• Announcements

• TehStu

Login with your DISPLAY NAME, not old username   02/10/16

IP.board v4 has changed how you login. Previously, you had a username and a display name. The username would be used to login to the forum, whereas the display name would appear alongside posts. It's possible they were one and the same, but also possible that they changed over time, as you updated your display name. From now on, login with your display name. The username no longer exists.
    • TehStu

iPhone users: please read this   02/10/16

The burger menu may be missing from the top right of the forum when viewing on an iPhone. Until resolved, here is the direct url to the login page.  
    • TehStu

ALL spoilers are currently visible   02/10/16

As posts have not yet been rebuilt, all spoilers are currently visible. If you're following something (film/game) and want to avoid spoilers, AVOID the relevant thread until the post rebuild is complete. I'll delete this announcement when it's done.
kerraig UK

The worst crimes in music

820 posts in this topic

[quote name='Calashnikov' post='6405788' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:53 PM']You ever seen Bjork live? :( ;) :D[/quote]

Front row on the last tour, man. I was all glaring up her skirt and everything. ;)

As for musical crimes, remix albums never really work, do they? I can think of about two good ones.

Musical crimes?

Number 1 is clearly whenever anyone spells out a word in a song. Even the mighty RAGE on Know Your Enemy were guilty of this with D-E-F-I-A-N-C-E. Fuck sake lads, I know how the word is spelled.

[quote name='Art Vandelay' post='6404856' date='Sep 11 2009, 05:53 PM']Alive 2007 would have been Daft Punk's master work had they included some gun noises.[/quote]

Fuuuuuuck.
Man's got a point.
Pretty much everything is better with gun noises and Alive is pretty much perfect. How to improve it? Gun noises.

Lily Allen did two amazing mixtapes way back when and went mental with airhorns, braps and shit. I absolutely rinsed those when travelling; used to kick parties [i]off[/i] all the time.

By that I mean, I used to wave my hands a bit when I was on a train or some shit.

[quote name='the_debaser' post='6405812' date='Sep 12 2009, 12:06 AM']Musical crimes?

Number 1 is clearly whenever anyone spells out a word in a song. Even the mighty RAGE on Know Your Enemy were guilty of this with D-E-F-I-A-N-C-E. Fuck sake lads, I know how the word is spelled.[/quote]

I don't mind it if it actually sounds good.

I mean, saying 'defiance' doesn't take as much time as spelling it out and maybe the rhythm makes it hard to fill the gap with other words.

How about token acoustic songs on an album? Or token acoustic albums? Foo Fighters and that second disc of In Your Honour. And all the heavy rock albums that have a totally unplugged song with just the vocalist and an acoustic guitar that lasts about 5 minutes.

Yeah, that's really creative. The rock was tiring me out so much over 6 songs that the most boring fingerpicked lullaby about committing suicide or falling in love is the only cathartic device that can aid my recovery. Thanks a fucking lot guys.

It's like going from one extreme to another. There's absolutely no middle ground.

I like that Bobby Digital track where RZA's just spelling the name out.

This one:

Haven't heard that in years, actually.

BOBBY?

Man, Rza is just such a shit emcee, no wonder he employed the spelling 'technique' on only the second track on his Digital album. You'd never see Meth do it. Someone tell me Meth has never done it. Right? If Meth has done it then, you know, it's still shit but not number 1 in the shit list.

I don't really understand that whole beard/shave thing, but even I'm not falling for that one, debaser.

I love RZA on the mic. Like, FUCKING LOVE HIM. He's amazingly bizarre. Just check his verse at the end of Ghost's 'Nutmeg' track (from 2:53-ish):

;)

I think RZA just sounds terrible on every song he's on, post 36 chambers anyway. Like he's just trying too hard or maybe he's too nasal or someting.

No doubt as a producer he's up there with Dre and Preemo, whoever. But as an MC, man, lyrics are great but the delivery is just shite.

as much as it pains me to agree with someone who i visualize actually being william hague, i do agree with you on the RZA. I much prefer it when he sits back and delivers the beats and leaves the rhymes to other people, he isn't terrible by any means, but he is dwarfed by most of the members of the wu-tang in that field. killer producer, though, fucking amazing.

I love his voice and his lisp and all that, though. His New York accent is ridiculous. He's a rapper with a speech impediment, and he talks PISH. What's not to love? You say he doesn't hold his own around other Wu MCs, but he's got the best verse on this big, packed-out Wu-Tang posse-cut:

... mostly because of the delivery. Man, I just LOVE his delivery. He sounds fucking deranged. And what about his lunatic turn on the Gravediggaz album? He is frankly amazing to hear on that.

[quote name='Palo Alto' post='6405391' date='Sep 11 2009, 09:53 PM']Lest we forget the best example of key change and vocoder in the same track ;)

Game got real in '84:

[url="http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/living+on+a+prayer/video/x3me93_bon-jovi-living-on-a-prayer_music"]Prayer Baby[/url][/quote]

And the key change follows an odd bar of 3/4, too! Out there stuff!

At least the vocoder is used on background vocals though...

A whole lot of shit being talked in here about The RZA. In my opinion he's the most underrated Wu emcee of all.

