The worst crimes in music

• Please log in to reply
610 replies to this topic

#61 esar

esar
  • Members
  • 6017 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

The gun shots at the beginning of Nas - Made You Look are my favourite..CHKA-BLOAW

#62 the_debaser

the_debaser
  • Members
  • 13268 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

I agree with everything debaser just posted. There's a Raekwon "chkaBLAOW" that I particularly like. I can hear it in my head right now, but there are too many songs that it could be from ;)

Gotta be.. Yo niggaz respect mine or anger the tech nine... Ch-ch BLAOW!!!

#63 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23844 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

The gun shots at the beginning of Nas - Made You Look are my favourite..CHKA-BLOAW

That's an actual gunshot, though. Ain't no onomatopeia. Either that or Nas is actually the black guy from Police Academy who does the noises with his mouth.

#64 esar

esar
  • Members
  • 6017 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

haha, I think I got the wrong end of the stick. And for making me look a fool, im going to have to shoot you...

BLAM BLAM BLOAW BLOAW BRRRRRRAAAPPP!

#65 Paleo Alto

Paleo Alto
  • Members
  • 6094 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

Lest we forget the best example of key change and vocoder in the same track ;)

Game got real in '84:

Prayer Baby

#66 CGB

CGB
  • Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Nu-Jazz, Nu-Soul, Nu-House or whatever the bollocks it's called. It's like old sixties, seventies soul mixed together with kind modern beats in the background. It's so MOR, it's like your favourite bands being covered by some session musicians and being held up as cool, it's like bloody lift music. It should only be on quietly in the background of wine bars. It just does not challenge the brain in anyway. GRRR.

(oh and the people who collect it, cretins the lot of them. oh, I found this flicking through the vinyls. YAWN YAWN)

I like some stuff like that. ;) Parov Stelar is awesome!

I personally can't get along with any kind of lighthearted/joke music. Stuff like Tenacious D, Flight of the Conchords, Weird Al, etc. It just does nothing for me. ;)

#67 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23844 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

There's plenty of great neo-soul music, though I'm not sure if that was part of what he was attacking.

Regardless, D'Angelo and Erykah Badu are genuine talents.

#68 FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop
  • Members
  • 4443 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

MIA's Paper Planes would've rocked more if she went 'pew pew pew pew' over the chorus instead of using sound effects.

Silenced pistol onomatopoeia is underrated.

#69 Judgement

Judgement
  • Members
  • 11751 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

#70 CGB

CGB
  • Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

There's plenty of great neo-soul music, though I'm not sure if that was part of what he was attacking.

Regardless, D'Angelo and Erykah Badu are genuine talents.

Hmm, well I'm on about stuff like this:

I think it's pretty good. ;)

#71 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10682 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

MIA's Paper Planes would've rocked more if she went 'pew pew pew pew' over the chorus instead of using sound effects.

Silenced pistol onomatopoeia is underrated.

Nah, I like the sound effects.

I seem to remember there being some Timbaland production that used the silenced PPK sound effect from Goldeneye. That was rad.

Edit: I think it was Bjork's 'Innocence'.

#72 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

This song he did with Bjork from the much maligned Volta?

Edit: I think it was Bjork's 'Innocence'.

Priiiiiiiiiccck. ;)

#73 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10682 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

Haha, sorry. Only a temporary brain fail, there.

I liked Volta, but then Bjork could fart in my face and I'd probably love it.

#74 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23844 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

You ever seen Bjork live? :D ;) ;)

#75 LittleJoe

LittleJoe
  • Members
  • 9106 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

I liked Volta, but then Bjork could fart in my face and I'd probably love it.

I haven't listened to it in quite a while, but remember being very underwhelmed by it. It was an OK album, I guess it was just the awesome nature of the album's preceding it that made it seem like more of a fall from grace.

Might break my Beatles marathon and give it another spin tonight; a lot of it sounded better live when I saw her at the Apollo last year. Gig of the year.

#76 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10682 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

You ever seen Bjork live? :( ;) :D

Front row on the last tour, man. I was all glaring up her skirt and everything. ;)

As for musical crimes, remix albums never really work, do they? I can think of about two good ones.

#77 the_debaser

the_debaser
  • Members
  • 13268 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

Musical crimes?

Number 1 is clearly whenever anyone spells out a word in a song. Even the mighty RAGE on Know Your Enemy were guilty of this with D-E-F-I-A-N-C-E. Fuck sake lads, I know how the word is spelled.

#78 BlinkyBear

BlinkyBear
  • Members
  • 9214 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

Alive 2007 would have been Daft Punk's master work had they included some gun noises.

