A song of ice and fire

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#1 Jansh

Jansh
  • Members
  • 1136 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:02 AM

Amazing stuff. I blazed through the first 3 books, and just how most excellent are they.

Gregor Clegan and his brother, Jaime, Tyrion. And other characters are just amazing. Its crack fiction. And I liked the raping bits.

And the way the wall is so important. Jon Snow etc.

#2 Goldaline

Goldaline
  • Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
:OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

#3 Delargey

Delargey
  • Supporters
  • 4406 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

Amazing stuff. I blazed through the first 3 books, and just how most excellent are they.

Gregor Clegan and his brother, Jaime, Tyrion. And other characters are just amazing. Its crack fiction. And I liked the raping bits.

And the way the wall is so important. Jon Snow etc.

I'm the same. I've gone though the first three books in the last couple of weeks, it's amazing. Tyrion, Arya and Deanerys are some of my favourites.

I'm on the Blood and Gold at the momment. Awesome stuff.

#4 codeque

codeque
  • Members
  • 2129 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Man, that's some fast reading. I've now just started the third. Brilliant stuff.

#5 Delargey

Delargey
  • Supporters
  • 4406 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, I've got an hour and a half journey to work and taken to reading it before bed. I've been having awesome Knight related dreams as a result! :)

#6 The Grand Pursuivant

The Grand Pursuivant
  • Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

I actually can't wait for this. I think I might be more excited about it than when Children of Hurin came out, and that's a hell of a lot of excitement.

#7 Ajay1986

Ajay1986
  • Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

I'm gonna do a re-read before the release of Dragons. Sandor is still my favourite character just because he's fucking nuts.

#8 roskelld

roskelld
  • Members
  • 17821 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:39 AM

I'm about two-hundred pages from the end of A Feast For Crows. It's still really enjoyable, but not so much as the previous books. As complex and character filled as the previous books were I barely found them a struggle to keep up with. This book however seems a lot more difficult to follow. I'm often confused when starting a new chapter wondering who and what the characters were up to last time I read about them. I think the chapters are longer in this book and it works against it.

#9 Blunted

Blunted
  • Members
  • 5066 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

I just finished it and would totally agree with that. Still enjoyed it, just nowhere near as much as the earlier books.

#10 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3955 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

I want to post this is every thread GRRM has been mentioned just to make sure everyone sees this video.

Taiwanese TV telling it like it is.

#11 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16632 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

About half of the jokes are taken from 'The Bad Thread' over on Something Awful, and there's an SA grenade logo visible at one point... wonder what connection the Taiwanese animators have to that. :D

#12 Pistol

Pistol
  • Members
  • 8569 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

This sounds like something I might like to read. I see that there's a TV adaptation of it about to start on Sky Atlantic; would the general consensus be to stay the hell away from it until I've read the books?

#13 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16632 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

It's quite likely that the TV series will end up being better than the books. The first season is only going to cover the first book anyway, so there's no point in holding off watching until you've read all the books.

#14 Fieldini

Fieldini
  • Supporters
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

This sounds like something I might like to read. I see that there's a TV adaptation of it about to start on Sky Atlantic; would the general consensus be to stay the hell away from it until I've read the books?

I would say the rule of thumb here is to read the books before watching any kind of tv or movie adaptation. There are very few examples of times when a tv series or movie has surpassed the experience of reading the original book and utilising your own imagination to create in your head the characters and world the author is describing to you.

Having read all the song of ice and fire books so far I am in two minds whether to watch the series or not. I have my own idea of how the characters appear and what the world is like I and do not want this to be supplanted by how someone else imagines it to be in the TV show.

#15 Fondue

Fondue
  • Members
  • 15832 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Of more(?) interest is that Joe Abercrombie (author of The Blade Itself, etc) is interviewing GRRM and meant to be shown before the first episode:
http://www.joeabercr...of-thrones-etc/

Should be good!

#16 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11165 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

I started reading Game of Thrones yesterday. I'm about 100 pages in so far and really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to the TV show now.

#17 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16632 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think everyone is. Especially Gurm.

Posted Image

#18 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11165 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

It's starting to get really good now. It'll start depressing me with just how vile and nasty some of the situations can be (Poor Dany) and then shortly after will shower me with ace situations and how great people can be (Yay Dany).

I also like how it's very gradually filling in the back story. About Summer and Winter and the dragons.

#19 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11165 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Just heading into the final stretch of book one now. I'm unsure. I like it and enjoy it but the sheer cruelty of some of the characters and situations is really offputting. Then it'll do something that cheers me up, then take a big shit on someone to make up for it.

I'm guessing he's going to be introducing new characters as the series progresses because it's obvious nobody is safe and the way he's burning through them (And people spoiling later books in the TV thread tells me he's not done yet) means he's liable to run out :)

I would like one spoiler if someone would be so kind

Spoiler
:)

One thing I'm figuring out

Spoiler

#20 Melon_Bread

Melon_Bread
  • Members
  • 3511 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Spoiler
:)

Spoiler

#21 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11165 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:08 AM

Oh yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

#22 Anjin

Anjin
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

He's finally done it. . . .

Spoiler

#23 Aluco

Aluco
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Awesome.
That is my summer holiday reading sorted then.

#24 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3955 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

I loved The Fox's excellent summary of who everyone is and where they all are in the Game of Thrones TV thread but I've found it an amusing exercise to compare that to where they are now in the books. I'm doing this from memory (and a bit of wiki checking) so any corrections are welcome!

So yeah thanks to The Fox for doing all the hard layout work, major book spoilers ahead.

Do not open unless you have read all the books in the Game of Thrones series!

MASSIVE BOOK SPOILERS

Spoiler

#25 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16632 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Oh how far we've come! :D

Be good to finally read A Dance With Dragons. And then we can all start moaning about how The Winds of Winter isn't out yet.

#26 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15399 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

You left off Hot Pie. :quote:

#27 Headache

Headache
  • Members
  • 3955 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

He hasn't appeared in the TV series yet!

#28 Harsin

Harsin
  • Members
  • 15399 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

True, who can HBO hire that can truly do justice to the role. Maybe Edward Norton in some make-up.

#29 Rudi von Starnberg

Rudi von Starnberg
  • Committee Member
  • 16632 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hot Pie has already been cast!

Posted Image

#30 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52967 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

He looks like he'd make a better Sam. I wonder who they will cast as Brienne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users