A song of ice and fire

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#631 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15530 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

GRRM's editor did make him move a bunch of chapters from the end of ADWD to the start of WOW, that's why we had a novel where the climax was a character having explosive diarrhea.

#632 Space Gibbon

Space Gibbon
  • Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

It was better than the climax to Feast for Crows, which didn't have much build-up, mostly because nothing happened in the whole book.

#633 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Christ, is his editor an actual chimp? Instead of trimming the crap, they made him put the proper ending in another book? Ffs.

#634 revlob

revlob
  • Tech Team
  • 12022 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

They could have ended it at Jon's last chapter. That would have made for a much better finale.

#635 Space Gibbon

Space Gibbon
  • Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I agree. They could've stuck the Dany chapter in before it. Makes more sense for the more dramatic thing to come after.

The Kevan epilogue was good, though. You've got to wonder what's going to happen with Aegon, since his claim supercedes Dany's.

Also, is Bran going to warg into a dragon? Is that where this is going? I just read the three Dunk and Egg stories this week so I'm interested in the whole Bloodraven business.

#636 imp

imp
  • Members
  • 9952 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

Where did you read the Dunk & Egg stories?

#637 Space Gibbon

Space Gibbon
  • Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I... found them...on the Internet....in torrent form.

#638 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 30416 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Where did you read the Dunk & Egg stories?

Torrent sites are the best place, they are just small stories part of some books filled with similar tales.

#639 Glasgowchivas

Glasgowchivas
  • Supporters
  • 4614 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

They're also really fucking good and while Westeros of young Egg's time was no nicer a place than it is during the events of ASOIAF there's a nicer, lighter feel to the tales. I loved them.

#640 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53189 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Someone has actually taken books 4 and five and edited them into timeline sequence. I'm hoping that if they get to season 4 of the tv show, that they end up doing somewhat the same thing.

#641 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5083 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Pfft. If they edit out Briennes wanderings and the descriptions about food, they could probably fit books 4 and 5 into a single episode.

I really didn't like books 4 and 5.

#642 imp

imp
  • Members
  • 9952 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Someone has actually taken books 4 and five and edited them into timeline sequence. I'm hoping that if they get to season 4 of the tv show, that they end up doing somewhat the same thing.

I think it's already been stated they will be doing that. I'm glad too, I'm hoping they'll end up working better on screen than on the page.

#643 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53189 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Pfft. If they edit out Briennes wanderings and the descriptions about food, they could probably fit books 4 and 5 into a single episode.

I really didn't like books 4 and 5.

I actually really liked both of them. I know a lot of people got bored and started skipping through them, but then they ended up missing out on some really good shit.

#644 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15530 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I know a lot of people got bored and started skipping through them, but then they ended up missing out on some really good shit.

/insert another Dany's final chapter joke.

#645 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9984 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Jaime's last chapter and the last Dorne chapter in A Feast For Crows are both wicked, with proper fuck yeah endings.

#646 Space Gibbon

Space Gibbon
  • Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Jaime's last chapter and the last Dorne chapter in A Feast For Crows are both wicked, with proper fuck yeah endings.

Undermined by the conclusion of that storyline in DwD.

#647 Glasgowchivas

Glasgowchivas
  • Supporters
  • 4614 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

So, GRRM has been in London the last few days and did a webchat at Empire Magazine (can't link to it as empireon-line is blocked in here for some reason); nothing major was revealed as it was mainly chat around the TV adaptation and how happy he was with it BUT....he did reveal that both The Winds Of Winter and A Dream of Spring will be around 1500 pages each.

Now that's the same size as ADWD but is that enought considering that most people didn't feel he'd moved everyone one enough in the 5th book? How many threads has he got to tie up in these two books, especially as he was expanding more and more in ADWD. I just hope he can stick the landing.

#648 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9984 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Undermined by the conclusion of that storyline in DwD.

Which storyline? The Dorne one? Well I guess there was some
Spoiler
, but I don't think that was what Doran had in mind. That storyline is clearly not finished.

#649 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9984 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

On the TV show, I really didn't want to be one of those guys who is like "OH MY GOD THE TV SHOW SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S NOT ALL EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE BOOK", but some stuff is starting to grate a bit. For instance Ros. What is the point in Ros?

This season I'm a bit sceptical about two things so far:

1. The decision to turn Joffrey into a complete fucking psycho. Like, more of a pyscho than he really is. I mean in the books yeah he's horrible and cruel and bonkers, but it is tinged with vulnerability and the cloud of his non-existent relationship with Robert. In the show he just seems to be getting increasingly comic-book villain. Like Ramsay Snow levels of absurd cruelty.
2. Stannis. They seem to be deviating quite a bit from his blueprint of this stern, harsh, humourless, moral guy. Having him fuck Melisandre is just something he wouldn't do. I'm also not getting the stern attitude from him at all really. I appreciate he's not had much screen time so obviously I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but he just seems like a bit of non-entity atm.

