?

I think the latest downtime is to (hopefully) fix the crashing.

Seems to have sort-of worked - I only crash going to and from Khemi now - everywhere else seems OK

I've not flipped back to W7 to try that but as I won't see much advantage from the extr a.5Mb of RAM or my crappy DX10 card I'll probably not bother.

Also - no sign of the Croc ingame - it's confirmed on my account but not in the /claim list yet.

I still have a mammoth in there - I should probably claim that or is it dead-slow/better left for an alt to pose on??

I think the mammoth is for every character. I've claimed it on my only one high enough to use it and it's still in my claim list for my numerous low level characters. My croc seems to work fine too, although he buggers off everytime I get into a fight. So much for being loyal. :D

Crivens the Mammoth is - well - it's MAMMOTH. You can't even zoom out far enough to see the bloody thing

Me and my mammoth

[attachment=12454:Kerrang_picture000.jpg]

and my nag for comparison

[attachment=12455:Kerrang_picture001.jpg]

Also this - graphics not on the highest settings back then but those tiny trees down there, you climb up from there - that's all part of the level - it's astonishing this world is...

[attachment=12456:Kerrang_...ture001a.jpg]

ive got a war rhino on my account. its awesome

[img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.massively.com/media/2008/02/eh_aoc_preview_mtg06.jpg[/img]

Well the HDD with XP on it decided to die last night so I'm stuck in W7 now (until the new HDD arrives - backup is ready to go) so I thought I'd percy-vere...

Got the DX10 client working this time but it's ARSEACHINGLY slow to load - painful isn't the word. Once running I get about half the FPS I get from the DX9 client too (same settings apart from the DX10 shit).

Even if I disable the DX10 stuff entirely the DX10 client is AGONISINGLY slower.

OK - my GPU sucks (8600GT) but I don't see why that makes for more than double the loading time from launcher to charselect and TREBLE the time from charselect to ingame!?!?

At least the DX9 client seems fine on here (as it was on XP post-hotfix) and my new GPU will be here next week (nothing amazing - a cheap 5670 - but better than the 8600GT!!)

I did like the zoomy effects DX10 gives but it's not worth twice the loading time and half the fps for that :(

SO - erm - what sort of performance are you guys getting/what sort of settings/what hardware??

Just installed my new 5670 - new Samsung F3 HDD too - selected 'High' quality, 2.5Km distance and DX10/SM4 and I get less than 15fps on average which is a bit poorer than I'd hoped (looks pretty bloody spiffy tho!!)

DX9 - Medium - Long Draw Distance is 50-60fps and that's what I'll play with but I wondered if I've missed something in the settings or whether I need to kick it to notice I have a new GPU (rebuild shaders etc??)

In particular DX10 - why is it such a DRAG on performance?

i was getting pretty spiffy performance with a geforce 9800, quad core q6600, 8gb pc800, 7200rpm hdd, vista 64. in either dx10 OR 9 at 1920x1200, i didnt have AA on though

S Squid, Guards are the premier tank in the game. More than capable soloists if you go polearm route but the least 'involved' of the melee classes (due to them not really having any tricks or depth per se). Bear Shamans on the other hand, are a brutal class to learn, due to the sheer amount of situational abilities they get, but in capable hands they're absolutely awesome. I'm not sure on the other RLLMUKers that play, but I'm on Crom which is the biggest EU/English PvE server (though due to Shrines of Bori, consentual PvP is very much on the up).

Here are a couple of screen from Khitai. This is the last boss of the first dungeon that you come across, and that's my Dark Templer just chillin' :o
[img]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3501/lurpakpicture004.png[/img]

And this is another dungeon, the Reliquary of Flame in the Warmonk Monastery, a very Tibetan styled zone.
[img]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1548/lurpakpicture007.png[/img]
[img]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/82/lurpakpicture008.png[/img]

My graphics are pretty much at medium spec, but I've found the game performing significantly better since the maintenance on Sunday morning.

Overall, I love it. Fabulous game. Shame so many people have had their opinion ruined of it by bad first experiences.

