A song of ice and fire

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#541 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

At the risk of a one way ticket to neg city I don't actually care much any more. I am in the minority though.

Same. I seriously think he has lost his way. I'll read the next one, that's for sure, but I'm not gonna be fiending for it like I was with Dance.

I actually liked the whole series a lot more this time round. The first time I read it through in a frenzy, just ploughing forward, waiting for something good to happen (it didn't). This time I took my time and enjoyed the characters I hurried over previously a lot more. Figuring out all the little nuances and background plots is really quite satisfying. Keeping track of who is pulling which strings is a full time job in itself. Also having done nothing but watch and read this since the series started (how many months is that?) it's really weird trying to read anything else right now.

The feeling will fade in time as the years go by and Gurm taunts you by doing seemingly anything other than finishing the bloody book he is supposed to be writing.

I waited out the last six years, and just when I gave up all hope he announced the new one. Coupled with TV execs looking over his shoulder I have a little faith in him this time round.

#542 shock33

shock33
  • Members
  • 4898 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

For me the only bits that dragged were the Dany bits, the characters just aren't that interesting, I didn't care about Hizar whatsisface, I didn't particularly care about the plague and who it was killing, I didn't care about the sons of the harpy. Hell, the only interesting characters in the whole storyline there are Dany, Barriston, and the Dragons, and he managed to remove the dragons for most of it!

Take those out and I thought it ran at a reasonable pace, and anything not there was almost as good as the previous books I thought.

#543 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

The Westeros is so much more interesting than the stuff across the Narrow Sea. Except Tyrions chapters.

#544 Delargey

Delargey
  • Supporters
  • 4576 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

And Ayra.

#545 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

I found Tyrion's chapters got a bit boring for a while though, didn't care for any of that nonsense with Penny, the dog and the pig.

#546 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53442 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

Okay, caught up on the thread now, too. Few things:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#547 fragglerock

fragglerock
  • Supporters
  • 8658 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

And Ayra.

It is hard (for me) to see where her story is going though... all seems pretty random!

#548 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

I thought the same about Jon Snow :ph34r: Not nearly enough Arya in this book.

#549 The Fox

The Fox
  • Members
  • 10268 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

At the risk of a one way ticket to neg city I don't actually care much any more. I am in the minority though.

Same. Feast and Dance have really taken things off the boil for me and I've lost a lot of interest.

#550 Mallet

Mallet
  • Members
  • 3651 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

Same. Feast and Dance have really taken things off the boil for me and I've lost a lot of interest.

I have to say I feel the same as well, those 2 books needed a ruthless editor and turned into a single book and even then it wouldn't have been up to the first books. I'll keep an eye on the next book but I won't be pre-ordering or rushing to buy it.

#551 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

I think the issue with the series now is that there is just so much going on that progressing the story of the world is taking ages.
I have found throughout the series, but more so as it progressed, that a chapter would end and I really wanted to read the next from that viewpoint straight away. Instead though I had a chapter to read from a viewpoint that I was not currently into. By the end of that chapter I had a renewed desire to read about the new character, had forgotten about the last but was looking at the next as if it was an impediment to finding out what is going to happen again.
What this is really, is that I like all the view points but I have a really strong desire to see the world move on and find out how it is all going to turn out. This is becoming progressively harder the wider the view of the story spreads and the more characters it encompasses.
I can only hope that with the books to come, these threads are actually drawn together or concluded so that the overall arc can come to a satisfactory end.

#552 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 17352 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

I was really expecting Martin to draw the strands together somewhat in Dance. As it stands, he expanded the storylines even more, and even strands that appeared to be heading to a confluence (like everyone heading to Meereen) ended the book largely separate, still. On top of that he added several whole new plot strands.

I'm not sure how he's going to satisfyingly tie things together in two books.

#553 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

The thing is (and there's always a thing, isn't there?) that these last two books are _literally_ filler. They're what he needed to get out the way before he could carry telling on the story. Right? So obviously something's gone wrong somewhere, but hopefully it just means that everything's in place to roll forward as he had it planned, now. And by that I mean that rather than expecting the strands to be tied together at this point, I expect them to be laid out in order, ready to be picked up and threaded neatly into the ending in the next few books.

I doubt there'll be only 2 though.

#554 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53442 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

Aye, he's already said there are going to be 8 total now

#555 Zapp$ter

Zapp$ter
  • Members
  • 2224 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Aye, he's already said there are going to be 8 total now

He did? I'd have thought that would have been all over the blogs I follow and I don't recall anything turning up in my rss feed about it. Do you have a link to that?

#556 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 53442 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

He did? I'd have thought that would have been all over the blogs I follow and I don't recall anything turning up in my rss feed about it. Do you have a link to that?