Fuuuuuuck.
Man's got a point.
Pretty much everything is better with gun noises and Alive is pretty much perfect. How to improve it? Gun noises.

Lily Allen did two amazing mixtapes way back when and went mental with airhorns, braps and shit. I absolutely rinsed those when travelling; used to kick parties off all the time.

By that I mean, I used to wave my hands a bit when I was on a train or some shit.

#79 FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop
  • Members
  • 4443 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:29 PM

Musical crimes?

Number 1 is clearly whenever anyone spells out a word in a song. Even the mighty RAGE on Know Your Enemy were guilty of this with D-E-F-I-A-N-C-E. Fuck sake lads, I know how the word is spelled.

I don't mind it if it actually sounds good.

I mean, saying 'defiance' doesn't take as much time as spelling it out and maybe the rhythm makes it hard to fill the gap with other words.

How about token acoustic songs on an album? Or token acoustic albums? Foo Fighters and that second disc of In Your Honour. And all the heavy rock albums that have a totally unplugged song with just the vocalist and an acoustic guitar that lasts about 5 minutes.

Yeah, that's really creative. The rock was tiring me out so much over 6 songs that the most boring fingerpicked lullaby about committing suicide or falling in love is the only cathartic device that can aid my recovery. Thanks a fucking lot guys.

It's like going from one extreme to another. There's absolutely no middle ground.

#80 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10682 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

I like that Bobby Digital track where RZA's just spelling the name out.

This one:

Haven't heard that in years, actually.

#81 the_debaser

the_debaser
  • Members
  • 13268 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

BOBBY?

Man, Rza is just such a shit emcee, no wonder he employed the spelling 'technique' on only the second track on his Digital album. You'd never see Meth do it. Someone tell me Meth has never done it. Right? If Meth has done it then, you know, it's still shit but not number 1 in the shit list.

#82 Vermin

Vermin
  • Members
  • 10682 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

I don't really understand that whole beard/shave thing, but even I'm not falling for that one, debaser.

#83 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23844 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:55 PM

I love RZA on the mic. Like, FUCKING LOVE HIM. He's amazingly bizarre. Just check his verse at the end of Ghost's 'Nutmeg' track (from 2:53-ish):

;)

#84 the_debaser

the_debaser
  • Members
  • 13268 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:01 AM

I think RZA just sounds terrible on every song he's on, post 36 chambers anyway. Like he's just trying too hard or maybe he's too nasal or someting.

No doubt as a producer he's up there with Dre and Preemo, whoever. But as an MC, man, lyrics are great but the delivery is just shite.

#85 Empty

Empty
  • Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:40 AM

as much as it pains me to agree with someone who i visualize actually being william hague, i do agree with you on the RZA. I much prefer it when he sits back and delivers the beats and leaves the rhymes to other people, he isn't terrible by any means, but he is dwarfed by most of the members of the wu-tang in that field. killer producer, though, fucking amazing.

#86 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23844 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

I love his voice and his lisp and all that, though. His New York accent is ridiculous. He's a rapper with a speech impediment, and he talks PISH. What's not to love? You say he doesn't hold his own around other Wu MCs, but he's got the best verse on this big, packed-out Wu-Tang posse-cut:

... mostly because of the delivery. Man, I just LOVE his delivery. He sounds fucking deranged. And what about his lunatic turn on the Gravediggaz album? He is frankly amazing to hear on that.

#87 Basement St. Thomas

Basement St. Thomas
  • Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:19 AM

Lest we forget the best example of key change and vocoder in the same track ;)

Game got real in '84:

Prayer Baby

And the key change follows an odd bar of 3/4, too! Out there stuff!

At least the vocoder is used on background vocals though...

#88 SM47

SM47
  • Members
  • 15224 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:23 AM

A whole lot of shit being talked in here about The RZA. In my opinion he's the most underrated Wu emcee of all.

Aiyyo, camouflage chameleon, ninjas scalin your buildin
No time to grab the gun they already got your wife and children
A hit was sent, from the President, to rage your residence
Because you had secret evidence, and documents
On how they raped the continents

etc.

And what about his lunatic turn on the Gravediggaz album? He is frankly amazing to hear on that.

His verse on 1-800-Suicide is actually indescribably amazing.

#89 futureshock

futureshock
  • Supporters
  • 19259 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

Musical crimes?

Pulp's F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E. is a masterpiece.

#90 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23844 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

A whole lot of shit being talked in here about The RZA. In my opinion he's the most underrated Wu emcee of all.

w3rd. I was almost getting up in the middle of the night to come and post his '4th Chamber' verse, but you saved me the hassle. Protons, electrons always cause explosions :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users