kerraig UK

The worst crimes in music

922 posts in this topic

The worst invention since Hitler.

Whoever owns the patent must be gutted with the way that turned out.

That Wendy Carlos's career plays second fiddle to her personal life.

This isn't really the case, is it?

I hate it when something amazing starts happening just as the song fades out on a 10 minute record, like there wasn't time to fit it in.

I don't like when people crowbar influences from another genre into their stuff with no real love for it. I always feel like that when Kanye West apes some European dance stuff like he's the first to hear it, or when everyone goes nuts for Bollywood for 2 months every few years.

Like that bloody "JaiHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" song by the Pussycat Dolls. Not only a crap Bollywood cash-in, but the male voice is Autotuned to fuck on the chorus. I realise it's probably just the same male vocal sample as used in the verse with the last note played around with, but it goes through me.

ooh, punk covers of 80's tunes suck

as do most covers albums to be honest.

I like these ;)

When crap pop bands like Spice Girls/ Atomic Kitten use cheesy Spanish guitar samples.

Also worst song ever - Mi Chico Latino by Gerri Halliwell. Absolute ear cancer.

anything by manic street preachers

;)

Although....having pulled that face I haven't had any interest in anything they've released since 1996. A few good things here and there but generally it's been meh.

Overexposure of any song on commercial radio. It seems that all the radio stations I have available to me, although playing songs I like, tend to have a very limited catalogue and play the same 5~7 hit songs several times a day for months on end. This can kill any good song.

even the mundane sounds better with sound effects. in the supermarket - Frosties... BLAM! in the basket... next aisle, toilet paper... CHK-CHK POW!

:(:blink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

There's a Britney song that does that right at the beginning.

Intro, first line: "Let's just stop -", music stops. Bit premature. I am secretly fond of it though. It's when it kills the momentum of the song that I hate it. Like in The Heinrich Maneuver by Interpol.

The only time when the 'Stop'/music break thing works for me is in that Electric Six song where it doesn't start up again until he yells 'CONTINUE'.

The only time when the 'Stop'/music break thing works for me is in that Electric Six song where it doesn't start up again until he yells 'CONTINUE'.

I love that sort of thing. It's like with a lot of dEUS' songs they do that thing where the singer directs the band during the song, so it starts off bit by bit and the singer is just going 'bass... guitarrrr... effects... drums....' and shit in a proper sultry voice.

Sexy.

:wub:

Although....having pulled that face I haven't had any interest in anything they've released since 1996. A few good things here and there but generally it's been meh.

But... Journal For Plague Lovers!

Would totally agree were it not for Stevie Hyper D, GQ and Conrad. Hyper does (did) the hyperactive stuff really well. GQ and Conrad have a much more considered approach, they understand the role I think. Hyper's the father of them all when it comes to the rave stuff though, absolutely love him. Anyone heard his James Bond theme verse? Oh man.

Stevie Hyper D - RIP. Sad sad days when he passed away. I still have some dubplates from his albumn somewhere.

You forgot the daddies - The Ragga Twins. Stevie was a master at getting the rave going and the Ragga Twins were just pure laughs. Seeing Five-0, Ragga Twins, Dett, Skibadee all not passing the mic to MC Shabba at one of the Jungle Fever events still makes me smile. Nicky Blackmarket on the Decks, Stevie Hyper D on the mic - GET IN.

The thing is a lot of Jungle Mc's just have phrases but not real lyrics whereas the toasters from reggae etc seemed to have some more deeper vibes going on. For a party / rave with 3,000 loons with air horns and energy to expel then the 'hated' MC bring the noise.

Pop music with the theme of self-pity. Self indulgent cunts.

Synth-drums.

Vocoder.

Coldplay.

Garage.

Kayne West.

Jaz-Z.

Songs under 3 minutes.

Indeed, but I believe in those cases they are the best representations of the particular trends I dislike.

"Real" bands who play "real" music with "real" instruments.

Particularly the ones following the word 'stop' in the lyrics.

Mmm?

Songs under 3 minutes.

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song

Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin'

Devo - Whip It

Eddie Cochrane - 20 Flight Rock

Johnny Cash - Five Feet High And Rising

Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire

The Box Tops - The Letter

The Clovers - Love Potion no.9

Ray Charles - Hit The Road, Jack

Elvis Presley - All Shook Up

The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved

The Specials - Too Much Too Young

The Who - I Can't Explain

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

These are just a few quickly scanned from my itunes playlist.

A song should only stay around as long as it has something to say, then get out. All of the above songs are perfect in that they achieve that which they aim to achieve, and most are under TWO minutes.