To be fair, rereading the article he didn't come straight out and say there would be eight books but it was originally only meant to be three and so far it has spread to secen so I wouldn't be surprised either way

http://www.theatlant...dragons/241738/

#557 Zero9X

Zero9X
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:33 PM

I'm really having a hard time getting through A Feast For Crows. His erotic fixation describing food every other chapter is getting right on my nerves and the uninteresting new povs are meh. Does it improve?

#558 Glasgowchivas

Glasgowchivas
  • Supporters
  • 4884 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

I'm really having a hard time getting through A Feast For Crows. His erotic fixation describing food every other chapter is getting right on my nerves and the uninteresting new povs are meh. Does it improve?

I felt it did, yes. It's probably the low point of the series so far, but even saying that, the overall story is too good to give up on.

Stick with it. You're only about 600 pages away from reading awesome Tyrion chapters again.

EDIT: To be clear, that's in A Dance With Dragons.

#559 FishyFish

FishyFish
  • Supporters
  • 11925 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

So, I've just finished A Clash of Kings and am wondering; is it best to buy the complete edition of A Storm of Swords, or read each part seperately? Does it work as two seperate volumes? Are they each self-contained? Or am I best off just reading it all in one go?

The reason I ask is that I'm interspersing my Song of Ice and Fire reading with other novels. Based on the current amount of time I have for reading, the full volume will take me in the region of four to six weeks to read, which I don't mind, but if the two parts work as standalone books, I might slip something else in between them.

Really liked Clash of Kings - it pretty much destroyed any pre-conceived ideas I had on the direction the story would take following Game of Thrones and has now generated a nicely suspensful 'all-bets-are-off' anticipation for what might happen in the future volumes.

#560 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

So, I've just finished A Clash of Kings and am wondering; is it best to buy the complete edition of A Storm of Swords, or read each part seperately? Does it work as two seperate volumes? Are they each self-contained? Or am I best off just reading it all in one go?

The reason I ask is that I'm interspersing my Song of Ice and Fire reading with other novels. Based on the current amount of time I have for reading, the full volume will take me in the region of four to six weeks to read, which I don't mind, but if the two parts work as standalone books, I might slip something else in between them.

Really liked Clash of Kings - it pretty much destroyed any pre-conceived ideas I had on the direction the story would take following Game of Thrones and has now generated a nicely suspensful 'all-bets-are-off' anticipation for what might happen in the future volumes.

The split of A Storm of Swords into two paperback volumes was done for practical rather than literary reasons. (A paperback that small with that many pages in it would be thicker than it was wide.) It is really just one big book with no sensible split in it. The first volume is warming up for the events in the next.

I would recommend reading the two volumes one after the other, as if it was one book.

#561 Pete

Pete
  • Members
  • 4103 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Book 3 is so good you won't be able to stop halfway anyway.

#562 FishyFish

FishyFish
  • Supporters
  • 11925 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Cheers guys. Will get the full thing when I've finished reading Bad Science and 11.22.63.

#563 SqueakyG

SqueakyG
  • Members
  • 3045 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I have finished! It all! The sense of accomplishment is also joined by this feeling:

"WOOOO. I CANNOT POSSIBLY GET SPOILED BY ANYONE ON THE INTERNET ABOUT ANYTHING NOW. I KNOW IT ALL!"

Now I must (needs) hope that GRRM takes care of his cholesterol level and looks after himself for a few more years.

FishyFish: Read the complete A Storm of Swords now. :) It's the best book in the series. The first half moves along quite nicely, but by around... ohh... 60%... it becomes a series of awesome jaw dropping moments.

#564 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

I have finished! It all!

Have you read the Dunk & Egg novellas too?
I think they added a lot to my understanding of Westeros's history.

#565 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 5156 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm about 250 pages through the third book, but haven't watched the TV series yet. I'm in two minds whether I should start the show or wait until I've finished the series. In my minds eye I have an idea how each character talks and looks and I don't want the TV show affecting that. Or would I be pleasantly surprised with the characters on the show?

#566 Looper

Looper
  • Members
  • 8392 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

I would have thought so - I came into it around the same time I think and loved the TV show. They're all very well cast, and it looks really authentic.

#567 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 17352 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, honestly if you're not happy with the casting and almost everything else about the TV show then you wouldn't be happy with anything.

#568 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15222 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

I'm on the last hundred pages of A Clash of Kings, it's brilliant. Perhaps even better than Thrones, which I read shortly after watching the (amazing) tv series.

Spoiler

I think Varys is my favourite character. After Bronn of course.

#569 FishyFish

FishyFish
  • Supporters
  • 11925 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

I felt the same. It's like the entirety of A Game of Thrones is just a preface for what's to come.

SPOILERS UP TO THE END OF A CLASH OF KINGS
Spoiler

#570 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 17352 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

You'll both be happy to hear that, for season 2 of the TV series:

Spoiler

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)