#650 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15530 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

For instance Ros. What is the point in Ros?

HBO Game of Thrones, Writers' Bible, Page 3.

1. Ros needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

2. Whenever Ros' not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Ros"?

#651 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9984 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Why the fuck does she always talk through her teeth, too? She does this weird sneering thing all the time. It's really odd.

#652 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16830 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

2. Stannis. They seem to be deviating quite a bit from his blueprint of this stern, harsh, humourless, moral guy. Having him fuck Melisandre is just something he wouldn't do. I'm also not getting the stern attitude from him at all really. I appreciate he's not had much screen time so obviously I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but he just seems like a bit of non-entity atm.

Um, hate to break it to you, but Stannis having sex with Melisandre is definitely something that happens in the book. There's an idea that he's only doing it out of necessity (to produce the shadow babies) but it does happen, you just don't see it because Stannis isn't a POV character. Just like the Renly/Loras relationship.

#653 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9984 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Oh well I guess I was in a particularly non-observant mood when I've read ACOK then. I mean I guessed R+L=J on my first read through. :( It can't be as obvious as the Renly/Loras thing though? Am I really that dim?

#654 Glasgowchivas

Glasgowchivas
  • Supporters
  • 4614 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'm sure there is more than one reference to the "witch" warming his bed at night made by his men on the quiet.

#655 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9984 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Oh well if that's all it is then I guess I just put it down to it being baseless gossip? I dunno.

#656 Sirloin

Sirloin
  • Members
  • 11704 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, its the rule that if you aren't explicitly shown it, it didn't happen isn't it? Happens repeatedly, if you hear about something without seeing it, it's always wrong in the books.

#657 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9984 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

"[Davos] knew that shadow, as he knew the man that cast it."

Hmm fair enough. I'm thick. :(

#658 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53189 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

The people that do Inn at the crossroads are releasing a book!

Posted Image

Ever wonder what it’s like to attend a feast at Winterfell? Wish you could split a lemon cake with Sansa Stark, scarf down a pork pie with the Night’s Watch, or indulge in honeyfingers with Daenerys Targaryen? George R. R. Martin’s bestselling saga A Song of Ice and Fire and the runaway hit HBO series Game of Thrones are renowned for bringing Westeros’s sights and sounds to vivid life. But one important ingredient has always been missing: the mouthwatering dishes that form the backdrop of this extraordinary world. Now, fresh out of the series that redefined fantasy, comes the cookbook that may just redefine dinner . . . and lunch, and breakfast.

A passion project from superfans and amateur chefs Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Sariann Lehrer—and endorsed by George R. R. Martin himself—A Feast of Ice and Fire lovingly replicates a stunning range of cuisines from across the Seven Kingdoms and beyond. From the sumptuous delicacies enjoyed in the halls of power at King’s Landing, to the warm and smoky comfort foods of the frozen North, to the rich, exotic fare of the mysterious lands east of Westeros, there’s a flavor for every palate, and a treat for every chef.

These easy-to-follow recipes have been refined for modern cooking techniques, but adventurous eaters can also attempt the authentic medieval meals that inspired them. The authors have also suggested substitutions for some of the more fantastical ingredients, so you won’t have to stock your kitchen with camel, live doves, or dragon eggs to create meals fit for a king (or a khaleesi). In all, A Feast of Ice and Fire contains more than 100 recipes, divided by region:

• The Wall: Rack of Lamb and Herbs; Pork Pie; Mutton in Onion-Ale Broth; Mulled Wine; Pease Porridge
• The North: Beef and Bacon Pie; Honeyed Chicken; Aurochs with Roasted Leeks; Baked Apples
• The South: Cream Swans; Trout Wrapped in Bacon; Stewed Rabbit; Sister’s Stew; Blueberry Tarts
• King’s Landing: Lemon Cakes; Quails Drowned in Butter; Almond Crusted Trout; Bowls of Brown; Iced Milk with Honey
• Dorne: Stuffed Grape Leaves; Duck with Lemons; Chickpea Paste
• Across the Narrow Sea: Biscuits and Bacon; Tyroshi Honeyfingers; Wintercakes; Honey-Spiced Locusts

There’s even a guide to dining and entertaining in the style of the Seven Kingdoms. Exhaustively researched and reverently detailed, accompanied by passages from all five books in the series and full-color photographs guaranteed to whet your appetite, this is the companion to the blockbuster phenomenon that millions of stomachs have been growling for. And remember, winter is coming—so don’t be afraid to put on a few pounds.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/217995/a-feast-of-ice-and-fire-the-official-game-of-thrones-companion-cookbook-by-chelsea-monroe-cassel-and-sariann-lehrer

#659 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5083 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Ooh, does it have the recipe for Lord Manderley's pies? I hear they're quite tasty.

#660 Alask

Alask
  • Members
  • 6337 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Roast Goat.....

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users