I have a 36 guardian and 26 bear shaman on crom. They were on Ymir so I'm assuming they got server merged, and my guardian is now called Tacticus26482946 ;)

[quote name='Sergeant Squid' post='7073656' date='May 17 2010, 11:25 AM']I have a 36 guardian and 26 bear shaman on crom. They were on Ymir so I'm assuming they got server merged, and my guardian is now called Tacticus26482946 :P[/quote]

;) You should transfer him to an RP server with a name like that ;)

TBH, I'd just re-roll whichever class you were thinking of playing. If you've bought the expansion, you'll get 10, 100%xp potions and a new 20-40 zone to level up in.

I'm playing a Bear Shaman at the minute and totally loving it. Perfect mix of melee and healing for my likings and the fact all my heals (so far anyway) are positional based means I can be in the thick of the action crushing skulls and throwing out heals at the same time. Awesome fun. The new 20-40 zone is wicked fun too, very open with lots of different sights to see.

I'm on Aquilonia (PvP-RP) but I'm considering making a switch to Crom as the server as a whole seems pretty quiet which is a bit worrying.

I quite enjoyed this when I played the demo but never really saw many people after the starting area, has the game attarcted new players or returning players now that it has a pretty solid reputation?

I could be tempted as I'd quite like a new MMO and there doesn't seem to much chance of TOR or FFxiv appearing anytime soon

My chars are mostly on Hyrkania (PVE-RP) - friendly and lovely place but not exactly teeming with life (I'll take the friendly bit tho - loads of banter and relatively little grief).

I have a few (< Level 10) alts on Crom and a 13 DT on Aquilonia (PVPLOL) but nothing I'm keen to play.

My main (51) is a Conqueror and that seems to suit me fine (can do damage, can take damage) tho I'm slowly running into more and more 'group required' stuff tho I could use my offline levels to skirt that :D

[quote name='top-cat' post='7073441' date='May 17 2010, 10:32 AM']Overall, I love it. Fabulous game. Shame so many people have had their opinion ruined of it by bad first experiences.[/quote]

I was an original player and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy come release day. What followed was a brilliant introduction with a strange crossbreed of single player and MMO then it just sort of drops you in the main world. All went to shit. I think I levelled up to around 50 but was finding it incredibly boring with very little to do so just gave up as there was no sign that thing's were going to improve. Never been back since.

Had a rubbish ganking experience the other night by a pair of dickheads in the new 20-40 zone which confirmed to me I'll be playing on Crom from now on. I just can't imagine the open PvP being fun in the higher level zones at all. So with that I rolled a new Bear Shaman on Crom and then Funcom announced the changes to the bonus XP potions you get from the expansion being per character rather than account so I downed one of those and powered through Tortage and the first chunk of the new zone. :(

[quote name='Bojangle' post='7089619' date='May 22 2010, 09:20 PM']Had a rubbish ganking experience the other night by a pair of dickheads in the new 20-40 zone which confirmed to me I'll be playing on Crom from now on. I just can't imagine the open PvP being fun in the higher level zones at all. So with that I rolled a new Bear Shaman on Crom and then Funcom announced the changes to the bonus XP potions you get from the expansion being per character rather than account so I downed one of those and powered through Tortage and the first chunk of the new zone. :D[/quote]

They did?!? :( (the potions) Well, that's a massive woo-hoo for me as it'll make leveling up a PoM a little more appealing that placing my boy parts through a mincing machine onto a plate of salt.

Bojangle: If you're looking for a guild on Crom, send me a tell. Either Shemi or Lurpak. I'm in a great guild who are very helpful. Same goes for anyone else who fancies a guild on Crom :)

After spending ages downloading the new patches etc. I logged in the other day for the first time since 08 maybe? Ran like shit, booted me twice and then crashed the third time, requiring a repair of the install files.

So I uninstalled it again.

I found myself drawn back by talk of the expansion, after tiring of the game on release. I found an old ranger on Crom, which I quickly levelled to 50 whereupon I took advantage of the free lvl 50 to create my customary priest healer.

I've just spent 6 hours running through Cistern/Main System - a fairly mammoth dungeon for a normal 6 man group. Despite wipes-a-plenty, we had no arguments or rage quits. Makes quite a change compared to WoW's 10 minute heroics.