Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

#32 Hemzoozlefluff*

Hemzoozlefluff*
  • Members
  • 9499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

I've just ordered the first book on the strength of all the enthusiasm for the series I've seen on here! DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME FORUMITES.

#33 Talvalin

Talvalin
  • Supporters
  • 4479 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

Er, you do realise that the series hasn't actually been completed right and that there's a distinct possibility that Martin, like Robert Jordan, will drop dead before he finishes the last two books?

I'm only saying this to prepare you for possible disappointment further down the line. In the meantime, enjoy what's available as it's all really good. :)

#34 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16569 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

Apart from the sex scenes which are almost all awful!

#35 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52895 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Tell you what, I'm glad I've read all four books in the past couple of weeks. If I had gotten to the end of A Feast of Crows, saw that the next book might be out next year, look further down and saw June 2005,, and then had to wait 6 years and a month for A Dance of Dragons, I probably would have been annoyed.. Mind I did read that he did have a hell of a lot of it written but then scrapped it and started from scratch. I do actually think (and am probably wrong\) that I know who the other two heads of the dragon will be.

#36 Hemzoozlefluff*

Hemzoozlefluff*
  • Members
  • 9499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

Er, you do realise that the series hasn't actually been completed right and that there's a distinct possibility that Martin, like Robert Jordan, will drop dead before he finishes the last two books?

I'm only saying this to prepare you for possible disappointment further down the line. In the meantime, enjoy what's available as it's all really good. :)

It's too late....the book has arrived! :D

I will be back.

#37 dreamylittledream

dreamylittledream
  • Members
  • 2447 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Not neccesarily such an awful thing - it terms of actually finishing and improving the series Jordan's death was the best thing that oculd have happened to The Wheel of Time saga - the first two Brandon Sanderson volumes (with one more to follow) have been released on schedule and have been much better than the preceeding couple of series entries penned by Jordan.

If the show takes off and Martin dies before the books are completed I suspect something similar might occur - in fact I'd nominate Joe Abercrombie for the task should it be needed

(not that I'm wishing Martin dead here - I'd prefer him just to sort his workrate out and perhaps calm down some of the more sprawling plotlines from the later volumes...)

#38 dreamylittledream

dreamylittledream
  • Members
  • 2447 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

Tell you what, I'm glad I've read all four books in the past couple of weeks. If I had gotten to the end of A Feast of Crows, saw that the next book might be out next year, look further down and saw June 2005,, and then had to wait 6 years and a month for A Dance of Dragons, I probably would have been annoyed.. Mind I did read that he did have a hell of a lot of it written but then scrapped it and started from scratch. I do actually think (and am probably wrong\) that I know who the other two heads of the dragon will be.

Welcome to my world.

Although on the bright side the new book and the show gives me an excuse to re-read the series again from scratch...

#39 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2100 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

I seem to remember reading, linked from on here somewhere no doubt, that Martin has said that under no circumstances will anyone else be allowed to finish his series. The bastard just better finish it then.

#40 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16569 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Yes, it was at some point last year I believe when all the calls of FINISH THE BOOK GEORGE got too much for him and he posted a ranting blog post on his 'Not A Blog' about how he would have all his notes burned if he died before finishing it.

#41 csuzw

csuzw
  • Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

After reading the massive book spoiler I'm now wondering if I did actually read book 4. I definitely own it and can't think why I wouldn't have but some of the stuff mentioned doesn't ring any bells at all. Guess I'm going to have to go back and read the books again :D

#42 MrCarrot

MrCarrot
  • Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

My god. I've just finished book 4 and finally felt safe to read some of the stuff about the series out there on the web. I've just run into the R+L=J speculation and mind = blown

I'd never even considered that

Spoiler

I'm just glad I don't have to wait 6 years for the next part.

#43 Zapp$ter

Zapp$ter
  • Members
  • 2222 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

On the subject of the next book, it appears that there's a preorder promotion on in waterstones, whereby you get A Dance with Dragons plus another book, Prince of Thorns free. The latter is supposedly a promising debut novel by Mark Lawrence and which isn't out until August. I believe you're given an ARC of it when you preorder Dance.

#44 The Boatman

The Boatman
  • Members
  • 3087 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

This is true - you're also guaranteed to get ADWD for half price, the same as Amazon are currently selling it at.

#45 Looper

Looper
  • Supporters
  • 8392 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Japanese covers for the books. I love the look of Tyrion!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 The Fox

The Fox
  • Supporters
  • 9813 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

My god. I've just finished book 4 and finally felt safe to read some of the stuff about the series out there on the web. I've just run into the R+L=J speculation and mind = blown

Spoiler

#47 Melon_Bread

Melon_Bread
  • Members
  • 3509 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

Japanese covers for the books. I love the look of Tyrion!

They are fantastic, a Japanese animated take on the story in the style of the first 4 covers would be amazing.

#48 Looper

Looper
  • Supporters
  • 8392 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

Oh man, it would be beautiful.

Finished book 4, did I miss the *cue big dramatic music* significance of the very very end
Spoiler

#49 MrCarrot

MrCarrot
  • Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I think

Spoiler

#50 Looper

Looper
  • Supporters
  • 8392 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

I think

Spoiler

Spoiler

Christ, I have gone crazy if I'd read it back in 2005 expecting the next book the year after as it says in the postscript :lol:

#51 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3955 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Reading those spoilers reminds me of just how much I've forgotten since I've only read the series through once all those years ago! Think I'll definitely need to go back and re-read them before the new book comes out.

#52 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15381 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

Spoiler

Christ, I have gone crazy if I'd read it back in 2005 expecting the next book the year after as it says in the postscript :lol:

Spoiler

#53 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52895 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Oh man, it would be beautiful.

Finished book 4, did I miss the *cue big dramatic music* significance of the very very end

Spoiler

Spoiler

#54 Silent Runner

Silent Runner
  • Supporters
  • 13676 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Just finished the first book and I think I need to go and lie down. I loved it and I really didn't know where it was going. There were sections where I was just reading pages as quick as I could to get to the action like

Spoiler

Onto book 2.

#55 SuperSheep

SuperSheep
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:32 AM

@ Rudi von Starnberg post.

I kinda get annoyed at that. You create a huge series, with hundreds of thousands of fans and you've been writing this book for years and years. You have to expect people to want it, you created a bloody brilliant world and you're getting pissed off people want more? Just be grateful we're paying for your books and take it all on the chin. It's not like it'll effect how he writes knowing him. Saying he's going to burn it is a bit dickish tbh.

#56 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:01 AM

Just finished the first book and I think I need to go and lie down. I loved it and I really didn't know where it was going. There were sections where I was just reading pages as quick as I could to get to the action like

Spoiler

Onto book 2.

I remember going through the same motions when I was reading it. The emotion packed into that scene is immense.

Spoiler

#57 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

I think

Spoiler

Spoiler

#58 MotiVater

MotiVater
  • Members
  • 5639 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

60% through book 3 here.

I cannot believe what I just read:
Spoiler

Christ, I'm devouring this series. I cannot put it down nor stop thinking about it. Amazing stuff.

#59 Kingpin

Kingpin
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I've just watched episode 5 of the TV series. I just want clarification on something, if it actually happened in GOT or in later books:

Spoiler

After reading the spoiler tags posted above, I really cannot remember a single thing about Feast. Seems I'll be digging into that Tower of the Hand website before Dance comes out.

#60 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16569 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

It's never shown outright
Spoiler

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users