[quote]Aiyyo, camouflage chameleon, ninjas scalin your buildin
No time to grab the gun they already got your wife and children
A hit was sent, from the President, to rage your residence
Because you had secret evidence, and documents
On how they raped the continents[/quote]

etc.

[quote name='Calashnikov' post='6405998' date='Sep 12 2009, 02:01 AM']And what about his lunatic turn on the Gravediggaz album? He is frankly amazing to hear on that.[/quote]

His verse on 1-800-Suicide is actually indescribably amazing.

[quote name='the_debaser' post='6405812' date='Sep 12 2009, 12:06 AM']Musical crimes?

Number 1 is clearly whenever anyone spells out a word in a song. Even the mighty RAGE on Know Your Enemy were guilty of this with D-E-F-I-A-N-C-E. Fuck sake lads, I know how the word is spelled.[/quote]

Pulp's F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E. is a masterpiece.

[quote name='SM47' post='6406061' date='Sep 12 2009, 03:23 AM']A whole lot of shit being talked in here about The RZA. In my opinion he's the most underrated Wu emcee of all.[/quote]
w3rd. I was almost getting up in the middle of the night to come and post his '4th Chamber' verse, but you saved me the hassle. Protons, electrons always cause explosions :)

Crimes in music? I hate good tunes with an ill-fitting rap verse clumsily inserted in the middle 8 that completely kills them.

To add my voice to the Daft Punk debate, I'm not much of a fan of their post-Homework material, but I did really, really like Alive 2007. :)

[quote name='VermilionSands' post='6405800' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:58 PM']As for musical crimes, remix albums never really work, do they? I can think of about two good ones.[/quote]

Here are two that are fanfuckingtastic!

[img]http://cache.interscope.com/images/local/300/B000002OQH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-Zt1qnhsiHk/SSbIhSh33RI/AAAAAAAAFvc/NAnsO0bb-gs/s320/life.jpeg[/img]

I'll take a bet that those aren't the two you were thinking of though! Which ones do you like?

One of the few instances where I would condone violence against kids. Everybody involved in making this piece of shit should be thoroughly ashamed with themselves.

[quote name='Nayson' post='6406954' date='Sep 12 2009, 05:04 PM']

One of the few instances where I would condone violence against kids. Everybody involved in making this piece of shit should be thoroughly ashamed with themselves.[/quote]

Jesus, that's bad! The first thing that strikes me is the weak-ass fuzzy guitar, then that voice comes in!

[quote name='LittleJoe' post='6406972' date='Sep 12 2009, 05:13 PM']What's wrong with his voice?[/quote]
It'd be easier to answer "what's [i]right[/i] with his voice?" :)

Just a piece of info for all the confused whingers in this thread: [b]Autotune[/b] is a piece of software used to correct minor displacements of audio for any harmonic instrument, not just vocals. The effect everyone is whinging about is a type of vocoding distortion popularised by Cher a while back.

Also: the album on the whole is pretty dreadful, but the title track on [i]Human After All[/i] is a total dive. It's like 5 minutes of unintentionally misplaced torture, with absolutely no thought assigned to the progression, suspense or overall balance to the track. Which, if the rumours of the incredibly short creation time are true (the whole album being created in a weekend, apparently), comes as absolutely no surprise in the scope of this shit. Equally bad, [i]Robot Rock[/i] travels even less, and may leave you perpetually disappointed if you don't come across this song first:

Could the sampling get any more poorly chosen? Unlike other choice samplings used in Discovery (for example [i]Cola Bottle Baby[/i]), those present in HAA are not really crucial to any significant 'discovery' by the time the track is concluded.

[quote name='Liquid Myth' post='6407149' date='Sep 12 2009, 06:46 PM']Also: the album on the whole is pretty dreadful, but the title track on [i]Human After All[/i] is a total dive. It's like 5 minutes of unintentionally misplaced torture, with absolutely no thought assigned to the progression, suspense or overall balance to the track.[/quote]
You hear that, whereas my spine tingles and I get goosebumps at the chord progression. So don't be stating it all like fact. 'Human After All,' the song is a BEAST. Sometimes a rough, quick sketch of a tune is enough to evoke a primal response in the listener. I liken it to a quick, stark, expressive piece of drawing or painting, with a few minimalist, gestural, sweeping brushstrokes. Bish, bash, bosh!... And that's it. The whole album's like that for me. It's like little snapshots or postcards from the back of the mind. Little iotas of fleeting creative moments captured with sound. Heavily electronic sound. Like I said in my big review of it, it's the album for me that ties in best with the whole robotic Daft Punk mystique. Like a little glimmer of life throbbing in away amongst the technology. It's a very haunting record for me.

Musical crimes?

Without taking easy potshots at much loved MOR singer songwriters / groups I'm actually struggling to think of any. I guess I can think of marvellous talents that ended up producing shit to pay the bills later in their careers but to call their weak work a crime still isnt justified. I mean, even the Chet Atkin's Benny Hill tune has a time and place.

Okay, I guess the X-Factor and things like that have helped spawn and foster a new definition of musical crime but perhaps even that's just a natural, modern extension of what record companies and the like have been doing since day 1. Hmm.

Old horse teeth 50 pence(cent) mumbling idiot with speech impediment,
god knows why eminem decided to torture us with this guy *shudder*